Diablo® III

Latest Developer Journal Now Up!

Sounds very good!!! =)
Reply Quote
I like the direction of development. To be honest it sounds like the focus has shifted away from the impact on the economy, prices, the RMAH. The changes are more focused on the gaming experience which I really like.

I can't believe it's taken so long to get an identify all.

I would like an update on monster density being increased through acts other then act 3, however. It's nice to have new things to hunt for, but I would also like to enjoy looking for them in acts 1, 2, and 4 without having to waste time traveling dead spots looking for things to kill.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Jamcat000
All this sounds like all that is being done, is taking the items already in the game and making them better. I wanted to prove something so, i started over again, in inferno difficulty, monster power 2. My wizard is level 60 + 33. Since starting the game in act 1 I have gone through everything in the act and moved on to the second. with all of my magic bonus plus 5 stacks, not 1 legendary item has dropped and all rare items are junk. What needs to be done in my opinion to make this game awesome again, is to add new quests, new caves and castle keeps, new adventures the will yield the new items and armor we are looking for to add to our characters. We have all put in a lot of time into the diablo world not only because we enjoy the game but because we want to make our characters a strong and powerful as we can. In my opinion leave the items in the game that are already in it and add a multiple array of new and more powerful items that can not only be found but earned and not bought at the auction house. I like the idea of account bound items it shows that we have either earned them or battled to get them and let us show them off. I want to keep playing this game but right now everything is the same and basically if you save enough gold you can buy anything you want so in the end everyone will have the same items with the same armor. What needs done is the addition of a ton of new legendary, rare items that a character fights for or finds so they can be customized even more. New quests and cave and castles and keeps and old ruines need to be adventured into, not only to find these awesome items but to also find new monster that protect these one of a kind account bound items, even not account bound. A new item pool has to be created or once again the Diablo fans will get to a point where the game has nothing else to offer. Lets not lets this happen give us and our character new life and new things to conquer.

LOL, the expansion should be next year....

looks like this is what you need to love the game
Reply Quote
In our latest Developer Journal, game designer http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&a=Travis%20Day&sort=time" class="bml-link-url2">Travis Day</a> talks about a few of the underlying philosophies that are driving future changes to itemization. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/

why would you make a trend on a subject that is already front page news on the website? i never understood the logic sense behind that.
Edited by LordGenocide#1558 on 3/5/2013 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Definitely excited about the promising future changes to the game. Keep it coming Blizz! :D
Reply Quote
Community Manager
why would you make a trend on a subject that iss already front page news on the forums? i never understood the logic sense behind that.

Three reasons:

1) Because some players who read the forums don't read the front page of the community site.

2) Because some players only read "blue trackers" to get the latest info, so even if a player's post about the itemization update is popular, they might not see it since it's not tracked. Having a blue create a post can help spread the information.

3) Because creating a sticky helps (or can help) centralize feedback.

Hope that helps!
Edited by Lylirra on 3/5/2013 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
On guaranteed drops:

They are not good at all. In fact, they do more harm than good. While these may have been a band-aid solution previously the advent of Paragon Levels means that everyone has MF% to some degree. Add onto this NV stacks and there should be no need for any guaranteed drops.

These games were founded on the lottery system of drops, and should remain that way. What's the point in me playing if I already know what will happen? It removes the sense of accomplishment when you finally hit pay dirt.

I love that the rare drop rate is being reduced. I'd love to see fewer rares that are higher quality. I'd also prefer it if all forms of guaranteed drops (aside from keys and key plans) be removed. People should be farming where they have fun and get the most bang for their buck... not where the devs tell them to sniff out specific drops.

Just my $0.02.
Reply Quote
Any thoughts or plans on allowing a search of, say, items sold in the last 48 hours on the AH? There's a lot of stuff just sitting up there at these ridiculous buyout prices that just aren't worth what people are asking (as shown by it just sitting there), letting people see what's actually selling would help them price items more competitively.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I would like an update on monster density being increased through acts other then act 3, however. It's nice to have new things to hunt for, but I would also like to enjoy looking for them in acts 1, 2, and 4 without having to waste time traveling dead spots looking for things to kill.

We're looking at making some adjustments to monster density, and right now we'd like to see if we can get those changes in with 1.0.8. The trick with adjusting density is that, by doing so, we could inadvertently create another "most optimal" route in Act I, II, or IV. It's the kind of thing we'll be doing a lot of internal testing on before hand, and likely something we'll want to have up for additional testing on the PTR.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 12:10 PMPosted by Lylirra

We're looking at making some adjustments to monster density, and right now we'd like to see if we can get those changes in with 1.0.8. The trick with adjusting density is that, by doing so, we could inadvertently create another "most optimal" route in Act I, II, or IV. It's the kind of thing we'll be doing a lot of internal testing on before hand, and likely something we'll want to have up for additional testing on the PTR.

if you're worried about creating a "most optimal route" then why not just leave things they way they are with monster density... there will always be a most optimal route that was a pretty silly thing for a blue to even say

plus the way to fix this whole issue would be to just allow players to travel to any waypoint in the game from whatever waypoint they currently happen to be. this would open up many possibilities for farming routes and would make the game far more interesting.

