Diablo® III

My ehp is over 2m! Here's some tips!

I have been gearing properly to survive in HC and as a service to you guys, I would love to help you so you don't die quickly, if ever in HC. Many deaths are due to lag/dc so dps doesn't help you there. EHP is therefore king and you don't need to be farming above MP3 anyway except maybe for ubers if you can find a highly skilled guy then you can go MP5 maximum! Never, ever think about MP above 5, ever! Let me teach you how to gear properly.

1. Weapon: Avoid 2h weps unless they have 400+ vitality and 1000+ loh and you only use it to do quick runs at mp0. Dual wielding is almost always inferior to sword and board. If you must dual wield, your weps need 200+ vitality and 500+ loh. Your two best weps, ehp wise are the empyrean spear and the doombringer. It's a choice between 70+ ar and 7% block. Try to get as much vitality as you can on the single random roll. High loh is another good option. If you can't afford either, get dex then for dodge chance or a split dex-str roll for more damage. Don't worry too much about super high wep damage, anything 600+ is good and 800+ is great!

2. Shield: This is mandatory for HC, for without a shield you are very badly gimping your ehp. Shields let you gain 1000+ more armor, 60+ more resist, tons of vitality and 20+ more block. This can add a 50% to 100% boost to your ehp, meaning you could have 2m ehp instead of only 1m! Stormshields are probably the best for all classes, especially barbs. Get as much block as you can then worry what type of random roll you'll get. Unless you are extremely rich, skip vit(or %) life in that slot. I went with the max of 34% block, it's great even with a weak random of cold res.

3. Helm: The best helm, ehp wise is without a doubt the helm of command. It's a must for all shield wearers. Mempos may seem good, but they can't touch helms of command ehp wise and they cost far, far, far more. 8% block is vastly better than 8% ias. If you need attack speed this badly, there's several other slots for this, but very few slots for block. You will want at least 2 good rolls on your helm of command. Sockets and ar are really expensive but you can look for extra vitality(split primary+vit roll), 200+ extra armor, % life rolls(partially makes up for socket), life regeneration, etc. Avoid helms of command with 0 or 1 good random rolls since they can roll 4 randoms. Don't be afraid to give up damage in this slot if you can find one with 3 or 4 good defensive randoms.

4. Rings: All resist is a must for those two slots. You also want either vitality or % life. Unless you are extremely rich, forget crit and attack speed because it's not worth gimping your ehp by getting more dps. Life on hit is also nice, but only if you can also have vit and ar along with it.

5. Amulet: I chose to get a high loh roll instead of all resist. For some reason, you give up alot if you want resist in this slot. I will be crafting vitality amulets and have a good chance of getting one better than what I have.

6. Boots: I have firewalkers which I will only be using on lower MP levels because it's missing vitality. For MP3, I spend more time fighting than running so I will be buying some rare boots with primary+vit+dex+ar and ill also try to get armor, life regen, health globes, pickup radius, etc.

(con't in next post)
Reply Quote
7. Bracers: You can craft your own vitality bracers. Keep trying till you get one with your primary stat and all resists. Mine is really godly, but it still needs ar and str.

8. Shoulders: You can craft your own vitality shoulders. They can roll up to 200 str in a single roll! Keep trying till you get one with 100+ str and 50+ ar. Other stats like +armor and life % are big bonuses.

9. Pants: Get as much vitality as you can because they can roll up to 200 vit in a single roll. If yours have sockets, that's more vitality! Get either a high armor or all resist or both if you are rich. I still need all resists on mine but they don't come cheap!

10. Chest armor: I will be crafting one with str because they can roll up to 200 vit anyway in a single roll and they can also roll % life. I will be selling my current chest armor once I craft an upgrade.

11. Belt: Get one with 100+ str and either vit or % life and preferabily both! All resists is a must for this slot. Don't worry about lifesteal, it makes almost no difference unless you can get to 100k+ dps. Great for softcore, almost impossible for HC unless you are super rich.

