Diablo® III

Item blog is out. What are your thoughts?

Travis Day ACTUALLY PLAYS Diablo 3, and he understands the problems with the game and how they need to be changed. This is the only explanation I have as to why he "gets it" when everyone else seems to fumble.

It's refreshing for once for a dev to address our concerns head on and say: "Yes, we know this aspect of the game is no good and we are taking suggestions and working to improve it."

Instead of explaining to us all the ways in which we misunderstand the choices they've made in the game design, they're taking steps to change the game.

I agree with you on this point. But I am afraid they will be taking baby steps to fix this issue. Instead of taking huge leaps.

I am afraid that this next patch will only address a small amount of the problems that itemization has. Like maybe allowing us to craft more than one item. Or maybe making only a few more affixes good for certain classes and specs.

It is kind of like taking a known issue and only fixing a small percent of what is really needed. I am afraid that they will only address around 5% of the issue, maybe a little more. While it is good that they do make this change. Changing itemization at this rate would mean that it would take an extremely long time to really fix itemization. This means it would take years of patches and maybe both expansions in order to fully fix it once and for all.

This is something that IMO would be a wrong way of going about fixing itemization. I am sure that since itemization is the number one topic here. I kind of feel like they are taking their sweet time fixing the number one issue of the game. How many players will be left if they working on fixing itemization at a snails pace? I would say not many player would be left. Just look at how many are looking forward to the next patch.

But sadly how much of what is in that blog will make patch 1.0.8. Will it be a lackluster patch that only tickles at fixing the real issue of itemization. If it does then that makes matters worse. Because it means that Blizz knows what is wrong and what needs to be done. But instead of fixing pronto they want to take forever to finally fix it. Here a hammer and chisel is needed instead of a scalpel. More so if they discuss the changes with us like Travis is doing. That way together we can make this game more awesome than what it is today. Blizz please move a little faster than a snails pace at fixing the number one issue.

If Blizz were to take a whole patch to finally fix the issues surrounding itemization. That the players would love Blizz and would keep playing. Even though there would still be other issues that still would need fixing.

The game where I am getting my idea from is a game that has been shut down for a little while. It is called City of Heroes. Here they took one whole issue to focus on adding in what the players were asking for. This would work better here in this game and especially itemization.

With that finally fixed, players would be playing looking for the special game changing items. Even though they know that their class still might be in need of a buff or even an overhaul. Even though the auction house might still need some loving care in the forums of QoL issues like being able to tell what the changes would be if you were to buy item x for your character.

I know that I could wait for other changes to come. While I would be hunting for those new items. Trying out different builds with those new items.
Reply Quote
4. shrink the amount of garbage that drops. instead of 5000 rares vs 1 worth keeping, it should be around the range of 200-400. (example)
5. give blues a 1 in a billion chance of being something nice (Diablo 2 for example, +2skills / 20 faster cast rate / 2 socket circlets) so theres actually a point to notice them on the ground.

Seems contradictory - you want to decrease the amount of garbage filtering that needs to be done with point 4, yet increase it with point 5...

not at all. remove the AMOUNT of crap that drops, improve the chance of usefull items. i never said anything about making MORE items drop anywhere.
Reply Quote
One massive problem, and one that's happened time and again with D3, is the fact that now playing becomes essentially pointless because once 1.08 hits all your found items are going to be useless again. Every dropped Legendary essentially becomes wasted now.
Reply Quote
I think that the ideas here will make this game much more enjoyable to play in the long run, if implemented properly. for example, this has een said before, but getting rid of useless affixes on legendarys and turning them into random rolls for example the wizards spike Ignores Durability Loss. Also i really really like the idea of lower level legs rolling at lv 63 but also usless affixes must be turned into a random roll like the + exp on kill, unless they were actually significant but i think again turning that into a random roll would be better. Also in regards to rares i dont think it was in the journal but they should be able to roll + skill affixes, especially on bracers, gloves, and belts, and maybe jewelry and they should all be able to roll the same + skill affixes so they can be stacked. Also really like the idea of less is more regarding rares +1 for that. And last just an idea for trying to make blues useful, make them be able to roll higher than rares but with a lot less affixes so maybe like twice as high with only a max of 2-3 affixes per item(numbers obviously just made up and not sure if they would be come OP or still useless loll) so for example a brace could roll 12 crit chance 200+ int and 65 all resist.
Reply Quote
I m interested in Lv 63 EF Doest it already extreme overpower with +0.21 to 0.22 attack per sec? ....I hope the Dev can address this issue...

