Diablo® III

Suggestions for Affixes and "game changing" Legendaries

Here's mine (didn't read the whole thread though)

General: Please add Chance to Block for 2H swords, staffs, daibos

If existing Legendaries can be changed:

Frostburn Gauntlet
- increase bonus cold damage % + rolls random attribute + chance to freeze enemies on hit, frozen enemies takes X amount of damage as cold over X secs.

Fragment of Destiny
- increase proc coefficient of fire, lightning, cold skills + higher Intelligence roll + chance to cast either fire/cold/lightning nova when hit

Burning Axe of Sankis
- increase proc coefficient of fire skills

Lidless Wall Shield
- rolls random and higher attribute + increase proc coefficient of all skills by a small percentage point (better replacement to the "+1 to all skills" affix of the D2 version of the shield compared to the random affix bonus on Skills)

Wall of Bone Shield
- rolls higher attribute + chance to cast Bone Armor when hit

Demon Skin Set
- full set - enemies within X yards takes X% weapon damage as fire + LOH + Crit Hit Chance increased by X% - more demon-like character please

Skycutter Sword
- summoned Angel has Aura (whatever aura) + Life Link + small LOH + explodes at death dealing X damage as Holy

Inna's Reach Daibo
- AOE damage (enough I guess) + Chance to Block

Flying Dragon Daibo
- Chance to Block + instead of chance to double attack speed, attack speed stocks (e.g., +5% every procs, stocks up to 5x) + chance to cast an AOE blast on hit

If Legendaries can't be changed:

Any Item - APOC/Stamina/Mana/Fury/Hatred/Discipline regen + attribute roll + X random affixes + increases proc coefficient of skills by small percentage point
Reply Quote
Fix Demon Hunter dual wielding please. As of right now our only option is to use a quiver. I don't like that.
Reply Quote
Hi,
Making legendaries more interesting is a great thing, however, I think we also need item sinks to go with this, or once again the updated legendaries will fill the marketplace and once again become mundaine. I was thinking along these lines:

After thinking about the multitude of threads on the forum, it certainly appears that the general concencus of the community is that:
a) There are too many items on the AH. There are literally 1000's of each legendary there
b) There is too much gold in the economy
c) Gems are never destroyed and thus cannot retain any value, except for crafting costs
d) Demonic Essences drop too often and there's not much we can do with them
e) Rare items are mostly not worth the time/effort to pickup and identify
f) Many legendary items drop as junk
g) Crafting materials have no value

After thinking about this, here are my thoughts with regards to taking a stab at all the problems in one foul swoop.

The answer? Salvage mods from items. How this works:

1) The Blacksmith will allow a player to select "Salvage Mats" and "Salvage Mods"\
2) If salvage Mods is selected, the player will have to pay an amount of gold, based on the item level/quality of the item being salvaged. For example a level 10 rare item might cost 100g and a level 63 rare item might cost 10,000 gold ect...
3) One mod is salvaged at random from the item. The salvaged mod is now BOA.
4) The item is destroyed in the process

This item salvage can now be added to any of the same type of item. This would also have a cost based on the item level and quality, at a much higher cost than salvaging. For example a level 10 rare item might cost 1000g and a level 63 rare item might cost 1,000,000g, legendarys, much more. The item would now be customized and become BOA. Along with that, we could add a materials cost as well. For example a low level item could be a normal crafting material. A level 60-63 item could be crafting materials and demonic essences. Legendary items would require demonic essences and brimstones. You could even add gems into the mix to sink them as well.

Rules for customization:
1) A rare mod can be applied to a legendary or rare item
2) The item type must be able to support that mod. For example a monster 2-h weapon mod could not be placed into a 1-h weapon
3) A legendary mod can only be applied to another legendary item
4) A specific legendary mod (designed for a particular weapon) could only be applied to the same type of legendary item
5) Items cannot have more than their max. sockets. So no, rare weapons could not have 2 sockets.
6) Only a specified number of customizations could be added. I'm on the side of one only.
7) The player gets to choose what mod to replace on the existing item, however if that mod exists, it will automatically be replaced. For example you have a +200 dex mod, and your item has a +50 dex on it. The +50 will be replaced with the +200. If you don't have dex, then you will be able to chose what it replaces. The replaced mod will be gone.

For example, you want to add a mod to your Skorn.

You find another Skorn with crappy DPS, however the +CHD mod is much higher than the one you have, resulting in much higher DPS.

