Diablo® III

Hopefully mob density increase isn't Inferno only

03/07/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

My question will be, if I skip Leoric in every difficulties and kill him once I get to lvl 60. Is that mean I will get a chance to own a Leoric Signet?
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 10:05 PMPosted by Windstrike
We've also discussed allowing bosses the first time you kill them in each difficulty to have a guaranteed chance to drop a Legendary.

How about if you kill every single monster in a map the last monster drops a legendary? This would encourage me to "hunt" rather than plow.
Reply Quote
One idea that we have discussed is “targeted Legendaries,” where named NPCs have an increased chance of dropping specific legendary items. For example, The Butcher could have an increased chance of dropping The Butcher's Carver.
Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.

Being completely honest here... I have issues with all of these ideas, and here is my reasoning:

Targeted Legendaries: Travis made it a point to mention the D3 economy. There are some players that refuse to acknowledge its existance or impact on the game, but a vast majority know it to varying degrees and attempt to master it over time.

The issue with making some legendaries targeted will kill the item's value. The markets for those items will flood, causing the prices to plummet. Now, some of you are going to say "So? That means more cheap items for me if I go on AH." While you are correct, you are only thinking of yourself as a buyer in the short term. What if, as a farmer, you get a Legendary drop... Butcher's Carver. Is it good? Maybe. Could it have been any number of other Legendaries that are worth far more (because the value of that specific item will plummet)? You bet'cha.

Favored Class Rolls: This just defeats the purpose of the lottery aspect of the game IMO. Just because I am playing a Wizard doesn't mean that I always want to find Wizard items. I'm cool with finding anything and everything.

If I can't use it, I'll sell it. I don't want to be spoon-fed items that are pre-tailored to my current class. At that point you might as well just automatically hand me upgrades periodically and I don't need to bother putting any effort into farming. While that may sound awesome to some people it is removing lots of cause/effect and choice from the players... and over time, even if subconsciously, they will realize this.

First Boss Kill Drops: This is another type of guaranteed drops, and I do not agree with them in any shape, form, or color. Nothing should be guaranteed about drops. It defeats the purpose of farming, even if it's a one-time thing.

As an alternative, perhaps the bosses could drop materials or gems instead? That would be a means to crafting more items so that the player's hands are still in the process, instead of just getting a gold star for showing up that day.

To sum up: Players need more choices... not less. Farming should be earned, and never given. That being said, providing an increased chance for crafting materials and gems would be a good alternative to handing over items directly.

On Mob Density: I agree 100% that Acts I, II, and IV are in need of some adjustments to be on par with Act III. If possible... perhaps for 1.09... perhaps you could truely open some doors for your players and release the following:

- Added Free Roam and Story game types. Story mode will function exactly as the game functions since launch with linear progression. Players must first clear the current difficulty in order to unlock Free Roam. This mode allows players to travel from Act to Act via Waypoints. A majority of waypoints will be active.

In the case of a multi-level area only the first waypoint will be active. All bosses and sub-bosses are spawned in their standard locations and function as normal. All story cut scenes and dialogue are skipped automatically.

- Added Game Descriptors. When creating a Public Game, players can now select goals from the provided list for various farming runs, boss fights, brawling, crafting, or trading preferences. This will allow players to search for games that match their current goals.
Edited by Danov#1796 on 3/8/2013 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
It always amazes me when people talk about needing to find legendaries more often. Why? If you could find them often, they'd be common, and everyone would have them and get bored of them. Finding something legendary should be a rare occurence, not just in name but in how often you find them. That being said, legendaries do need to be really really good, since part of the thrill of finding one should be knowing it's going to improve your character...but if you can find a legendary every time you play, that will get tired really quickly.
Reply Quote
Posted by Vaeflare

Guaranteed drops....LAME!!

You can bet your sweet blue !@# it would be exploited.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 3/8/2013 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

I strongly disagree with this proposition because people will remake and remake characters to farm legendaries.
Another idea is that we introduce a system that will help alleviate some of the bad randomness players encounter by ensuring that at least some of the Rare and Legendary items you find will be something good for your class.

