Diablo® III

Overheating. Only on D3.

Build:
2* GTX 480 SLI
I7 980 @ 3.1GHz
24 GB DDR3 1800 MHz RAM
1000W Corsair HX PSU
Watercooled

Can run everything perfectly, except D3 now it seems. Only stuff I had running when I noticed this was D3 and Ventrilo. Pretty much what happened was, had 3 Graphics Driver crashes, nearly simultaneously, then my computer itself crashed. My hardware based temperature monitor showed my cards at 135 Celsius, like wtf? I can run Crysis 2 on Max and get up to like 65 Celsius. Something is seriously wrong here. Can anyone explain why D3 would be the only thing to do this?

This overheating with D3 has been going on since the last patch, it's no wonder so many people with systems older than mine are !@#$%ing about overheating...
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ryan,

I'd think if the cards were actually hitting 135C, they'd shut down as that's quite a bit higher than the max operating temp for them. Your monitoring method may not be accurate, have you verified the readings by using one or two other apps? MSI's Afterburner should work well for that.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2602/~/what-are-the-normal-3d-operating-temperatures-for-geforce-gtx-480%2F470-graphics

As for the game overheating, you could try increasing the rpms the video cards run at or in-game, utilize the frame rate limiter settings. Keep the foreground rate at 60 or less if you're not using the vertical sync option.
Reply Quote
>Omrakos, thank you for the reply.
I've tried a couple different things. For one, I have a hard ware based temperature monitor, I also tried Speccy and MSI Afterburner to be sure.
I do believe the crash of my computer itself was actually caused by the GPUs shutting down due to the built in safety mechanisms.
I do use the Vertical Sync option, and I have after the first time it happened I used MSI Afterburner to set my GPUs fan speeds to 100% for the entiretyy of the time I play D3, and it still overheats pretty badly.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ryan,

Are the frame rates being capped at 60? Afterburner will display the fps if you have it up while playing or you can use Control-R in-game to display it on the lower right of the game screen.
Reply Quote
This issue right here. I purchased a big 1000W Enermax Power Supply for my PC, and was playing Diablo III one night. Got up to the final act and was going after Diablo... when my reference GTX 560 that I had at the time died and took the PSU with it... or perhaps it was the PSU that took out the video card. Odd, because it was working just fine the day before... and the day before that, too. I've since gotten both components replaced (I now have a Gigabyte GTX560 GPU and a Thermaltake 700W PSU)... and since that time I have never played Diablo III again.
Edited by Coranth#1426 on 3/5/2013 6:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ryan,

Are the frame rates being capped at 60? Afterburner will display the fps if you have it up while playing or you can use Control-R in-game to display it on the lower right of the game screen.

Apologies for the late response, just got home. When I press Control+R in-game, it shows me averaging about 35-40 FPS.
Reply Quote
If it's not crashing on other games or apps, I'm thinking it's not the power supply. Could it be that there's not enough air flow in your system? Have you tried running with the case open? A problem I dealt with that sounds (kind of) similar, turned out to be SSD related. My computer would shut down/crash because I needed to update the firmware for my SSD. Mind you I wasn't monitoring the temp of my GPU, so maybe you're bang on and the problem is an overheating GPU.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 05:49 AMPosted by bitterman
Could it be that there's not enough air flow in your system? Have you tried running with the case open?

I've be worried if I thought that was the issue, using watercooling XD
03/06/2013 05:49 AMPosted by bitterman
A problem I dealt with that sounds (kind of) similar, turned out to be SSD related. My computer would shut down/crash because I needed to update the firmware for my SSD. Mind you I wasn't monitoring the temp of my GPU, so maybe you're bang on and the problem is an overheating GPU.

Never know.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ryan,

03/06/2013 02:36 AMPosted by Ryan
When I press Control+R in-game, it shows me averaging about 35-40 FPS.

When you're getting this frame rate, what's the temp of the GPU according to MSI's Afterburner?
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Ryan
I've be worried if I thought that was the issue, using watercooling XD

Your Graphics cards are water cooled?

If anything's overclocked maybe try resetting to stock speeds. if you bumped any voltages, maybe reset to stock as well. It's odd that it's only happening with Diablo.
Edited by bitterman#1939 on 3/6/2013 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]