Diablo® III

The Salvation of Diablo 3: A Guide by Gosu (Part 2)

(Locked)

I think you need to beat 1001 games.. maybe then you'll understand, that in Diablo... this is the end game... when you ROFLStomp the game in all it's forms, when you no longer have to play frogger in fire and other types of damage and generally just hand the game it's !@#... that is the goal.. that is the end game... and that is the carrot on the stick. Think Devil May Cry 1... after you unlock Super Dante Mode... the challenge became combo-ing things together that previously were unimaginable... this was the final play through for most players and a well earned bonus to the countless hours of caution, button pressing just the right moves, and earning your stripes.

Yes, and I absolutely agree with this philosophy in design. One of the most enjoyable aspects of many games is putting in the required effort that allows you to reach a state of power in which everything that came before and at least MOST of what will come is made easier in a sense or at least changed significantly. Having said that, this is actually a VERY complex topic that would require pages of explanation to fully understand.

What it boils down to is that a game cannot hope to be utterly void of challenge (of any kind) and expect to have meaningful staying power. You can't just be left without challenges of any kind once you pass a certain point. That is what D3 has become for me. In fact, D3 has been that for a VERY long time now. Even on higher MP levels I just find myself constantly falling sleep at the wheel or just completely zoning out all together. There's nothing to snap me out of my trance; nothing that provides even a brief break from the overwhelming monotony. No game should feel like that, regardless of how powerful your character is. Power can be demonstrated in many more ways than just how painfully dull the core gameplay has become in comparison to what it once was. FUN power is demonstrated by acquiring the means to take a challenge and make it as easy as possible, right? That doesn't mean that said power should completely eliminate EVERY SINGLE MEANINGFUL challenge in the game.

The examples I gave are ways to give even the most well-geared players a reason to not fall asleep while playing the game. It doesn't have to be the most difficult thing you've ever attempted or even anywhere near that, but it should at least lift your face off the keyboard. I am not looking for increased difficulty in the form of higher monster damage and HP. What I want is the kind of difficulty that takes hand-eye coordination and strategy to overcome. That is why I used the Belial fight as an example. There are TONS of other ways to introduce this kind of challenge and absolutely zero reasons to NOT do it.

The skill isn't bad... but it's not OP... Why is it not OP you ask? Because it takes SOOO long to cooldown and only lasts for a very short time.... an item that changed this subtle thing would certainly fix the skills main weakness and unbalance it... BUT...this would make it OP and awesome... I say you are wrong again sir.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say at all... From the sound of it, it seems that you didn't read my post. I never once said anything about the skill being OP... I said that a bad skill should not be fixed with an item. It should be fixed, period...THEN you can IMPROVE it with an item. You also don't seem to be aware of my stance on cooldowns. I'm not going to go into a long explanation because I've already said it all. To be blunt, you need to go back and read my post. I don't even know what it is that I'm wrong about. That entire paragraph seems to be in response to someone other than myself.

03/17/2013 08:14 PMPosted by TheOneRaven
I've said it before... remove crit damage.... allow it to be 100% for everyone on crit... and that is IT... unless... UNLESS... there is an affix on legendaries that can appear on more than one that allows for this... otherwise... get rid of this affix... keep crit and attack speed... they are fine, but this mechanic is what is ruining the weapons game...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with crit damage as a stat. Crit damage is abused because of the way the class balance and itemization function within the game. There are numerous stats that are abused just as much if not more so than crit damage. Crit damage is worthless without crit, crit is FAR less powerful without crit damage. Main stat is an absolutely requirement for every class and attack speed is ravenously sought after on every slot that it can appear on, at least to those that can afford it.

