Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu (Part 2)

(Locked)

Okay first of all, my response in that thread included not a shred of, "why aren't you guys paying attention to me".

No, that's all it did:

Instead of doing that, why not use the IMMENSELY superior form of customization that I talk about in my "Salvation of Diablo 3" thread?

"My ideas are better."

Seriously Travis, for the sake of the future of this game I urge you to read my post and tell me that what you guys have cooking is better (where nephalem power and prime power systems are concerned). You didn't seem to understand the Nephalem Power system and I think you should check Part 2 of my thread so you can get the full gist.

"My ideas are better, please listen to meeeeeee"

Note I never said your ideas are bad. I like a lot (but not all) of what you said. But that doesn't give you the right to be such an egotistical attention-monger who thinks only his ideas are good. Not to mention, you got the friggin lead (I assume?) game designer to respond in your thread, and you're still pleading for them to read it.

Also:

As for the Ubers was my idea thing, I said that I made a number of posts that contained such an idea LONG before it came out. I basically said that there should be a system in which you acquire certain "keys or items" that, when collected allow you to open a portal to another area that contains very challenging enemies and bosses that had increased odds to give powerful rewards.

A. already existed EXACTLY that way in Diablo 2. Not "your" idea.
B. You're probably not the only one, in fact I guarantee, you're not the only one to suggest a similar system.

personal attacks are the sign of a weak argument, and ironically, you are far more narcissistic for assuming that we all share your opinion that a "blue post" should be the end-all for any idea and that travis day is death personified for any ideas posted on a forum that might help the game. simply put you dont agree with the philosophy but since you cannot dissect the argument you resort to trying to break down gosu by calling him an attention !@#$%. pathetic.

ps, getting a blue response is not an invitation to paradise. stop the man worship and realize that there are problems in this game and that the solutions offered by people in the forums are there to HELP THEM FIX IT. nowhere did I see gosu post anything saying "oh the current devs are horrendous, terrible, fire them all, hire me, make me godking of the diablo franchise". you obviously havent worked in any sort of professional team environment or you would understand that a diverse opinion from an outside source can offer amazing perspective that never would have crossed your mind.
personal attacks are the sign of a weak argument, and ironically, you are far more narcissistic for assuming that we all share your opinion that a "blue post" should be the end-all for any idea and that travis day is death personified for any ideas posted on a forum that might help the game. simply put you dont agree with the philosophy but since you cannot dissect the argument you resort to trying to break down gosu by calling him an attention !@#$%. pathetic.

ps, getting a blue response is not an invitation to paradise. stop the man worship and realize that there are problems in this game and that the solutions offered by people in the forums are there to HELP THEM FIX IT. nowhere did I see gosu post anything saying "oh the current devs are horrendous, terrible, fire them all, hire me, make me godking of the diablo franchise". you obviously havent worked in any sort of professional team environment or you would understand that a diverse opinion from an outside source can offer amazing perspective that never would have crossed your mind.

Thx for the support. I suppose I should just ignore comments like that in the future. Way too much time spent responding for no real reason. Best to stick to the topic at hand.
Hello Gosu.

As I didn´t have a chance to post in your first thread (posting cap reached...) I will do this now.

I have actually read your original posting. Yes, completely. It took me a whole evening but it was worth it. As stupid as this might sound to you: Your posting brought me back to D3. I had quit the game a month ago but I somehow got excited about the game again and couldn´t help but start playing again. Now this will sound stupid because obviously nothing had actually changed - but I got an idea of how awesome this game MIGHT become in the future. That was enough to light the fire again ;)

First of all: Your ideas are amazing. I almost agree with 100% you said. The things I don´t agree with are so minor that they´re not worth mentioning.

But then I read Travis´s response and I felt so SORRY for you, mate...
Although Travis seems to do a great job he absolutely missed your point. It somehow felt as if he didn´t even read it but only picked some aspects and made some very vage comments about them.

IF ONLY blizzard wouldn´t be so utterly stubborn with their "this is fun, this is not fun" attitude... if only they would STAY A WHILE AND LISTEN. Or read actually.

Your Nephalem-System would improve this game by .... yes...by what? 100%? 10000%? It wouldn´t only add some urgently needed depth to this game, it would make it the best Diablo ever.

How I would love to spend my points in the skills and abilities I actually USE. Or how I would love to use some skills that are useless or underpowered right now! I´d like to make my own builds and have something "special" rather than one of maybe 3 cookie-cutter-builds that everyone uses.

