Diablo® III

My ehp is over 2m! Here's some tips!

Solid advice man and i actually thought this was necro thread but you need bit more dps and 15% dps nerf from monsters actually makes It alot easier now
Reply Quote
By the way, block is awesome but I feel you're placing way too much emphasis on block and what it does to your ehp (I assume you're using a calculator). Block doesn't do anything against most of the elite affixes which are the main damage srouces in the game.

Block is great for standing in the middle of fire-chains, and tanking a horde of white mobs all around you. But that's pretty much all it does.

Just something to keep in mind.
Reply Quote
Block is good for inflating ehp on diablo progress lol
Reply Quote
View profile
My barb only has 750k ehp, but has good sustain with over 1,000 LOH. Dual-wield and can tank almost all elites. I'm always moving though, I only pop WOTB when frozen appears, move out of arcane, fire, plague, etc.

I would love to have over 2 million ehp, but it's not necessary to clear inferno.
Reply Quote
My barb only has 750k ehp, but has good sustain with over 1,000 LOH. Dual-wield and can tank almost all elites. I'm always moving though, I only pop WOTB when frozen appears, move out of arcane, fire, plague, etc.

I would love to have over 2 million ehp, but it's not necessary to clear inferno.

I seem to see this a lot.

People who are only/mostly interested in clearing inferno (and or getting the achievement for it). I believe this group mostly plays hardcore as a diversion from softcore and or will not hang around long before moving onto other games or back to softcore

And people who view clearing inferno as the very first step to a lot of subsequent playing including farming, gearing up, and leveling paragon. These people tend to mostly only play hardcore as the entrety of their d3 experience and all that the game has to offer (as in they experience everything in hardcore).

Nothing wrong with either but it's interesting to see how the two groups often have completely different priorities when it comes to building and using their characters. The latter is often a lot more conservative and cautious.
Edited by Pzypro#1837 on 3/3/2013 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

People who are only/mostly interested in clearing inferno (and or getting the achievement for it). I believe this group mostly plays hardcore as a diversion from softcore and or will not hang around long before moving onto other games or back to softcore

And people who view clearing inferno as the very first step to a lot of subsequent playing including farming, gearing up, and leveling paragon. These people tend to mostly only play hardcore as the entrety of their d3 experience and all that the game has to offer.

Nothing wrong with either but it's interesting to see how the two groups often have completely different priorities when it comes to building and using their characters. The latter is often a lot more conservative and cautious.

What group do I belong in?
Reply Quote
The awesome group, clearly.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/03/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Pzypro
The awesome group, clearly.

My ego's been stroked more than a mempo drop.
Reply Quote
This wud've been gr8 advice back in May/June 2012

Also this
By the way, block is awesome but I feel you're placing way too much emphasis on block and what it does to your ehp (I assume you're using a calculator). Block doesn't do anything against most of the elite affixes which are the main damage srouces in the game.

Block is great for standing in the middle of fire-chains, and tanking a horde of white mobs all around you. But that's pretty much all it does.

Just something to keep in mind.
Edited by ZealousAngel#1585 on 3/3/2013 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

And people who view clearing inferno as the very first step to a lot of subsequent playing including farming, gearing up, and leveling paragon. These people tend to mostly only play hardcore as the entrety of their d3 experience and all that the game has to offer (as in they experience everything in hardcore).

I think what he meant is its not necessary. I dont have much more ehp ( maybe 200-300k), but I wipe the floor with MP5. In fact, im pretty sure I clear mp5 4 times faster than the op does mp0.

EHP is always good, but theres no point going overboard
Edited by Actua#1829 on 3/4/2013 4:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
tl:dr is this a joke post? I'm the #3 eHP barb on the server and this advice is just plain retarded.

1. Weapon: Avoid 2h weps unless they have 400+ vitality and 1000+ loh and you only use it to do quick runs at mp0. Dual wielding is almost always inferior to sword and board. If you must dual wield, your weps need 200+ vitality and 500+ loh. Your two best weps, ehp wise are the empyrean spear and the doombringer. It's a choice between 70+ ar and 7% block. Try to get as much vitality as you can on the single random roll. High loh is another good option. If you can't afford either, get dex then for dodge chance or a split dex-str roll for more damage. Don't worry too much about super high wep damage, anything 600+ is good and 800+ is great!

