Diablo® III

D3 & WoW do not show up in taskbar at all

Both games have this issue. I am running Windows 8 with two monitors. I run both games in Fullscreen-Windowed. Both games are pinned to my taskbar, but after launching and logging in, if I alt+tab out, the games do not show as running in the task bar.

For further clarification, Diablo 3 is currently running on my computer and this is what my taskbar looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/0Do0ttc.jpg?1

It should be hi-lighted like the other icons of programs that are currently running, to allow me to click the icon to maximize the program rather than launching a second instance of it.
Edited by Lotus#1177 on 3/6/2013 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Lotus ,

Try this.

On your desktop, right click the shortcuts used to start the game(s) and select properties, then compatibility. Set it to use Windows XP SP3 and save it. Start up each game and confirm it now works as you want. Then, and this is the strange part, go back and remove the compatibility settings from the shortcuts and save again. It should still work as you want.
Reply Quote
That seems to have worked. Strange, but not going to question it. Thanks!
Reply Quote
hey Omrakos,

First off thanks for the good advice!! :) It worked like a charm!

But i would also have a follow-up question: does this fix interact, in any way, with the way the game client detects the current version of windows (vista/7/8), and by that i am mainly concerned by it messing up any dx11 functions and classes, if any, that the game engine may be using.

Other than that its the best fix in ages, for d3 AND for wow, and since wow has an option to choose which dx library to choose (dx9c or dx11) it isn't an issue.

Well, thanks again !!
Reply Quote
But i would also have a follow-up question: does this fix interact, in any way, with the way the game client detects the current version of windows (vista/7/8), and by that i am mainly concerned by it messing up any dx11 functions and classes, if any, that the game engine may be using.

Other than that its the best fix in ages, for d3 AND for wow, and since wow has an option to choose which dx library to choose (dx9c or dx11) it isn't an issue.

That's a great point Garrett and i'm almost sure you are right, if the game is launched in compatibility mode, say as Windows XP, the DX11 functions wouldn't be available, there are workarounds tho, such as the one you pointed out regarding WoW being able to change the graphic settings within the game... but at the end it really depends how each game/engine/software was programmed.

Try this.

On your desktop, right click the shortcuts used to start the game(s) and select properties, then compatibility. Set it to use Windows XP SP3 and save it. Start up each game and confirm it now works as you want. Then, and this is the strange part, go back and remove the compatibility settings from the shortcuts and save again. It should still work as you want.

This worked partially for me. When i launch D3 with compatibility mode set as Windows XP SP3 the icon appeared, but then when i closed the game and removed the compatibility mode and launched it again in standard mode the icon disappeared again.

Do you happen to have more information about this issue? Such as what and why it is happening? Maybe even a definite fix?
Edited by FernanDK#1291 on 9/20/2013 1:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I am having the same issue. My games are open but not appearing on my task bar. I use the battle.net desktop app so is it any different? Also on windows 8. If I to into game in re apply windowed fullscreen when already on it, it adds to my task bar. otherwise it isn't there!
Reply Quote
What I do is create a desktop folder called "Tools" then place most all desktop icons/shortcuts in that folder. I create new taskbar (Tools) and place it next to start button. Works for me with Windows 8.1.

Right click on taskbar -- choose create new taskbar.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]