Diablo® III

Hopefully mob density increase isn't Inferno only

I got really excited when they announced the increased experience rewards for playing on higher monster levels, at least until I realized it was Inferno only. I hope they don't make that mistake again and make the density increase something for Inferno again, I really want to level up some alts but they keep adding stuff and then limiting it to only help end game players. Experience boosts, nephalem valor, and possibly even the mob density judging from one of their posts.

Some people actually like leveling characters that aren't end game, how about some love for them?

I'm not saying D3 is a bad game or any of that nonsense that people love to throw around, I'm just saying I would enjoy some benefits being extended to playing a character that isn't maxed out for a change, As it stands right now I just log in, play for an hour, get bored and log off. It's the same old game until you get to 60 when all the fun stuff suddenly kicks in. Make the rest of the game just as much fun as level 60.
Reply Quote
The wording from Travis and Wyatt indicates it to be more likely than not the case, however I agree with you in that it should not only be limited to inferno.

The way the game currently is, the game really doesnt truly begin until level 60. Most items below 60 barely used with a few exceptions are no more useful then for just a few levels, now with the potential inclusion of having low level legendaires drop with ilvl 63 stats, it is more imperative than ever to have level 60 characters.

Since everything is so focused on end game the amount of time going from 1 to 60 should be cut to as minimal as possible.

We already have exp% bonus gear and easy powerleveling with MP, but we should take it to the new level and increase monster density for pre-inferno 1-60 further as well and potentially increase MP exp% to pre-inferno as was done in 1.0.7, I might even so as far to say to introduce more low level requirement exp% bonus gear and buff the +exp range to significantly higher numbers for low level gear as well.
Reply Quote
That pretty much sums it up, the entire game is basically a race to get to 60 as fast as possible and ignore everything from 1-59 except for new skills/runes. I really dislike that mindset, I want to have fun leveling, I don't want to feel like I'm just doing chores so that I can get a piece of candy at the end, I want to enjoy the entire game.

This is one of my biggest problems with a lot of classes in MMOs, you always hear "Well stick it out to 40 and the class gets better"...ok, so what? I want to have fun playing what is supposed to be a game, the very definition of a game is to have fun. Why would I want to suffer for a week before actually getting to the part where the game is fun?

D3 needs some serious help for the pre 60 game.
Edited by Kain#1956 on 3/7/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thats why we should have more options available for decreasing the amount of time it takes to go from 1-60, by having more increased experience options people will have the option to play the game slowly level by level at their own pace or basically skip to 60 in as little time as possible.

Monster Density for pre-inferno will give players that option and for those like yourself who dont want to have the chore of grinding to 60 just get play the game wherein you can have fun by having access to all the skills as well as access to all the potentially best weapons and unique builds in the game.
Reply Quote
I think it should be Inferno only. You don't need extra mob densinsity in lower levels to level faster or make it more fun. You only need it in end-game.

Plus if they add to normal/nightmare/hell it will wreck those difficulties. As-in, it's ok if inferno gets alot harder due to more density, but it's not ok to make the lower difficulties harder.
Reply Quote
everything before Inferno is just an tutorial anyway ... geting you used to the AH, the skills, items etc.

If you see it like that it makes more sense and also some fun.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 3/7/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
68 Undead Priest
Completely agree with TC. Having come back to WoW now after BC, it's so incredibly dissapointing that blizzards new design philosophy is to not even try and make the leveling game compelling anymore.

I really hate having to do so much boring garbage to get to the 'fun' part of the game
Reply Quote
That's the thing, I don't want to hear "pre-60 is just tutorial anyway." Well why should it work that way? Getting to 60 as it is right now is nothing more than a tedious chore. Act 1 should be a tutorial, not the entire game before level cap. If it isn't any fun getting to the end game why would I want to bother getting there in the first place, that is a horrible way to get people to enjoy your product.

As it stands right now there have been basically zero improvements to the pre-60 game. I can think of only one off the top of my head, that being monster power. But for 60+...

New Gems: inferno drops only. How about a new gem type we can all enjoy?
New unique ring: inferno drops only. How about some new lower level uniques or sets?
New crafting recipes: inferno drops only. How about some new lower level crafting stuff?
Better MP bonuses: inferno only. Why can't we have the bonuses before inferno?
Monster Density improvements: inferno only from what I can see. Why can't we all enjoy more monster before inferno?
Nephalem Valor: 60+ only. Why can't we have this before 60? Would be a great incentive to actually play for longer periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game for what it is, but I am not going to continue to support the game financially when an expansion comes out if all the content is going to be got 60+ or inferno only. I want to enjoy the entire game, not just the end game.
Edited by Kain#1956 on 3/7/2013 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We’re fairly satisfied where the with the overall mob density in Act 3, and the mob density changes we’re currently working on will apply to Acts 1, 2, and 4 of Inferno difficulty only.

03/07/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Kain
Some people actually like leveling characters that aren't end game, how about some love for them?

That’s one of the reasons we added the Monster Power system: it allows players to further tune how challenging enemies are in each difficulty setting, regardless of level. Also when Travis Day spoke about allowing Legendary items to scale up in our recent Developer Journal: Itemization Update, that means they will be able to drop at lower levels too. We’ll be looking not only at letting low-level Legendaries drop at higher levels, but we’ll also be allowing higher level Legendaries to drop at lower levels. In addition, the targeted drops we mentioned in the Itemization Update are intended to improve the level up game as well.

Below are some specific examples we’re considering which we feel will benefit all players, regardless of level:

• One idea that we have discussed is “targeted Legendaries,” where named NPCs have an increased chance of dropping specific legendary items. For example, The Butcher could have an increased chance of dropping The Butcher's Carver.
  • Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.
  • We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.
  • Reply Quote
    03/07/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare
    We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

Wouldn't that open up for some leveling abuse?

