Diablo® III

Item blog is out. What are your thoughts?

A great step in the right direction, however; It will also help if useless stats don't roll on items. For example, having Dexterity, Strength, Intelligence and Vitality on one item, seriously? What a joke. How about items roll like this: (High) Intelligence only, or Intelligence with Vitality. / (High) Strength only, Strength with Vitality, etc.

This will greatly contribute to the items, to not feel like vendor trash.

Also, there are countless of useless affixes that has to be buffed or removed from the pool. Things like:

*X Life after Kill
*Melee attackers take X damage

I also see another problem with how you want to "Improve" legendaries; If it is going to use up one of the current affix slots, you will create a restriction that will bottleneck the item. I really hope that you decide that it will count as a additional affix to the item, otherwise they will become worse, not better, we don't need more restrictions, but more freedom.
Reply Quote

Hey, maybe Travis is a Improvement Goblin!

We should kick him when he spawns to get more enhancements from his bag!
Reply Quote
Hey Travis! Thank you for the activity you have honored us with as of late! Enjoy reading everything you write, because I can feel the love for the game in all of your posts. Reading the itemization article just released I was pleased to see some of the changes we have asked for are soon to come. Another great step in making this game LEGEND.... wait for it... DARY!!! But as a huge fan myself I have to ask you if their is any long term thoughts about adding different affixes as well? The cool factor on items such as the ethereal boots is an amazing idea, and having items drop less but with more is even better but at some point in the future will we see even larger changes? In particular the article that Gosu wrote had some really great ideas that left me hungry. If I was reading similar words as expansion changes or a series of patch notes I think I would be in tears. His passion mirrors my own and I believe yours as well.

In closing thank you for strive and ambition to make this game what it can be. You being the voice of Blizzard as of late for Diablo 3 has really left us all with a sense of excitement at whats to come! Glad to be along the ride with you.
Reply Quote
As a dual cc user I feel that this is a great thing. I feel the same about BOA too. When I first started this game it was fun but soon became frustrating really fast. None of the items I have been picking up was good and I could not advance further. Killing Inferno Diablo took four of us but it was no achievement as I could not do it solo. Then I tried AH, oh what a feeling. For real money I could be god like and not have to worry about farming. Yes it's like cheating to win but I lost my faith on possibly finding any good items. With BOA I am back to farming and crafting. I am actually excited again. I came so close to beating my vile wards and maybe one day I will. I even started to craft for my monk. As for yellows and legendaries, I basically just salvage them without even looking at the stats. I already know they will be worthless. With the new itemization I will be farming again and hoping for the best. I will play like it was meant to.
Reply Quote
Leoric farmer will now QQ... price in AH for Leoric will tank.
Reply Quote
Thanks Travis for adding a little extra transparency in reguards to a developer's opinions on Itemization and the future of D3. Kudos to you sir! Lets continue the discussion and add constructive ideas to the topics that were brought up...

Modifying existing Items

I've been saying this since launch in reguards to modyfying existing items via crafting mats-allow brimstones and/or demonic essences to be used to modify existing gear via new item roll (using common oversaturated mats) and targetted affix roll/s (using brimstones and/or demonic essences). This would help address the issue of too many trash rares and add a level of complexity/depth to existing legendaries. Clearly the method of modifying targetted affix rolls would have to "cap out" at a certain range to avoid items having the potential to surpass BIS legendary/rare drops in terms of stats.

Vanity and Character Customization

Please for the love of Odin address the lack of character customization and Vanity. It is these 2 factors which add depth and interest in any time sink-especially in D3 where players have hundreds/thousands of hours invested to particular toons. Vanity rewards are indeed a form of endgame content that could easily be added as rewards for achievements or possibly timed event rankings. By adding vanity rewards you kill 3 birds with one stone--players get endgame content, character customization and the achievement system becomes relevant. I am pleased to see that the team realizes that VANITY needs to exist in any game with such a significant time investment! +1

Item Permanence Issues/ Removing Items from the Economy

In reguards to item permanence and stimulating the D3 economy I can see only two possible solutions. 1) Make items BOE to inject a sense of consequence into the item hunt/character gearing. 2) Give all items a set of charges (possibly 10). Once an item is equipped on a different character it loses a charge. When all charges are gone, the item is lost-possibly converting into a brimstone to mitigate any disheartening feelings of loss. This simple implementation would make gearing decisions to be more thought out and strategic. Furthermore, it would remove items from the oversaturated economy while restoring balance and value to actual amazing/BIS pieces.
Reply Quote
Ahem. Corey, you've always taken the easy way out.
Another great step in making this game LEGEND.... wait for it... DARY!!!

!!!

A fellow HIMYM fan! I just got done watching S6 finale and I did use that line earlier but no one knew what I was talking about :(
Reply Quote
Sounds nice and all, but I don't feel excited for the new blog or the ideas coming.

Everything they've done so far hasn't had any big impact on me or anyone else.

Tweaking drop rates is just a band-aid on a gushing wound.
Reply Quote
I63 legendaries sounds really cool

I really would love to see Thunder god's Vigor be useful again - I love that belt...
But with internal cooldowns on item procs and proc co-efficients on skils even with 50% chance,

it's actually like 4% chance for tornadoes.. when I saw this belt I SOOOO wanted it to be like electrified monsters --- I wanted my barb to be the Real THUNDER GOD!! LIGHTNING EVERYWHERE

but it turned out to be incredible mediocre, even using bash it only went off very very rarely.

