Diablo® III

Why don't more people use Steady Aim?

View profile
Especially in the higher MP's. It's really not that difficult to keep a 10 yard distance. Seems most people just want to face tank. I stopped using Echoing Blast for farming (I'll only ever use it on ubers now). Mostly because the AOE is too poor for targets that have varied movement patterns like so many of the monsters in this game. Steady Aim gives a 20% buff, that is a lot of power and I think more people should take advantage of it. My current build takes advantage of the power it provides. When you don't facetank, you'll notice you require a lot less defense to actually survive higher monster powers. Still can't farm as fast as a WW barb though, especially since I had to give up Tactical Advantage.
Edited by BurningJC007#1355 on 3/4/2013 12:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I use it with my Sever build. But really though, if you want AoE try Chakram Razor Disk, it's really nice to work with. Unless you really need the LS from NT. Just wish NT was a wider path or something.
Reply Quote
Most will run ARCH as that gives +DMG/+CC/+CD depending on weapon.

Most without Leg Nats run NightStalker for disc Regen help.

Most will use 3rd slot (depending on your dps and what MP you are running) to run vengeance or perfectionist.

SA isn't bad ..... it is just people feel they want more of something else. And Yes.. many now (especially 1h xbow users such as danetta/calamity) want to face-tank in perma-gloom rather than chasing down epacks keeping too ranged with kiting as this can typically slow down your effectiveness at the higher MPs.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/04/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Radelon
I use it with my Sever build. But really though, if you want AoE try Chakram Razor Disk, it's really nice to work with. Unless you really need the LS from NT. Just wish NT was a wider path or something.

Well I'm stacking increased damage with Elemental Arrow, Chakram can't match the damage output I currently get from NT and NT also helps me rely on Gloom less and so conserves discipline so I could drop preparation. Chakram is nice if you build for it though.
Reply Quote
View profile

SA isn't bad ..... it is just people feel they want more of something else. And Yes.. many now (especially 1h xbow users such as danetta/calamity) want to face-tank in perma-gloom rather than chasing down epacks keeping too ranged with kiting as this can typically slow down your effectiveness at the higher MPs.

Actually it really doesn't if you build for it, I'm killing stuff much faster than I ever did with facetanking. SA boosts Sentry damage (Mine hit for roughly 100k per hit) and if you can stutter step even half decently, you'll be matching your EDPS with facetanking. Spike traps for me is only really good against enemies that don't move around a lot like Ubers. And when you stutter step, you rely on Gloom a lot less and don't have to gear as defensively. I also find it's more enjoyable playing the demon hunter this way than facetanking like a Melee class, although tanks will argue disagree with this ;)
Reply Quote
For high MP runs, and if there's a CM Wiz in the group, I'll turn on Steady Aim. I like to run it with MFD -> Grim Reaper and Bola -> Imminent Doom. Keep the minimum distance for activation, and mobs & elites get cleared quickly even on MP10.
Reply Quote

Actually it really doesn't if you build for it, I'm killing stuff much faster than I ever did with facetanking. SA boosts Sentry damage (Mine hit for roughly 100k per hit) and if you can stutter step even half decently, you'll be matching your EDPS with facetanking. Spike traps for me is only really good against enemies that don't move around a lot like Ubers. And when you stutter step, you rely on Gloom a lot less and don't have to gear as defensively. I also find it's more enjoyable playing the demon hunter this way than facetanking like a Melee class, although tanks will argue disagree with this ;)

well.. again it does depend on how you want to play. for higher MPs I prefer Spiked:echoing together with MFD:GRIM and I get great AOE and a lot more damage per hit over sentry.

It isn't bad to use SA.... as I said before but most to prefer other passives than SA overall. if SA was constant damage (like other class buffs can have) then I'd be more in favor of it myself.
Reply Quote
While I certainly think Steady Aim is good and compelling in your case (I always use Steady Aim if using Spitfire Sentries), not all skills lend to using Steady Aim. I prefer losing -5% damage with Cull the Weak since I am actually using Chain of Torment for my sentries. Due to the length of the chain, it leaves very little room for comfort. I would love to have the straight 20% damage to my chains, but I am content to always have 15% damage with them using a cold SOJ and Cull the Weak. I refuse to allow a single mistake to drop my damage by 20%.
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 12:50 PMPosted by BurningJC007

agree 100%
Reply Quote
face tanking (we all do it so some degree) but generally speaking is lazy :P
Reply Quote
I use it all the time at mp10 uber :D
Reply Quote
for solo play?
echos + bola still work great in teams and you can use steady aim instead of perfectionist
Reply Quote
View profile
for solo play?
echos + bola still work great in teams and you can use steady aim instead of perfectionist

Yeah for solo play.
Reply Quote
I would happy If Bliz change Steady Aim to be DH native skill, otherwise I will be never using it.
Reply Quote
face tanking doing 1.5mil dmg on traps to elites? stop this? no thank you.
Reply Quote
When solo, I use tact adv and night stalker, when in group play, I use archery and SA.
Reply Quote
I've been doing some solo mp5 runs using SA and linking it a lot better than face tanking. The scoundrel with a windforce really helps maintain the distance too. I also like using nether tenticles over ball lightning as it really helps with survivability, I can run with my dps gear rather than my ehp gear and still survive.
Reply Quote
steady aim = fake dps, almost as bad as sharpshooter.
next time u solo, say mp5, just pay attention, majority of time, there will be something at ur face. so ur not getting any bonus. u can try kite as much as u can to get the bonus, but when u kite, u lose ur edps. thats y SA is trash. only thing that can be helpful is archery, and that passive actually gives u the dps that arent fake
Reply Quote
It's all about what you give up or gain with SA.

Considering you have 3 slots for passives, it's about what could be in that space vs the value you're getting out of steady aim.

Could Vengeance be giving you more hatred and disc, therefore more damage through that way?

Could archery be giving you more consistent damage regardless of mobs teleporting on top of you?

Could perfectionist be giving you cheaper disc abilities and more survivability?

Could tactical advantage provide more mobility and faster runs through that?

You get the point. It's more about opportunity cost for me. Sometimes steady aim wins, but that's generally when i play with a good freeze mage.
Reply Quote
View profile
steady aim = fake dps, almost as bad as sharpshooter.
next time u solo, say mp5, just pay attention, majority of time, there will be something at ur face. so ur not getting any bonus. u can try kite as much as u can to get the bonus, but when u kite, u lose ur edps. thats y SA is trash. only thing that can be helpful is archery, and that passive actually gives u the dps that arent fake

If you stutter step well, you maintain the dps. I have tested runs with steady aim with in profile inventory open most of the time to see how well I can maintain Steady Aim and it was up a lot more than it wasn't. The dps is not fake 20% is 20% if you can maintain 10 yards.
Edited by BurningJC007#1355 on 3/5/2013 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]