Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

The most important topic raised for me was the lack of challenged in this game.

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts on paper for us. There are a lot of topics here that deserve attention and I want to share our views on them with all of you. Stay a while and listen.

Challenge

Challenge is certainly something that has value; players can’t feel a sense of accomplishment if everything in the game can be face rolled. I think many people would agree that, at launch, the game was too challenging. It was very difficult to progress through Inferno depending on your class or items and the challenge was a large part of the reason players felt like they were driven to the AH in the first place. When you present players with difficult content they will find a way to overcome it which usually means using only the most powerful items and abilities. The unfortunate side effect is it also drives players away from the play styles they feel are “just fun”. We have taken steps to improve this problem a number of ways; reducing the overall difficulty of Inferno, improving the potency of underused skills to allow players more diversity in their gameplay, and introducing Monster Power to allow players to set the game to a level which they feel is enjoyable. I think the right way to introduce challenge is to make it optional, for example having difficult content for the players that enjoy it without penalizing the players who prefer a more relaxed gameplay experience.
(...)

Gosu said: the game is not fun because it's not challenging.
Travis responded with a wall of meaningless text.

GG Blizz.
02/28/2013 11:18 PMPosted by Glock
Gosu, you have to have SOME bad affixes in this game. Some items have to roll as crap. But... the bad affixes shouldn't out number the good like 20 : 1... and if you include bad rolls on good affixes... its more like 50 : 1. Case in point, you need a few "meh" to "bad" affixes.

Universally bad affixes should absolutely not exist. Bad rolls for affixes that certain players do not want = the kind of bad affixes that are totally okay. Dont worry, they will exist in excess even the game reflected my vision.
Too many items

I cover this topic in some depth in the upcoming Item Blog that community is in the process of getting ready for release next week. I will briefly say that we agree that too many items drop and we have plans to eventually reduce the rate that players see items, while also taking measures to improve the general quality of items you do see. The end result should be fewer items that are better instead of tons of items you don’t want.

Legendary and Set items

This is a topic I’ve touched on some in this thread and it is also a talking point of the upcoming Item Blog, so I’ll just say that we agree and we want Legendary items to feel game changing.

This is awesome ! Just like the rest of the post, so thank you for communicating and exposing all of those ideas. The community needs to know where you guys are going, even if it's just a general idea. At least we now know you guys have identified some of the main issues of D3 that keep popping up in the forums.
I might play some more if the things you talked about get implemented !

BUT, two things I'd like to see adressed :
- Legendaries/sets on lower levels : right now leveling a character is, simply put, a pain in the !@#, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that bosses do not give legendaries like in D2. There's no lower level farming, and that's a shame. I'm trying to level up a DH and it's HORRIBLE (not the DH, the leveling).
- Weapon reliance on +dmg affix : weapons are the only items that rely SO MUCH on one thing to be even OKish - the damage. That's a real problem because this one affix overshadows everything else, making weapons a very VERY unbalanced/unrewarding item.
Thanks OP and Travis for the good read.
What Travis is suggesting on how things will evolve regarding character customization, items and social aspects sounds good to me and I anticipate to read more details on all this.
Side question: is Travis the new lead on D3?
03/01/2013 01:09 AMPosted by Noxifer
In a game there has to be some wrong choices, there must be a way for you to lose.

Ugh, you got me again, fella. >_<

There ARE wrong choices. Choosing stats that don't compliment and support your build is an example of a "wrong" choice. If i'm building a spec that takes advantage of non-critical damage (using skills/affixes in my OP) then that makes crit chance a BAD affix and a wrong choice. Likewise, if I find a bunch of gear that supports a certain build but I pick skills that don't take advantage of that gear, then those are "wrong" choices.

See? :)
03/01/2013 02:41 AMPosted by JohnDifool
Side question: is Travis the new lead on D3?

That's what i would like to know, me too :)
Edited by Edriel#2341 on 3/1/2013 2:49 AM PST
Gosu's responses to Travis Day in case anyone missed it:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7980249170?page=26#502

And some douchebag reported the first post. Shameful.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 3/1/2013 2:56 AM PST
03/01/2013 02:44 AMPosted by Gosu
In a game there has to be some wrong choices, there must be a way for you to lose.

Ugh, you got me again, fella. >_<

There ARE wrong choices. Choosing stats that don't compliment and support your build is an example of a "wrong" choice. If i'm building a spec that takes advantage of non-critical damage (using skills/affixes in my OP) then that makes crit chance a BAD affix and a wrong choice. Likewise, if I find a bunch of gear that supports a certain build but I pick skills that don't take advantage of that gear, then those are "wrong" choices.