12. Gloves: Another good slot for ehp. Craft your own vitality gloves. You will want to get your primary stat and all resists as a minimum. If you also roll crit and/or attack speed, consider this as a bonus on top of your vit and resists.

More notes: You will want life on hit in at least 1 slot. I chose the amulet slot for this. You also will want life regeneration in at least one slot, but you can also get 2% of your vitality regenerated with your passive. Get lots of dex, ideally you will want to hit the 1000 mark so you get 30% dodge chance. Getting above 1k dex gives you only half as much more dodge per dex so consider it a bonus. You will probably want pickup radius on 1, maybe even 2 slots not just for the gold but for the health globes! I do need some health globe bonus and may get a such roll when I craft my items. Getting to 1m ehp should be super easy, especially for barbs. If your ehp is below 1m, you are very badly geared. I don't even do well in SC below 1m ehp! I will give you individual tips to help you gear up in addition to the general tips you see above, feel free to ask questions.
Reply Quote
Great Post! Good advice for Barbs, but also Most classes!

I've always wondered about the shield, and it's ability to protect.
Yes, you can greatly increase block chance with a Stormshield,
but it only blocks max for just under 5k.. Can't some monsters 1 hit
toons, causing 30k damage or more??

I think I had an empyrean sword, and sold it, not realizing it's true value! :(

Great Post!
Reply Quote
to bad almost no one wants to play with under 20k dps loool
Reply Quote
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand 18k dps, i never come close to dieing on mp4-5 without a shield and 950k EHP its kind of a waste to have 2m, no?
Edited by starcraft#1872 on 3/2/2013 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
The mindset seems a bit dated with the "who cares about DPS, get as much EHP as possible" mentality.

High EHP is good. But I wouldn't recommend avoiding crit/crit dmg on the slots that can roll it as suggested in the OP.

You can still maintain extremely high EHP levels while having respectable amounts of DPS.
Reply Quote
18745.1 DPS. Painful flashbacks of patches 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 wash over me.
Reply Quote
anything over 1mil ehp is fine.

most of other class include monk play with 500k ehp and they are fine.

you should get higher dps if you want to farm act 3, unless you want to become one of those annoy leecher in act 3 public game.

do you know act 3 monsster have 200k hp? or elite have 1mil hp? you sont really want to take too long to kill them. and you can die really fast even with 2mil ehp.(those succus will debuff you, and phasebeat finish you off)
Edited by huanAK#6843 on 3/2/2013 11:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
First, of the "regular" posters, I am guessing no one is more polar opposite to you then me (except possibly ActionKungFu).

First, the guide is very well done for its goal.

However, I came in here for another reason primarily. I have accounted 4 threads where you basically tell the person "your ehp is too low" even if it has essentially nothing to do with their question, etc.

Some of us prefer to play a tad closer to the edge so we can actually kill things in short window times and advance in mp levels (personally I need about 70K eHP and 12K DPS to jump to mp4).

Anyways, nice guide for its purpose, well done, just wanted to throw that out there.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
I have 40k DPS and 4M EHP, I can solo MP5 easily.

Noose#1377
Reply Quote
Can Plague, Molten, or Arcane be blocked?
Reply Quote
This is one of the worst guides that I have ever seen.
Reply Quote
good for barbs, but i find to a certain extent you still need dps.you notice a big difference in mp2+ when dps starts to matter for killing things fast
Reply Quote
First, of the "regular" posters, I am guessing no one is more polar opposite to you then me (except possibly ActionKungFu).

First, the guide is very well done for its goal.

However, I came in here for another reason primarily. I have accounted 4 threads where you basically tell the person "your ehp is too low" even if it has essentially nothing to do with their question, etc.

Some of us prefer to play a tad closer to the edge so we can actually kill things in short window times and advance in mp levels (personally I need about 70K eHP and 12K DPS to jump to mp4).

Anyways, nice guide for its purpose, well done, just wanted to throw that out there.