not to mention you should also make every boss ALIVE where he normally spawns despite what quest you're on in the game. at this point no one cares about the story line anymore and it would be nice to have the freedom to kill any boss you want in whatever order you want.
Reply Quote
No offense but you guys are full of crap.
Reply Quote

Personally, I think there should be different optimal routes. The best route for farming xp, items, specific items, etc. I'd like to have something other to kill then just Keywarden and A3. Although, density needs to be increased drastically in some of those locations. Just saying :D I like variations and different reasons to hunt different things.
Reply Quote

Just wanted to point out that no one ever complained about dead spots or walking far in Diablo II because of one thing. Enigma. Please bring this back.
Edited by Marteen#1781 on 3/5/2013 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Would it be impossible to make the density sort of random? That would be a help in avoiding optimal routes. You can't avoid them completelty but having the possibility to spawn a kind of "empty" keeps 2 would help drive people to a lesser used area if they're allready NV commited and especially if that area would have the chance in it self to be packed with mobs.

Of course the density would have to vary within the areas to prevent just hopping between waypoints and doing the ones that you immediatly would recognize as dense.
Edited by olka#1784 on 3/5/2013 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
My feedback:

Making lower level legendaries useful - a great idea but it absolutely has to be executed right.
If a skorn can have 1.4k maximum dps with total of 300 crit damage then a tormentor must have 1.6k dps and maximum 200 crit dmg (not claiming those numbers are correct). Or it must have 30% more damage with a random element and 1.3k dmg and a socket (100 cd). Just diversity, and diversity with new affixes. I'd like to point out frostburn is an excellent example for this - you can make it HIGHLY valuable by adjusting the numbers even before new affixes have been introduced - just do the math and a little testing.

I also think that getting DIFFERENT very very different items is going to be very important. Items that support channeled skills (in a meaningful way we dont want -5mana on firebats!), that support skills with coodlown (possibly granting some bonus at the cost of attackspeed penalty), we want items that have some meaningful effect on hit for all the 3.0 aps people. We want items that let you specialize in one element or increase aoe damage or aoe area or single target damage!
We want choice!

I also think allowing "to alter" your current items can be taken even one step further: allow one affix of one legendary item to be added to a second item (huge gold sink, make it expensive!) Destroys the first item, maybe significantly scales down the power of the affix if it seems it might be overpowered. Actually no, not overpowered, such a thing doesn't exist. Scale down the power of some affixes if only one combination seems to be useful. I'd like to see a lot more diversity.

I think I'm not the only one tired of echoing fury skorn and mempo of twilight. Make it so we have 5 options for legendary items in each slot. Make it so class specific slots also have at least 3 useful items to choose from!

Other than that: please consider that weapon damage right now has SUCH a significant role that it either should roll in good enough range or then again if you roll your perfect 900 loh high crit damage socket base stat vit [insert any new affix that is really desirable] with 252.2 dps you can pay several millions to the blacksmith and he can refine it for you. What he charges increases exponentially so maybe +100 dps at 250 costs just 1m or less, but +100 dps at 900 costs 30m or more (depending also on 1h/2h).

And one more thing: don't be scared of slightly complicated affixes, nobody is going to quit if you make things worth thinking about. This game consists of two parts: smashing monsters and enjoying it - and figuring out your (own individual) master plan to ultimate awesomeness.
Edited by Nynaeve#2352 on 3/5/2013 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I already commented on the frong page, but I wanted to chime in this thread to let you know that this was a great blog !

And just a question : if the low-level legendaries like Leoric's Signet will be able to drop with improved stats in later difficulties (that was an idea of mine, and I'm glad you guys listened :D), what of the high-level legendaries in lower difficulties ? Will you be able to find a Manticore in Normal difficulty with two sockets and an awesome damage output of 12-35 ??
Reply Quote

While this is true, I think this problem has 2 aspects: one is the matter of efficiency which you addressed, the other one is that killing hordes of monsters is FUN. For example I love to do all of keep in act 3 because in lvl 1 I find huge masses of tiny skeletons which i can smash with my aoe spells. I clear that even though i know that I would get most experience/legendaries/demonic essences by simply doing Keep level 2 and Rakkis Crossing or Vault of the Assassin or... you know the usual stuff. So yea, hordes of monsters are fun.

On a side note: Keep 1 is one of my favorite levels also because it is much more random than keep 2 and other outdoor/indoor areas. You never know exactly where the exit might be (in Keep 2 its always to the left).
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 12:22 PMPosted by olka

Would it be impossible to make the density sort of random? That would be a help in avoiding optimal routes. You can't avoid them completelty but having the possibility to spawn a kind of "empty" keeps 2 would help drive people to a lesser used area if they're allready NV commited and especially if that area would have the chance in it self to be packed with mobs.

Of course the density would have to vary within the areas to prevent just hopping between waypoints and doing the ones that you immediatly would recognize as dense.

Indeed, the answer to optimal routes is just randomization to monster density.
Reply Quote
ID ALL FTW!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]