Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu (Part 2)

(Locked)

You obviously dislike A LOT of things about D3. Perhaps rather than wasting your time complaining, you should go try other games in the genre like TL2, POE, TQ, or MH - when it comes out later this year.

I like just as many things about the game as I dislike. I think it's a great game. I also think that it has the potential to be, literally, the best game ever made. The game needs a TON of work to reach that point, but I think it's possible.

I've played all of those games EXTENSIVELY. I'd say at least 200-300 hours per game.

03/06/2013 12:01 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
The vast majority of people WON'T read posts/threads like these anyway, so you've basically just wasted your time typing and formatting the OP.

You're right, it is hard to get people to read such an intimidating wall of text. Still though, apparently a lot of people read it, as the last thread hit 50 pages in just over 2 days. Maybe it was a waste of time, maybe it wasn't. I want the game to improve badly enough that I thought if there was any chance I could help it to then I would do whatever I could to increase those odds.
03/06/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Technoviking

I put it in there so people like you would give the thread free bumps. Thanks for your contribution! :D

further proving my theory of you being an egotistical attention whoar

Yes.

I spent all that time writing about Diablo 3, but in reality the post is actually just a clever method of drawing attention to myself. People will forever remember that Gosu guy who wrote that really long Diablo 3 post! E-fame, here I come.
03/06/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Gosu
"I'm Gosu, I'm great, and I want all of my ideas to be implemented. NAO! And rename the game to DiaGosu 3, of course".

OMG MY VOICE DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THAT!!!!

I'm totally in favor of renaming the game to DiaGosu 3, though. You mean to tell me you wouldn't play that game??!?!??!

I'm so great.

I would ! :D

Nice ideas by the way ^^
View profile
I still voice my concern that if your system is not implemented properly. Those points could be the new form of the +skills in D2. Where they are the new must haves, without them you would be gimping your character.
03/06/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Technoviking

I put it in there so people like you would give the thread free bumps. Thanks for your contribution! :D

I figured that out when he made a post in the "itemization blog is out" thread that basically said "why are you guys not paying attention to me?" and the whole "UBERS was my idea"...
the bad part is that after 10 years of whatever patches you will still be farming act 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so what s the fun there ?

I figured that out when he made a post in the "itemization blog is out" thread that basically said "why are you guys not paying attention to me?" and the whole "UBERS was my idea"...

Okay first of all, my response in that thread included not a shred of, "why aren't you guys paying attention to me". All I said was that I implore Blizzard to consider why their potential solutions were lacking and why/how the Nephalem Power system could solve the same problems while also improving the game in other ways. If you disagree, then lets talk about it! Why are some of you intent on focusing on me? If I'm such an "attention whoar" then aren't you just doing me a favor?

As for the Ubers was my idea thing, I said that I made a number of posts that contained such an idea LONG before it came out. I basically said that there should be a system in which you acquire certain "keys or items" that, when collected allow you to open a portal to another area that contains very challenging enemies and bosses that had increased odds to give powerful rewards. I went into quite a bit of detail on the system and it turned out to be VERY similar to the Infernal Machine system that was implemented some months later. I'll try to see if I can find the post but I don't know if the history will go that far back...it was around 8 months ago I think. I never once said that Uber bosses were my idea...lol. Uber bosses were in Diablo 2... How would they have been my idea??? I didn't even say that I was the first one to propose such a system! Similar systems already exist in one form or another in a great number of video games. All I did was detail a way that I thought it would work well in Diablo 3.

Please continue believing the things you want to believe instead of using reason to understand the truth. Also please continue responding to your heart's content, just know that I won't be responding anymore. Despite what you might think, the thread is about Diablo 3, not me.
What I'm saying is that a large number of skills have little to NO viability in ANY situation, at least not in an efficient manner. There shouldn't be ANY skills that can ONLY be viable if geared for. Gear is supposed to increase the viability and number of applications in which a skill can be used, not turn a useless skill into a "viable" one.