NEVER simple do the math adjustment but rethink what should be do. D3 need balance but not BIS.
Reply Quote
Now that's the spirit!!!!

This the best developer feedback the community received in almost one year.

Dear Mr. Travis Day

Go ahead...It seem you are the one who will rescue this game from death.All community support you.
Reply Quote
The idea sounds good as a read. Adjusting stat ranges to give items better or closer to better stats. Then allowing lower level Legends/Sets to roll higher to compensate for the lower amount of overall stats. (in other words less items in the range)

It's an idea & nothing more. What ends up being implemented could be different (I don't think so though. they announced it so it's safe to say that's the goal atm.)

Personally what I don't like about it is what has been mentioned a lot. That is that the D3 is becoming more like D2. What I mean by that is this is Diablo 3 & if the devs can't/couldn't come up with an original enough idea to separate D2 & D3. Then they shouldn't have bothered making another game.

I know this goes against what a lot of people on the forums have been crying about since the release. But I truly believe that if D3 was simply an updated version of D2 then it wouldn't have sold half as many copies & there would be more people complaining about the game, for different reasons.

I also see other changes planned for the future of the game. The PS3/4 version will become the primary interest of Blizzard. Since there's no plans for those users to have access to a RMAH or GAH. (to my knowledge atm. I hope that changes) They will also be removed from the PC version to bring the two in comparison with each other. Since the Devs are working towards making up-gradable item drops more frequent, as they will need to be for the PS version. I'm not saying that's good or bad. Just don't be surprised about what the future brings.
Edited by Blade#1800 on 3/6/2013 1:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
The item hunt is core to the Diablo experience and we're determined to make it even better in Diablo III.

Better? So it was good back then and now? Item hunt is so good that everybody (All characters across the board, w/c includes all builds) Search for the same stat. That damn trifecta
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Travis Day
Wait wait, who's Travis Day?

That would be me.

Just wanted to pop in real fast to try to set the record straight since I've seen some confusion surrounding that question. I'm not the same Travis Day that works at Activision, though I do occasionally get emails intended for him and we have had some laughs over that in the past. I've been a game designer at Blizzard for about 8 years. I used to work on World of Warcraft, some of you may have seen me at early Blizzcons on WoW panels. I transferred to the Diablo team because, like the rest of the development team, I am passionate about the game and wanted to help contribute to making it even better.

Hope that answers your question.

I can`t find your name in the Diablo 3 Credits list :(
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 12:50 AMPosted by lol
It is plain obvious (and has been for a while) that we need much less garbage drops and higher quality on the drops we actually get. I strongly recommend you not only introduce more competitive rolls aside from the trifecta ones, but also to nerf the trifecta ones, including the effect of emeralds (and now maybe also rubys) in weapons. See, by reducing the effect that they give in weapons you make the socket roll less important.

I say that they do not have to nerf the trifecta in order to get players to choose alternatives. The reason is that if they nerf the trifecta then introduce something that is as good as the trifecta was then you would have a new trifecta that replaces the old one. If the alternative is just as good as the newly nerfed trifecta. Then it is an across the board player nerf, which would not be good at all.

What Blizz needs are alternatives that will be just as good as the trifecta as far as performance is concern. Where a player that choose an alternative will still get the same performance as he would with a trifecta. Now if the new alternatives are build related. Then they need to be better than the trifecta. Where the new alternatives will make the build even stronger.

Alternatives where the damage and survivability does not take a dip.

As with armor, remove the junk rolls (you know which ones they are, globes and so
on), and rethink how damage mitigation works from stats. currently armor is clearly
the strongest (gained from strength), while Int (res) and Dext (dodge) are fairly
worthless to gather for classes who do not have them as their main stat.

