Diablo® III

To those that enjoy it

I have a question. To those that enjoy running act 3(MP0? whatever MP) one after the other, using a continuous build day after day, do you enjoy it?

This isn't a troll. I'm curious because, I have a hard time understanding the perspective, and I'm mildly interested in what the driving factor is. Maybe it's something I'm missing from my game, or even in general. I used to play the "workhorse" style back in july on my softcore barb(which still has july/august gear on) but it became so mind numbing that that was why I had switched to hardcore in the first place(which I was gonna do day 1, but I had some gripes about some design choices ingame - like invulnerable minions).

I have my different reasons and "goals" while playing the game that drastically differ from the average player here(especially if you were to goto General haha...), and I like my way of playing so much that I have a difficult time understanding why players enjoy doing the same exact thing day after day.
Reply Quote
Hate it, but it is the first easiest place to get best chance of ilvl63 gear. Will probably do mp1 act1/2 when I feel it's not too dangerous.
Reply Quote
if you can steamroll mp0 a3inferno runs. mp1 any act should be no problem
Reply Quote
Well to me it's not about steamrolling the content or anything like that.

What I'm trying to say here is that, I personally don't think repeated act 3 runs with the same loadout plays to this game's strength. Like honestly, I think that D3 is more about creative ways of dispatching monsters and finding items to do the same even more interesting ways, than it is about repetition of the same area over and over.

The combat is 2nd to none, and there are a lot of interesting monster types, many of which you don't even run into on the usual "Alkaiser" act 3 runs for that matter.

I feel like D3 was designed to do away with that style of gameplay, or slightly discourage it. A game like PoE or even Torchlight seems more in tune with that kind of gameplay, or rather I'd say PoE. Torchlight is in a different direction entirely than both, it brings its own style to the table(but could've GREATLY benefited from d3 style combat).
Reply Quote
I dunno, I'm personally just trying to get to level 60. Then I dunno what to do. Never played SC and havent played much HC either.

How do YOU enjoy playing?

On a related note, I remember going workhorse mode on D2, getting completely bored by it and then coming to know the Amazon Basin, which in turn made me develop a new taste for the game.

For those who don't know, the AB is a gaming community that was really tight and organized (mainly forums), and who was famous for encouraging weird builds and challenges, such as singbarbs, naked runs, 4 aura pallies groups, healdins, iron mans etc. They also were very serious about cooperation and equal loot division and whatnot. Very mature and nice guys.

They generally loahted the usual min-maxing style of gameplay, to such extent that if you posted a pic of your gear on the forums and it contained one of the incredibly rare runes, you were going to get seriously looked down upon, since it was pretty much 100% sure you had either botted it or bought it from a botter/duper.

Solely READING their forums was pure entertainment for me.

On a side note: playing DH for the first time now, just getting into A3 nightmare. Having a ton of frun using sentries :D
Edited by SillyTheory#1852 on 3/1/2013 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 04:08 PMPosted by ThanatosX
Hate it, but it is the first easiest place to get best chance of ilvl63 gear. Will probably do mp1 act1/2 when I feel it's not too dangerous.

If you hate it, then I don't understand what compels you to keep doing it. I mean, if you just wait this game out, you'll have access to cool stuff anyway.

You know how when one of your characters dies, and you reroll? Your next character is pretty much damn near guaranteed to be stronger than the last one, simply because every last item depreciates(and to the stuff that doesn't, it's just a patch or expansion away).
Reply Quote
I have a question. To those that enjoy running act 3(MP0? whatever MP) one after the other, using a continuous build day after day, do you enjoy it?

This isn't a troll. I'm curious because, I have a hard time understanding the perspective, and I'm mildly interested in what the driving factor is. Maybe it's something I'm missing from my game, or even in general. I used to play the "workhorse" style back in july on my softcore barb(which still has july/august gear on) but it became so mind numbing that that was why I had switched to hardcore in the first place(which I was gonna do day 1, but I had some gripes about some design choices ingame - like invulnerable minions).

I have my different reasons and "goals" while playing the game that drastically differ from the average player here(especially if you were to goto General haha...), and I like my way of playing so much that I have a difficult time understanding why players enjoy doing the same exact thing day after day.

I have played HC since day1. Back in that day, got my barb to a2 inferno.... clearing pretty easy, till i aggro'd those 3 champ packs and got "steamrolled". In, HC i don't believe it is near as mind numbing as it is in SC(though i never went past lvl 10 on SC), but still yah it is, but still not b/c you still might die.

Anyways, i assume most people do it for what ThanatosX said above. To gear up/save gold and find !@#$ to sell to save gold for the better/?godly? gear to start doing it on higher MPlvl's. Which equates into finding that awesome gear they see for 80-500mill gold on AH.
Reply Quote
I dunno, I'm personally just trying to get to level 60. Then I dunno what to do. Never played SC and havent played much HC either.