I think WD sacrifice and Barb Weapon Throw fit those descriptions. Not many people run sacrifice without Homunculus. Not many people pay a full 10 fury for Weapon Throw. They are only used with complimentary gear, and I don't see the problem with that. So I also don't see the problem you have with an orb which allows 2 active hydras, or gear that makes Call of the Ancients into pets. The Call of Ancients set wouldn't be that different from having permanent sweeping wind on the full Inna's Set. And people did use hydra before, so it's not a useless skill. It just needs a boost to be more competitive with the almighty permafreeze and archon builds.
03/06/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Gorthon
What I'm saying is that a large number of skills have little to NO viability in ANY situation, at least not in an efficient manner. There shouldn't be ANY skills that can ONLY be viable if geared for. Gear is supposed to increase the viability and number of applications in which a skill can be used, not turn a useless skill into a "viable" one.

I think WD sacrifice and Barb Weapon Throw fit those descriptions. Not many people run sacrifice without Homunculus. Not many people pay a full 10 fury for Weapon Throw. They are only used with complimentary gear, and I don't see the problem with that. So I also don't see the problem you have with an orb which allows 2 active hydras, or gear that makes Call of the Ancients into pets. The Call of Ancients set wouldn't be that different from having permanent sweeping wind on the full Inna's Set. And people did use hydra before, so it's not a useless skill. It just needs a boost to be more competitive with the almighty permafreeze and archon builds.

For the sake of build options and gearing options items like this are not good. On the other hand items like Won Kim Lau, Frostburn, and Maximus are great. Your right Hydra is not useless at all, but as Gosu said, who in their right mind would run Hydra without said item? These buffs need to come from another source besides items. In Hydras case just change one of the useless runes like Molten Hydra into a rune that allows for multiple hydas, or even better just add that ability into that rune! How sick would that be. Buff other runes accordingly BAM! Now we're getting somewhere.
Also, I just read Travis' reply to your OP and why does he keep saying stuff about getting rid of trifectas? I don't remember you or anyone else requesting the removal of such rolls on any items or the removal or any of those affixes individually. Am I wrong? Just add more good affixes. Make them crazy weird or whatever just as long as they affect the way your play the game in a significantly beneficial way.

Good job btw. Although I'm sure changes as significant as you propose could never be implemented in any content patch. I feel we are all doomed to wait for an expansion to see any really good changes to skill runes and the like.

I want to add as well that BiS legendarys are, as you said, an abomination. Skorn Manticore! Why they so good and other legs not? As soon as I saw these gearing and build guides I was repulsed. How could this happen! This game could be the ULTIMATE!
Edited by Spooky#1934 on 3/6/2013 5:05 PM PST
Thanks Gosu for taking the time and writing this , thank god blizzard is actually trying to do something about these problems , this game has the potential to be the best ARPG , let's make it happen.
I know that I speak on behalf of the vast majority of Diablo 3 players when I say that ALL skills need to have the ability, with proper gear and placement, to be powerful and useful.

Had to login to agree with this.

The devs have already expressed their desire to not "punish" the player for trying out different builds. (it's the explanation to why they like the current skill system vs the D2 one)

Ok, so you're letting us try them all out, without penalty. That's great. But some of those builds will always be "weak" or inefficient no matter what we do. So why don't you take this to the next level and give us the means to make any skill / any build become very powerful?!

Or, in other words, make any skill / build perfectly viable. Presently, there are a lot of builds / skills that you can easily label beforehand as "utter crap" no matter what you do.

There shouldn't be a "this is good and that is bad" in the game. Ok, maybe you can't succeed in this 100%, but at least let's get somewhat close to it, shall we?