I mean, with boosting, a character can reach inferno level in under 3 hours, then ½ an hour going through the bosses at inferno level, for a net sum of legendaries.

Just throwing that thought out there, since that is what I am predicting will happen.
    Reply Quote
    they already have a guaranteed "chance" to drop a legendary
    Reply Quote
    We’re fairly satisfied where the with the overall mob density in Act 3, and the mob density changes we’re currently working on will apply to Acts 1, 2, and 4 of Inferno difficulty only.

That’s one of the reasons we added the Monster Power system: it allows players to further tune how challenging enemies are in each difficulty setting, regardless of level. Also when Travis Day spoke about allowing Legendary items to scale up in our recent [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/developer-journal-itemization-update-3-5-2013"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url], that means they will be able to drop at lower levels too. We’ll be looking not only at letting low-level Legendaries drop at higher levels, but we’ll also be allowing higher level Legendaries to drop at lower levels. In addition, the targeted drops we mentioned in the Itemization Update are intended to improve the level up game as well.

Below are some [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/developer-journal-itemization-update-3-5-2013"]specific examples[/url] we’re considering which we feel will benefit all players, regardless of level:

• One idea that we have discussed is “targeted Legendaries,” where named NPCs have an increased chance of dropping specific legendary items. For example, The Butcher could have an increased chance of dropping The Butcher's Carver.
  • Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.
  • We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

• Thanks for the response, but I honestly don't think that's nearly enough for lower level players. Most of the ideas you listed are all well and good, especially allowing all legendary items to scale to all levels since I personally think low level sets not existing is a huge gap in the item table for lowbie characters. Part of the fun of D2 for me was collecting as many sets as I could, even if I never used them, they were still collectors items for me.

Unfortunately, I really don't think just tweaking the item game is going to make D3 more satisfying for lower level players. Getting to 60 is still going to be a monotonous grind and is still missing features that you would get at 60 or inferno that just make the game straight up more enjoyable.

New (and better) uniques are going to be more important than simply scaling the same unique items everybody has seen for months. While I applaud the idea and look forward to it I think there needs to be some fresh legendary blood tossed in somewhere. However, this isn't the core of my problem with D3, items are great, but there needs to be something else looked at. The elephant in the room for me is the huge bias towards end game, and while I understand most of the game starts there I really think that some of the benefits at end game should be extended to lower level players.

Better MP bonuses: We get some benefit from higher MP pre-60 but once you get to inferno the bonuses skyrocket, I would love to see the inferno only changes implemented into pre-60. If getting to 60 is really where the game begins than let us get there faster and get more rewards for risking our necks.

Monster Density improvements: Why oh why oh why is this inferno only? It's got nothing to do with farming in this case, killing more monsters is more fun, always, end of story. Why is something this big of an improvement only being given to inferno players? This could be the #1 big thing that makes leveling more fun, more stuff to kill! Please oh please don't leave this inferno only.

Nephalem Valor: This is another thing I can't figure out being set to 60+ only. Better items = more fun, that's not really a surprise right? It's not like being at level 60 and 5 stacks always gave us automatic upgrades, so why not let us have a shot at getting something nice from NV while leveling? The keywardens could still be set to level 60, I couldn't care less about them, but NV would give us something to play with while leveling. Sure it may get reset a bit from experimenting but it's still nice to have another feature to play with.
    Reply Quote
    Will there be more concrete information on what is included in the patch anytime soon. All the things mentioned
    Developer Journal: Itemization Update,
    are really cool but when will we know everything in the patch so we don't get our hopes up. :)
    Reply Quote
    03/07/2013 06:20 PMPosted by KingD
    We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

I mean, with boosting, a character can reach inferno level in under 3 hours, then ½ an hour going through the bosses at inferno level, for a net sum of legendaries.

Just throwing that thought out there, since that is what I am predicting will happen.

I think he meant the first time you clear it on that account, not necessarily per character. Also, I'm sure that even if you could get one every time you beat the boss with a new toon, the market would become flooded, and those items would still be good, just worthless since there's so many of them. Either that or make them BoA. As long as the items are rolled for the specific class being played, I'm happy
    Reply Quote

Why would you level up an entire character (even if botted) for a guaranteed legendary when you can play high MP for a legendary every 8-10 minutes? Botters would just play MP0 and still get more legendaries in 3 hours than you would leveling a character just to do bosses.
    Reply Quote
    I cant wait to destroy bosses with a level 25 barb which happened to find a Skorn and a Witching Hour :D

Overall, more items at any level, thats great.
    Edited by toni#2352 on 3/7/2013 6:41 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    03/07/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Don't you think the current legendaries will get old? There are only so many... ;)
    Reply Quote
    Will there be more concrete information on what is included in the patch anytime soon. All the things mentioned
    are really cool but when will we know everything in the patch so we don't get our hopes up. :)

I would also like to know when the next "ask the devs" would be.
    Reply Quote
    Community Manager

We're currently working on patch 1.0.8, and as part of that process, we're still busy determining what will make it into the final patch. Once we get closer, however, we'll be posting more discrete details. :)
    Reply Quote
    03/07/2013 06:32 PMPosted by speedforce

Why would you level up an entire character (even if botted) for a guaranteed legendary when you can play high MP for a legendary every 8-10 minutes? Botters would just play MP0 and still get more legendaries in 3 hours than you would leveling a character just to do bosses.

The keyword is High MP. At low MP's you can't churn out legendaries every 8-10 minutes. The 4 hours I have played today, I got 2 on MP4 (speedruns)

Anyways, with boosting, one can do it very quick (the booster have the WP's) No need to play all the content through each act.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]