Diablo® III

Chronicles of the Barb

Hi fellow barbs

Is anyone keeping track of the evolution of the D3 barb from the beginning? I must say I played the barb early on and then gave it up at the start of A2, so I missed the emergence of the WW barb (not that I like the build but it's integral to the history of the class(.

When and how did the WW (later DT) barb appear? Who came up with the build? Subsequent builds like HOTA, SS, FC?

What were the milestones? the elite players (besides Alkaiser)? the theory crafters? the PVP barbs?

I think the barb has a colourful history and we should chronicle it. Perhaps you guys can suggest dates, events, turning points, gray areas...
Reply Quote
Some would say Dino was the one who started the ww build. But as it seems, some people found it out theorycrafting on redit. Dina was there and was the first to post in other forums and YT about it.

HoTA build is a variation of the Devil's Anvil build that was nerfed into oblivion, effectivelly killing it. Devil's Anvil first showed up on asian servers. the current rend/HoTA build emerged once these skills were buffed in patch 1.05 I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong. These are my two cents of contribution here.
Reply Quote
^^ thanks!

Can we have more input from the barbs from way back and all the way through to the present?
Reply Quote
I though the ww build was made by someone who tinkered with ww and sprint against Izual?

The now obsolete pure tanking build with Revenge/leap/charge used to be somewhat common. Back before all the nerf's you either spent a fortune on a ww build or played a cheap S@B build that had low dps but really high health, resistance, and armor. I had around 120k health, 1k+ resistance and about 800 life regeneration. The build was posted by Kainsel and some other players. It used to be a heated argument against a pure rare/resist build vs. Stormshield/block "cookie cutter" build.

Here is Keinsel's post, I keep on my favorites for good times sake:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5575477138?page=1
Reply Quote
Quite a few people used to run the bulldozer build before and after it was nerfed, I remember relying on it and 2hers for a long while. Only one of those things has changed since then lol.
The tornado crits from sprint used to reset the CD on charge giving you infinite charges on any amount of enemies, now you can only get constant charge on 5+ enemies but the build still works well in some situations.
Reply Quote
^Reminds me of the charge bug, where you could give all of your attacks a ridiculous amount of lifesteal, or permastun every mob in the game.
Reply Quote
View profile
D2- infinite ww
D3- infinite ww
Reply Quote
View profile
D2- infinite ww
D3- infinite ww
Reply Quote
Well I have been playing D3 since day 1 and even before as part of the beta test. So I have been playing D3 for over a year! Barb was one of my favorites in beta, but I started with Wizard upon release, then made a DH after I found out how bad teleport was.

Then I returned to Barb. I missed the 'early' days of inferno. I think I made it to inferno on Barb back when ilvl 63 only dropped in Act3/4. Shortly after, they patched to allow ilvl 63's drop in all Acts, which made things considerably easier.

The Dark Times

The most popular skill pre 1.0.3 was Revenge:Provocation. It was considered mandatory. I did not get to play this much, as I did not clear inferno at this point. Monsters did a lot of damage in Inferno, and getting killed in 3 shots in Act 3 was pretty typical, even with very high defenses. You would mash the revenge key while using Frenzy:Sidearm to kill stuff. If your revenge button did not light up in time, you died!

2H Wrath/quake was the most 'interesting' build and relied on killing elites in one massive burst before you died yourself. All builds relied on WotB:Insanity, Revenge, and rotating defensive cooldowns to try to burst down elites.

The Sprint Era

In this era, WW build was in it's infancy. There were some people experimenting with Sprint, but no one had figured out how to combine it with WW properly. People were figuring out it did the most damage of any fury spender. Most tactics involved something similar to Blizzard/Hydra kiting, except using tornadoes.

2H was still going strong, and some very highly geared 2H barbs were able to farm A3 with some competence. Many SnB barbs were quitting after beating the game out of frustration.