Cheers!
Edited by Drako#2119 on 3/6/2013 6:34 PM PST
03/06/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Gorthon

I'm going to have to disagree with you that WD sacrifice and Barb Weapon Throw fit those descriptions. I have used both skills without any help from items in a manner that was at least a LITTLE bit efficient. They are actually perfect examples of skills for this debate because they really ride that line where one side belongs to all around "bad" skills while the other side is reserved for skills that can be useful without the help of items. Both skills could benefit from a overall buff but neither of them is bad enough to say, "you can't use me without a certain item". They're just VERY CLOSE to crossing that line...

My point still stands though. Why would you prefer to have skills that have no use in the game unless you equip ONE specific item? Wouldn't you agree that it would be a lot more fun to have skills hold power, while items simply increase that power or alter the ways in which they can be used? Nothing positive would be removed from the game if that were the case. You'd still have to equip certain items if you wanted to use the skills in a certain way or increase the power that they hold. So how exactly does the game benefit from having a useless skill that only becomes useful with a certain item?

I get it, it's fun to create something viable from something that wasn't viable before, and I absolutely agree that such a thing should be present in the game. But that's exactly why I feel that my point is logically superior! You gain MORE possibilities by having a skill that is useful in some ways become useful in OTHER ways with the acquiring of a certain item or set of items. So you see? You can still create viability where it did not currently exist! A skill that is only useful WITH an item means that it might as well not exist without said item. You are literally defeating the purpose of the skill without the item, thereby arbitrarily decreasing potential customization within the game.

Let's say a certain skill is only "viable" for single target damage by itself. That's okay right? Is that skill hurting the game by being useful to players who want good single target damage utility? Of course not! Now lets say that said skill gains some viability in AOE damage scenarios through the use of a particular item. That means that you've now been given the option to increase the scenarios in which this skill is viable through the acquiring of an item!

All the benefits with none of the downsides! How exactly would skills that are only "viable" WITH items improve the game? All that is doing is limiting a player's choices and decreasing potential build-diversity.

I think perhaps you should reread my response to the Dev Blog as there seems to be a great amount of misunderstanding taking place.

The reason that I don't like the Wizard orb Hydra affix is MUCH different than the reason I don't like the Call of the Ancients one. I never said that Hydra was a useless skill. The skill isn't useless at all! I think that it could use a slight buff and some of the runes could be a tad more interesting, but overall I think the skill is alright. :)

The Call of the Ancients affix would be SO MUCH different than the sweeping winds affix you are comparing it to. I'm really not certain how you came to that conclusion...In fact all that statement did was prove my point even further...lol. Sweeping winds isn't a useless skill without Inna's bonus. Not even in the slightest. All the Inna's bonus does is open up the number of potential ways it can be used and increase the efficiency of using it. The Paragon lvl'ing Tempest Rush Monk build is a perfect example of this. Inna's set bonus is almost required to make the spec so efficient. However, that doesn't mean that the skill is useless without it!

Call of the Ancients is so bad in comparison to your other choices that it is effectively a, "useless" skill. Do you really want a skill that has so much potential to be cool to ONLY be cool if you get a specific item? Wouldn't you rather have the skill and all its runes already be cool, while said item just increases the number of ways in which it can be cool?!?! How is less coolness ever better than more coolness?!? lol

See what I mean? Item's should increase power and viability of skills that are already viable. It shouldn't turn useless skills into viable ones. There should be no such thing as a skill that is "useless" without a certain item.

Edit: I left out something very important

Skills don't have to be viable 100% by themselves. It's okay for some skills to gain viability via the assistance of OTHER skills. You can't expect every skill to be "viable" if you accompany them with skills that don't compliment them. No one can just expect to run around and spam any skill, ignoring all their others, and expect it to work like a charm. That's not fun. So while items can play both supplemental and fundamental roles in your character's build, a skill should NEVER, ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE the assistance of an item before it can be used in ANY sort of efficient way.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 3/6/2013 6:45 PM PST
Or, in other words, make any skill / build perfectly viable. Presently, there are a lot of builds / skills that you can easily label beforehand as "utter crap" no matter what you do.

