Diablo® III

Studdering. How do I stop it? Need Help.

Periodically when I play the game, I'm getting brief periods of "studdering". It's not lag. It's a "pause" that lasts for a fraction of a second. It's not so bad, that I can't play the game, but it's bad enough to become extremely annoying.

Have any of you experienced this, and learned what to do to fix it? If so, what do I need to try?

I originally though it could be my computer (which was a gaming computer, able to run any game out there, with the highest graphic settings and not a slight hitch, ever). But it's two years old, so I bought a new one, just in case.. I'm getting the same problem. This is the one and only game I experience any kind of problem on.

And before I get a bunch of responses from people who tell me about how they're running on their grandmas old computer, since release, and never once experienced a single problem.. For one, I know this is a known issue because there are forums, blues posts and videos discussing it. And two, It's an issue that obviously doesn't affect every one. So if you haven't experienced this problem, or have any possible solutions that I could try, then save your breath.

I've looked up several remedies, and tried different things. Some seemed to help a little, but it's still doing it. And it shouldn't do it at all. What should I try?

So far, I've checked my driver from the device manager. It says it's up to date. I've unselected the "allows files on this drive to have context indexed" For the C: drive, and I've adjusted system for "best performance" in advanced system settings...

What else can I try? Thanks for your help!
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/4/2013 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I can't help, but I can say this.

Bringing your technical issues to general chat is a bad idea. You will be trolled, you will be made fun of, and your problem likely wont be fixed.
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 12:38 PMPosted by DonnyCage
For one, I know this is a known issue because there are forums, blues posts and videos discussing it.
Reply Quote
What's your maximum FPS set at? I had this stuttering when it was set too low.
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Hythloth
What's your maximum FPS set at? I had this stuttering when it was set too low.

It's at the default. I'll raise it up to see if that helps.
Reply Quote
Install it to an SSD drive if you have one. That is the only fix that I know works for 100% of the people.

If I have on installed on my HDD, I stay at a steady 143 fps, never higher, never drops, and the game stutters. As soon as I switched the installation to my SSD.. smooth as ever.
Reply Quote
Install it to an SSD drive if you have one. That is the only fix that I know works for 100% of the people.

If I have on installed on my HDD, I stay at a steady 143 fps, never higher, never drops, and the game stutters. As soon as I switched the installation to my SSD.. smooth as ever.

Sweet.. I'm going to try that. Thanks
Reply Quote
how do you know iff u got hdd or sdd
Reply Quote
I was getting it really bad when playing at a higher resolution. I dropped down to 1366x768 and it cleared right up. I'm not sure why, when I'd been playing at the SAME resolution since release that it started now. And with nothing installed in awhile, heck, I took at 6 month break from the game and using that PC at all. So...I dunno. I don't really notice a diff at the lower resolution either.

Hard to believe it'd be PC lag regardless the resolution:
Core i7 3820 (3.6Ghz - Quad)
32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
1.5Gb EVGA GeForce GTX 580
150Gb WD VelociRaptor 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s
Reply Quote
I have had this issue since day 1. My friends don't, but I do- and I have a better rig!!

Try this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443
Reply Quote
I have had this issue since day 1. My friends don't, but I do- and I have a better rig!!

What's strange is, my girlfriend sits right next to me, with the exact same computer. Mine is just barely a newer model.. Her's doesn't do it. Mine does. It's so annoying.

By the way, I still plan on trying the SSD route to see if it completely eliminates it. But until then, I just unclicked the framerate restrictions and that helped tremendously. I just did an Alk run to test it out. I still get the brief pause evey once in a while, but it's much less frequent. I'm determined to fix it all together.

SSD is next though.
Reply Quote

Me too. Once installed on and SSD (Solid State Drive) the game never has those issues.

The real issue is blizzards lack of good coding that causes this because all your abilities don't preload when you first start the game.

OP on you first game after you log in use all your spells, skills, and everything in town first so they preload, then head into battle. It should help you a lot.
Edited by KainDraven#1803 on 3/4/2013 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think I frequently experience what the OP is talking about. I always just figured Blizzard's Diablo servers were s***. Never have the issue when I'm playing LOL or other online games.
Reply Quote
Happened to me for last week or so and its annoying the **** out of me.

Ive ran/done:

- System Restore (thought it was my last update)
- Spybot search and destroy
- Ad aware
- Virus scan
- Defragged

Bought 8GB more memory and upgraded from 4GB to 12GB total

Upgraded my internet from 15 mbs download and 1 upload to 50mbs download and 5 upload (TWC)

I wanted to do all this just general anyway. I hate lags/fps issues I hate not being able to run multiple programs + streaming and such with any issues problems.

Still my problem remains though. I see it especially on my wizard. And this has ONLY been happening to me for the last week or so (5-7 days)

I will get mini lag spikes or delays. When in archon form not always but every minute or two I will cast the beam and it takes a second before it goes off, or after i let go of the mouse button it will still go off for another second before it stops.

Its the most frustrating thing ever :/

I even started looking at some new video cards. Currently I have ATI radeon 5700 but dont really have the money to do any significant upgrades.

I also see this on my monk, when she teleports with fists of thunder to enemies and it lags/delays for a half second.

Hope this gets fixed/resolved soon :(
Reply Quote
Okay, I FINALLY broke down and got a 16g flash drive... It works like a champ... I haven't experienced a single studder so far.

Zip posted a link, and I just followed the directions... Here's the link again...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443

So far this totally fixed the problem.
Reply Quote
Mine was fine since release. Tuesdays patch, not anymore.
Obviously my computers hardware must have changed.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
I am so glad you solved this DonnyCage...but it is "stutter" not "studder". We all knew what you meant but I the OCD in me made me point this out. Karma to you for posting an update though and letting folks know the solution worked. Happy hunting!!!
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 05:20 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I am so glad you solved this DonnyCage...but it is "stutter" not "studder". We all knew what you meant but I the OCD in me made me point this out. Karma to you for posting an update though and letting folks know the solution worked. Happy hunting!!!

oops. lol thanks for the correction
Reply Quote
You can actually put the entire Diablo III folder on a 16GB Flash Drive without having to create symbolic links just for the MPQ files. Just copy and paste the entire folder, then update your launcher icon on the desktop and/or start menu with the new file path.

Example: from "C:\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe" to "J:\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe"

J just happens to be the drive letter of my flash drive.
Reply Quote
You can actually put the entire Diablo III folder on a 16GB Flash Drive without having to create symbolic links just for the MPQ files. Just copy and paste the entire folder, then update your launcher icon on the desktop and/or start menu with the new file path.

Example: from "C:\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe" to "J:\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe"

J just happens to be the drive letter of my flash drive.

I thought about that... I didn't know why the MPQs thing with the cmd directory had to be done.. I just did it that way... I figured either way would work though...

Regardless I'm glad it works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]