^^^ these items are the ones that could be awesome... but they should have 100% and just be effected by the skill co-efficients and no internal cooldowns - the damage was minimal- but it was still such an awesome item,

i'd even suggest them to have more than 100% chance to cast,... so they are more common on the skills that are op with life on hit and such ...

for example.. new thunder gods has 250% chance to cast... use bash anything over 100 = 100 always cast.

use tornadoes (.08 proc) ... 0.08 * 2.5= 0.20 chance to cast... (still too low.. IMO)

this way your tornadoes aren't super over powered by life on hit again .. but the item is actually useful = AND FUN ..

it doesn't need to have stats that compete with WH or IK belt... it needs to be a fun alternative.

the idea of Call of the ancients is pretty cool

but I agree with GOSU's comment.... the problem with this is that it makes it mandatory for use with that skill... the problem is that the skill still sucks unless you use this item..

it should be the skill is awesome... this item can make it more fun...

the idea of running with the ancients full-time sounds awesome... but the core problem is the skill sucks to begin with ...

I dunno how the scaling works with proper WD pet scaling.... but if they can't survive the same MP as me... they are useless anyway.

2 hydras sounds like cool fun... and I'm ok with this idea.... the premise is still the same... hydra wizs suck unless you use this item.

the other thing I would LOVE to see is elemental damage weapons actually be useful!!!
fire damage crits should light people on fire.

---They said this was taken out after internal testing because people found they just used the highest DPS and ignored the effect.

.... pretty sure that's what people are doing now anyway ... highest DPS black weapon ... elemental dmg = weapon instantly worse.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/thunder-gods-vigor
Reply Quote
2 hydras sounds like cool fun... and I'm ok with this idea.... the premise is still the same... hydra wizs suck unless you use this item.
I dunno man. I recently tried an IAS Spectral Blade build with Hydras in it and even at 50k DPS Hydras helped me clear large trash packs really quickly.
Reply Quote
high IAS lightning hydra is awesome single target dps. I run a pure Electrocute build, with only blizzard for the slow mechanic + 20% damage passive. Lightning hydra is _awesome_. Having two would be so freaking sweet.
Reply Quote
View profile
Travis Day ACTUALLY PLAYS Diablo 3, and he understands the problems with the game and how they need to be changed. This is the only explanation I have as to why he "gets it" when everyone else seems to fumble.

hmm is that why the games wasnt like this at release? is that way it took almost 1year to patch it up, to be someone ok?
Reply Quote
View profile
Travis Day ACTUALLY PLAYS Diablo 3, and he understands the problems with the game and how they need to be changed. This is the only explanation I have as to why he "gets it" when everyone else seems to fumble.

hmm is that why the games wasnt like this at release? is that way it took almost 1year to patch it up, to be someone ok?

Given that we haven't heard from him very much before, perhaps he's only now gaining some kind of influence over the direction of the game?

Hard to say, but I like what I hear from the guy. He sounds like a gamer, which gives me hope.
Reply Quote
very good, lesser worthless rare item.

for every alkeizer run where i pickup only rare, legendaries and set items, i need to go back to base, two times in a run, to identify and to sell them....

and selling the rares is far faster than salvaging them.....
Reply Quote
very good, lesser worthless rare item.

for every alkeizer run where i pickup only rare, legendaries and set items, i need to go back to base, two times in a run, to identify and to sell them....

and selling the rares is far faster than salvaging them.....

don't pick them up? you only need to pick up 63 weapons pants gloves amulets rings maybe
Reply Quote

It's refreshing for once for a dev to address our concerns head on and say: "Yes, we know this aspect of the game is no good and we are taking suggestions and working to improve it."

Instead of explaining to us all the ways in which we misunderstand the choices they've made in the game design, they're taking steps to change the game.

Could not have said it better myself +1
Reply Quote
The item blog is thin on what they are going to do about less-then-desirable affixes, like Thorns, Ignore Durability loss, single resists, replenish life and such.

Thorns, as we know, may scale with your primary damage stat. All well and good. Still useless for all three of the ranged classes. A stat, useless for 60% of the classes, still isn't fixed.

Ignore durability loss? Come on. Take it right out.

Replenish life may be a bit better when the increase stat allocation for higher level monsters. None of this 68 life/sec on 63 elite item.

Single resists? I thought you were going to increase this stat allocation markedly.

Like I said, the blog is thin on what is happening with some of the more useless affixes that make it nearly impossible to roll something worthwhile.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Veda
Leoric farmer will now QQ... price in AH for Leoric will tank.

Not necessarily, assuming that in the future 1.0.8 or beyond, lower level legendaries will be able to drop in inferno with ilvl63 stats, this will also mean that Leoric's will now potentially have a higher level requirement of 60.

Pre 1.0.8+ leorics will still be valuable if this is the case as they still have use as a power leveling tool.

If the scenario is one in which they maintain their original level requirement then yes, the value of leorics will drop.
Reply Quote
Not necessarily, assuming that in the future 1.0.8 or beyond, lower level legendaries will be able to drop in inferno with ilvl63 stats, this will also mean that Leoric's will now potentially have a higher level requirement of 60.
This item will still be dropped at low levels. Except that if it drops in Inferno, it will roll ilvl 63.

Unfortunately, Leoric's was designed for lower levels and therefore won't have an effect at ilvl 63. Leoric's has no random affix rolls. The core item itself has to be changed for the ilvl 63 version. Main stat needs to be 150-170 and crit needs to be range from 4.5 to 6.0%.

It's this kind of little attention to detail that need to be addressed when they go to work on adapting legendary items for Inferno.
Reply Quote
Items dropping at any level... anyone remember Sacred2? That game had so much potential, but never took off.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]