Dawn of WW

Gear had improved enough that WW/Sprint became viable with ~2K LoH in Act 3+. Enough 1H weapons were in circulation that you could create a dual wield set. Sprint had a ridiculous proc coefficient which made LoH incredibly good and perma-wrath was easy mode with 0 ias and 40% cc. 2H weapons were awful compared to dual wield setups, so only a select few persisted with this playstyle.

WW build was Warcry, OP:CA, WW, Sprint, WotB:ToC, Battle Rage:ITF.

Some ran bash instead of OP:CA or Warcry.

Most people were hitting the Ghom wall at this time. It was discovered you could use Overpower:Crushing Advance. The reflected damage proc'd life on hit, making you invincible with ~ 1K LoH. Elites still enraged at this time, but with LoH and WW build, you could power through it.

Another prominent build was 'bulldozer.' For a while, merciless charge would reset based on hits registered with tornadoes, so you could spam this instead of WW with good results.

There were naysayers then as there are now -- "ballerina barbs" were lame...

Age of Experiments

Nerfs to OP:CA proc, and Charge proc off tornadoes, coupled with buffs to all fury spenders (except Sprint) ushered in a new age.

Patch revamped all Barb fury spenders to be roughly equal damage with sprint tornadoes. There were a lot of different builds for a while. The most interesting was the Devil's Anvil HotA build. The proc coefficient was incredibly high on the slowing tremors, so LoH gains were absolutely nuts. You could tank ridiculous damage. The healing was similar to Overpower + LoH, so it was a way to kill any nasty elite combo easily.

At some point, bulldozer was nerfed, so that build died. HotA:Devil's Anvil proc rate was also nerfed, killing that build.

Age of Alkazier

All the experiments have concluded and there is just one effective build: WW. Paragon leveling is what most people are doing now. All fury spenders have been tried, and Rend, Sprint, WW, are determined to be the best. If you don't cram as many of these into your build as possible, along with WotB:ToC and Battle Rage:ITF you are a noob! Devil's anvil showed promise, but it was nerfed to the ground.

WW is king in the MP0 landscape. All other skills do too much damage to be effective. Many are finding they do too much damage to farm effectively and nerf their damage on purpose. Seismic slam and throw barbs are also on the scene in some numbers, but anything works in MP0 with good gear.

Age of WW, HotA and WW hybrids

Bonus CC to HotA based on fury total finally made this skill appealing. So now we have two builds! This is the current age. Sprint proc coefficient is nerfed substantially to kill LoH for WW. It doesn't kill the build though! More gear and nerfs to defensive skills makes more offensive builds possible, so hybrids are born.
Reply Quote
Yup I remember the rage timers on the elites and bosses. I hit a wall with Zulton Kule for a while until I got my dps to 22k to kill him before he teleported me to death. I got stuck with Belial since I could not kill him before the enrage timer kicked in and he spammed his explosion ability. That was when the game was the hardest, you had to have a lot of survival/tanking ability to take the hits while at the same time dish out enough dps to beat the clock. Was still during the time that legendaries were wall mounts and the gear was not circulating on the market like it is now.
Reply Quote
View profile
Nice summary Jim!

Only thing I see, WW/RLTW was around before 1.03, I think I first saw it mid-late May (1.02) The first build I tried of it was without a fury gen, and I got sooooo many DC's, I just couldn't deal with it. Get too close to a wall, DC, too low of fury, DC :)

I'm not sure if you were saying it appeared in 1.03 or not, your order kinda lead me to think you were.

Hers a vid of dino playing around with WW pre 1.03:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUwu46qrJM

Slow motion compared to todays version :)
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 3/6/2013 8:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
back in those early days some brave barbs cleared inferno with 2hander wotb/earthquake or wotb builds...was tough going and you either killed the elites or had to wait on your cooldowns again. when most were sword and board the 2hand kids were going just high hp and big slow weapon. players like Pharmosh and Rowland come to mind.
Reply Quote
thanks guys.

one basic question: how did WW become viable, or was it discovered by players? was there a patch that made BR generate fury (I don't think so but I may be wrong)?
Reply Quote
Jim, splendid account. can you link the phases to the patches, i.e. if the patches enabled the builds?

