Diablo® III

Improving co-op in 1.08

The single greatest improovement to multiplayer anything, be it co-op farming, pvp, levelling, whatever - the single greatest improovement is a LOBBY.

Give us a LOBBY where we can creat games, name games for specific purposes, and choose what games to join, because this instant random mix and match !@#$ has got to go.

I hate to sound angry and demanding, but lobbys have been a fundamental aspect of multiplayer for as long as i can remember and i believe diablo 3 already has the facility for this system, i am primarilly thinking of the party screen when you leave game and your hero is standing there with 3 others, the chat box in in lower left corner allowing conversations about games is already there and you can add a games tab similar to the friends list tab that will bring up a list of all the games currently available for you to join.

I know Blizzard has the ability and the skill to make this happen, all they need is the will to do it, don't wait to implement this stuff with the expansion or some other dodgy corporate shenanigans for profit, the profit will be there regardless.

p.s
increase the party size to at least 6 as well please if you are so focused on co-op gameplay, let us co-op with all the classes in one game.
Edited by Amos#6777 on 3/7/2013 1:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Lots of good comments here! Just a few quick points

1. As a point of clarification, "dropping less loot on the ground" is not slated for 1.0.8. It's part of our general philosophy for beyond the 1.0.8 timeframe.

2. I really like the suggestions that don't make multiplayer feel mandatory. Suggestions along the lines of "I don't want to feel penalized for playing with my friends" or "provide a small bonus to overcome the logistical overhead" are in the scope of what we're thinking.

3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information. We know some of you may disagree and you'll always want 8 players, and I can respect that. This is something we've debated heavily though, and feel strongly about.

4. We've discussed the "leecher" problem. Nothing to share yet but it's definitely rough when it happens.

Thanks for all the great discussion thus far!

Too much on screen for more than four players? I feel it would be just fine if we could zoom out further.
Reply Quote
Maybe playing for fun not for be most efficient put defferent light......then you start even play in another acts simply for fun and believe me there too loot drops and you gain exp.

Man, thats the problem in online gaming all play for be "most efficient" not for FUN (this is what for game is produced). :p
Reply Quote
3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information.

Then please make the viewable area larger, increase the distance between character and camera / max zoom out. Even when i'm solo, sometimes my view feels so limited. When fighting Belial the screen size increases, maybe it would be too much for normal/multi gameplay, but somewhere in between would be great.

03/07/2013 01:48 AMPosted by AntBriWes
Too much on screen for more than four players? I feel it would be just fine if we could zoom out further.

Agree.
Edited by ssanyesz#2866 on 3/7/2013 1:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Didn't read the whole thread - sorry if this has been mentioned.

All skills and items that have some on kill mechanic should work off of kills of your teammates. If testing shows this to be op then this could be tuned down like e.g. (effect of on kill trigger) / (number of players in party). So that 1000 life on kill gives you 333 life when your teammate kills a monster within one or two screens in a three player game. You should still gain the full 1000 for your own kills of course.
Examples: Archon duration increase, WD nearby deaths could check teammates pickup radius too (incentive for group gearing)...
Reply Quote
Good old chattlobby from D2 and beta FTW.
Reply Quote

3. We totally see the appeal of having more than 4 players in a game, but it has its downsides, and the big one is that the screen becomes so crowded you can't tell what's going on. It's important that a player can discern important information from the game world and make tactical decisions based on this information. We know some of you may disagree and you'll always want 8 players, and I can respect that. This is something we've debated heavily though, and feel strongly about.

If you wanted to solve clutter on the screen, perhaps designing a UI that doesn't suck out?

- Skill Icons are too large
- Health Globes are too large
- Mini-Map is practically useless since all the levels are designed in such a linear fashion.
- Quest Log is completely useless because you can only ever have one quest at a time with how stupidly linear this game is.

Trim all that down and maybe you will find some space to place a few extra portraits.
Reply Quote
- Skill Icons are too large
- Health Globes are too large

Get an HD, 1080 widescreen monitor, my friend. They are actually quite small at the preferred resolution. In over 400 hours of play, they have never been a problem.

(Though I do see the merit in your other points.)
Reply Quote

But We love chaos on the screen! This is we are playing H&S ! We love having our screens filled with monsters, players, chaos in on word ! We don't really want tactical RPG like Baldur. Moreover 8 players is not mendatory right ? having option is always the best solution. 2-8 players for hosts decision. I beg You, rethink that.
Reply Quote
5 players max for co-op would make sense since there are 5 classes. It would be great to see how each class would work with each other.
Reply Quote
I suggest increasing the party size to 6-8 to be more fun
Reply Quote
My only gripe with co-op right now is that higher MP play style for DHs doesn't really lend itself to partying with any other classes except maybe a CM wiz. It's a bit ironic that when playing MP5-7 with a barb, he has to run around like a headless chicken, and my DH has to root herself like a stump, or we both die. The net result of course is that while I tank the leftovers, he's three screen ahead, and I get no loot or exp from his kills.

