Diablo® III

Monk Passives: OWE vs other passives.

Hello
I am a new HC Monk working my way up to 60. I have not played a Monk in SC because imo he's suffering from an idendity crisis there (all about dps grind, not about survival skills).

Anyways, I read up about proper gear in another post written by some dude called Namless. I learned a lot about how to gear a Monk properly, foremost about stacking Armour and AR + Vit for EHP and the philosophy survival before DPS.

Ok, so I have already spend time finding gear on the AH accordingly, including a lot of AR gear.

Now here is my question: Why is everybody swearing on OWE when you can get a decent amount of AR from gear in general?

Let me rephrase this another way: when using OWE, you give up your opportunity to use a passive slot for something else.

Of course I know that normally one resist stat is always a bit better than another but I am not convinced that if I build up AR the "normal" way, that I should sacrifice a passive slot just because my actual cold res is maybe 40 points higher than my other res stats.

So far I can see OWE as being really useful when on budget and single res gear is cheaper to buy than AR gear.
[that said I myself am on a very limited budget but I got decent gear including AR by bidding, not buyouts]

So that is my main question, what do you think?

On a sidenote I would like to ask the public about Pacifism. When I first saw it I figured that will be a must have for Inferno but according to statistics, few players use that skill. Perhaps I am missunderstanding what the skill really helps for?

Less damage against:
-Charmed (I dont know which monster actually charms?)
-Immobile: jailor, frozen? Are Diablos Cages considered as Immobilizing you?
-Feared: obvious
-Stun: not sure who stuns.

I would consider this skill just for the immobalize part of it. I imagine some folks will say that it is a waste because we have serenity and NDE but I have had a few lag spikes and this could make all the difference.

Ok thats it, thanks 4 reading.
Reply Quote
I have a pretty solid monk and my budget is pretty big and I love OWE. After reading your post I started looking over my gear and started trying to figure out a way to get about the same all resist while keeping the same amount of health without using OWE. What I came up with is I would need an insane shield im talkin 100-200m and hundreds of millions of gold to replace my current poison gear with straight all resist gear. Also I would lose a ton of DPS(wearing a shield) like 30k+ dps lost.

Dont get me wrong pacifism is cool but not at the cost of atleast a half billion gold and a 30k dps loss.
Reply Quote
I stick to OWE because I use Overawe. It provides a nice team buff and I would rather not use a defensive mantra by not getting the double resist from OWE. We have a total of 13 gear slots... 12 excluding weapon. Now try getting over 800 all resist purely from gear without OWE... that means every single slot must have over 70 all resist if I want to feel safe. It's true that I'll no longer be restricted by resist types at the higher level, but this defeats the purpose of 'gear freedom' we get.

And yeah in your example if your highest resist is only ~40 higher than the rest, then there is absolutely no reason to use OWE. It's a waste of passive. For me, arcane resist is ~500 higher than the rest so the choice of OWE is more than justified in my case
Reply Quote
Appreciate the inputs

So after all its about the money. If I am interpreting correct, it's about getting 700+AR and i can see that being very expensive.

With the gear I got for relatively cheap, I come to about 550 AR unbuffed and I still have slots open without AR. I am sure I could fill that up but sacrifice something else for it.

In the end I still need to get an idea about my ehp once I'm at 60.

I suppose I must ask myself if I really need 700 AR right away. I think OWE will be better as you gear up over time.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anything really, but it seems like you aren't getting the fact that with OWE you stack all resist and one specific school of resist basically doubling up on resists. With this you should have no trouble reaching 700+ AR
Reply Quote
Appreciate the inputs

So after all its about the money. If I am interpreting correct, it's about getting 700+AR and i can see that being very expensive.

With the gear I got for relatively cheap, I come to about 550 AR unbuffed and I still have slots open without AR. I am sure I could fill that up but sacrifice something else for it.

In the end I still need to get an idea about my ehp once I'm at 60.

I suppose I must ask myself if I really need 700 AR right away. I think OWE will be better as you gear up over time.

Thanks again.

Its about gold and gear availability. Even when you have the gold sometimes the items arent there on the AH for sale and when they do pop up they are snatched up right away by one of the other rich players waiting to toss hundreds of millions at that item..
Reply Quote
In short, because you can stack gear with both ar AND and a single resist on it. For example ar+physical. That way you can easily get over 100ar worth from every piece of gear giving you an insane total.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Pzypro
In short, because you can stack gear with both ar AND and a single resist on it. For example ar+physical. That way you can easily get over 100ar worth from every piece of gear giving you an insane total.

Ah yes, that I didnt know. I thought that the highest value of one resist would replace all others. I didnt know it stacks with AR. No wonder everyone uses it.

Good stuff, thanks
Edited by Ravenor#2811 on 3/3/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Ah yes, that I didnt know. I thought that the highest value of one resist would replace all others. I didnt know it stacks with AR. No wonder everyone uses it.

Good stuff, thanks

What you thought is right. You just came to the wrong conclusion after it.

For example, if you have 10 pieces of gear each with 75 ar and 25 fire resistance on it then your total:

750ar + 250fire = 1000 fire resistance.

After you apply OWE to it it becomes 1000 resistance to everything.
Edited by Pzypro#1837 on 3/3/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Seriously, it really boggles my mind that Blizz was sooo "hindsighted" with a lot of stuff in D3.

They made such a HUUUGE deal about "Elective Mode" in which they're sure people wouldn't grasp and understand the concept of loosely assembling skills from any group and we still have at this date and time, people that don't know they can assign any skill from any group, due to stupid mode aka elective mode.

If they're so intent in making it easy for people as they claim it to be, why not take their time and make tooltips that generate a complete understanding of what the skills do. Have seen many people that don't know what OWE does, or some of our SpGen...soo loosely described...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]