Diablo® III

Experiencing pain with playing CM/WW wiz?

So something that's kinda always surprised me is the reports of my fellow wizzies experiencing pain from keyboard spamming. So I've always been a pain-free and macro-free CM/WW wizard, so I've never really understood how people develop some pain. Yesterday, I came across this article for pain in pianists and I thought it might actually have some relevance for some of friends that experience hand/finger pain. Here's a link to the article: http://www.soundfeelings.com/free/pain-prevention.htm .

But here's some interesting tips that I noticed that might be helpful:
Sit Far Enough Away.
Distance to the piano is crucial to pain-free playing. Most people sit too close to the piano and wrongly establish this as the correct distance. Notice if you keep raising your shoulders or your wrists when you play. This is usually because you are sitting too close and your own body simply blocks the mobility of the arms. The best guideline here is to see if your elbows can touch one another when your hands are placed on the white notes directly in front of you. If not, move back.

Sit So Your Elbows are Just Below Key Level.
Height is also extremely important. Most people sit too high or too low. We really have to be more respectful of our natural body-type. Are you long-legged or long-torsoed? Usually women have long legs and a short torso, and men have the reverse. The problem is that standard piano bench height is for the short-torso person. This means that the person with a long waist will tend to tower over the piano. Why is this bad? It means that the elbows are positioned above the key level when they actually should be positioned slightly below the key level. The reason for this is that the hand, wrist and forearm should all be in a straight line, to allow the least friction on the tendons of the forearms which actually control the fingers. (See Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Prevention Tips.) People who sit too high, too low, or with a “low wrist” or with a “high wrist” usually acquire pain and ultimately tendinitis, or carpal-tunnel syndrome. This is really so unnecessary! The solution is to get an adjustable bench, or sit on a chair, so that the correct height is achieved. Also, if you perform standing, adjust the angle of the keyboards to maintain the optimal angle, so that the hand, wrist and arm are all in a straight line, regardless of the height of the keyboard itself. In otherwords, tilt the lower keyboard with the keys facing at an upward angle. Tilt the higher keyboard with the keys facing at a downward angle.

Relax Between the Notes.
Tension build-up or “cumulative tension” in the muscle system can be another cause of injury. The common practive of “practicing slowly and gradually increasing the tempo” can actually cause injuries. This is because when you practice slowly, you inadvertantly hold your hand with more tension than necessary. When you speed up, this tension is learned in! An alternative approach is to practice short groups of notes. This could be 2, 3, 4, 6, etc. notes in sequence. Play the notes as fast as comfortable and then pause. During the pause, EXAGGERATE the relaxation feeling by letting the weight of the arm hang the finger on the last note of the sequence. Wait about 5 seconds and then repeat the sequence or go onto the next sequence. Eventually, all this relaxation because learned-in and will remain when you attach all the pieces together, in an effortless manner.

Softer Equals Faster.
Many injuries lately are specific to people who play electronic keyboards. One would think that these lighter-action keyboards would be easier to play, but in fact, they are harder. This is because most people have a tendency to press harder than they would on a naturally-weighted keyboard to overcompensate for the lack of resistance. Also, we get fooled by the artificial sound levels. Because of the electronic aspect of the instrument, we become reliant on the actual volume versus the perceived volume. If we are recording, for example, the ultimate dynamic level may be very loud, but to us as performers, in our monitor, it may seem very soft. So we instinctively try to play harder to create a louder sound, when it really doesn’t help. Meanwhile, the louder we play, the stiffer our fingers become. The stiffer our fingers become, the slower we play and the more we push. The more we push, the more pain and damage we inflict on ourselves. The solution here is to keep mentally reminding ourselves as we play that “softer equals faster.” This keeps the muscle system very relaxed. Let them set the levels in the mix.
Reply Quote
that helps~!! thanks tekk my fingers are killin me so much that i've rolled a barb for ubers
Reply Quote
or just use a macro which no one has ever been banned for since launch
Reply Quote
Sure you can use a macro! I'm not insinuating that there's anything intrinsically wrong with using one. Rather I'm more suggesting that a macro isn't the inevitable solution if you're experiencing pain. Musicians have to deal with this all time, so I was thinking maybe some of their strategies might help wizzies out that might prefer to play without a macro. Pain, nor macros, are inevitable if you play CM/WW wizard. :)
Reply Quote
THANKS!
Reply Quote
Been a Piano player my whole life.

Took the tactics above into consideration long ago. Great advice, man.

Another thing that has helped me is to create..how do I put this...TWO different ways that you spam your CM skills. I for example, have two set ups.

Left Hand - Hold down 1 and 4 (In my case, that's DS and EB)
Right Hand, Hold down Left Click while repeatedly clicking tertiary button (WW and Frost Nova).

However, after a while, my right hand will begin to ache. So I then SWITCH to

Hold down Left Click
Right hand Spam 1, 2, 4. This gives my right hand a break from Spamming, and the vice versa gives the left hand a break from spamming.

Hope that helps too.
Reply Quote
Your welcome! To me, I noticed the Softer Equals Faster section is most relevant. The more I gently press the buttons for CM/WW wizard, the more relaxed are my fingers. That seems to help a lot! :D
Reply Quote
I actually played the piano for about 15 years, so my fingers are pretty built.

Though after three or so uber runs of constant 123123123123123123123, I do get a little tired (I've set up a macro since then).

...Oh, and I think it took me 2-3 months of playing with CM on and off until I realized I can just hold down left click for WW and not constantly click.

All that energy... put to good use. My right index finger is totally jacked.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 3/4/2013 1:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]