What do you have when the only rolls on the gear are what we normally look for on our gear. That means you will still have the trifecta as the only solution. Because that is all that players would have on gear. That is why the devs have to make the remaining affixes competitive or replace them with ones that would be competitive. It is that simple, just removing only makes the trifecta the only thing that exists. Then nerfing it without having anything there to take it's place is a nerf to the players.
Reply Quote
The idea sounds good as a read. Adjusting stat ranges to give items better or closer to better stats. Then allowing lower level Legends/Sets to roll higher to compensate for the lower amount of overall stats. (in other words less items in the range)

It's an idea & nothing more. What ends up being implemented could be different (I don't think so though. they announced it so it's safe to say that's the goal atm.)

Personally what I don't like about it is what has been mentioned a lot. That is that the D3 is becoming more like D2. What I mean by that is this is Diablo 3 & if the devs can't/couldn't come up with an original enough idea to separate D2 & D3. Then they shouldn't have bothered making another game.

I know this goes against what a lot of people on the forums have been crying about since the release. But I truly believe that if D3 was simply an updated version of D2 then it wouldn't have sold half as many copies & there would be more people complaining about the game, for different reasons.

I also see other changes planned for the future of the game. The PS3/4 version will become the primary interest of Blizzard. Since there's no plans for those users to have access to a RMAH or GAH. (to my knowledge atm. I hope that changes) They will also be removed from the PC version to bring the two in comparison with each other. Since the Devs are working towards making up-gradable item drops more frequent, as they will need to be for the PS version. I'm not saying that's good or bad. Just don't be surprised about what the future brings.

I say that this game will become what it should've been. Not a reskinned version of D2, but a huge improvement on D2. They still will be more than enough differences in this game that will clearly distinguish it from D2.

Also I say that the console will not be the primary concern. That is because a different team will be working on the console version. It will not be the same dev team for the PC. Also the AH's will not be going anywhere anytime soon. They will stay here forever. Also I do not think that when we are considering the really high end gear portion of the game. I do not believe that the next upgrade would come within ten minutes of play.
Reply Quote
I would prefer to read a discussion called, "what was wrong with D2 itemization and how we fixed it in D3'. instead it seems to be an apology for allowing endgamers and rmah greed to destroy the core of what makes an item hunt game fun. and what I read isn't very encouraging either.

the item hunt needs to be fun throughout the game, not just for the endgame.

im currently in my first run through of the game, act I inferno. I have yet to find a set item or a legendary that I can/want to use. my wizard is using a 2h mace. I got to hell before I NEEDED to use the acuton house to keep the game playable and then I was able to quadrouple my dps for 50k. which makes me feel like ive been wasting my time with artisans and picking up loot at all. just farm gold and buy it in the ah, derp. wait let me guess, artisans are fun once you've completed inferno and are max lvl paragon, right?

sigh, fix everything wrong in the above paragraph before you tell me how youre going to make the game more interesting for the end gamers.
Edited by Ragic#1455 on 3/6/2013 4:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would prefer to read a discussion called, "what was wrong with D2 itemization and how we fixed it in D3'. instead it seems to be an apology for allowing endgamers and rmah greed to destroy the core of what makes an item hunt game fun. and what I read isn't very encouraging either.

the item hunt needs to be fun throughout the game, not just for the endgame.

im currently in my first run through of the game, act I inferno. I have yet to find a set item or a legendary that I can/want to use. my wizard is using a 2h mace. I got to hell before I NEEDED to use the acuton house to keep the game playable and then I was able to quadrouple my dps for 50k. which makes me feel like ive been wasting my time with artisans and picking up loot at all. just farm gold and buy it in the ah, derp. wait let me guess, artisans are fun once you've completed inferno and are max lvl paragon, right?

sigh, fix everything wrong in the above paragraph before you tell me how youre going to make the game more interesting for the end gamers.

