Diablo® III

Latest Developer Journal Now Up!

03/05/2013 12:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
I would like an update on monster density being increased through acts other then act 3, however. It's nice to have new things to hunt for, but I would also like to enjoy looking for them in acts 1, 2, and 4 without having to waste time traveling dead spots looking for things to kill.

We're looking at making some adjustments to monster density, and right now we'd like to see if we can get those changes in with 1.0.8. The trick with adjusting density is that, by doing so, we could inadvertently create another "most optimal" route in Act I, II, or IV. It's the kind of thing we'll be doing a lot of internal testing on before hand, and likely something we'll want to have up for additional testing on the PTR.

why not randomize monster density to a certain degree? so you run through one of the crypts and don't notice a higher density, but in the next crypt you encounter a huge group of zombies.

this way there would not be an optimal route because of the randomness. you would have to change stuff in act 3 of course to give a chance that the fields of slaughter have a smaller density.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Lylirra
WOW, I can't wait for this patch. I will be downloading the PTR the minute it is available. This actually has me ecstatic. It might bring more of my friends to the game as well!

Note that (as of now) only the changes Travis confirmed as 1.0.8 will be going into 1.0.8. Other changes discussed are being discussed for after 1.0.8 and are still in the planning phase of development.

how long does this planning phase usually last :)?
Reply Quote
On guaranteed drops:

They are not good at all. In fact, they do more harm than good. While these may have been a band-aid solution previously the advent of Paragon Levels means that everyone has MF% to some degree. Add onto this NV stacks and there should be no need for any guaranteed drops.

These games were founded on the lottery system of drops, and should remain that way. What's the point in me playing if I already know what will happen? It removes the sense of accomplishment when you finally hit pay dirt.

I love that the rare drop rate is being reduced. I'd love to see fewer rares that are higher quality. I'd also prefer it if all forms of guaranteed drops (aside from keys and key plans) be removed. People should be farming where they have fun and get the most bang for their buck... not where the devs tell them to sniff out specific drops.

Just my $0.02.

Guaranteed legendary drops were for first-time boss kills only. The other feature was increasing the chance for specific items to drop from specific named monsters, e.g. Diablo has an x% chance to drop the Crown of Terroar. This would be a great way to boost the reward for some purple named monsters. Some players prefer to run specific areas to try and find specific things, rather than RNG the whole game. Seems similar to the Diablo 2 treasure class system.
Reply Quote
Another perk with monster density could be to increase monster density per party member... maybe +20% monster density per extra player? This would give you 60% additional trash mobs to wade through with a full party of 4.
Reply Quote
View profile
Nice ideas I see so far, waiting anxiously :)
Reply Quote
plus the way to fix this whole issue would be to just allow players to travel to any waypoint in the game from whatever waypoint they currently happen to be. this would open up many possibilities for farming routes and would make the game far more interesting.

not to mention you should also make every boss ALIVE where he normally spawns despite what quest you're on in the game. at this point no one cares about the story line anymore and it would be nice to have the freedom to kill any boss you want in whatever order you want.

I think this would be great
Reply Quote

We're looking at making some adjustments to monster density, and right now we'd like to see if we can get those changes in with 1.0.8. The trick with adjusting density is that, by doing so, we could inadvertently create another "most optimal" route in Act I, II, or IV. It's the kind of thing we'll be doing a lot of internal testing on before hand, and likely something we'll want to have up for additional testing on the PTR.

Would it be impossible to make the density sort of random? That would be a help in avoiding optimal routes. You can't avoid them completelty but having the possibility to spawn a kind of "empty" keeps 2 would help drive people to a lesser used area if they're allready NV commited and especially if that area would have the chance in it self to be packed with mobs.

Of course the density would have to vary within the areas to prevent just hopping between waypoints and doing the ones that you immediatly would recognize as dense.

I was thinking the same thing about having random monster density to combat the "optimal" route problem. Map randomization or layout would play a role in this as well.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 3/5/2013 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I would like an update on monster density being increased through acts other then act 3, however. It's nice to have new things to hunt for, but I would also like to enjoy looking for them in acts 1, 2, and 4 without having to waste time traveling dead spots looking for things to kill.

I'd imagine with enough testing you could make the acts comparable, but there will always be a better route some one figures out. Instead of trying not to create an optimal route, you should intentionally do it, lol.

Control which acts are more favorable and give players a reason to go to act 4. Because it has the best density right now this month. Just throwing that out there.

People are going to complain no matter what, it doesn't need to be perfect but I, like many, really really want to do something different.

brb, need to do a quick act three run.
Reply Quote
Guaranteed legendary drops were for first-time boss kills only. The other feature was increasing the chance for specific items to drop from specific named monsters, e.g. Diablo has an x% chance to drop the Crown of Terroar. This would be a great way to boost the reward for some purple named monsters. Some players prefer to run specific areas to try and find specific things, rather than RNG the whole game. Seems similar to the Diablo 2 treasure class system.