Facepalm. While I prefer to use basic sword-n-board, a good lifesteal skorn is very good and keeps you fine in high MP. If you run a nado build which almost all top barbs use, you'll almost certainly be dual wielding

2. Shield: This is mandatory for HC, for without a shield you are very badly gimping your ehp. Shields let you gain 1000+ more armor, 60+ more resist, tons of vitality and 20+ more block. This can add a 50% to 100% boost to your ehp, meaning you could have 2m ehp instead of only 1m! Stormshields are probably the best for all classes, especially barbs. Get as much block as you can then worry what type of random roll you'll get. Unless you are extremely rich, skip vit(or %) life in that slot. I went with the max of 34% block, it's great even with a weak random of cold res.

Block has outsized effects in eHP calculations and its useless against descecration, arcane, etc. Shields are far from mandatory as most top barbs dual wield. block is best for an eHP e-peen

3. Helm: The best helm, ehp wise is without a doubt the helm of command. It's a must for all shield wearers. Mempos may seem good, but they can't touch helms of command ehp wise and they cost far, far, far more. 8% block is vastly better than 8% ias. If you need attack speed this badly, there's several other slots for this, but very few slots for block. You will want at least 2 good rolls on your helm of command. Sockets and ar are really expensive but you can look for extra vitality(split primary+vit roll), 200+ extra armor, % life rolls(partially makes up for socket), life regeneration, etc. Avoid helms of command with 0 or 1 good random rolls since they can roll 4 randoms. Don't be afraid to give up damage in this slot if you can find one with 3 or 4 good defensive randoms.

Mempos are infinitely better than HoCs. HoCs are useless. 70+ AR, 10% life, and 170+ to a main is better than 99.9% of HoCs out there.

5. Amulet: I chose to get a high loh roll instead of all resist. For some reason, you give up alot if you want resist in this slot. I will be crafting vitality amulets and have a good chance of getting one better than what I have.

Are you serious?!!?!!?!? CC and CD is almost mandatory in this spot. IF you arent stacking crit and want eHP, you go for stats, AR, and life %. LoH is useless for a barb. Tank builds like you advocate need 0 LoH. At high MP, you use lifesteal%.

6. Boots: I have firewalkers which I will only be using on lower MP levels because it's missing vitality. For MP3, I spend more time fighting than running so I will be buying some rare boots with primary+vit+dex+ar and ill also try to get armor, life regen, health globes, pickup radius, etc.

wtf??? you know there are things called ice climbers, IK boots, and the unusual barb rolled natalya...

Listen to this guy not the OP. You stack load of EHP with sub 30K DPS in act3 considered yourself a leecher.
Edited by Netadm1n#1171 on 3/4/2013 5:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
2. Shield: This is mandatory for HC, for without a shield you are very badly gimping your ehp. Shields let you gain 1000+ more armor, 60+ more resist, tons of vitality and 20+ more block.

Exscet for the armor, id say rest is wrong. Shield is good cause it can give you like 250+ STR and 9-10% critt. That's serious stuff.

Don't worry too much about super high wep damage

Oh, i realy worry, eveyrthing that dies in less than 2 seconds, cant kill me. Specialy if you play a specc based on pure weapon dmg that cant critt (see Rend).

If you must dual wield, your weps need 200+ vitality and 500+ loh

3000 life regen and 3% life steal on a 100k dps, is 5x better than 500 LOH. U dont have the luxury of these, then u go for the life steal of Rend. Or u can use both ... even if tend to be borring as your HP dont move down at all.

I went with the max of 34% block, it's great even with a weak random of cold res.

Generaly having high block means u are completely gimped char, since there are extremely extremely few items that give you extra block, and those that give you this, are pure crap in matter of rest of the stats.

You will want at least 2 good rolls on your helm of command

Id say bull!@#$, best Helm of Command roll ever, wont even be half that good comparing to a good Mempo or to a Triumph with all resist(triumph for the critt) . If its a Mempo with critt... then its worth like 10x helms of commands.

Amulet: I chose to get a high loh roll instead of all resist. For some reason, you give up alot if you want resist in this slot.

someone wrote about those already. I just want to add that if it has also Average dmg (+dmg) then its also great.
Reply Quote
View profile

Like Actua said, I'm just saying that it's not necessary. It's finding a good balance between ehp and dps. If you kill the monsters fast, they don't have much of a chance to kill you.