Since you're new, I'll fill you in. Nothing matters in D3 until you hit 60... Level your toon to 60 (most can get it done within a few days with MP settings on Hell, casually playing. (I've had friends reach 60 within 8 hours of their toon) So no, the devs won't be spending a good portion of their time doing anything to low level content...
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 3/6/2013 4:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
which sounds a lot like an mmorpg that has given up on attracting new players to its game and are despartely trying to hold on to the old addicts. D2 had way more longevity than this. why did they feel the need to fix what wasnt broken?

it really feels like this game was designed around the existence of the AH, and balanced around it as well and that's wrong on every level. just... wrong. Ive only bought one item from the AH and I feel dirty for doing it. the AH is the devil to a game like this and I wish they would put in a ;self found' setting so I can actually feel proud of my build instead of feeling like im self gimped.
Edited by Ragic#1455 on 3/6/2013 4:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
if we were able to upgrade our skills (ie. upgrade the skills that do damage, upgrade the skills that give crit. chance, upgrade the skills that heals or boost vit. etc.) then we would become less gear dependent!!! what would be a valuable item would not be as obvious as a 'tri-roll' and other affixes will come to the fore. hell, if you were good on damage and crit dmg maybe you'd even socket your weapon with one of the other gems! simply put, the issues with itemization will not go away by simply adding more affixes or buffing the current ones. players need other avenues to boost their main stats OTHER THAN ITEMS!!

(i feel like i'm taking crazy pills)
Edited by telestasis#1604 on 3/6/2013 4:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

I say that this game will become what it should've been. Not a reskinned version of D2, but a huge improvement on D2. They still will be more than enough differences in this game that will clearly distinguish it from D2.

Also I say that the console will not be the primary concern. That is because a different team will be working on the console version. It will not be the same dev team for the PC. Also the AH's will not be going anywhere anytime soon. They will stay here forever. Also I do not think that when we are considering the really high end gear portion of the game. I do not believe that the next upgrade would come within ten minutes of play.

I hope your right but when they announced the PS3/4 inclusion to Diablo 3. 90% of the game changes suddenly make sense instead of thinking they were included due to a minority of players that complain on the forums. Then when you also include the fact that the PS3/4 development would have been in the works before D3 was even released, it doesn't look good. But I'm looking at this from a business side instead of a gamers perspective.
Reply Quote
I think everyone needs to take a good look at what these changes will bring, and one of the most important things is, the nerf on drop rates. Say for example people may be getting 1-10 legendaries per week (rough ball park figure to include everyone), in the proposed patch that figure will most likely drop down to less than one per week. Items such as mempos will have to have their drop rate dropped down to 1/10th of their current drop rate (thats minimum to keep the game in balance). There is no talk about increasing drop rates (that would kind of just ruin the game if affixes are getting less randomised). Pretty much all legendaries accross the board will have to have their drop rate decreased by a significant amount to prevent overflooding, and I guarantee the devs within 2 weeks of those changes people will complain harder than ever before. These changes would be good if there was a significant amount of alternatives being added accross the board all with realistic drop rates with regards to the item's affixes and "worth". Right now people get a moment of excitement when they ID a legendary item (not with Frostburn gloves. . . wtf >.>) but none the less its still some fun. Just imagine if you rarely got anything decent to ID . . . it would suck wouldn't it :(

In my opinion, everyone needs to chill until theres enough content to make these changes work or else its gonna be even more frustrating.
Reply Quote
So after reading the blog, what I got from it was (and this is the simplified summation)....

Diablo 2's itemization model. Which is what people have been asking for since a week after launch.

I'm sure Blizzard and the D3 team don't believe it's the same and they would no doubt try to spin it as being something revolutionary or special. But it boils down to being D2's itemization model with maybe a tweak or two (though I haven't seen any that stand out) and taking advantage of the tech that wasn't around for D2's days.

It's both amusing and pathetic reading through the blog. Amusing because this is what we've been asking for for so long. Pathetic because Blizzard is finally doing what's best for the game but trying to spin it as some "OMG! LOOK AT THIS!" idea (that's how it's coming across).

I wonder if runes and charms will be in the expansion? Oh, silly me, of course they won't be! They'll be called something different and work almost exactly the same way.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]