Cheers!

Thanks for your feedback.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not in favor of making every build a viable one. There's no fun in discovering builds if they are all similarly powerful in all ways. Certain builds should be powerful for certain things while other builds should be powerful for other things. Then there's just going to be some builds that are simply not very good at anything. This is the way it has to be. If you can't use your skills and gear choices intelligently then you should be punished with a build that performs accordingly. If you apply intelligence and experience and the proper gear, then your build should reward you with lots of power!
I just wanted to clarify that I am not in favor of making every build a viable one.

If you apply intelligence and experience and the proper gear, then your build should reward you with lots of power!

This is what I meant. It may not be in my wording, but it is in the quote I started off with. :)

Of course you shouldn't have every build being powerful without putting any effort into it.

But you're right, I should've expressed it more clearly, so I stand corrected. I should've said:

"make any skill / build perfectly viable, given an intelligent and adequate gear choice".

So that was my point all along, I thought I got the message through with that "no matter what you do".

Currently, even if you have an IQ of 300 and you manage to get the most adequate gear for your build, some builds will still be "utter crap".

Edit: I also agree with this:

Skills don't have to be viable 100% by themselves. It's okay for some skills to gain viability via the assistance of OTHER skills. You can't expect every skill to be "viable" if you accompany them with skills that don't compliment them
Edited by Drako#2119 on 3/6/2013 6:54 PM PST

Okay first of all, my response in that thread included not a shred of, "why aren't you guys paying attention to me".

No, that's all it did:

Instead of doing that, why not use the IMMENSELY superior form of customization that I talk about in my "Salvation of Diablo 3" thread?

"My ideas are better."

Seriously Travis, for the sake of the future of this game I urge you to read my post and tell me that what you guys have cooking is better (where nephalem power and prime power systems are concerned). You didn't seem to understand the Nephalem Power system and I think you should check Part 2 of my thread so you can get the full gist.

"My ideas are better, please listen to meeeeeee"

Note I never said your ideas are bad. I like a lot (but not all) of what you said. But that doesn't give you the right to be such an egotistical attention-monger who thinks only his ideas are good. Not to mention, you got the friggin lead (I assume?) game designer to respond in your thread, and you're still pleading for them to read it.

Also:

As for the Ubers was my idea thing, I said that I made a number of posts that contained such an idea LONG before it came out. I basically said that there should be a system in which you acquire certain "keys or items" that, when collected allow you to open a portal to another area that contains very challenging enemies and bosses that had increased odds to give powerful rewards.

A. already existed EXACTLY that way in Diablo 2. Not "your" idea.
B. You're probably not the only one, in fact I guarantee, you're not the only one to suggest a similar system.
Edited by Kupo#1759 on 3/6/2013 7:00 PM PST
No, that's all it did:

Instead of doing that, why not use the IMMENSELY superior form of customization that I talk about in my "Salvation of Diablo 3" thread?

"My ideas are better."

This is kind of silly. I'm not saying my ideas are better because they came from me. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with ME. I said my ideas were better for a HUGE number of reasons. I feel that I backed up my opinion with a TON of valid and logical reasoning. I didn't say that my ideas are better than everyone else's just because I say so and I'm so great. For all I know there are a ton of ideas out there for solving these issues that are a lot better than mine. Again, this has NOTHING to do with me. All I am trying to do is implore the Devs to consider WHY the ideas that I proposed are better than what THEY proposed.

You don't have to agree. I encourage everyone to explain why they don't agree if that's how they feel! I am not writing all this so that people can say, "Gosu for Dev omg he saved the game". That's NOT going to happen and I would never expect it to...lol. I'm doing it because I want to believe that if I can play even a TINY role in improving this game then I should do everything possible, even if it means posting on the Dev Blog saying, "consider my ideas because they are better for these reasons that I talk about here". Why is that a bad thing? In what possible way can that be conceived as a power trip or an egotistical action on my part?