See? :)

I do see. Although as of current there aren't builds which benefit from the lack of crit chance and I very much doubt, that something like this will be implemented.
Also what I was writing was more in regards to skill runes, rather than stats and affixes.

Again, I am not opposed to everything you say. I continue to claim that rushing to say that this and that are useless is noot the way to go.

After your clarification I actually managed to grasp your Nephalem Power idea. Here's my simple translation. Hopefully it will help the Game Designed grasp as well what you were trying to say:
02/28/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Travis Day
Your system idea for Nephalem Power Stat is basically a roundabout way of suggesting we re-implement the Diablo 2 skill system.

Actually after I just read Gosu's clarifications about the Nephalem Power stat and I am actually sold on the idea. The problem is that Gosu's writing is too confusing, so I am going to try and translate with few words what he's trying to explain in a wall of text (please don't try to say you explained it good enough the first time, since even the Game Designer failed to grasp the idea).

Gosu is not trying to re-implement the old Diablo2 skill tree system, he's merely trying to improve the itemization. He wants to remove class specific bonuses, so that certain item can be just as good for multiple classes instead of just one. A simple example can illustrate that.

Say I have a chest with 90Dex, 90Int, 160+Vita, 70+all resistances and +10max discipline. This chest will clearly operate the best on a Demon Hunter.
Gosu want's to replace the +10max discipline with... say 3 points of Nephalem Powers, which each class can spend on something like talent tree.
Say on my demon hunter I spend 2 points on a tallent "Increases Max discipline by 3 per point" and one point on "Increases hatred regeneration by 1.5 per second, per point".
The difference is that I can now use that chest equally on a Demon Hunter, Monk, Wizard and Witch doctor, because each of those classes would be able to distribute the 3 points to class specific bonuses. The result is that an item that was good for a single class is now good for four!
I hope this explains it better.
View profile

I agree with you on this point of being shameful.

I wonder will the OP and everyone that skimmed my first response to Gosu's OP miss the fact that I said. There is a good chance that a CM would respond to his thread. Hmm, does Travis' response make me psychic or something? Heck no, I just keep my fingers on the pulse of the forums by using diablofans.com. The quality of this thread is in the top then threads that I have read. So I could see a mile away that the chances of Travis replying was extremely high.
Actually after I just read Gosu's clarifications about the Nephalem Power stat and I am actually sold on the idea. The problem is that Gosu's writing is too confusing, so I am going to try and translate with few words what he's trying to explain in a wall of text (please don't try to say you explained it good enough the first time, since even the Game Designer failed to grasp the idea).

Gosu is not trying to re-implement the old Diablo2 skill tree system, he's merely trying to improve the itemization. He wants to remove class specific bonuses, so that certain item can be just as good for multiple classes instead of just one. A simple example can illustrate that.

Say I have a chest with 90Dex, 90Int, 160+Vita, 70+all resistances and +10max discipline. This chest will clearly operate the best on a Demon Hunter.
Gosu want's to replace the +10max discipline with... say 3 points of Nephalem Powers, which each class can spend on something like talent tree.
Say on my demon hunter I spend 2 points on a tallent "Increases Max discipline by 3 per point" and one point on "Increases hatred regeneration by 1.5 per second, per point".
The difference is that I can now use that chest equally on a Demon Hunter, Monk, Wizard and Witch doctor, because each of those classes would be able to distribute the 3 points to class specific bonuses. The result is that an item that was good for a single class is now good for four!
I hope this explains it better.

Thanks for this. Now I understand it better... so +1
HN you like little children. You understand the business Blizzard?? I think I understand it, only 10% of the players. They all understand that and you even read the article that they were removed from the release?? Well there are a lot of them have been removed. For example Kraft removed nests

in diadlo 2 who then made an auction for real money and it's called the black market and they made diablo3 protection. Made it network game. Did auction and auction for real money and thus protect themselves from piracy and the auction and is made specifically for the game

business. business. business it is necessary to understand

1.03 howling terrible confluence of things, this is for people to buy things for real money, and all that you know and ask them specifically zafeili accidental loss items + all there adding affixes not correct minimum and maximum damage. All underestimated To you buy things for real money, well, is not it possible you do not understand.

addition to, not what you get, this is a business, and Blizzard will not give you all the goodies at once. Yeah right now, a lot of debris and fall, I think they do not understand?? Naturally they all know right now, and they gather information that they make to complement the players and what they want

Let us once again, have you read the article, they were removed from the release?? not?
Why they removed all delicious with the release?? why they auction for real money??