Just to show my protest I´m playing my mage with blizzard and hydra only ;) At 400k dps it actually doesn´t matter what skills you´re using to be honest - but this only shows how bad the system is. If your character is able to kill anything by simply looking at it, EVERYTHING becomes valid. If you´re a weak beginner, nothing seems to work - or only very few builds.

So something is definately badly broken and shows the conflict between skills and gear.

You have great gear? Nice, you can play anything.
You have bad gear? Check the AH for upgrades, then use a standard-build until you become better.

I like the idea to be able to spend my gold, my time and my points in figuring out what actually keeps me motivated, what is FUN and how I would like to play.

So...actually wanted to post and say thank you for your efforts. Hopefully it will pay out some day.
First things first...
You've pasted all your OP from part 1 to part 2. IMO this is redundant [even with new sections]

Second
I think you're contradict yourself. Firstly you write the unique affix on items should be staple of builds. Then you scorn on the hydra idea.
I think if there is a REAL CHOICE for a hydra using wiz between trifecta/Chantodoo/Two-Hydra orb because all are viable [but support different playstyles] then it is a good thing. Different options, but all should be good
Gosu ok idea is good but its not MEDIAN XL ;)
03/06/2013 02:51 PMPosted by Gosu
You obviously dislike A LOT of things about D3. Perhaps rather than wasting your time complaining, you should go try other games in the genre like TL2, POE, TQ, or MH - when it comes out later this year.

I like just as many things about the game as I dislike. I think it's a great game. I also think that it has the potential to be, literally, the best game ever made. The game needs a TON of work to reach that point, but I think it's possible.

I've played all of those games EXTENSIVELY. I'd say at least 200-300 hours per game.

03/06/2013 12:01 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
The vast majority of people WON'T read posts/threads like these anyway, so you've basically just wasted your time typing and formatting the OP.

You're right, it is hard to get people to read such an intimidating wall of text. Still though, apparently a lot of people read it, as the last thread hit 50 pages in just over 2 days. Maybe it was a waste of time, maybe it wasn't. I want the game to improve badly enough that I thought if there was any chance I could help it to then I would do whatever I could to increase those odds.

I've read most of what you have written to this point. I like a lot of what you have said, and noted what Blizz has attempted to respond. That said, I am having serious doubts as to the game that would be generated on the heels of this.

I quit about two months ago. Came back two days ago when I got sick, and had to stay in. Got better, and wiped the game off my system again. Bottom line: this game is not NEARLY cool enough in its current configuration, and the problems are systemic. Even IF they implement all of your changes related to itemization, and a LOT of your changes in regard to skills, it wouldn't change things. Only if they implement everything, complete changed 'endgame,' put in a lot new content, and then balanced it, would it have a chance.

I think that really is a different game. That can't possibly be a patch. Seriously, that is a completely new game. As this realization hits, I think some of your detractors have a point. This is wishful thinking, nothing more. D3 was a bad game, and its waste was its greatest defining element.
Section 4 is probly the most important part of this post, i love ur crafting ideas and they really need to implement some other form of gameplay, especially if they plan for ANYONE to play that game onconsole
It is very disheartening that a player - who is a customer as well - has so much better grasp of the inherent problems of the game and what should be done to address them, than the developer team themselves. I literally loled when I read in the dev blog that legendary and rare item drop rates and affixes should be tampered with again to make them..... interesting. Yes, that should fix the problem.

Blizzard should hire Gosu asap. Or let me rephrase that, I will only pay for an expansion or Diablo IV if Gosu or someone like Gosu is on the designer team.
Edited by Demuder#1199 on 3/7/2013 4:59 AM PST
Edited by IamLoco#2610 on 3/7/2013 5:40 AM PST
Your dedication impresses me, Gosu. Also i agree with pretty much everything you've said.
Really like your suggestions man! Nice to see how passionate you are about improving this game..
BTW how bad is the Battle Rage rune "Swords to Ploughshares", more health globes?!?! Seriously!??!!? Oh yeah, and how about the HOTA rune "Birthright"-Critical Hits have a 10% chance to cause enemies to drop treasure or health globes.. MORE health globes and wait for it...TREASURE!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What do you think the odds for this rune to drop a legendary??? hahaha UNREAL

KEEP up the GOOD work! :)
I couldnt read all this !!

But i bet you didnt say a word for the most vital thing ... LADDER or you did?

