Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu

02/27/2013 06:54 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
But there are some players that do not care about how efficient their build is. They just have fun stomping the mobs to pieces with their chosen build. It is a for fun build after all. Not the super efficient for fun build. D2 had tons of for fun builds that no doubt many would not dare take into hell or PvP. Because those builds would get owned. Making them more efficient is not needed. Since they are for fun only.

I don't think that every build needs to be efficient. I think that there need to be hundreds if not thousands of more efficient builds. This game has the ability to facilitate this fairly easily. There are always going to be many more inefficient builds than efficient ones. No amount of balancing can fix that without breaking something else.

02/27/2013 06:54 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
I can understand your frustration. But there will always be only one BiS item for every slot. It is impossible to have two or more BiS pieces for the same slot. If you attempt that then those items are not BiS.

This is absolutely and utterly false.

This is not WoW.

Take a handful of the most efficient builds you can think of. What exactly makes them efficient? The choice of skills is one part, but gear is the other! In our current version of Diablo 3, everyone shoots for the exact same gear. So OBVIOUSLY with that kind of itemization there will exist a BiS piece that happens to have all those stats that everyone wants, or the highest concentration of them, on one piece.

However, if you have a system where items can inspire builds and class balance is not in a position where 2-5 builds stand miles above the rest, then an all around BiS piece of gear is literally impossible. It's impossible because, in a properly designed game, the affixes on one awesome item will not support the build that you are going for as well as the affixes on another item would.

A monk spec that revolves around heavy life regen, single target damage and massive passive spirit regen will not benefit so much from an item that looks like this....

Awesome Gloves#1

356 Armor
+368 Dexterity (3x Prime Roll)
+98 Vitality
AOE skill damage increased by 14%
+4% chance your skills instantly slay non elites (2x Prime Roll)
+7% chance to crit

THIS item on the other hand...

Awesome Gloves#2

380 Armor
+192 Dexterity
+6 Nephalem Power
+13% Single target damage
+21% of your single target weapon damage explodes 8 yards around you(3x Prime Roll)
+821 Life Regen (2x Prime Roll)

...would probably be BiS gloves for a Monk that is looking to fulfill the aforementioned stat desires. So while the first gloves might be a BiS item for the Multishot-spamming, MP10 farming Demon Hunter, the second gloves are going to be INFINITELY better for an exploding palm and cyclone strike-spamming Monk.

They can both be incredible items, but one is CLEARLY not suited for certain builds.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 2/27/2013 10:20 PM PST
I'm only just up to "CLASS BALANCE AND VARIETY" and I'm going to finish reading the rest later but I wanted to let you know that you have made me very very sad... You could have been a part of creating Diablo 3, it would have lived up to expectations and gone way beyond. Thanks for taking the time to write this post.

I'm a bit on the fence about the prime power system as I worry it would make people feel that they can't find the best items in the game because they are so rare. I also think certain attribute types might need extra caps, like crit damage on weapons or the number of sockets. I do think it would add to itemisation and character customisation though which would be a very good thing.
85 Human Death Knight
Would love to see Blizzard address this one post (all of it) instead of having another superfluous Ask the Devs.
OP you are a gentleman and a scholar. I am quite embarrassed for Blizzard at this moment. For the love of God, Blizzard, listen to this man. Better yet, hire him as a turnaround consultant with extraordinary powers.
Amazing post. +1 I love your ideas and think they would add depth to this game. At this moment i think the depth of this game is comparable to a console rpg ie uncharted god of war etc.

Keep gaming. <3 to all gamers
Great post, great ideas.

Blizzard, listen to this man and save your game.
I love a lot of your ideas and I hate to say nothing will be done.....

Console version is unlikely to get those changes due to hardware limitation.

If console doesn't get it, PC doesn't get it.

That's if Blizzard even SEES and wants to fix the glaring problems in this game. From what I know they're pretty happy with the state of the game, at most they might think there are some "tiny" problems, those of which do not require their immediate attention.
@DeMasked

I made a very long and detailed response to your first post regarding your issues with the prime loot and nephalem power systems but, for some reason, the post got lost in the world of the internet.

Like an idiot, I didn't hit Ctrl+C before attempting to post.

Now I find myself in a situation where I don't want to retype the whole thing, so...my apologies : /

Totally understand. I've done this plenty of times and often find it depressing to redo a detailed post and thus create a poorly done summary.

I'm still sticking to my guns when it comes to Prime Loot as it would destroy previously found items, selling items (AH/RMAH) and enrage plenty of players who bought their gear (which I don't really care about since I don't use the RMAH). Prime Loot would obviously add to the loot hunt but also take away from it as well.

So yea either make those kinds of items etheral (higher durability, unable to be repaired), BOA (which i detest), or simply add enchanting so that items can have a bonus duration in which one or more of it's affixes (randomly chosen) get the bonus.
Edited by DeMasked#1233 on 2/27/2013 10:33 PM PST
So yea either make those kinds of items etheral, BOA (which i detest), or simply add enchanting so that items can have a bonus duration in which one or more of it's affixes (randomly chosen) get the bonus.

I pick D:

All of the above:)

Meaning some that are eth,

Some that are BOA,

And some that can be enchanted for a duration.
Edited by sheltem#1166 on 2/27/2013 10:36 PM PST
Good read. Well thought out. No whining. Insightful info.

Got a thumbs up from me.
Dear Blizzard - take note. OP has many excellent ideas; let him help you make Diablo a good game.
"The fact that there are barely 6 useful affixes and a maximum of 6 affix slots on items means that people almost never have to choose!"