Seriously Travis, for the sake of the future of this game I urge you to read my post and tell me that what you guys have cooking is better (where nephalem power and prime power systems are concerned). You didn't seem to understand the Nephalem Power system and I think you should check Part 2 of my thread so you can get the full gist.

"My ideas are better, please listen to meeeeeee"

Again, I laid out clear and lengthy logic as to why I think my ideas are better. I'm not holding this opinion on a whim or because I want credit for anything. I'm holding it because it makes sense to me and, apparently, a great number of others. I just want the game to improve. If it sounds like I'm begging then that's probably because my desire for this game to improve is very strong and I think that I can offer some quality input. Travis demonstrated that he either didn't actually read my post, or that he just didn't understand a great deal of it. That is why I "insisted" that he/they give consideration to what I wrote.

Why is that a bad thing? If you saw something you cared about being messed up in front of you(in your mind) wouldn't you do all that you could to inspire those who are doing the "messing" to consider an alternate route of action? That's not to say that I think Blizzard is making the game worse, I just think that they could be doing MORE to make it better and that certain things they talk about could potentially have negative effects on the game.

So for one last time, please stop trying to make this seem as if I'm making this about me. I want this game to be awesome and I think that some of the ideas I proposed can potentially help it along the way. If Blizzard disagrees then that's their prerogative, but at least I can say that I did everything in my power to stick to what I believe in(so long as the reasoning behind it is solid) and try and make a difference.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 3/6/2013 7:16 PM PST
As for the Ubers was my idea thing, I said that I made a number of posts that contained such an idea LONG before it came out. I basically said that there should be a system in which you acquire certain "keys or items" that, when collected allow you to open a portal to another area that contains very challenging enemies and bosses that had increased odds to give powerful rewards.

A. already existed EXACTLY that way in Diablo 2. Not "your" idea.
B. You're probably not the only one, in fact I guarantee, you're not the only one to suggest a similar system.

Scroll down.... I already said that the idea existed in Diablo 2 AND that it was incredibly unlikely that I was the ONLY one to suggest such a system. Why are you so bent on placing some kind of wrong doing on me? I haven't taken credit for anything nor do I intend to. I only said those things in my post to illustrate that many of the positions I've held on game design for Diablo 3 ended up making it into the game and improving it. I never said I was the only one to feel that way or that I was responsible for those systems making it into the game...

The majority of people understood this. Why are you so insistent on perceiving it negatively?
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 3/6/2013 7:17 PM PST
Look Gosu, you're smart, there's no denying it. And you have some very interesting ideas for the game. I really like some of your ideas, and they seem really fun and cool. But i think sometimes we gotta remember this is a game, and games aren't made anymore to be fun(not that they ever were).
They exist to make tons and tons of money, preferably with the least amount of work. I mean, sure, they could entirely rehaul the whole system they created, make the game 100x more fun, and make players love the game. In fact, thousands of old players could come back to keep playing.....but how many NEW players would join? For all the work they would put in, a minimal return on investment would be created. The most they could get would be a good name for Blizzard again, but that doesn't even matter. I gaurantee you, Most of the players here will buy the next game in 10 years. Computer gaming could be totally different, and Blizzard could come out with alot of hope for their next game...

I really like your ideas, but they seem to involve too many changes and issue balances. Devs would need to spend months making sure everything would work just right, whether game balance or glitches that could occur. Not to mention new animations for these skills and runes. Maybe I'm giving the Devs too much lenience, as I, being from the console generation, only played D2 through normal difficulty. And that (I know I know, yall just gonna say I'm too young, I don't know what I'm talking about and push me off,blah blah blah) took alot of time. I don't think I beat Baal until I had put in a solid month into the game. To beat one difficulty haha. There was no way I was spending more time on a game a barely understood when the new one was coming out two weeks.

