Diablo® III

i3 and Diablo?

Hi first time poster, probably posting in the wrong place.

I'm currently running an i3 550 @ 3.20GHz with 5GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 550 Ti

From looking at Recommended/Minimum requirements I thought this was up to spec but I seem to be getting some frame rate drops in combat etc, and I'm not running on high settings. Is it purely insufficient hardware?
Reply Quote
If not a hardware problem, perhaps software.

You might be running other stuff in the background that is eating up CPU and RAM capacity, perhaps outdated drivers or even a cluttered hard drive that needs cleaning.
Reply Quote
You should also have a fast internet connection. Whether you are using a hex-core i7 processor and GTX Titan if your internet is slow then that what happens.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warrior
Check screen res? how big of a monitor? That always was something i didnt factor in when considering fps
Reply Quote
Hi first time poster, probably posting in the wrong place.

I'm currently running an i3 550 @ 3.20GHz with 5GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 550 Ti

From looking at Recommended/Minimum requirements I thought this was up to spec but I seem to be getting some frame rate drops in combat etc, and I'm not running on high settings. Is it purely insufficient hardware?

Your performance is right on par for your specs. that i3 is garbage. It is comparable to some five year old processor's in terms of speed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
Edited by zKrieg#1561 on 3/9/2013 12:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
I had a feeling that was the case, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
What would you suggest? Is upgrading to a better processor a difficult task? I have minimal knowledge of computer hardware etc.
Reply Quote
I had a feeling that was the case, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
What would you suggest? Is upgrading to a better processor a difficult task? I have minimal knowledge of computer hardware etc.

Anyone that says your hardware isn't enough for this game is full of it. Except for the highest end games, you won't really see any benefit to upgrading to a quad core cpu or higher. In saying that though, if you have the funds, you should certainly think about upgrading in the near future as many programs today are starting to take advantage of having more cores.

It is actually a very simple process to install a new one, but there are a few things you should know first. Your i3 550 is an older model cpu which uses the 1156 socket motherboard, so parts will be alittle difficult to find and will usually be more expensive than current ones. For instance, an i5 760, which would work in your motherboard costs around $250, but a current i5 3570k costs $220 and is much faster, but it uses socket 1155 motherboards so you would have to buy a new one.
Watch the video on this link to see how easy it is:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406714,00.asp

If you are looking to just increase performance for gaming in general, you might also want to consider buying a better graphics card.

Upgrading will certainly help your situation, but it won't make it perfect. Here's my pc specs and I still get weird fps drops.
i7 2600k OC'd to 4.5Ghz
8gb ram
7950 HD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]