You attempt to salvage the Skorn you have (stopping it from getting to the AH). You get lucky and acutally get the +CHD stat. You then apply this mod to your existing Skorn, which will replace the exising CHD stat. You gain additional damage, but your Skorn is no longer tradeable.

Cost: 5,000,000 gold
Mats: 100 Iredisent Tears, 10 Brimstones, 10 Demonic Essences, 1 Star gem of any type

What this does:
1) Each time a mod salvage is attempted, the item is removed from the game. As the mod removal is random, it could take a number of attempts to salvage a socket. Or even a high CHD% ect...
2) Each time an item is customized, it removes that item from the game, however the player in possession of the item, if it's modded nicely, the item would be godly.
3) Crappy items will now have value for one specific mod. Every rare item would have a chance to have a valuable mod that a player would find desirable. It would provide insentive to pick up more items. Every Legendary could have the ablity to make another Legendary great.
4) Tons of gold would be removed from the game
5) As crafting materials are required, their value would increase
Reply Quote
^How about instead of salvaging these properties from existing items, make crafting plans that allow you to make new crafting ingredients that can be added to any plan existing for a certain affix.

Like maybe an "Essence of Life" ingredient is made by paying X gold Y & Z of the already used blue & yellow crafting ingredients(possibly brimstones as well) + some amount (maybe 15+) of demonic essences. applying the ingredient to a plan takes the place of one of the random mods, & increases the crafting cost by some amount. Have an essence that can be crafted for each affix((Including possible new skill affixes, or the ability to put LS on maybe a regular belt instead of just a mighty belt. Or Spirit regen on a normal looking helm, rather than just spirit stones.))
Reply Quote
MAKE EVERY AFFIX RELEVANT

Right now we have a few affixes that are equivalent to white items, pure junk. Melee attackers take damage? Specific element resistance? C'mon! Everyone talks about trifecta/quadfecta because the others are irrelevant. Make each stat mean something to every class. This way a +STR crossbow is an option for a specific build. Also defense is meaningless because if you pump half the effort into upping DPS, you can insta-kill anything that could have been a threat.

Redesign areas to elemental specific mobs/areas, making optimized farming runs more attractive to specific elemental resist.
Reply Quote
View profile
DUAL WIELDING!!!!! HALF THE STATS AND INCREASE ATTACK SPEED BY 15% AS WITH 1h'S BUT AT LEAST WE ALL GET TO USE ALL ITEMS! Sorry, I just had to shout that... as it's my biggest want ATM... also, this would allow good solid dmg with shield use as well! Bring it on baby!

To clarify... similarly to DH's, you wouldn't get halved stats when using a 2H and shield... but 1h +2H or 2x 2H would half the 2H's stats by half... that is all effects and stats that were buffed in a prior patch to have double rolls... anything standard needs to be left alone...
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 3/13/2013 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+X% chance to drop a health globe on hit

Health globes grant (insert offensive stat) for 10-15 seconds, stacks up to 5 times

Health globes grant (insert defensive stat) for 10-15 seconds, stacks up to 5 times

Picking up a health globe decreases all cooldowns by 1 second

Buff Wizard passive Power Hungry to additionally grant +10 max AP per health globe picked up for 10-15 seconds, stacks up to 5 times

Legendary affix that removes the cooldown from Earthquake, but increases the Fury cost by 50-60
Reply Quote
First off I have absolutely no problem with the game as it currently is, I find it extremely fun to play. I do enjoy the aspect of finding my own gear and on ocassion using farmed gold to buy something at the GAH. That being said, I'd really like to be able to in the process of farming for better loot or gold to have something else to strive for.

I really liked the demonic essences introduced in 1.07 and the new recipes, and I think they're a great first step to help fix and improve the crafting system, as for a end level character it is very little to no help at all.

For this idea to benefit the player all discussed essences should be BOA and once an item is upgraded for the first time in the explanation below it becomes BOA so it's not used by bots and it rewards you for playing the game not AH flipping.

My proposed solution is:

1. When salvaging ilvl63 items make it so that there's a 20% oportunity of getting 1 essence of one of the affixes of the items.