A game based on RND is a game based on RND. Be consistent please!!
Moreover, I am playing all the classes, and I like to find good items for my barb with my WD, for example. This proposition will discourage to play many classes. It's a bad idea.
Edited by Adashra#2306 on 3/8/2013 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
to the OP: I am fine with the increased mob density for lower difficulties. The parts in the game when you get swarmed are rare and we need to have more spread throughout the game.

But for inferno MP rewards to work at lower difficulties I disagree. The 1.00 version was balanced around the exp numbers you would get for going start to finish on each difficulty. It was designed for normal to be 1-30, for nightmare to be 30-50 and for hell to be 50-60. Now with the MP I can be lvl 60 starting act 3 hell. If they implemented inferno MP bonuses, you would be 60 by act 1 hell probably.

Then you have to complete the tedious task of doing act 1-4 on hell and it is faceroll easy. You say leveling feels like a chore? How about doing an entire difficulty for next nothing (yah for paragon at least).

I think the auto legendary would be fine if it stopped in inferno. At least it gives you a big reward every act as you level. And lower level legendaries were never a game breaking/economy breaking issue. It would help the people who dislike the AH, and would allow those that love the AH to have twinked out low levels for cheap. win/win in my book. But this has no place in inferno.
Reply Quote
View profile

Wouldn't that open up for some leveling abuse?

I mean, with boosting, a character can reach inferno level in under 3 hours, then ½ an hour going through the bosses at inferno level, for a net sum of legendaries.

Just throwing that thought out there, since that is what I am predicting will happen.

It's actually not that efficient when you think about it. A high level MP player or one that has met the mf/gf cap somewhere in the mid MPs with the best IPH (items per hour) farming routes can easily average 6-7+ legendaries an hour.

I think this is actually good system for those that don't mind efficiently and rather have that guaranteed legendary.

All in all it creates a system in which one has to balance the idea of whether or not that want the guaranteed legendary for more time spent or more inconsistent legendaries for less time spent.
Edited by Estoppel#1223 on 3/8/2013 10:34 AM PST
Reply Quote

This would be fantastic. Bring some of the old Diablo boss farming back without making it mandatory.

Sad to see this mentality still prevails. these people are simply parasites.

What the hell are you talking about Dead? How does farming a boss, which has been a particularly social activity in games for years, make people parasites?
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vaeflare

This would get more ppl starting new toons.
Reply Quote
Guaranteed drops don't belong in diablo games
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 01:53 PMPosted by knotclown

100% agree with this. Better drop chances for first boss kill, sure, but never 100% guaranteed.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/09/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Kain

100% agree with this. Better drop chances for first boss kill, sure, but never 100% guaranteed.

Pretty sure the implication is a much higher chance - not 100% chance. At least that's how Travis described it.
Reply Quote
I don't see why you're worried about leveling characters, you realize it's the same story, same enemies, and same environments in every difficulty right?

Get to the end game and enjoy the game there where it's an actual challenge and you can use the build you actually want to use.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/07/2013 06:20 PMPosted by KingD

Wouldn't that open up for some leveling abuse?

I mean, with boosting, a character can reach inferno level in under 3 hours, then ½ an hour going through the bosses at inferno level, for a net sum of legendaries.

Just throwing that thought out there, since that is what I am predicting will happen.

I really think that blowing through the levels just to get a legendary drop that is only useful for a little while. As well as getting a legendary off of every boss will not be as efficient as farming for legendaries anyway. Also if the itemization changes not only make legendaries and sets awesome. But that same awesomeness is applied to rares as well.

Then what we will have is more item diversity. Where we can use almost any piece of gear we want. Sure there will always be BiS gear. But we will at least have some alternatives that we can use that will help us get around the same level of performance as the BiS gear we got now.

Also players are bored leveling new characters anyway. There is no reason to level another character of the same class for most players. Sure you might have a few like me that would reroll in order to test some things. You see all my characters that I will be naming dread on my account will be used in some experiment that I am running. There are very few players like me that would do that.
Reply Quote
Will there be more concrete information on what is included in the patch anytime soon. All the things mentioned
are really cool but when will we know everything in the patch so we don't get our hopes up. :)

We're currently working on patch 1.0.8, and as part of that process, we're still busy determining what will make it into the final patch. Once we get closer, however, we'll be posting more discrete details. :)

Ummm, the FINAL patch???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]