I don't know about these groupings you are talking about, but I enjoy HC much more than SC. SC is where you test the setups you are going to use in HC. I don't need to belong to any group. I play the way I want to. Maybe someday I can be in the cool group, but for now, I'm a loner.
Reply Quote
OP's post is somewhat useful for new HC barbs like me, but it does feel like he's going overboard with defense. My gear's worth about 1-1.5m and I've got about a third of the mitigation OP's suggesting. Still, nothing in Act1 scratches me and Act1 mp1 barely scratches me but takes soo long to clear.

800k unbuffed EHP feels good enough for now, my goal's to get dps up to 30k-ish without losing that EHP
Reply Quote

Don't worry too much about super high wep damage

Oh, i realy worry, eveyrthing that dies in less than 2 seconds, cant kill me. Specialy if you play a specc based on pure weapon dmg that cant critt (see Rend).

Rend does Crit.
Reply Quote
1. Block works for about 90% of attacks and makes for another great layer of damage mitigation. Block can't easily be stacked unlike vit, resist and armor so I want to make the most of block because I can get other ehp stats in many slots, not so with block.

2. I don't know how you glass cannons do it, but I would die very, very fast with under 1m ehp. My health bar often loses half from a difficult elite and that's with well over 2m ehp. I would be too scared to get near any elite if I had under 1m ehp.

3. I am not obsessed with dps and am used to having around 20k unbuffed dps. I was around that in dps in SC till patch 1.05 and I was farming MP3-5 keyruns. It did take a little long but now my SC barb has over 70k unbuffed and almost 200k buffed dps and those runs go by fast. Like others said, I am focused on ehp and will only worry about getting above 20k unbuffed dps down the road. If I were obsessed with high dps, HC would not be for me.

4. I did not focus on cc/cd till patch 1.05 in SC and won't be focusing on crit in HC for now because of high costs and the fact it's almost impossible to mix crit and ehp. Well, ill take crit as a bonus on the amulet, glove and bracer slots that I craft as long as I also roll all resists.

5. Elites have enough HP that they can kill you long before you can kill them above MP1. I know this from all the SC testing. MP3 gets scary in HC where I can lose half my HP from hard elites.

6. Lifesteal is nearly useless below 100k dps and I don't expect to ever hit 100k dps in HC. I do plan to craft a decent loh amulet. As for life regen, yes, I want to get as much of that as I can, 3k would be nice.

7. Good block items are stormshields, well rolled rare shields and helms of command. Doombringers and Justice Lanterns can be good if rolled properly. I probably won't bother again with a JL ring as I already have godly rare rings that give me huge ehp. I have some doombringers but they are missing vit :( As for helms of command, they give the best ehp of any helm, period and mine can be even better, I need all resists and/or socket in mine. If any of you craft this item, I will buy the properly rolled ones(for barb and alts) and you can resalvage the bad ones or AH them cheap. I will make a thread on HOC vs. Mempo.
Reply Quote
1. Block works for about 90% of attacks and makes for another great layer of damage mitigation. Block can't easily be stacked unlike vit, resist and armor so I want to make the most of block because I can get other ehp stats in many slots, not so with block.

Unfortunately, the 10% of attacks which cant be blocked is what kills ppl often - arcane, desecrate, molten, plague. So I think u r just placing too much emphasis on block. I can understand a barb using an SS, but using HoC when u can get a mempo is not a good idea, and using a justice lantern is just plain awful.

03/05/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Ace
5. Elites have enough HP that they can kill you long before you can kill them above MP1. I know this from all the SC testing. MP3 gets scary in HC where I can lose half my HP from hard elites.

It seems like u r just starting hc, so I can understand when u say tht it takes a long time for u to kill elites in mp1+. So it makes sense for u to build ehp, have 0 dps and make a support barb to play with frnds who have high dps. Thts a good way to go if u r just starting hc, but by no means shud u stick to it indefinitely.
Just coz u can't do it does not mean tht no one else can. I know plenty of ppl (including barbs) who faceroll mp4 like its mp0. Ofc, getting tht kind of gear would take a while, but thts something u can definitely achieve. And no, u dont need to dual-wield credit cards to achieve tht.
Edited by ZealousAngel#1585 on 3/5/2013 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well OP you seem set on you build so good luck with that. But completing mp 0 with your gear is decent. but on higher MP like MP 5 you will just melt to a plague and arcane elite.
Reply Quote
Keywarden mp2 did it by cornering him and bringing along some trashmob.
Reply Quote
03/03/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Bloodthirst
i actually thought this was necro thread

And it was!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]