You need more eHP. And a shield.
Reply Quote
How is this good for barbs? lol
Empyrean Messenger? lol Don't worry about LS on belt? Get lots of Dex? lol
I seriously can not tell if he is trolling.
On second thought, I need to gear my pocket Barb.
Buy this crap so I have better selection on AH.
Reply Quote
tl:dr is this a joke post? I'm the #3 eHP barb on the server and this advice is just plain retarded.

1. Weapon: Avoid 2h weps unless they have 400+ vitality and 1000+ loh and you only use it to do quick runs at mp0. Dual wielding is almost always inferior to sword and board. If you must dual wield, your weps need 200+ vitality and 500+ loh. Your two best weps, ehp wise are the empyrean spear and the doombringer. It's a choice between 70+ ar and 7% block. Try to get as much vitality as you can on the single random roll. High loh is another good option. If you can't afford either, get dex then for dodge chance or a split dex-str roll for more damage. Don't worry too much about super high wep damage, anything 600+ is good and 800+ is great!

Facepalm. While I prefer to use basic sword-n-board, a good lifesteal skorn is very good and keeps you fine in high MP. If you run a nado build which almost all top barbs use, you'll almost certainly be dual wielding

2. Shield: This is mandatory for HC, for without a shield you are very badly gimping your ehp. Shields let you gain 1000+ more armor, 60+ more resist, tons of vitality and 20+ more block. This can add a 50% to 100% boost to your ehp, meaning you could have 2m ehp instead of only 1m! Stormshields are probably the best for all classes, especially barbs. Get as much block as you can then worry what type of random roll you'll get. Unless you are extremely rich, skip vit(or %) life in that slot. I went with the max of 34% block, it's great even with a weak random of cold res.

Block has outsized effects in eHP calculations and its useless against descecration, arcane, etc. Shields are far from mandatory as most top barbs dual wield. block is best for an eHP e-peen

3. Helm: The best helm, ehp wise is without a doubt the helm of command. It's a must for all shield wearers. Mempos may seem good, but they can't touch helms of command ehp wise and they cost far, far, far more. 8% block is vastly better than 8% ias. If you need attack speed this badly, there's several other slots for this, but very few slots for block. You will want at least 2 good rolls on your helm of command. Sockets and ar are really expensive but you can look for extra vitality(split primary+vit roll), 200+ extra armor, % life rolls(partially makes up for socket), life regeneration, etc. Avoid helms of command with 0 or 1 good random rolls since they can roll 4 randoms. Don't be afraid to give up damage in this slot if you can find one with 3 or 4 good defensive randoms.

Mempos are infinitely better than HoCs. HoCs are useless. 70+ AR, 10% life, and 170+ to a main is better than 99.9% of HoCs out there.

5. Amulet: I chose to get a high loh roll instead of all resist. For some reason, you give up alot if you want resist in this slot. I will be crafting vitality amulets and have a good chance of getting one better than what I have.

Are you serious?!!?!!?!? CC and CD is almost mandatory in this spot. IF you arent stacking crit and want eHP, you go for stats, AR, and life %. LoH is useless for a barb. Tank builds like you advocate need 0 LoH. At high MP, you use lifesteal%.

6. Boots: I have firewalkers which I will only be using on lower MP levels because it's missing vitality. For MP3, I spend more time fighting than running so I will be buying some rare boots with primary+vit+dex+ar and ill also try to get armor, life regen, health globes, pickup radius, etc.

wtf??? you know there are things called ice climbers, IK boots, and the unusual barb rolled natalya...
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Blotto
This is one of the worst guides that I have ever seen.

Ace's guide is just 1 sided... straight ehp. Unfortunately, this game isn't 1 dimensional, and if you try to go that route you are making it harder on yourself than it should be.

It's called balance, between dps and ehp, and only in HC can you really appreciate it.
Reply Quote
tl:dr is this a joke post? I'm the #3 eHP barb on the server and this advice is just plain retarded.

Grats on your #3 ehp barb thats never played inferno?
Reply Quote
Just would like to see the barb at bosses with enrage timers.... alone, without DPS Monster besides.
Reply Quote
I've been reading your expert advice OP on the boards today, and you've definitely been entertainment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]