Diablo® III

Item blog is out. What are your thoughts?

Hammer Jammers and Logan's Claw with ilvl63's properties?

CAN'T WAIT TO TOUCH THIS!

This item blog post really made me excited.
Edited by marmarinho#1923 on 3/5/2013 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice preview, I like it, however its gonna be a long time before they add this stuff.

I really like that they flat out admit to some problems, rather then trying to sugar coat it.
Reply Quote
The ideas sounds pretty exciting. However, it seems those are still on the table. It is a bit sad there is no timetable for us to see when those may implement.
Reply Quote
I am really excited for this patch. Itemization has always been a major area in needed of change in Diablo 3, and I think this patch could bring a lot of people back to be more interested in the game.
Reply Quote
Sad to know though that most of these solutions have come from players, not Blizzard employees. And they are the ones getting payed for using your ideas :) Funny how the game developers themselves cant get anything right, not even after 10 years of development and 10 months after release without the help from the playerbase.
Edited by dLux#2874 on 3/5/2013 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
they want a gold sink? let us upgrade all the crummy legendaries we have to ilvl 63 via the blacksmith for a price
Reply Quote
Wait wait, who's Travis Day?
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 03:58 PMPosted by dLux
Sad to know though that most of these solutions have come from players, not Blizzard employees. And they are the ones getting payed for using your ideas :) Funny how the game developers themselves cant get anything right, not even after 10 years of development and 10 months after release without the help from the playerbase.

I know right? At some point I just got so frustrated with Blizzard that I said I wasn't going to provide feedback anymore b/c the time I put into it and what I actually get out of it isn't worth posting all this information.

They said that Identify All wasn't possible due to technical reasons. I made a post one day (I think it was post-patch) saying that all they needed to do was program it like a script (identifying sequentially, one by one, automatic). Now all of a sudden it's coming in 1.0.8? The very next patch? They're the programmers so I'm wondering why such a simple solution wasn't thought of before?

Let me get one thing clear, I'm very appreciative of devs and CM's actually listening and putting these ideas into practice. Most of the ideas I throw out there have resonated very well with the community and the ones I asked for, that wasn't changed, were eventually changed and went on to positive reaction.

It's just that, patch after patch, things get a little better, and then go way downhill again (such as the recent .09 cents per mil). It just makes me feel like my time is being wasted, and that, along with the community weighs me down and stresses me out. So yeah that's why I seem to act a bit like a jerk at times, but I do want to contribute to better the game.
Reply Quote
Although I like the base ideas it's still quite ambiguous on how far they will go with this and how it will affect current leg/set/rare items so too early to tell.
Reply Quote
Game Designer

That would be me.

Just wanted to pop in real fast to try to set the record straight since I've seen some confusion surrounding that question. I'm not the same Travis Day that works at Activision, though I do occasionally get emails intended for him and we have had some laughs over that in the past. I've been a game designer at Blizzard for about 8 years. I used to work on World of Warcraft, some of you may have seen me at early Blizzcons on WoW panels. I transferred to the Diablo team because, like the rest of the development team, I am passionate about the game and wanted to help contribute to making it even better.

Hope that answers your question.
Reply Quote
For the guys that think BOA are making life so wonderful for casual or poor players....

I would just say your right... but that is only for the very short term. The BOA items are so OP with so little effort that the FUN (aka High) of quickly crafting all that gear will quickly burn out, as you reach a high level of gear in those slots.

Then what are you going to do? The casual rare's and legs will be even more useless then before, and your likely hood of crafting something better than what you have will continue to drop. Soon you will be left with the same empty feeling, except now you only farm for crafting materials, and loot becomes a once long forgotten term.

I don't believe it was intended to make Crafted items so easily BIS... But that's just me.

At least they are raising the bar on item quality all round in coming patches... who know's where we will end up. :)

The crafted BiS items may very well lead to boredom for casual players. On the other hand, if you combine them with an expanded pool of legendary items that can now roll with ilvl 63 stats, the door to more builds will open. This is because BiS crafted items can compensate for poor rolls on other items and boosted stats on legendaries will reduce the downside to using the more interesting pieces. This will potentially inject new life into the community and trade system that is sorely needed.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather see threads about fun item combinations and builds rather than threads complaining about itemization or flippers. More importantly, I'd like to use a viable build that isn't cookie-cutter.

It's a band-aid, to be sure, but there is a potential for a lot more good than harm.
Reply Quote

03/05/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Travis Day

That would be me.

Just wanted to pop in real fast to try to set the record straight since I've seen some confusion surrounding that question. I'm not the same Travis Day that works at Activision, though I do occasionally get emails intended for him and we have had some laughs over that in the past. I've been a game designer at Blizzard for about 8 years. I used to work on World of Warcraft, some of you may have seen me at early Blizzcons on WoW panels. I transferred to the Diablo team because, like the rest of the development team, I am passionate about the game and wanted to help contribute to making it even better.

Reply Quote
this is the first time i thought blizzard has shown they understand the problems with diablo3. this is a massive step in the right direction.

these are the problems we have all been talking about from day one and they got ignored. you talk about gear changing the builds and this is a great thing. we need more option on the gear to boost skills to make new builds. but i think before that would really work right the skill system needs to be redone an fixed . we can't have all out damage being based off our main hand weapon. it should be based off our skills. skill trees should be brought back first prolly because it will change what you do with gear
Reply Quote
I am praying for that expanded legandary pool will hit 1.0.8! Best improvement ever! :)
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Travis Day

That would be me.

i don't know when you transferred or how much you much these ideas are yours. but the blog you posted is the first time it seemed like blizzard had a clue about whats wrong with diablo3. i hope the ideas suggested here are just the first step. they are a great first step but still need alot more attention then was suggested. i have been think blizzard had lost touch with the fan base and no longer knew why we played there games. i hope this is a sign that finally someones on the diablo3 team gets it. everyone was just making excuses for the failures.your post has given me hope that this game will be saved. can you please tell me if you guys plan to bring skill tree's back? or atleast redo this failed state and skill system we have now?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]