How do YOU enjoy playing?

On a related note, I remember going workhorse mode on D2 and then coming to know the Amazon Basin, which in turn made me develop a new taste for the game.

For those who don't know, the AB is a gaming community that was really tight and organized (mainly forums), and they were famous for the challenges and weird builds they did. (singbarb, iron man, 4 auras pally group etc). They generally LOATHED min maxing and buying stuff from d2jsp. etc.

How do I enjoy playing?

I just enjoy killing monsters in the most fun and interesting ways possible in this game. The combat is so good and so fluid, that it complements that mindset so well.

The items I find, I basically get rid of them(give them away - I've given gg items away a number of times, AH em, sell em, etc.) if they don't do anything as far as changing the way the game is played. What do I need a Mempo for? It provides nothing for me, I've found a total of 3 of them, too. AH'd 2 and gave 1 away. They don't have anything class specific on it, and I wasn't trying to reach an attack speed breakpoint from a helm that I can't get from an Andy's anyway(and I used to hate on Andy's but I think they're more interesting than Mempo without question).

The game isn't really a "competition" so I don't go for heroscore. Heroscore is something that can be achieved by wallet or when hell freezes over.

In the middle of runs, I'll just change skills and lose my stacks, just because I want to come at it differently.
Reply Quote
I think his definition of 'hate' is different from ours. I'm definitely not playing this game if I hate it.
Reply Quote
Anyways, i assume most people do it for what ThanatosX said above. To gear up/save gold and find !@#$ to sell to save gold for the better/?godly? gear to start doing it on higher MPlvl's. Which equates into finding that awesome gear they see for 80-500mill gold on AH.

So the goal in mind is do things faster?

I mean, I get it. I'm sure Action gets it. People want to maximize runs. I think the question is if it's so boring, why continue to do it?

I think the answer is addiction, in the lightest sense.
Reply Quote

I have played HC since day1. Back in that day, got my barb to a2 inferno.... clearing pretty easy, till i aggro'd those 3 champ packs and got "steamrolled". In, HC i don't believe it is near as mind numbing as it is in SC(though i never went past lvl 10 on SC), but still yah it is, but still not b/c you still might die.

Yeah I understand why people do that, and also why they get on jsp and whatnot. I don't even have an account on jsp, although I might make one sometime just to see who else wants to play or comes at the game the same way I do.

Trying to gear up to get that 80-500 mil item, it stopped appealing to me because that item might get salvaged in a next patch. All I gotta do is keep playing. It really hit me when I remember what the items available were like during may/june... you remember? Someone could've been playing the game back then, and come back TODAY and without looking on the AH think someone lost their mind for salvaging a blue 1k dps 1 hander.

EDIT: Also, the only reason why I really workhorsed on my Barb back in July was because I needed to pay my car insurance at the time, and I was having VA financial complications hahahah
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 3/1/2013 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote][quote] the items available were like during may/june... you remember? Someone could've been playing the game back then, and come back TODAY and without looking on the AH think someone lost their mind for salvaging a blue 1k dps 1 hander.

lol.
true.
Reply Quote
Oh... and i do it b/c....

i die to disconnects....

reroll = get to farming a3inferno ASAP, build bank again.....proceed to have fun in any way i see fit
Reply Quote
I change up my build all the time to mix things up. Also I play in all acts for the lulz.
Reply Quote
It's an addiction ...they should start D3 anonymous ... you are addicted to try to find that one item that you can use or sell so you can advance farther and farther into the MP lvls....so over and over again, just like playing the slots...they give you a crumb and you want more crumbs then you get a little jackpot then keep playing for the ultimate 777 on the wheel...

had to edit...hate spell correction (sometimes)
Edited by Romad#1308 on 3/1/2013 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
I certainly do not enjoy 'farming' in this game. I don't like spending hours drudging through the AH either.

That's probably why I don't play this game often anymore! Although I picked it up just recently to see how far I can get with a purist Wizard doing mp10 only...
Reply Quote
Pulling the lever on a slot machine isn't particularly fun, but the chance of hitting it big keeps people coming back. = ]
Reply Quote
03/01/2013 06:08 PMPosted by EmmetOtter
I do it for paragon XP leveling. It's like the work effort you put into a hobby. The MF pays off later on...

I call this a fundamental error in the design of MP. Tougher content that requires less autonomous and more careful interactive play was originally supposed to be more rewarding. But they made it less rewarding, which is why, if we want to get ahead, we are obligated to put the "work" in first (boring autonomous play) in order to have "fun" later (engaging challenging play). I believe the process of levelling up and finding items most optimally was always intended to also be the most challenging way to play, but that isn't the case.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 3/1/2013 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have a hard time in MP0 because I cant generate spirit fast cause everything dies really fast. I still play it sometimes when I wanna help people in pubs or if my internet is acting sketchy or im baked and just wanna take it really really easy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]