Diablo® III

+X% To Elemental Skills

I'm curious - has anyone here experimented with the +X% To Elemental items? Have you stacked them? Are the results worth taking over maximizing straight DPS?

I was debating trying a build like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lPOSjg!Weg!ZbcZaZ

Using some combination of the following items along with some LoH/C%/APoc gear:

Hands:
Frostburn (+ Cold)
or
Magefist (+ Fire) - Can these roll C%?

1H:
Axe of Sankis (+ Fire)
or
Fragment of Destiny (+ Fire/Cold/Lightning)

OH:
Triumverate
or
Tals (+3% Elemental Set bonus)

2H:
Maximus (+ Fire)

With this build is there any need for IAS? Will it effect the casting of either spell? Any benefit to going 1H + Triumverate (or Tals for additional +3% Elemental damage) over higher 2H DPS? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Danov#1796 on 3/4/2013 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
+X% to elemental damage (like Triumvirate affix) is different from +x% damage to elemental skills (like tal's set bonus). Stacking the first is good with a black weapon and those affixes add directly to your displayed DPS value. Stacking the second is only really useful for frostburn gloves with a cold based build, assuming you don't have super high DPS trifecta gloves already, or possibly the fire axe with meteor and fire bolts.
Reply Quote
The "adds X% to element damage" affix doesn't work the way you might think. It should be worded "adds X% as element damage", because it just increases your sheet dps. Its like the "adds min-max element damage" affix on weapons, except its a percentage which is applied to all your non elemental damage from weapon, off hand, and jewelery, rather than a flat min-max value. This affix just increases your dps, the element type is irrelevant (as a wizard) unless you are using spectral blades, since SB is the only wizard spell that uses your weapons element type. All other spells convert all damage to their type (like frost for blizzard, ect.)

The tal rasha set bonuses, frostburn, and fragment of destiny "element skills deal X% more damage" affix does what you would expect. It doesn't show up in your sheet dps, but adds the % damage to skills of that type.

More attack speed allows you to cast more meteors or blizzards in a fixed amount of time. For that build specifically, attack speed would be bad because you would be out of AP all the time.
Reply Quote
Yes, sorry for the misleading title. I'm curious about the +X% to Elemental Skills. I know the +X% to Elemental Damage just adds bonus DPS on black damage.

I'm interested to possibly stack Magefist (if they can roll C%) with a good Fragment of Destiny (High Cold/Fire roll) and some Tals pieces to get a nice total +% to Fire Skills to see if I can use Meteor Shower at greater effect on higher MP in comparison to my current CM build.

I figured I might as well check if anyone else on here has had the same idea... and if so... have they tested it?
Reply Quote
+x% to skill damage is so underpowered compared to critical hit chance/critical hit damage/attack speed that it might as well say +30% to puppy kisses.
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Shaggy
+x% to skill damage is so underpowered compared to critical hit chance/critical hit damage/attack speed that it might as well say +30% to puppy kisses.

Ok. This is the type of answer I was looking for lol. Have you (or do you know of anyonethat has) tried to stack the bonuses of Magefist + (Sankis/Fragment/Maximus) + Tals? Is it still underwhelming even with good rolls and decent C% on the rest of the gear set?

I am trying to see if I could put something together with respectable DPS (that goes beyond sheet DPS) so I could be of some use on MP7+ instead of farming MP5/6 with my current CM build/gear. It doesn't sound like puppy kisses will do the trick, however.

It's times like these that I miss D2 and throwing together a character using the editor in offline mode to test it for a few minutes to get a rough idea... and then go into MP and build it.
Reply Quote
Tal's is terrible because it only gives a 3% bonus. The frost burn gloves aren't too bad, and like I said above, are one of the only items with that affix I would consider using. Unless removing your gloves drops your dps by more than 30-36%, then frostburns will give you higher effective dps (assuming max rolls) in cold based builds.

For weapons, it's hard to use them because you can probably get much higher effective dps using a better non-gimic weapon, like a black wand with 1100 DPS and OS. Most of those gimic weapons have low dps (under 1k) and have problems rolling other good stats like LS+OS.
Reply Quote
View profile Tal's is terrible because it only gives a 3% bonus. The frost burn gloves aren't too bad, and like I said above, are one of the only items with that affix I would consider using. Unless removing your gloves drops your dps by more than 30-36%, then frostburns will give you higher effective dps (assuming max rolls) in cold based builds.

For weapons, it's hard to use them because you can probably get much higher effective dps using a better non-gimic weapon, like a black wand with 1100 DPS and OS. Most of those gimic weapons

I would be more interested in stacking +X% to Fire Skills since the damage for Blizzard is already underwhelming. I'd be using Blizzard to slow/freeze and Meteor Shower for damage. The simplicity of the build would let me just cast blizz... drop a few meteors... cast blizz... drop a few meteors... etc. No CM spamming.

The Axe of Sankis and Fragment of Destiny can roll decent enough DPS (up to about 970)... as can Maximus (up to 1290)... please keep in mind I'm pretty poor lol. My current Chant is only 1K DPS.

My other question was... even if I did try to stack my +X% Puppy Kisses... would you go with the 2H Maximus for higher weapon damage and lower attack speed or Sankis/Fragement to get another 10% Crit Chance from a good offhand source?
Reply Quote

... +X% Puppy Kisses...

Best statement all day in this context. LOL!
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Danov
My other question was... even if I did try to stack my +X% Puppy Kisses... would you go with the 2H Maximus for higher weapon damage and lower attack speed or Sankis/Fragement to get another 10% Crit Chance from a good offhand source?

Probably a 2H if you don't modify the build you linked at all. You will be out of AP all the time with those skills. Regardless of how useless puppy kisses are, you would probably need to get the full Tal Rasha's set for the AP regen. You may be able to use a slower 1H weapon with some APoC and meteor cost reduction on TR's unwavering glare, and the set AP regen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]