Again it seems that you may not have read my post. The problem isn't with the stats that exist, it's with the stats that DON'T exist. Everyone has a clear direction of progression and that direction is literally identical between every class and at least 99% of the builds that exist in this game. THAT is the OBVIOUS problem, not crit damage. Removing stats is only going to limit diversity, not improve it. Could it be balanced better? Probably, but should it be removed? Absolutely NOT.
A very well thought out and good post. I read most of the original post but I blacked out a few times going through it, so I apologize if this was addressed:

One of the glaring differences (and concerns) for me was that leveling in Diablo 2 had a far greater impact on your characters power than in Diablo 3. It was very possible to get item screwed in Diablo 2, however, if you leveled up 2-3 times during the hunt you could usually progress through the game because each level gave you inherent damage (through skills) and survivability (through stats) that would be on par with what a gear upgrade would.

My question is do you think that power scaling should move away from gear and more toward levels (and paragon levels) to even these two out more, have leveling scaled up across the board, or keep the current system as is with almost all character power being through item drops (for the sake of discussing the leveling mechanics lets assume that itemization was more in line with Diablo 2 itemization)? As some food for thought, a trash late game item in Diablo 3 can easily give you more stats than would be gained over 60 character levels. In Diablo 2, Breath of the Dying (arguably the most difficult item to obtain) gave the equivalent of 24 character levels.
Edited by IamDuddits#1344 on 3/20/2013 1:56 PM PDT
Holy crap, this post is long. I read the first section and agree with a lot of the points stated. Good job any way. It's like you're writing a report for some school work. It'll be nice to see what dev thinks about this.

A very well thought out and good post. I read most of the original post but I blacked out a few times going through it, so I apologize if this was addressed:

One of the glaring differences (and concerns) for me was that leveling in Diablo 2 had a far greater impact on your characters power than in Diablo 3. It was very possible to get item screwed in Diablo 2, however, if you leveled up 2-3 times during the hunt you could usually progress through the game because each level gave you inherent damage (through skills) and survivability (through stats) that would be on par with what a gear upgrade would.

My question is do you think that power scaling should move away from gear and more toward levels (and paragon levels) to even these two out more, have leveling scaled up across the board, or keep the current system as is with almost all character power being through item drops (for the sake of discussing the leveling mechanics lets assume that itemization was more in line with Diablo 2 itemization)? As some food for thought, a trash late game item in Diablo 3 can easily give you more stats than would be gained over 60 character levels. In Diablo 2, Breath of the Dying (arguably the most difficult item to obtain) gave the equivalent of 24 character levels.

I believe the game already focus a lot on item providing most of the power of the character, even in the design of the monster level etc. Changing that to a system closer to D2 and Breath of the Dying might just not be possible any more. Wouldn't it be too big a change? It sounds like that kind of change necessitates a server wipe.
Edited by immy#6924 on 3/21/2013 3:43 AM PDT
I agree Ask the devs doesn't work, but not because of the same reasons.

The main problem is that only questions from the 2 or 3 first pages get answered, because no one goes beyond that. But sometimes the smarter questions are in the "thick" of the thread, and they get no attention at all. I made a big effort and went on to page 16-17, but there's just too much to go through.

I much prefer the devs commenting important and popular threads ("Lifesteal on belts" is a great example of that, but there are many more). Exactly how Travis Day did with his in depth answer to the Salvation of D3 thread.
What the f*** happened to this post ? :P
bring in small charms or grand charm or large charms
Blizzard hire this guy asap
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
You don’t want to say to player, “if you use this skill, then your best and easiest form of increasing the power of that skill and all the builds it is included in is THIS item with THIS affix”. You want to say to players, “if you use this skill, then this item makes it better for this spec or this item makes it better in this situation”.

What a bunch of double talk, this guy needs to get over himself. I went from a ww barb to a throwing barb. I chose to use the The Three Hundredth Spear because it helps the throwing spell and the increased speed. I sacrificed some to use this weapon as my oh. So we have a weapon that helps the throwing barb build. I went a long time before I decided to try it, it is not mandatory to the build. I am just starting on this journey.