Another thing to realize is I don't think Blizzard is looking at your generation anymore. I'm pretty sure you were in your teens too when you played D1 or D2. As Blizz KNEW their audience was below the age of 18, or kids in college. They probably aren't focusing anymore on you guys, being 40+ years old by now. My generation is the target, and that's probably why the game's mechanics are so simple. Ever played Modern Warfare? That game is fast, intense and has some truly heart-pumping matches occasionally.

Now i know I crossed a game barrier, but hear me out. That game was designed for the current audience, who live in a fast world with quick pleasure. You didn't have cellphones, WiFi, big rollercoasters, Facebook....all these things make life exciting and exilerating. Nobody in their right mind would grind away hundred's of hours to feel accomplished when they could way more excitement from a game like Modern Warfare or Halo.

For RPG games, I'll look at Skyrim. The only semblance I see it with D2 is that the skill trees are fixed, and spent points are fixed. Beyond that, Skyrim is 10x more personable than D2. You can TALK to people walking around town. You can kill guards or civilians. And the fighting is so up close in your face, YOU feel like you're swinging your mace into the troll's face. And the awesome cutscene kills. Let's not forget the graphics. You could literally spend hours just walking around looking at the beauty of the natural world around you. Now while this sounds like alot of time, it really isn't. you can finish the entire game in about 200 hours. Every major quest, every storyline. and you feel like you experienced a WHOLE other world. Like remember the movie Avatar? that was breathtaking. Now imagine playing in that world. You would feel amazing. Do you know how bada** it is to completely annaliate groups of enemies when you have beast armor, AND you know you're playing on the hardest difficulty, and you KNOW you're only surviving because you took the time to FIND the supplies to personally CRAFT set of armor? Then take the time to refine it, find soul gems and enchant the armor to make it BEAST?!

Point is, the current games know how to make you feel amazing, without taking a thousand hours to take effect. So the Devs simplified the game, made it easier to get awesome gear, and beat the game on Inferno difficulty. That was the current audience could actually beat the game in around 100 hours. Any gameplay after that was simply because you enjoyed the game. However, the weird thing is people thought playing the same game over and over with either different characters or better gear would make the game better. They were surely dissapointed to learn the hard way that wasn't the case. It's still the same game, fighting the same monsters, working for the same goals. Higher VIT, or STR, or more CC, or CD. There is no variation. In Skyrim you could fight a dragon, troll, vampire, orc, and giant and mammoth within the same hour. That's alot of action for your time.

You could try to make the game fun by making awesome animations, cool skills, and more challenges.....but its still the same game. It won't ever be like D2, because it wasn't created to build on its precessor. It's a new game, with new goals, and a different game experience. There is no more negotiating. You can't get discounts on trades, you can't kill people and restart their whole character, you won't wreck your character by clicking the wrong stat to increase, or learn that skill isn't as cool as they thought. That's not how Diablo works anymore. There's an auction house fore centralized, easy trades. Nobody in this day and age would risk losing their progress to some no life who spent hours on their character designed to kill players. The entire skill tree can be explored in a single playthrough! That's a huge fundamental change to the game. And people don't play anymore for the atmosphere like D1. You could look at Dead Space, but that game is designed around making you piss you pants, throw your controller, and have a heart attack. D1 was just dark and gritty. Oooh, skeleton...very scary.

I guess i kinda got off topic, but the point is these changes won't happen becuase they don't need to. You will still play the game, whether or not these changes happen. Those occasional patches just keep you hooked for a couple more hours, hoping Blizz will "finally see the light" and fix the game. Thing is, if they don't need to, they won't. If your boss asks you to say, I don't know, write ten pages about the history of your company, you would only write ten. Not twenty, not thirty, even if that would more accurately portray your company. You would write ten, as that's all you need to do. (I know that might be a horrible example, but try to understand the idea.)