It will only be in addition to,
Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts on paper for us. There are a lot of topics here that deserve attention and I want to share our views on them with all of you. Stay a while and listen.

I literally cried reading it.
- Technical Support
View profile

Hypersonic, a post can be "reported" for sticky purposes as well. Being that this is a highly rated post, that is the likely reason for the Biohazard sign. Not all reportings of posts are negative in nature.

- Technical Support
View profile
HN you like little children. You understand the business Blizzard?? I think I understand it, only 10% of the players. They all understand that and you even read the article that they were removed from the release?? Well there are a lot of them have been removed. For example Kraft removed nests

in diadlo 2 who then made an auction for real money and it's called the black market and they made diablo3 protection. Made it network game. Did auction and auction for real money and thus protect themselves from piracy and the auction and is made specifically for the game

business. business. business it is necessary to understand

1.03 howling terrible confluence of things, this is for people to buy things for real money, and all that you know and ask them specifically zafeili accidental loss items + all there adding affixes not correct minimum and maximum damage. All underestimated To you buy things for real money, well, is not it possible you do not understand.

addition to, not what you get, this is a business, and Blizzard will not give you all the goodies at once. Yeah right now, a lot of debris and fall, I think they do not understand?? Naturally they all know right now, and they gather information that they make to complement the players and what they want

Let us once again, have you read the article, they were removed from the release?? not?
Why they removed all delicious with the release?? why they auction for real money??

It will only be in addition to,

Just so you don't get flamed by others that aren't necessarily good at translating what a translator did poorly, I think I'll try to translate the general gist of your post.

Basically you are stating that Blizzard knew what it was doing at launch, and knowingly gave us bits and pieces to entice us to stick around as time went by, and that it is a business that is here for profit and nothing else (as in we're all essentially a business model for them), correct?

Note that I'm not judging you here. I am just trying to get a basic translation of what you are saying done correctly for others to interpret.

Specifically as it relates to Thorns, no one will disagree that in its current state is pretty lackluster, but it supports a play style that I’m sure we can capture with enough alterations to both the core mechanic and some supporting class abilities and passives.

I don't doubt that you guys can find a way to make thorns useful/fun. However, the very essence of the thorns mechanic almost screams for inefficiency due to the nature of the way this game is played. Monsters do not attack as fast or as often as you do. This means that, almost irrefutably, you are going to be able to kill monsters faster by focusing on skills and affixes that don't involve you waiting around for monsters to kill themselves. That's not to say that thorns couldn't behave as more of a supplementary style of damage dealing, which I absolutely believe it can and should. It's just that, in order for that affix to be desirable, players need to be able to take a significant benefit from it without having to focus too heavily on it.

2 weeks after launch I was posting and pushing for reflect damage to be made into a %, I'm a WD % damage reflect damage with my pets and with DoTs is how I wanted to play the game, I have not once been able to play like that as of yet.

I would like to play like that VERY much.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Idea: Have a way to upgrade gear, or have gear that you specifically find, have a +10% bonus to all stats on the item whilst you equip it.
The upgrading of gear could be something reasonably heavy, like one marquise gems gives +1 to all stats on the item, 4 marquise gems and some demonic essences add 0.5% to all %based affixes on the item. Kinda like the Horadric cube, adding a weapon with the Inferno level Staff of Herding would increase a weapon's DPS by 1.
Like really minimal things, that can be scaled up to ridiculous amounts if people did them enough. (Not that gear isn't already ridiculous with people ripping through MP10 as fast as some people do MP0.
Yes, I am writing a translator and do not know how he'll pepevel. I do not know English
Blizzard has done so knowingly and after the departure of Jay Wilson. before they release a lot of that was removed. To make more money at auction for real money.

Of course, this strategy of patch 1.05 and was ready to release the game. Understand why this happened?? Because in diablo 2 pirates made auction for real money and that's how it all began.

As I understand Jay Wilson wanted to make a good game and that there would be a lot of a lot of things had been good droa things and you at least know that the release had to be purple gems and crystal? They also removed the nest craft and more

They know that many people are not happy, and Jay Wilson. it is understood that this will happen, but the new director blew it, he made a different approach to business. They removed all and gave obetki to themselves to fill their pockets of money.

Very interesting, who buys a supplement after such treatment with the players??
Take not a happy player and he is not happy with the game, he does not get good things from the game and that he would answer, No, I do not buy a supplement, and why? No, no thank you

Well I was very surprised if the addition will sell the same quantities, but to judge right now, and to estimate how many players are not happy. Yeah right now, very few people playing this game. That
figure could be four million
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]