Meanwhile I notice he has used four set items on his barb, he stopped short of getting the 5 to take advantage of his resources. He made a dps, ignore resources build. This formula the dps formula max dps, cd,cd, ias. is applied to any class an pretty much strips out diversity from the game.

I sacrificed some dps, cd, cc ,ias because this allowed me to try a different approach from the dps formula max dps, cd,cd, ias. I want a throwing barb.

1-Hand
Legendary Spear
454.4–1095.1 Damage Per Second
(310–645)–(447–1180) Damage
1.20 Attacks per Second
+66–316 Minimum Damage
+88–411 Maximum Damage
+26–30% Damage
+112–129 Strength
+12% Movement Speed
Reduces damage from melee attacks by 3–4%.
Increases Weapon Throw Damage by 35–50% (Barbarian Only)
Increases Ancient Spear Damage by 35–50% (Barbarian Only)
+1 Random Magic Properties

So he goes the mundane dps formula an then spouts this double talk that barely makes sense. He needs to try an practice what he speaks , because he actually could.
So again
You don’t want to say to player, “if you use this skill, then your best and easiest form of increasing the power of that skill and all the builds it is included in is THIS item with THIS affix”. You want to say to players, “if you use this skill, then this item makes it better for this spec or this item makes it better in this situation”.
which applies to my situation.

I went back and reread the op, it is simply a wall of gimmies. Much is not even realistic, like the purchase endgame stuff.
Edited by DeadRu#1893 on 3/21/2013 9:41 AM PDT
03/21/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Elderone

What a bunch of double talk, this guy needs to get over himself. I went from a ww barb to a throwing barb. I chose to use the The Three Hundredth Spear because it helps the throwing spell and the increased speed. I sacrificed some to use this weapon as my oh. So we have a weapon that helps the throwing barb build. I went a long time before I decided to try it, it is not mandatory to the build. I am just starting on this journey.

Meanwhile I notice he has used four set items on his barb, he stopped short of getting the 5 to take advantage of his resources. He made a dps, ignore resources build. This formula the dps formula max dps, cd,cd, ias. is applied to any class an pretty much strips out diversity from the game.

I sacrificed some dps, cd, cc ,ias because this allowed me to try a different approach from the dps formula max dps, cd,cd, ias. I want a throwing barb.

1-Hand
Legendary Spear
1.20 Attacks per Second
+66–316 Minimum Damage
+88–411 Maximum Damage
+26–30% Damage
+112–129 Strength
+12% Movement Speed

So he goes the mundane dps formula an then spouts this double talk that barely makes sense. He needs to try an practice what he speaks , because he actually could.
So again

I went back and reread the op, it is simply a wall of gimmies. Much is not even realistic, like the purchase endgame stuff.

You do an excellent job of making a straw man argument.

The point he, and many others, are trying to make is that 99% of the time a barbarian is going to be looking for Primary Stat, Armor, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, and all resists on an item regardless of build.

Generally speaking, in Diablo 3 if you go a non-optimal build you gimp yourself. The only time you can do crazy, impractical builds is when you out gear the content so much that it doesn't matter. For all I know the reason why your example worked for you is because you gear facilitated the ability to step outside of the min/max formula.

03/21/2013 03:38 AMPosted by immy
I believe the game already focus a lot on item providing most of the power of the character, even in the design of the monster level etc. Changing that to a system closer to D2 and Breath of the Dying might just not be possible any more. Wouldn't it be too big a change? It sounds like that kind of change necessitates a server wipe.

It'd be a change better suited for an expansion, but I think it's a necessary change. It's real bad design to have leveling be so meaningless. In all honesty, once you've leveled through 30 most of the levels mean nothing after that due to useless runes.
03/21/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Elderone

1-Hand
Legendary Spear
1.20 Attacks per Second
+66–316 Minimum Damage
+88–411 Maximum Damage
+26–30% Damage
+112–129 Strength
+12% Movement Speed

So again

I usually don't respond to posts that demonstrate an enormous lack of understanding of the game and it's mechanics so I'll make this short. For your information, I have messed around with 5p set bonus in a number of builds with a number of supplemental items including both 2h and 1h build variations. I have also done the weapon throw build and experimented with it at great length.