There is no salvation for D3, Blizz got what they wanted; your money. There is no fix, as nothing is broken. They game is a business, it was invested in, and they are not required to better their game. It's harsh, but it's true. I hope My post makes sense. Try not to immediately squash it with "He mentioned consoled. No can do." Or "He's too young to know the truth. He's just a boy." I'm sure I've said some truth. Please take it.
Edited by Sheppito#1960 on 3/6/2013 10:00 PM PST
@Sheppito

While I appreciate your feedback, you seem to have assumed quite a number of things in your post. First of all, I'm not 40+...lol Not even close. I'm 25 years old and I was barely 13 (?) when Diablo 2 came out. You seem to be laboring under the idea that intelligent and "invested" gaming is dead or at least dying. Your observations of the gaming industry, while demonstrating experience, are somewhat lacking in truth. People don't just play games for the "excitement". Value can be derived from games in a TON of different ways. WoW subscribers are still over 9 million(what 9 million!?) and "exciting" is probably the last term I'd use to describe that game. It's a glorified, multiplayer, RPG social network investment game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game for the 6+ years that I played it and I have very fond memories and quite a number of friends gained from my experience.

I have played Skyrim and at least the last 5 iterations of Call of Duty and I found all of those games to be somewhat of a bore. Skyrim is a game that requires the submersion of one's self into the world of the game in order to enjoy it to its maximum potential(at least that is what I came to learn). I find the combat systems of both Oblivion and Skyrim to be incredibly boring, at least the non-modded systems. As for Call of Duty, I am really just not that big of a fan. I occasionally play with friends to kill some time but I can't say that there's one exceptional thing about the game. Dota, Dota 2 and HoN (and LoL if you aren't good enough to play the others) are all a million times more fun to me as far as multiplayer is concerned. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with making a game for the sole purpose of making money. It's a business and it ALWAYS has been. People make fun games so that other people can have fun playing them and pay to do so. That's not to say that the creativity, innovation and artistic expression that drive some of these games are to be taken for granted. People put their all into some of these games and I have nothing but respect for those people. The fact is though, they do it for success. Money comes with success(usually) and I've never had a problem with that. Blizzard is money grubbing and I respect them for it. I respect successful businesses. People would not pay for something that they didn't find value in. Sometimes you make a mistake in your investment choices but mistakes do not result in the continued success of a company like Blizzard.

You are right, many of my suggestions simply require too much man power to implement into the game via a patch. I never assumed that all, or any of these things could be designed and implemented in a flash with little overhead. The thing that YOU have to realize is that millions of people play games so that they can invest their time and be rewarded accordingly. Instant gratification can be nice, and works well in many different games, but I personally receive MUCH greater satisfaction from investing time into a game to accomplish a goal or a set of goals. The feeling of being the first guild to down Kael-Thas in WoW TBC after wiping for several weeks was a feeling so many times greater than anything I have experienced with a game like Call of Duty. There is absolutely no comparison. That was the result of a great investment on my part.

You say that Blizzard is not required to better their game. Again you are mistaken. Blizzard is required to do EVERYTHING in their power to increase the size of their fanbase, regardless of which game it stems from. Blizzard is a franchise. The game is "broken" and they seem to be aware of it for the most part. 95% of my friends have quit the game (between 75-100 people) and the rest seem to be on their way out. This is the result of poor design choices. The gaming industry, today, does not run on box sales. If Blizzard does NOT fix Diablo 3, they will suffer massive hits because of it. It is up to Blizzard to decide when that investment has been tapped. Apparently they do not feel this way, as many $ continue to be invested into improving the game.

The evidence is pretty clear. They aren't making attempts to improve the game to do anyone any favors. They want the game to be a success because they want BLIZZARD to be a success. I would do the exact same thing. Blizzard has never put out an all around, "bad" game, and they aren't about to let Diablo 3 go into history as the first failed project(even though some people would already say that has happened).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]