I think this is pretty much the best argument on why itemization fails.

This is a very well written article. I'm at the itemization section and I can't resist to post a reply. Well done, OP!

I'll continue to read the rest and will try to push all the forum buttons to attract Blizz's attention.
Finished reading it. My god its been over an hour since I started...

Just gotta get this out there though: The quote should be removed from the OP lol so that someone doesn't massive spam all that.

That being said...

Holy crap OP you know what your talking about. Serious question for you, have you applied as Game Director to take Jay Wilson's old position? I'm being serious btw, who cares if you don't meet some of the requirements they list, do it anyway. On your resume put this thread.

You have more design sense in that massive post than I think this entire game put together has.

If there was one thing that Blizzard should implement NOW it would be your itemization fix. The PRIME system HAS to come to fruition. I recall the CM's saying that the next "ask the devs" will be about itemization. Wait what? Ask them? Screw that. Have them do the prime system. Game saved guaranteed.

So many awesome ideas in your post man, you deserve recognition for this mighty feat.
very good ideas, i hope blizzard read them all :)
I'm only just up to "CLASS BALANCE AND VARIETY" and I'm going to finish reading the rest later but I wanted to let you know that you have made me very very sad... You could have been a part of creating Diablo 3, it would have lived up to expectations and gone way beyond. Thanks for taking the time to write this post.

I'm a bit on the fence about the prime power system as I worry it would make people feel that they can't find the best items in the game because they are so rare. I also think certain attribute types might need extra caps, like crit damage on weapons or the number of sockets. I do think it would add to itemisation and character customisation though which would be a very good thing.

You're absolutely right, the Prime Power system would certainly make a large number of players feel that they will never find the best item the game can offer. In reality though, is that a bad thing? Most people know that they are never going to win the lottery but they play it anyway. Now let me ask you this, if playing the lottery was a lot of fun and 100% free, wouldn't you want to play it all the time?lol

That's one of the things the prime power system actually helps to improve on! It's fun to read about someone who found, by far, the best item that will ever be found....Ever. What if that person was you? lol

You might just find one of the best items ever found for a particular build that a lot of people like to play! As for certain attribute types needing limitations, you're absolutely right again. I kind of thought that such limitations were implied but I can see why you'd think otherwise given that I was so explicitly detailed about everything else. lol

But yes, I would prevent certain affixes from receiving prime rolls. Either that, or redesign the way they appear on items and the values in which they appear. Personally, i think that if someone wants to try and get 100% crit, it should be possible with an insane amount of effort, gold and luck.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 2/27/2013 10:58 PM PST
Brilliant post

why doesnt Gosu work for blizzard?

Sadly, because he isn't the close friend or family member of a suit/shareholder of Blizzard. You think they just take anyone off the street? How many big companies do this? The other big reason that Gosu and many others like him don't work for companies like Blizzard is because he is PLAYING games. Yes the very thing that qualifies him and many like him for the position is the same reason that he does not have that job. While he is busy getting experience in what makes a game good, the current people you see as "game developers" are newbs who put their time into getting their degrees and whoring themselves into social circles of other complete toolboxes to get the job. THE CURRENT GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NOT GAMERS. This is the problem with Diablo as well as every other game created by every major company.

Note: Exceptions to this rule for the most part are Valve and to a lesser degree Riot. The reason these companies have so much development talent is because rather than hiring the best @$$kissers, these companies hire successful modders such as the talent behind games like Counter Strike and DOTA, both of which were mods to other games.

As a side note to the note: Imagine if Diablo 3 could be modded. There would be hundreds of endless dungeons, survival modes, PVP modes, as well as a plethora of well thought out, jaw dropping items probably within a few days. Probably less. The reason there isn't? Because how is Blizzard supposed to release their scheduled THREE expansions if they let the players make the extra content for free? Just food for thought.
Edited by NiXDart#1242 on 2/27/2013 11:55 PM PST
this post is the most excellent i never seen before O_O.... BLIZZARD PLEASE READ!!!

The quality of the details of the ideas are very very impressive.

Gosu very good job, and thanks for your time :) to try to make this game more enjoyble.

If you create a game with all this ideas..... TAKE MY MONEY!! xd
Edited by Athlas#1426 on 2/27/2013 11:06 PM PST
Your analysis of the problems with Itemization and Class Balance are thorough and accurate. Plus, you actually provide interesting and necessary solutions, something which most posters here do not bother with.

Also, can I "like" Gosu's post more than once, please? (Hello Jill Harrington.)
Blues read this, sooner rather than later please
I truly wish the devs cared even 1/2 as much as this OP. I really really do.....................

Been gaming for over 25 years, as much as I do enjoy D3, D2 was one of my top 5 games of all time. I can't tell you how long I waited for this game. Had a party with friends on release, a party that ended up being a group of friends playing d2 because error 37 raped us all night/morning. Since that day the disappointment feeling has yet to go away.

Do I play, yes I do. Do I have fun, yes I do.

The disappointment comes from knowing what it could be and frankly what it should be.

Its like watching your favorite fighter get trained by a group of coaches who are doing the job for the money and not for the love of the sport and the fighter. For the paycheck, not the pride.
While the fighter still may win.................

you know what f it you guys know what i'm saying

I'm still playing because I can't let go what the game might be and what the game should be.

Blizz please listen to this post. In it en lies passion, passion for a game that million, millions Blizzard!!! of people have in there heart for the Diablo series. Please help us take pride in playing this game, because i feel embarrassed for still playing, but yet i still will because of the faith. Please don't make my faith be dumb PLEASE no dumb no dumb

Thanks OP, Really, thank you
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]