Diablo® III

$1k to spend on a new desktop. need help

I have used nothing but macbooks since late 2008 and am looking to get back on the windows scene for gaming but know nothing about windows based systems. Right now I use a Retina Macbook Pro and it does OK both with the built in display and external monitor.

I know I want a desktop system to use with my external monitor. I am using a 21.5" toshiba full 1080p monitor and would like to run at max settings without any fps issues and be able to have a browser and iTunes or pandora open in the background. Most of the time I'm farming I'm also listening to a stream or music.

If all else fails ill probably just get an iMac but figured i would see what else is out there for the same budget. It seems the general consensus is that you pay way more for a mac that will give you the same performance as a windows based pc.
Edited by Keeferton#1331 on 3/5/2013 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have used nothing but macbooks since late 2008 and am looking to get back on the windows scene for gaming but know nothing about windows based systems. Right now I use a Retina Macbook Pro and it does OK both with the built in display and external monitor.

I know I want a desktop system to use with my external monitor. I am using a 21.5" toshiba full 1080p monitor and would like to run at max settings without any fps issues and be able to have a browser and iTunes or pandora open in the background. Most of the time I'm farming I'm also listening to a stream or music.

If all else fails ill probably just get an iMac but figured i would see what else is out there for the same budget. It seems the general consensus is that you pay way more for a mac that will give you the same performance as a windows based pc.

If you don't want or know how to build your own, you can get some pretty killer deals from IBUYPOWER (IBUYPOWER.COM) You can choose between some prebuilt kits or choose your own features. If you choose your own features, you should know that some dude is actually going to put your computer together and that takes a while. The kits are usually ready to go and sometimes you can find them at Costco, Fry's, Best Buy, etc. (I found mine at costco). If you don't need a monitor, you can get something great and still have cash left over.

Also, I bought my son a cheap PC without a monitor and then just upgraded the power supply and video card. The processors and ram in even a cheap computer are more than enough for most of us. He has Diablo maxed out and has no issues at all.
Reply Quote
I highly recommend building your own, even if you have no experience doing so.
Edit: There's a wealth of information available if you don't. A lot of it is simply making sure you get the right type of parts, and are able to slide a rectangle into a rectangular hole. If you've got trouble I'm sure a lot of us can lend a hand

RoG Crossfire V: ~$300
i7 3770k: ~$300
GTX 650: ~$150
Powersupply: ~$100

So, $750, and you still have enough to dump into whatever size HDD, RAM, you want.

This will be more than enough to run most games without a hitch.

I'm currently running a variation of this (although way more costly).

The 3770k is a great processor. It's 3.5 GHz (not counting turbo) out of the box. Right now I've got mine running nearly 24/7 at 4.9 GHz. I've gone higher, and would be able to sustain it, but 4.9 is enough for me (at the moment anyway) lol.

The 3770k processor is great. I do some game development, and heavily multi-task when I do. I see no slowdown regardless of how many programs I've got open - and it's usually whatever engine I'm using, 3D modelling program, Photoshop, various other programs, and many times 20+ tabs in firefox.

This combined with a GTX 680 and I smoke everything FPS-wise. If you wanted you could make the jump right away, if not and you've got spare cash later on and aren't really like your framerate the RoG motherboards have a lot of overclocking capabilities, and allow up to quad-sli/crossfire.

If you really want to game, I can't recommend a serious PC setup enough.
Edited by ChipNinja#1794 on 3/21/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
actually performance wise the a10-5800k from amd has beat the i5-3770k in fps lol. and also has a nice dual graphic feature that goes well with the radeon hd 6670. especially if you get 8gb of ram that can run at least 1800 youll get at least 10 more fps than ram with 1600. im not for certain this will run everything max on your monitor at 1080p but you wont find another better build for 600 bucks :P (600 with 1600 ram and fans for the case) if you decide you want to spend the full 1k let me know and ill put together a pc on newegg for you and send you it and itll do more than you want. just be sure you know how to put it together or freshen up ^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]