Three hundreth spear is a decent example of an affix that doesn't really belong on a single item, though not for the reasons that most would think. Weapon throw is just not a strong enough ability to allow the objective comparison between that example and the one that I gave at the beginning of my OP. Anyone who is using weapon throw for more than 10-15% of their "kill time" is absolutely crippling their potential efficiency. It's not that weapon throw is a "bad" skill, it's just that it isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant using over sprint/ww in the majority of scenarios, even with a fantastic three hundreth spear.

The three hundreth spear takes a subpar skill and makes said skill and EVERY SINGLE BUILD it is associated with that much better. You say it isn't mandatory? Then tell me, what item or set of items could possibly match the increased efficiency to weapon throw and all builds that use it, that the Three Hundreth Spear can offer? There CLEARLY isn't a better alternative within an enormous price range. Obviously a weapon that is capable of achieving offensive benefits far beyond what the Three Hundreth Spear is capable of will be the winner, but that's for an ENTIRELY different reason. All it's doing is creating a mandatory "choice" for those with lesser funding while creating an arbitrary choice for those who can afford anything.

Three Hundreth Spear is not capable of matching the potential power of an incredibly well-rolled rare, and since Weapon Throw should NOT account for the majority of your attacks if you don't want to cripple your efficiency, then it makes sense to say that choosing the weapon that supports ALL of your attacks instead of just one would be the obviously correct choice. So at a certain price point the argument I made in my OP is identical to this one. Once you enter the realm of wealth though, the issue becomes one that enters the larger issue of itemization illustrated in the rest of my OP. That is, there is a standardization of gear goals. No one with 50 billion gold and any amount of intelligence is going to get a three hundreth spear over a 1300 DPS rare 1h with 95% crit dmg, 250 str and an empty socket.

It's also worth noting that the fact that this affix appears on a WEAPON slot makes it that much easier to shrug off as a waste for the rich and mandatory for the not-so-rich(at least the ones who want to use weapon throw badly enough...)
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 3/21/2013 3:56 PM PDT
Just to elaborate on my previous post, devaluing character level as much as Diablo 3 does seems like a major design flaw in a game that is suppose to be of the RPG genre. I'm not sure if anyone, including the OP, feels similar, but it seems like a flaw that needs to be remedied.
03/22/2013 07:52 AMPosted by IamDuddits
Just to elaborate on my previous post, devaluing character level as much as Diablo 3 does seems like a major design flaw in a game that is suppose to be of the RPG genre. I'm not sure if anyone, including the OP, feels similar, but it seems like a flaw that needs to be remedied.

I don't really believe that designating a game as an RPG must force certain, specific game elements into the designing of said game. I think that the option between granting character power through leveling as opposed to gear is an arbitrary one for the most part. Either way, power is achieved through the same means: that is, time spent playing the game.

As it stands now, leveling up a character in Diablo 3 is far too fast to focus any meaningful man power into making significant alterations to the power gain aspect of the game. If further power was introduced through the standard level system, all it would do is result in an increase in base player power for no particular, meaningful reason. I don't really think that it would improve the game much if at all. Having said that, if it took longer to level up then I absolutely think it would be fair to incorporate further power benefits along the way, even if they were only minimal gains.

I absolutely think that Paragon levels should offer further power potential and perhaps even customization. I also think that Blizzard is working on ways to accomplish this right now(it has been said recently). I get it, player levels is guaranteed power while items revolve around randomization and RNG which means that 2 given players who spent the same amount of time playing can differ significantly in power. The same can be said about leveling as some people are just faster at it than others or perhaps they made better choices along the way, but that's just not the same thing and it isn't an apples to oranges comparison.

