Diablo® III

Latest Developer Journal Now Up!

Community Manager
In our latest Developer Journal, game designer Travis Day talks about a few of the underlying philosophies that are driving future changes to itemization. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

Reply Quote
Sounds promising!
Reply Quote
WOW, I can't wait for this patch. I will be downloading the PTR the minute it is available. This actually has me ecstatic. It might bring more of my friends to the game as well!
Reply Quote
Very excited!

I hope you add/rearrange item affixes as Travis mentioned in his reply to Gosu. Very interested in having low level legendaries bumped up by monster level. I'm scouring the legendary pool now to see what would make a great level 63 item. Some would be VERY powerful, others would would need more work than just higher stats (hint)
Reply Quote
Love Leoric's Signet, but hate wearing a level 17 ring? Me too. Instead of farming Act II Normal to find a Leoric's Signet, let's go farm Inferno and get a level 63 version of the ring!

I like what I'm reading so far...
Reply Quote
"For example, if you are playing a Demon Hunter wielding a Rare crossbow and a Legendary crossbow drops, we want your reaction to be "Holy crap, YES!" not "*sigh* another Hellrack." It's a problem if players don't want to bother identifying their Legendaries, let alone pick them up. We want to change this."

^^ Just this part, really, when I read this I thought: "Thank God, they get it"

Very excited about these changes, looking forward to it.

2 things:

- Don't make legendaries drop the first time you kill a boss, bad idea, dropchance should be the same, keeps it interesting and people will farm everywhere, this undermines that.
- Concerning crafting and lefgedaries: what about the legendary and set items you can craft? Will those also have the same buff with the leveling up? If so: those plans could become very interesting, just a thought.

Keep up the good work!
Edited by Beast#2781 on 3/5/2013 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
Maybe I need to re-read it (please tell me if it missed this) but how does this fix poor Rare item rolls such as Bows with Strength instead of Dexterity or i63 weapons with good rolls but 300 DPS and such.

As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal.

An item with a chance for 75-100 strength (or intelligence) still stinks if your primary is dexterity.

You need to return/add The Mystic to the game and allow us to improve these items directly. If you're no longer needing to shield the Auction House from this, then allow us to improve them directly.

Finally, why are blue, white and grey items still in the game if they can't be improved or salvaged? No one uses white items after about level 8 and blues are discarded by the mid teens. Is the loot fountain effect that important?
Edited by Zuzax#1341 on 3/5/2013 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
In our latest Developer Journal, game designer http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&a=Travis%20Day&sort=time" class="bml-link-url2">Travis Day</a> talks about a few of the underlying philosophies that are driving future changes to itemization. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/

So is he going to be the new Lead Dev? I like that in 2 weeks he's posted either on the forums or in a new blog about their idea's going forward. That's more than Jay Wilson every did.(No offense to him.) Either way, the new found communication with the players has really brought me back to the game.

Off to work on my HC DH!!
Edited by Torqbow#1421 on 3/5/2013 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
If the path to 1.0.7 has overall been "steps in the right direction" then this preview seems like the "giant step for mankind". It's been a little slow coming but fixing (even improving) this [most important] aspect of the game is exactly what's needed to ensure continued enjoyment of the franchise.

I'm happy Travis posted both in response to Gosu's thread and then provided this news in such quick succession. Positive momentum is positive. Keep it up.
Reply Quote
This sounds like a step in the right direction, but there is more to fixing items overall in the game to just introducing new legendaries and fixing property ranges on item rolls.

It's a fact that the game needs more legendary and set items. I agree 100%. That being said, the devs must ensure that as new items are added that old ones are improved and not left in the cold.

As far as correcting the rolls on items to improve overall quality this is another good measure. The only downside is that if even a low roll is worth putting on the AH, then the AH will remain flooded, and the market will saturate even further. Yes, it will improve odds for many to find upgrades, but there is another way.