I remember that OP was nerfed at an early stage.

Also Rend was buffed in one of the early stages, and also gained its current animation.

there was also a brief time when SS and HOTA were competing builds, before HOTA won out, possibly due to the crits.

Unfortunately I don't have the patches at hand.

The Dark Times

The most popular skill pre 1.0.3 was Revenge:Provocation. It was considered mandatory. I did not get to play this much, as I did not clear inferno at this point. Monsters did a lot of damage in Inferno, and getting killed in 3 shots in Act 3 was pretty typical, even with very high defenses. You would mash the revenge key while using Frenzy:Sidearm to kill stuff. If your revenge button did not light up in time, you died!

2H Wrath/quake was the most 'interesting' build and relied on killing elites in one massive burst before you died yourself. All builds relied on WotB:Insanity, Revenge, and rotating defensive cooldowns to try to burst down elites.

The Sprint Era

In this era, WW build was in it's infancy. There were some people experimenting with Sprint, but no one had figured out how to combine it with WW properly. People were figuring out it did the most damage of any fury spender. Most tactics involved something similar to Blizzard/Hydra kiting, except using tornadoes.

2H was still going strong, and some very highly geared 2H barbs were able to farm A3 with some competence. Many SnB barbs were quitting after beating the game out of frustration.

Dawn of WW

Gear had improved enough that WW/Sprint became viable with ~2K LoH in Act 3+. Enough 1H weapons were in circulation that you could create a dual wield set. Sprint had a ridiculous proc coefficient which made LoH incredibly good and perma-wrath was easy mode with 0 ias and 40% cc. 2H weapons were awful compared to dual wield setups, so only a select few persisted with this playstyle.

WW build was Warcry, OP:CA, WW, Sprint, WotB:ToC, Battle Rage:ITF.

Some ran bash instead of OP:CA or Warcry.

Most people were hitting the Ghom wall at this time. It was discovered you could use Overpower:Crushing Advance. The reflected damage proc'd life on hit, making you invincible with ~ 1K LoH. Elites still enraged at this time, but with LoH and WW build, you could power through it.

Another prominent build was 'bulldozer.' For a while, merciless charge would reset based on hits registered with tornadoes, so you could spam this instead of WW with good results.

There were naysayers then as there are now -- "ballerina barbs" were lame...

Age of Experiments

Nerfs to OP:CA proc, and Charge proc off tornadoes, coupled with buffs to all fury spenders (except Sprint) ushered in a new age.

Patch revamped all Barb fury spenders to be roughly equal damage with sprint tornadoes. There were a lot of different builds for a while. The most interesting was the Devil's Anvil HotA build. The proc coefficient was incredibly high on the slowing tremors, so LoH gains were absolutely nuts. You could tank ridiculous damage. The healing was similar to Overpower + LoH, so it was a way to kill any nasty elite combo easily.

At some point, bulldozer was nerfed, so that build died. HotA:Devil's Anvil proc rate was also nerfed, killing that build.

Age of Alkazier

All the experiments have concluded and there is just one effective build: WW. Paragon leveling is what most people are doing now. All fury spenders have been tried, and Rend, Sprint, WW, are determined to be the best. If you don't cram as many of these into your build as possible, along with WotB:ToC and Battle Rage:ITF you are a noob! Devil's anvil showed promise, but it was nerfed to the ground.

WW is king in the MP0 landscape. All other skills do too much damage to be effective. Many are finding they do too much damage to farm effectively and nerf their damage on purpose. Seismic slam and throw barbs are also on the scene in some numbers, but anything works in MP0 with good gear.

Age of WW, HotA and WW hybrids

Bonus CC to HotA based on fury total finally made this skill appealing. So now we have two builds! This is the current age. Sprint proc coefficient is nerfed substantially to kill LoH for WW. It doesn't kill the build though! More gear and nerfs to defensive skills makes more offensive builds possible, so hybrids are born.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 3/7/2013 5:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
Also WW evolved didn't it? Early builds used the lifesteal rune before Hurricance became the predominant one.
Reply Quote
bump for questions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]