2. Give the blacksmith a new tab which allows to place an existing rare item and essences of attributes to boost it's current value by 1 point. Yes I did say one point because I don't want to be a one time upgrade BIS item but rather something that with fighting and getting essences makes your armor like you a legendary hero. Every tier of upgrading your item will start to cost more and more, but instead of having to look for a credit card or spend 2bil on a item for someone else, you can if you want to put the time and the money make your own BIS rares ( with the exception of legendary and set items which should not be upgradable).

3. Let's say i got a belt with 100 STR 50 All Resist 25 VIT 8% life, +250 Armor and 5 Pickup RadiusOff the bat because of such a low VIT score the item would by most considered subpar. But with this system in place we could with a lot of time and a investment make it BIS. Say you farm for a while and get 5 VIT essences. Then you would go to the blacksmith and since the tier for 25 vit is very low it would cost say 15,000 and 5 essences to boost 1 point.Once you get to 50 VIT the price would rise to let's say 50,000 and 10 essences Then at 75 it would rise again to 150,000 and 25 essences . After 100 it should be 1,000,000 or more and 50 essences because the item is becoming more and more powerful and expensive.

You should have at the blacksmithe the ability that once you place the item to upgrade it, it should show the maximum value that can be obtained per slot. You could keep the item in your stash and slowly make it a 200S TR, 150 VIT, 80 All Resist 12% life, +350 Armor, and 7 pickup radius. Granted it might take you months to get the materials and gold to take it to that level. But you're suddenly felling good about killing hoards of monsters and grabbing all those yellows because they have a purpose other than having random rolls. Now all yellows have the potential to benefit you. Be it because it has all the 6 affixes you want no matter how low or because it was only 3 affixes but you have a 20% chance of getting a essence off one of those 3 attributes.

I believe that with this feature implemented while we grind and fight for loot and gold we can actually get a nice progression between the mp dificulties as little by little we upgrade our items. I see no downside to this as if you find a good item it wouls still sell on the AH as this items would not be flooding the market. A plus side of this will be it would become both a gold and item sink eliminating them from the AH and thus making found items a little more valuable again.

Edited for context, wrote some things improperly.
Edited by Wulfgar#1770 on 3/14/2013 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Game Designer
Wow 35 pages of ideas, you guys are awesome. I just wanted to come give everyone who is posting ideas in this thread a high five. It's really awesome to see the community come together and get constructive and creative. I haven't been able to read through this entire thread yet but when I go home at night I have the forums on my second monitor and read through as much of the feedback you guys give as I can.

I see a lot of ideas that revolve around things like "make proc scalars better with this item". As a general design note, those are the kinds of things that we try to avoid when possible. We want players to look at items and think "whoa thats awesome". If we made something that increased a proc scalar what instead happens is someone says "ok lemme go pull up my excel spreadsheet and my calculator and I'll get back to you with how good this thing is", in other words, it's a very math driven design that doesn't really sell the visceral that we are going for. So let's put a pin in proc scalar related ideas and instead try to focus on ideas that would legitimately change your gameplay experience as much as possible.

Also the goal of our legendaries in the long run is "Game changing not game breaking". We wouldn't make something that say increased the damage of your primary spell by 500% or made you invinvible 90% of the time. It's fun to be powerful but we still want players to feel engaged by the game.

*A wild Travis disappears through his treasure portal!
Edited by Travis Day on 3/13/2013 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow 35 pages of ideas, you guys are awesome. I just wanted to come give everyone who is posting ideas in this thread a high five. It's really awesome to see the community come together and get constructive and creative. I haven't been able to read through this entire thread yet but when I go home at night I have the forums on my second monitor and read through as much of the feedback you guys give as I can.

I see a lot of ideas that revolve around things like "make proc scalars better with this item". As a general design note, those are the kinds of things that we try to avoid when possible. We want players to look at items and think "whoa thats awesome". If we made something that increased a proc scalar what instead happens is someone says "ok lemme go pull up my excel spreadsheet and my calculator and I'll get back to you with how good this thing is", in other words, it's a very math driven design that doesn't really sell the visceral that we are going for. So let's put a pin in proc scalar related ideas and instead try to focus on ideas that would legitimately change your gameplay experience as much as possible.

Also the goal of our legendaries in the long run is "Game changing not game breaking". We wouldn't make something that say increased the damage of your primary spell by 500% or made you invinvible 90% of the time. It's fun to be powerful but we still want players to feel engaged by the game.

