Diablo® III

Act One and Two? Not worth it?

So I've been farming act 3 for some time now and I havn't gotten anything worth selling on the auction house yet. As you could imagine I'm getting bored of act 3. Is act 1 and 2 really THAT much worse than act 3 when it comes to how good the items are or whatnot? I'd like some variety but I keep hearing that act 1 and 2 are complete [Removed] to farm.

Confirm or deny?
Edited by Vaeflare on 3/7/2013 6:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Act 2 VOTA will always be one of the best places to farm. I also love doing a quick Whimsyshire, then cemetary and then Fields for Key. Those are my two alternate farms.
Reply Quote
Act 1 and 2, will be ilvl 63 if you do it on MP1+. So just as good as act 3, but less mob density most of the places. MP0 is not worth it, since there, mobs are ilvl60+

I sometimes use my Wiz in act 1 on MP1 when I want to chill, and play with only one hand:))
Reply Quote
Act 2 Vault of the Assassin on MP1+ is absolutely worth it. I got a nats reflection, and three echoing furys from there. The nats was nice the EFs were......um not so nice. I also got a decent Skorn I equipped on the enchantress. Plus if you do VOTA then tp to town hit Dahglur Oasis and run KW then exit and repeat you can gain keys really quick. I also like the festering woods area in act 1 as well as the cemetary.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 10:29 AMPosted by GenesisHell
Is act 1 and 2 really THAT much worse than act 3 when it comes to how good the items are or whatnot?

Not at all, It's less efficient.

Act 2 has VotS which is the most condensed elite area in the game.
Act 1 has plenty of waypoints around quick elite kills as well.

Only Act 4 truly lags behind.
Reply Quote
yeah but is Vota really that effective? I mean it has a lot of elites, but just curious how it compared to playing act 3 in 1 hour (of course ONLY areas with high mob density) or Vota for 1 hour.

You dont have to play act 3 as whole. Just areas with high mob density.

Vota is pretty much the only area in act 2 with a lot of monsters. Act 3 has at least a couple of places. Like the fields, keeps, some parts of the tower and so on.

I belive act 3 is still the most efficient as far as time and efficiency goes.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
ever thought about just playing the game for fun? i mean like, just slashing demons cuz ...it's fun? dont get me wrong, i mean i farm a little bit too, but if we are just on an item hunt to SELL to make more money - to buy more gear, to farm more baddies, to get more items to sell, to make more money...you get my point.
just a thought, no hate
to each their own
Reply Quote
If you aren't worried about grinding max XP per hour, then by all means go back to acts 1 and 2. Doing key runs or VOTA runs helps me break up the monotony sometimes.
Reply Quote
Act 1 and Act 2 are great if you're just item farming using Monster Power. Both Acts have waypoints to places with average-really high elite density and decent trash monsters. If you're going for pure XP though, Act 3's high trash monster density is unrivaled. I've been pretty sick of Paragon Leveling and I've been running some Act 1 and 2 item farming routes. Here's some ideas of what you could do:

Act 1
1. Start At "Cursed Hold" - being able to kill the Warden
2. Waypoint to Festering Woods - you can potentially get 5 NV right off the bat (events, elites) and has a high treasure goblin spawn rate
3. Waypoint to Cemetery of the Forsaken - clear the crypts for events, gobbies, and elites
4. Waypoint to Fields of Misery - large area, poor trash mob density, decent elites, has the key warden, spawns 2-3 worthwhile events, and some dungeons, skip Kazra Den
5. Waypoint to Southern Highlands - has 2-3 decent dungeons, decent elites
6. (Optional) Waypoint to Northern Highlands - clear elites, skip the dungeon
7. Waypoint to Leoric's Manner - clear backwards to the courtyard for elites, TP, waypoint back to the Manor
8. Clear to Butcher - hits all the Halls which have events and a good amount of elites, you get the Warden and Butcher fights

