Diablo® III

Vile Ward vs Crafted Shoulder

Can a Crafted shoulder surpress Vile Ward?

Just find it a bit expensive to get 2xx Dex Vile Ward...
Reply Quote
In term of edps, 90% yes with the crafted shoulder
In term of ehp, 90% unlikely as VW packed a lot of defensive stats. To roll a rare with 600armor/70+AR/life regen is not easy.
Reply Quote
Depends on your wallet and how picky you are with affixes. By looking at your monk, I guess it depends on if you can live without the double res, vit AND armor rolls. Getting all that on a crafted one can take a long time.
Reply Quote
nice lighting wards
Reply Quote
Crafted Shoulders roll life % in addition to better dex/vit. Yeah, it's not hard to match good Vile Wards and possibly blow them out of the water.
Reply Quote
The price has come down a lot on VWs...especially the mid-high end ones (190-250ish dex). Mine isn't top notch but it was ~10M recently and is pretty solid. I wish the vit roll was higher. My old Vw had more vit and more lightning but only 199 dex. I think I sold that for 2M...bought it for quite a big more but that's where the market is.

I tried the crafting route but after millions spent unfortunately I have zero upgrades.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 3/6/2013 6:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Crafted Shoulders can definitely be better than Vile Ward:

Guaranteed 200-230 dex
1. 100 dex/100 vit
2. 100 vit
3. 80 AR
4. Armor
5. Life %

So you're looking at 300-300 dex, 200 vit, 80 AR, +Armor, and Life%.
Reply Quote
I have rolled 300 shoulders and counting, came pretty close a couple of times as far as dex / more vit / choice of random resist and All Resist, but never came with life regen and Armor, just one or the other..

My Vile Wards are pretty good, well I think they are and that's all that matters.

It's giving me something to work towards (thumbs up)
Reply Quote
Check mine out. They are pretty close to vile wards without the armor. I like the double res, and it fit perfectly with me being a physcial res monk. Wish it rolled more vit but can't complain, I think I got them on my 4th or 5th roll. Haven't tried rolling shoulders since.
Reply Quote
Not lucky yet to craft one to match my current vw. Most of it increase my paper dps but defensive.. Pftttt
Reply Quote
View profile
Mine were a DPS and HP upgrade over my VWs and only like .1 protection downgrade due to lower armor (100 lower) and all resist (10 lower).

But they were close enough for me to make the change and sell my VWs!

Heck, these even rolled Life Regen! It's like it was meant to happen!
Reply Quote
View profile
I still think VW are BiS since getting that super crafted shoulder will take some time. As Piff pointed out the crafted shoulder wins out by 30 Dex and 100 Vit if rolled perfectly compared to a Perfect VW.

When I saw some monks with over 100k Life I decided to craft some Vit shoulders and got a pretty nice Dex rolled Vit shoulder that increased my HP by 8K and since it rolled 12% Life if I add Vit on my other slots the life total would increase even more. I think if you skipped on your life because you used plenty of other slots for DPS like a Lakuni's or WH or AR Inna's Pants or Chest, Vit shoulders seem like a good opportunity to make up eHP.

Just my 2 cents.
I'll equip it to my jr Monk tonight.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote

I'll say yes. My shoulders don't have quite the EHP of my VW, but they're very close, and the 11K globe/pot bonus makes up for a lot of that. They beat it solidly on the DPS side of things, which is plenty good enough for me. And I'll craft better shoulders before I find a better VW, although AH users have more flexibility in that respect.
Reply Quote
View profile

I'll say yes. My shoulders don't have quite the EHP of my VW, but they're very close, and the 11K globe/pot bonus makes up for a lot of that. They beat it solidly on the DPS side of things, which is plenty good enough for me. And I'll craft better shoulders before I find a better VW, although AH users have more flexibility in that respect.

I see you have been on a crafting warpath! 4 crafted items used now only slot left is the Ammy which looks hard to replace. Picked up 11K DPS I believe, nice!
Reply Quote
The main thing a VW is good for these days is PvP (due to the armor/life regen etc), as it's hard to roll a BoA with high Life Regen/Armor and the AR stat and some sort of VIT or Plus Life percentage
Reply Quote
You can exactly duplicate the best Vile Wards and add +30 Dex on top with crafted shoulders. Or you can get some combinations that don't exist on Vile Wards. (Such as replacing LpS or Armor with pick-up radius, if that's your thing).

It can take forever to craft a shoulder with stats that rival the best Vile Wards, but I still think they're overpriced on the AH right now (at least the ones I've been looking at). Especially since shoulders are cheap to craft and seem to craft very well because there are fewer stats that can roll on shoulders than other slots.

If you see VWs on the AH for 30m-40m, that's the equivalent of 500 crafted shoulders. 70m-80m is the equivalent of 1000. You do save the time and effort of finding the DEs (or save the DEs which could be spent elsewhere), But I think you're going to craft something better if you make that many shoulders.
Reply Quote
I tried rolling shoulders for the first time 2 nights ago and came out with what I'm wearing now in about 10 tries. While I'm an Arcane monk, I can't complain too much. My damage and life shot up considerably.
Reply Quote
For a slightly larger sample size, when I was crafting, I tried to create 50 shoulders for my Monk (who was using fire resist). The best result of spending a few million gold was these:

244 Dex
48 Vit
40 Physical resist [wrong resist]
80 AR
11% life
Thorns

I also crafted these as my second best:
203 Dex
84 Vit
93 Str
31 Fire resist
79 AR
Thorns

I have two other ones with Fire resist that have trade-offs with my second best ones. (For example 290 Dex, but no AR. That sort of thing). I didn't keep any of the other 2nd best ones for other resists around, but I know there were some similar results for most other resists.

It is my experience that shoulders craft really, really well compared to current Vile Ward prices. I've heard stories of people crafting gloves on end and not getting an upgrade, but not shoulders (unless they already had a 250+ Dex, Vit, resist Vile Ward, for example).

Has anyone out there actually wasted more on crafting shoulders than it would have cost to just go and buy the Vile Ward they were looking for? I don't know anyone that's happened to. I haven't heard any real shoulder crafting horror stories.
Reply Quote
I see you have been on a crafting warpath! 4 crafted items used now only slot left is the Ammy which looks hard to replace. Picked up 11K DPS I believe, nice!

Don't forget the belt I just crafted! Playing around with just using Blinding Light and the stun effect on my AzT in exchange for some more standing EL and DPS. I think 'll need the freeze belt for the really fast mobs, or anything that can fly by you and leave molten trails beneath your feet. Pretty much anything that tries to kite me.
Reply Quote
crafted one is the best, hell even mfed rare shoulder can spawn with stats > vile ward. vile ward totally over rated
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]