What about items that modify completely the way a spell works IE turning arcane orb into frozen orb ;)

No wai- Don't leave like this :(
Reply Quote
deleted
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 3/14/2013 4:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

So items like the ones I designed - the second post on the page 24 of this very thread - have no future? Not even the ideas behind them? Sad barbarela =(

The link to them in case you haven't seen them Travis:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8156835610?page=24#461
Reply Quote
View profile

I agree with this notion for sure...

Did anything I posted earlier make the consideration list???

Or perhaps "end game" feeling items such as Bul-Kathos's Legion Set?

I'd love to see "Cleave" be a more useful skill so that we can take use of "full-fury" passives...
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 3/13/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Travis Day

I don't feel sad any more killing Treasure Goblins......
Reply Quote

I think you need to start a suggestion thread with the kind of statement that's in the last paragraph. Too many people are completely missing the point about what the affix suggestions should being moving towards.

Linear, unique affixes... Not 100%+ damage/resists/speed/etc. affixes. Not that those bonuses are entirely off limits, but many people are solely focused on them and usually with outrageous values.

We have those affixes in game already, people. Borrrring. Think of/borrow/steal different affix ideas.

Two examples from my post in here:

Holy Enemy - 3-5 Dodges in a row spawns the Holy Enemy. The apparition will continuously heal you for 300-500 HP every second for 30-45s. At the end of the duration, the Holy Enemy will turn on the player and have a 5%-20% chance to be an elite mob.

Holy Enemy roll example: 4 Dodges - 372 Heal - 41 seconds - 9% chance at elite mob

---

Quicksand - Ranged attacks have a 1-3% chance to sink enemies into the ground for 5-10s and they are unable to melee. Once enemies are able to move, their melee damage is decreased by 10-25% for 10-20s. Affix can stack up to 6%.

Quicksand roll example: 2% proc chance - Enemy sinks for 9 seconds - Melee damage decrease of 16% for 14s.

---

They still convey power, but are more linear than vertical. They are also potentially ideas that make people say "cool" and focus on the utility instead of straight-up power. Utility means all items can be more useful.
Edited by Jason#1250 on 3/13/2013 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

Good to hear some of the staff at Blizzard take time out of their free time to do work on Diablo 3. Doesn't seem like an often occurrence over there, they're lucky to have someone with the work ethic you possess.

As far as game changing and not game breaking goes, please implement a 2h daibo thats useful and can be used to benefit spirit regeneration for tempest rush monks. It is currently one of the only viable builds that benefit from using 2h's and there is not many options at this point besides skorn, which does not offer any benefits as far spirit regeneration goes on the item itself.
Edited by ImmortalKing#1296 on 3/13/2013 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would like to see more resource generation affixes that trigger on something other than critical hitting... What about block? or dodge? or even when a specific spell hits like:

Arcane power of Meteor is reduced by 50% for 5 seconds after casting Meteor.

If a critical mass wizard can have nearly unlimited resources, than other builds need to be able to move like that for them to be successful. Same thing with cool downs.
Reply Quote
I think what he's trying to say is that players should focus on suggesting ideas more simple-minded, thought with the intention of making the builds more diversified and fun instead of OP/efficient, and sort of in the same niche already created by the older legendaries, which sort of are:
* Chance of proccing a cool effect (such as casting a spell/skill)
* Special bonuses only found on smaller quantity or on different slots (stun, freeze, fear..., radius, elemental skill damage, reduced cost, increased critical hit chance, reduced cooldown, additional skill damage)

Example from his own post:
An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

I can also add the barbarian WT's build that became really viable with the 300th spear + WT reduction items.

Think the best to do would be taking some time studying each class and trying to come up with a nice affix that would make new builds available, even if that doesn't benefit your currently one.

Don't come with insanely OP ideas (or even worse: items), simply focus on suggesting a cool affix and maybe a sketch of how you could create a build revolving on it.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Travis Day
So let's put a pin in proc scalar related ideas and instead try to focus on ideas that would legitimately change your gameplay experience as much as possible.

^ You remind me of the one guy from the movie Bolt.
Reply Quote
I think the big thing is NOT BORING Legendaries. A legendary that increases damage to wave of light is cool, but boring. I want to consider changing my entire build when a legendary drops. For example a diabo that makes wave of light revive fallen allies (with a CD of course). Or boots that have a small chance for lashing tail kick to kick an enemy off the map. Things like that. That would make me say :this daibo is perfect for multiplayer uber runs. THe damage doesnt matter because now im a medic. Cool things....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]