Act 2
1. Start at "Black Soulstone" - confronting Zoltun Kulle
2. Waypoint to Black Canyon Mines - clear elites
3. (Optional) - clear the area north of the mines for possible Ruins dungeon, an event, and 1-2 elites
4. Waypoint to Road to Alcarnus - clear the first half of Alcarnus for 1-2 elites
5. (Optional) - clear the area north of the waypoint of Alcarnus for possible Ruins dungeon, an event, and 2-3 elites
6. Hopefully have 5 NV - waypoint to Sewers, clear 1-2 elite, and high possibility of goblin
7. Waypoint to Oasis - clear all of Oasis for a good amount of elites, the Treasure Vaults, events, Key Warden
8. Waypoint to Desolate Sands - clear entire area, lots of elites, trash mobs, possible resplendent chests, and every single dungeon is worth doing here for elites and chests (especially Vault of the Assassins)
9. Waypoint to Kulle's archives - kill Kulle
10. (Optional) - clear the three areas around Kulle's boss fight, generally not worth it (especially the shadow dungeon) but it depends on if you want to clear some more elites.
11. (Optional) - Get the timer going on saving the citizens to get to Belial
12. (Optional) - TP back to the save area while the timer counts down - ID rares until timer is done, hit TP back to pick up the ladies
13. (Optional) - Kill Belial
Reply Quote
yeah but is Vota really that effective? I mean it has a lot of elites, but just curious how it compared to playing act 3 in 1 hour (of course ONLY areas with high mob density) or Vota for 1 hour.

You dont have to play act 3 as whole. Just areas with high mob density.

Vota is pretty much the only area in act 2 with a lot of monsters. Act 3 has at least a couple of places. Like the fields, keeps, some parts of the tower and so on.

I belive act 3 is still the most efficient as far as time and efficiency goes.

I find VotA and KDL2 to be very similar in drop and exp rates. The main difference is if kill elites or skip them. I can finsh both in about 15 minutes. (I kill elites) The VotA is a circular board and never requires backtracking so there is no dead time walking back through an area you already cleared. I have gotten 3 legs in one VotA run, same in KDL2. I try to keep my runs to 15 minutes and just do as many as I can. Unless I am hitting keywarden as well.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So I've been farming act 3 for some time now and I havn't gotten anything worth selling on the auction house yet. As you could imagine I'm getting bored of act 3. Is act 1 and 2 really THAT much worse than act 3 when it comes to how good the items are or whatnot? I'd like some variety but I keep hearing that act 1 and 2 are complete [Removed] to farm.

Confirm or deny?

We're fairly satisfied where the with the overall mob density in Act 3, and we're currently working on some mob density changes for Acts 1, 2, and 4 of Inferno difficulty that should make them more appealing. So in the future, you should have the opportunity to try your hand at the other Acts and hopefully you can find even more farming routes you groove with.

That said, one of the additional improvements we're hoping to make is to make it so that XP from quests would be granted to players that are at level cap. Every little bit helps, after all. :)
Reply Quote
Thanks

03/07/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Vaeflare
That said, one of the additional improvements we're hoping to make is to make it so that XP from quests would be granted to players that are at level cap. Every little bit helps, after all. :)

Ive been complaining about this since I hit Inferno a long time ago lol
Reply Quote
when you say you are satisfied with the overall mob density you must be talking about keep and arreat crate maps (ie the areas that people run and reload none stop to level)? cause the rest of the other areas feel pretty empty like the towers and the other areas

the fun part of diablo in general is being able to kill stuff... not run around 80% of the time to find stuff to kill or reloading 1 section of an act non stop cause the rest of the other areas have next to no mobs to kill
Reply Quote

Confirm or deny?

not really , act 2 is worth because echoing fury is ilv62. i got drop in ac2
Reply Quote

Confirm or deny?

not really , act 2 is worth because echoing fury is ilv62. i got drop in ac2

As long as you are at least MP1, all acts drop the same gear.
Reply Quote
Ponies can be worth the investment.
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Greymateria
Ponies can be worth the investment.

I got this exact same phrase on a fortune cookie once.
Reply Quote
VOTA can be done in less than 15 min on at least mp5...it's a great place. I also like act1 cemetery fields and highlands... Act2 vota if saved then kw otherwise I do sewer cistern mines road to alcarnus then kw then vota...
Reply Quote
Ideally, there should be a Monster Density option right next to the Monster Power selection. And that density should expand from, say, half the current density of Act 3 to 4 times as much, giving players a choice to fight many, many weak monsters or fewer very strong ones.
To express being "fairly satisfied" with Act 3 is not enough. And to miss the opportunity to give players more choices - and instead to unilaterally conjure up a compromise density that risks to alienate most of them - is not smart.
While you're at it, not only the EXP quest reward needs a bit of an overhaul: The EXP bonuses for monsters killed in one blow and for massacres needs an adjustment, too. Either that or don't give any EXP bonus at all. Just be consistent. Also, I don't like getting 820 gold as a quest reward - Make it no gold at all or something useful, like 500 gold multiplied by Paragon level multiplied by Monster Power.
Edited by Presence#2778 on 3/8/2013 1:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]