Either way, character power is only applied to such an extent in many RPG's because the games do not support proper, alternative methods to granting players extensive amounts of power. Power comes with time spent playing, so it is natural to grant much of that power in the form of leveling up. With a game like Diablo, I feel that it makes more sense to grant the vast majority of power in the form of items due to the fact that the item hunt goes on forever, while the journey from lvl 1 to Paragon level 100 can only last for so long. So yes, I do feel that more power could be granted in the form of levels(mostly Paragon). But I also am a firm believer of items holding the vast majority of power potential for players.

Levels can never differentiate player identity as much as a strong itemization system can, at least not without forcing players into permanent build choices, which I feel would be severely detrimental to Diablo 3.
Edited by Gosu#1173 on 3/22/2013 7:36 PM PDT
Jesus Christ, could we take this post and make it into a game!

I don't really believe that designating a game as an RPG must force certain, specific game elements into the designing of said game. I think that the option between granting character power through leveling as opposed to gear is an arbitrary one for the most part. Either way, power is achieved through the same means: that is, time spent playing the game.

As it stands now, leveling up a character in Diablo 3 is far too fast to focus any meaningful man power into making significant alterations to the power gain aspect of the game. If further power was introduced through the standard level system, all it would do is result in an increase in base player power for no particular, meaningful reason. I don't really think that it would improve the game much if at all. Having said that, if it took longer to level up then I absolutely think it would be fair to incorporate further power benefits along the way, even if they were only minimal gains.

I absolutely think that Paragon levels should offer further power potential and perhaps even customization. I also think that Blizzard is working on ways to accomplish this right now(it has been said recently). I get it, player levels is guaranteed power while items revolve around randomization and RNG which means that 2 given players who spent the same amount of time playing can differ significantly in power. The same can be said about leveling as some people are just faster at it than others or perhaps they made better choices along the way, but that's just not the same thing and it isn't an apples to oranges comparison.

Either way, character power is only applied to such an extent in many RPG's because the games do not support proper, alternative methods to granting players extensive amounts of power. Power comes with time spent playing, so it is natural to grant much of that power in the form of leveling up. With a game like Diablo, I feel that it makes more sense to grant the vast majority of power in the form of items due to the fact that the item hunt goes on forever, while the journey from lvl 1 to Paragon level 100 can only last for so long. So yes, I do feel that more power could be granted in the form of levels(mostly Paragon). But I also am a firm believer of items holding the vast majority of power potential for players.

Levels can never differentiate player identity as much as a strong itemization system can, at least not without forcing players into permanent build choices, which I feel would be severely detrimental to Diablo 3.

There is no arguing that the game horribly lacks in the itemization department, which you have thoroughly covered. And my reference to the RPG genre could've been better explained.

I'm aware that Diablo is not an RPG in the way that NWN/Baldur's Gate (any Pen & Paper based CRPG) are. With that being said even in Diablo 2 patience, levels, and an intelligent build could allow players to beat the game on Hell naked:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/naked-ironman-hardcore-uber-tristram/

I'm aware that items in Diablo 2 could increase your power greatly, but a naked character was still quite powerful. This isn't the case in Diablo 3 where a nude character wouldn't be able to do anything, mostly due to weapon damage scaling of all abilities. I'd like to state that my point here isn't to complain that naked runs aren't possible, but rather to elaborate the complete 180 that Diablo 3 has taken in terms of how meaningful levels mean to character power.

I do agree that the rate that we go from 1-60 means that it'd be difficult to make levels incredibly powerful, and I figured that's why they made them so weak. However, their addition of Paragon levels now has made me rethink this. It seems like an attempt to inject the 85-99 experience that Diablo 2 had (not that I'm implying 5000 Baal runs to 99 was necessarily a pleasant or memorable experience).