You can change 1000 things , it wont matter. As long as economy is not healthy everything will fall apart soon or later.

The trick is to make vital changes to not let that happen and AFTER than do all the other changes... Not the other way around...

Paragon levels / Legendary boosts/ Craft boost / Ubers / Monster level ---> all were good changes but did they make economy any better ?!! Maybe for a while but were they deep changes that saved the game ? NO!! Economy is worse than ever ?! Why is so bad then after all these "Successful patches? ""!!!!

LADDER >> everything at the moment. We like it or not its the truth
Edited by Azatis#2345 on 3/7/2013 6:10 AM PST
whats his face blue pretty much agreed with everything and said they are actively fixing things.

great news if you still have any faith left in this dev team :p
90 Human Rogue
Gosu, as a long time fan of the series and company, I wanted to say...

...This is the game I want to play.

Not Whack-a-Mole featuring the Black Auction House expansion. I was THAT guy in Diablo 2. You know, the one buying up all kinds of stupid items to try wacky builds that everyone was certain would never work, and they usually didn't, but I did pick some winners. Valkyrie Amazon with Fanaticism bow and Enigma; people rarely forget the shock of having a Valkyrie oneshot them.

I'm trying this game again after 9 months gone, because I'm hoping that in the sweeping changes they're doing, they'll somehow make that game I wanted to play. I don't know if it will ever happen, but... as a fan, I can't give up entirely. Not yet.

Great post, OP.

Edit: The following post is me derping and quoting myself instead of editing.
Edited by Invincible#1678 on 3/7/2013 7:22 AM PST
Hey, all good stuff and all, but stop calling it the "salvation of diablo", it's too bold of a statement for anyone to say, regardless of the contents of the ideas
First things first...
You've pasted all your OP from part 1 to part 2. IMO this is redundant [even with new sections]

Second
I think you're contradict yourself. Firstly you write the unique affix on items should be staple of builds. Then you scorn on the hydra idea.
I think if there is a REAL CHOICE for a hydra using wiz between trifecta/Chantodoo/Two-Hydra orb because all are viable [but support different playstyles] then it is a good thing. Different options, but all should be good

It's not a contradiction, check your premise.

I said that unique affixes on items should inspire NEW builds via increasing a skill's viability in ways that were not previously possible. The Wizard Hydra orb would not do this. It might make someone say, "do I want a perfectly rolled trifecta or this double hydra orb?", but that's really taking it to the extreme. That particular argument isn't as much about having to choose between pieces of gear as it is taking a good idea for a bonus and wasting it as a class affix.

Chances are, if you use hydra then you are going to have to get that orb. It literally doubles the power of the skill, no other single item can do that. So really, there isn't going to be a whole lot of "choosing' going on for most people who use the skill. So long as the Wizard orb doesn't have ONLY the Hydra affix on it, it's probably going to be a lot better for Hydra users than any other orb.

That is bad itemization. Please re-read my response to the dev blog again if you don't understand. I don't want to go into more detail to explain this further when I already did.
92 Troll Hunter
Gosu,

I was blown away by your post, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had Love for Diablo 3. I was tired of hearing all the "why isn't it diablo 2?" and "wow clone!" comments.

To finally have someone comprehensively and intelligently list out major issues in the game and ways to fix them instead of just complaining, warms my heart. I love the Diablo games and I hope that with some changes, the game can become what it was born to be. I hope the Dev team is listening, it seems like they've had some changes in the works already.

P.S. I'm excited for the expansion! I really enjoyed the overall game story and I'm hopeful for the direction the game might go in. (Lyndon and his brother in Kingsport anyone? How about helping Kormac out with his crazy order biz?) Maybe even killing Baal again with all his weird tentacles flapping around? Can't wait!
Gosu thanks again for your passion, Dev's should name a new legendary after you! :P

Forgive me if I missed where else you might of touched on this other then purchasing legendary crafting recipes but I believe Demonic Essences have so much more potential then even just crafting. I think a ton of great Account Bound features could be used by them. Imagine if some of the events you posted were unlocked with Demonic Essences. Or what if you turned in a fair number ( say 10 of them) it gave you a 30 minute random shrine buff or one of your choice, that doesn't disappear upon death. I'm literally sitting on hundreds of them now and have spent hundreds already on crafting. They could have so many more uses.
Edited by AXEINGAR#1114 on 3/12/2013 7:47 AM PDT
I very much enjoy the infinite monster power idea. A ladder and a more sociable environment would improve this game drastically.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]