I've mentioned this before in a few other posts regarding itemization. Currently your average 60+ character gets about 15-20% of his primary stat from his character levels. The remaining 80-85% comes from items. In my opinion this needs to be reversed.

If players were granted more stats (and possibly control over allocating some of those stat points) it would remove some of the emphasis from the items, thus allowing the broad range of rolls and properties to be less crucial, and thus more items become plausible. I think this would help with the outcry for character customization and assist with the perception of itemization in one shot.

As for the Auction House distracting from runs... this is quite easy: Let us create named games for runs. If this is not possible, provide a checklist of game types that we can mark off when creating a game such as:

- Full Act Clear
- Key Warden
- Elite Farming
- Goblin Farming
- Brawling
- Trading

This gives players more control over their playing experience, and will make them more likely to farm then visit the AH.

Just my $0.02.
Reply Quote
+1. Thanks Blizz. I'm VERY EXCITED!!!
Reply Quote
I think these changes if implemented correctly will be the largest step in the right direction D3 has taken since release. I want want these changes to be great, but I won't be getting my hopes up. Plus, there's more work to be done than just "itemization".

I know I'm being negative but it really speaks volumes when it took almost a year to have this issue addressed. Quite discouraging. It's a shame that all that is in the blog wont be coming 1.08 but instead will be spread out across the next few updates which still leaves us months away from being addressed/fixed. Hopefully whatever else is contained in these next couple patches will be just as significant as the discussed itemization changes.

The pace of updates reminds me of the "hurry up and wait" expression from my military days.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 3/5/2013 12:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
A step inn the right direction, just don't over do the buffed legendaries now. We are already very strong, just make the useless once better, not make all new super OP items like Skorn 2.0 and so on.

Now get 1.8 out before its like summer yes?
Reply Quote
Thank you for kind of listening to the suggestion I made months ago about upgrading items.

Reply Quote
Don't just let the first kill on bosses to have better chances on legendaries. Make it all the time with 5nv in infernal.
Reply Quote
Sounds amazing! I am excited for 1.0.8! Can we get an eta on this patch?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/05/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Idahowolfcub
WOW, I can't wait for this patch. I will be downloading the PTR the minute it is available. This actually has me ecstatic. It might bring more of my friends to the game as well!

Note that (as of now) only the changes we've confirmed as being "for 1.0.8" will be going into 1.0.8 -- so things like Identify All, monster density balancing, etc.

The other changes mentioned in Travis' blog are being discussed for after 1.0.8 ships and are still in the planning phase of development.

*edited for clarity
Edited by Lylirra on 3/5/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
All this sounds like all that is being done, is taking the items already in the game and making them better. I wanted to prove something so, i started over again, in inferno difficulty, monster power 2. My wizard is level 60 + 33. Since starting the game in act 1 I have gone through everything in the act and moved on to the second. with all of my magic bonus plus 5 stacks, not 1 legendary item has dropped and all rare items are junk. What needs to be done in my opinion to make this game awesome again, is to add new quests, new caves and castle keeps, new adventures the will yield the new items and armor we are looking for to add to our characters. We have all put in a lot of time into the diablo world not only because we enjoy the game but because we want to make our characters a strong and powerful as we can. In my opinion leave the items in the game that are already in it and add a multiple array of new and more powerful items that can not only be found but earned and not bought at the auction house. I like the idea of account bound items it shows that we have either earned them or battled to get them and let us show them off. I want to keep playing this game but right now everything is the same and basically if you save enough gold you can buy anything you want so in the end everyone will have the same items with the same armor. What needs done is the addition of a ton of new legendary, rare items that a character fights for or finds so they can be customized even more. New quests and cave and castles and keeps and old ruines need to be adventured into, not only to find these awesome items but to also find new monster that protect these one of a kind account bound items, even not account bound. A new item pool has to be created or once again the Diablo fans will get to a point where the game has nothing else to offer. Lets not lets this happen give us and our character new life and new things to conquer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)