To be frank, I don't think the issues with level power would be so noticeable if ability damage weren't linearly dependent on the damage of your weapon. Once again, I may have missed this detail in your post, but Ability Damage= X% Weapon damage is just a very limiting system for both the player and the designer. A design like this runs into the same problem that Diablo 2 had with abilities like Fire bolt and Fireball. You don't need to be a math major to figure out the better skill between those two, which is why they added synergies to make investing skill points in those lower skills an attractive option.

There are better ways of doing this type of skill scheme/progression, but before I get into that I guess I should ask if you think there is an inherent problem with the weapon DPS = Ability damage design.

Also, do you think giving skill points on level up similar to the Neph Points item modifier you suggested would be a valid option? It'd add some options to have abilities that scale better with skill points than with weapon damage and others that scale better with weapon damage than with skill points. It'd also give better scaling to the non-damaging abilities that are really left lackluster due to the current design.

Thanks for the response.

Edit: Another point I'd like to make is that the current system really offers no replay value. If all the power and customization comes from RNG item drops and not from meaningful (and often permanent) level choices then why would any one ever level up more than one Demon Hunter, for example. Any input on this?
Edited by IamDuddits#1344 on 3/24/2013 12:35 AM PDT
Wanted to post my agreement about the social interactions. I don't feel like I am playing a social game, even when I am grouping with friends I feel as though it is purely a free-for-all. The lack of guild/social connection beyond the friends list is saddening and I wish something would be done about it. Even if all other aspects were the same, giving us a way of better communicating with others would make the game feel more like a multiplayer game, but that is just my silly opinion.

(I did love the posts as a whole, thankfully I can read fast so it did not take too long to read.)
Wanted to post my agreement about the social interactions. I don't feel like I am playing a social game, even when I am grouping with friends I feel as though it is purely a free-for-all. The lack of guild/social connection beyond the friends list is saddening and I wish something would be done about it. Even if all other aspects were the same, giving us a way of better communicating with others would make the game feel more like a multiplayer game, but that is just my silly opinion.

(I did love the posts as a whole, thankfully I can read fast so it did not take too long to read.)

There are so many features of this game that make it feel like it's still in beta:

-Elementary game mechanics
-Zero character customization outside of gear
-Complete lack of social features (I feel like the "multiplayer" aspect tells me to socialize, but impersonal game join tells me otherwise).
-Itemization as a whole
-Elite mob affixes (many of them feel like they had a brainstorm for affixes, and just used all of them. I'd be willing to believe that if "Unicorn Stampede" was suggested as an affix it would've made it into the game)

I want this game to succeed, but every time I compare the design features and developmental direction of PoE (a crowd funded game with a developmental team of ~20) and D3 (a lot more funding and a lot more than 20 people) I find it harder to believe that things will improve.
View profile
^

Sometimes it is hard to figure out how Blizzard (makers of many quality games with deep features) made this game.

Sure . .there is quality in the graphics, in the cut scenes, but so much of it feels untested .. features that are common in a lot of newer games are just missing from this game .. it just feels so shallow, which is shocking since they have D1, D2, Titan Quest, Torchlight and hordes of other ARPGs over the past years to improve UPON ..

Instead they took steps backwards.

It feels like a game that should have come out in 2005-2006 ..
^

Sometimes it is hard to figure out how Blizzard (makers of many quality games with deep features) made this game.

Sure . .there is quality in the graphics, in the cut scenes, but so much of it feels untested .. features that are common in a lot of newer games are just missing from this game .. it just feels so shallow, which is shocking since they have D1, D2, Titan Quest, Torchlight and hordes of other ARPGs over the past years to improve UPON ..

Instead they took steps backwards.

It feels like a game that should have come out in 2005-2006 ..

The thing is that it's unclear to me if some of the features the game needs can even be implemented without an expansion or a server reset (and due to the RMAH this option is basically out of the question).

It'd just be nice to know what suggestions are even realistic at this point because from my standpoint manipulating the itemization and damage coefficients on abilities is really all they can do, which to be frank is the tip of the ice berg.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]