To be blunt if it's the first boss kill or every boss kill I'm still not a fan of guaranteed item drops of any kind. It defeats the point of farming your own way and makes you farm how the devs want you to. That is removing choice from your players which is a quick way to destroy a game.

Treasure class system? I remember MLVL and ILVL determing what creature could drop what item. After that it's based on Normal/Exceptional/Elite base item and the quality roll tha tyou get. The only real exception to this was the Coutness with her increased rune drop rate, but it was almost always low/mid runes. I think the highest I ever got from her was a Pul or Um.

That being said, maybe some monsters could have increased drop rates (but still not guaranteed) for other things? Gems, Tomes, maybe even raw crafting materials like FB? That would be OK... but not specific items.
Reply Quote
You are in the right direction. more ideas :

* the MP lvl could have an impact on the rolls, i.e. the harder mp lvl you play, the better rolls could be.
* players could be able to choose at least one affix they need, i.e. LS for 1M, allres for bracers...
* upgradable items, like in torchlight 2, i.e. you kill x of y type of monster(s) the item is upgraded.
* transform all the original crafting plans "account bounded" and efficient like you did with archon ones.
* remove affixes like "+ x damage mini" or "+ y damage maxi" by ONLY range ones i.e. x-y
* reward high level players who are helping weaker or new ones in playing in a low MP lvl : once lvl 100, the xp should be "tranferable" to a reroll.
Reply Quote
I really like what I'm reading here. I particularly appreciated the comment about the Hellracks, seeing as I found another two of these just today and was like 'ugh, not again' each time.

A few things to add:

1. Add some way to disable all of the storyline popups. Like an auto-cancel option for previously completed content. I cannot stress enough how closely these popups begin to resemble adware by the 70th run through the same area.

2. Add a farm mode of some kind that includes the ability to waypoint between acts, and without regard to the progression of the story. All bosses up.

3. Full dye functionality for legendary items.
Reply Quote
"Introducing ways to modify existing items" seems really interesting.
Targeted legendaries could make runs more diversified and interesting but it will not change the AH problem.

If WD's spells (firebats and locust swarm, especially) will be change as well, the patch 1.0.8 could be awesome.
Reply Quote
Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal.

They finally realize that. Thank god!
Reply Quote

Well then, stop DOUBLING things and start making small adjustments.

03/05/2013 12:30 PMPosted by ArmorVil
Indeed, the answer to optimal routes is just randomization to monster density.

This is a good idea.
There are a lot of places where a few monsters appear out of cracks in the wall, fire pits and other scripted action. Give it a chance, albeit low, to spawn a few more monsters, or even a small chance of spawning an elite when you brake a vase! ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
03/05/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Lylirra
WOW, I can't wait for this patch. I will be downloading the PTR the minute it is available. This actually has me ecstatic. It might bring more of my friends to the game as well!

Note that (as of now) only the changes Travis confirmed as 1.0.8 will be going into 1.0.8. Other changes discussed are being discussed for after 1.0.8 and are still in the planning phase of development.

I kind of expected, itemization does seem like a long term project and even though everything that Travis says sounds very good, I would just to others not to hold their breath and be upset that not everything Travis talked about making it to the next patch, but if this is an itemization "roadmap" for the future of Diablo 3, I feel that Diablo 3 will have a bright future indeed and could possibly be a whole new game by the time the first expansion comes out.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Sjippie

Well then, stop DOUBLING things and start making small adjustments.

03/05/2013 12:30 PMPosted by ArmorVil
Indeed, the answer to optimal routes is just randomization to monster density.

This is a good idea.
There are a lot of places where a few monsters appear out of cracks in the wall, fire pits and other scripted action. Give it a chance, albeit low, to spawn a few more monsters, or even a small chance of spawning an elite when you brake a vase! ;)

Damn I miss those zombies in barrels from Diablo 2! Elite from vase sounds amazing, people woulda ctually take their time breaking large clusters
Reply Quote
I wonder if Blizzard will ever again trott out the whole "We'll release it when it's ready" line any time soon?

We're basically a year past D3's release and the game is still several major content patches away from being anywhere close to ready.

It's good Blizzard is working to repair D3, but it really is just baffling how they ever released such a pile of crap in the first place.
Reply Quote

Test away! Smashing up hordes of monsters is more fun than running around in a barren wasteland with a few enemies running up on me.
Reply Quote

Hahahahhaa. so you desperately want people to have the current most optimal route? Blizz wants you to be bored out of your mind farming a3, perfect
Reply Quote
One other thing that just occurred to me regarding the section about diversifying stats so that crit itself is not the only way to go. It seems like, currently, Wizard build diversity is actually gated by crit, insofar the Wizard resource pool is very tight relative to the high cost of most of the spells.

I play multiplayer games almost exclusively and, especially in the mid-range mp levels, stuff lives long enough that I am always running on fumes. In this way it seems like you need APoC and crit chance to really do anything besides spam a signature spell. So one solid way to increase build variety through itemization might be to provide a new item stat for significantly increasing the refresh rate of the AP pool. One that isn't related to crit. Or one that has its own independent proc rate, increasing with the number of such items acquired (like a set bonus).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]