WW barbs, TR monks and even archon wizards wouldn't share my pain, because they'd have hit the mobs I would then finish off, and so get loot off them even from across the entire dungeon. It's the rearguard tank that gets the shaft. Unfortunately, as versatile as the DH is, Strafe doesn't cut it in higher MPs, and we have to get more and more stationary to survive. We can move but it's expensive and we need to know when.

A visual queue where the other player is in co-op (direction and distance) would be a great QOL improvement. A marquee on the ground 250yd from the player (or whatever the loot radius is) or simply (a) direction and distance indicator(s) pointing to the other player(s)? For the former, think Battle of Middle Earth unit range. For the latter, think Descent Freespace HUD. Who said good ideas in an ARPG only need to come from ARPGs? :)

What this would do is let players know when they need to reposition so they are still part of the loot/exp pool, as is their due for doing their share in killing mobs. All without the need to rebalance a single skill. Yes, that information is on the minimap, but in the heat of battle, who really keeps an eye on that?
Reply Quote
8 players would be cool, but its not possible on my computer. Those of you suggesting a minimum of 5.... no, that won't work. Just being able to set the max players would be cool. Minimum and maximum should be the game starter's choice.
Reply Quote
- // - // - I M P O R T A N T - // - // -

There's a problem with all this and that is Multiboxing.

I used to box in WoW and I play 2 Wizards or 2 Barbs on occasion - mostly solo though. So it's not that I have anything morally against it. It's just that right now boxing is really strong for people who know what they're doing. Legendaries dropping left and right and everything they do is in the mind of one player.

The hurdles of team coordination doesn't exist for them. It's one person making the decisions and focusing on what needs to be done at any given time. It's possible to box specs that really minimize the loss of control of the character and thus time wasted. I would say a good boxer is about 80-90% effective per character. The occasional CC from mobs and some other logistical issues reduce the effectiveness a little bit but that's A LOT of loot and advantages for someone playing 2-4 characters.

"Your loot is your own" really changes the multiboxing scene in comparison to WoW or most other boxable games, where the loot is shared. If you increase individual rewards for playing in a party, boxing will only become more of a preferred way to play. And who knows what you do down the line - if you keep adding to this then the people boxing will be miles ahead of everyone else. This is also a christmas present to farming companies.

Blizzard have condoned Multiboxing:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5825582768?page=2#25

- // - // - I M P O R T A N T - // - // -
Edited by bjornh#2928 on 3/7/2013 4:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't expect to have 8 players in a game, but come on! There are 5 classes, there should be 5 players allowed in a game. That just seems obvious.
Reply Quote
give us a monster pet like in torchlight where we could just send them back to sell for us ^^ :)) or maybe our followers should do that stuff.
Reply Quote
The single greatest improovement to multiplayer anything, be it co-op farming, pvp, levelling, whatever - the single greatest improovement is a LOBBY.Give us a LOBBY where we can creat games, name games for specific purposes, and choose what games to join, because this instant random mix and match !@#$ has got to go.

Lobbys are outdated, the current system is fine.

Seriously where is the fun creating a game when nobody is coming? Ever did Anya, Ancients, Temple etc. at D2? It was impossible to find people, nobody came into your game.

Now its a lot better, if you want to make a quest lets say A1 Skeleton king - you instantly have people with you, no more waiting and hoping. This is the future, the Lobby system is past.

As for that Coop addition in a later patch. I just hope it does work in puplic games aswell. I hope you learned your lesson with making MPs unavailable in Multiplayer first and that you wont make the same mistake again with whatever you have in mind for the future of coop.
Reply Quote
1. As a point of clarification, "dropping less loot on the ground" is not slated for 1.0.8. It's part of our general philosophy for beyond the 1.0.8 timeframe.

To be clear we have patch 1.0.8 and then a patch 1.0.9 then the expansion, correct?

What is the "beyond 1.0.8" timeframe?

1.1 before expansion .. pvp update ....they promised
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Euros
What I would like to see in co-op is allowing us to have our followers in a pub game. Then we can show off what our follower's got too. It was fun in d2 to show off my merc's gear to my friends. Plus we wouldnt lose those added buffs our followers grant us for using them when joining a pub game.

I agree with the above statement, I really enjoy storming through Sanctuary with Kormac. :)
Whenever a friend invites me to a game, I'm torn between two decisions: farming more efficiently with a follower and being sociable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]