Diablo® III

WW Barbs - 2.85APS Breakpoint worth it???

Hey guys,

I'm only 16% IAS away from the 2.85 APS breakpoint on both weapons. What this means is I'll have to roll a 7-8% IAS amulet and replace my IK Helm with Mempo's. The Mempo part is easy, I can pick up a 250+ Str mempo for cheap. The hard part is crafting or buying the amulet, which could be a costly or time consuming exercise either way.

My question is: is it worth it to pursue the 2.85 APS breakpoint? Did you notice a meaningful increase in DPS/Lifesteal/Fury gen? Did you feel like it was god mode?

The alternative is to drop one of my rings (probably the Massacre Band) and get a higher crit/CD/str/avg damage ring instead to boost overall dps that way, and stay at the 2.5 APS breakpoint.

My profile is below. My basic stats are: 300k dps buffed, 485 resist all, 65k HP.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Blayze-1534/hero/1775555

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
It's subjective. If I have your gear, I'd most certainly go for it, provided I don't lose too much All Resist and Vitality. Since you're already at 64k, that would be easier. I can also see you replacing your Archon chest with an IK (obviously) to get the 2 part bonus by changing your IK helm to Mempo. Your Resistance (409) is borderline acceptable (in my opinion), so getting a WH would highly depend on your preferences and playstyle (and budget too). You'd also want to take note that it will be much harder upgrade to more dps upon reaching the 10 tps breakpoint. You'd want to get CD from your the gears that spawns them. That means trifecta items, which means expensive. You also might want to consider wearing a Stone of Jordan too, so that affects the planning quite a bit :D

You might also want to consult http://www.d3rawr.com/d too to get a better picture of your future barb. :D

You might also want to get more first hand information too by getting a frenzy shrine. It will bring you up a breakpoint :D
Edited by Riffmaster#1749 on 3/7/2013 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
compare your current gear with your new gear if you replace your helm and amulet using www.d3rawr.com

Should let you know if it's an upgrade or not. I had to move so much gear around to hit it that I ended up with less tDPS and when I played, it felt worse so I reverted to the 2.5 breakpoint.
Reply Quote
have you tried a cold soj?
play with it once and you'll never go back.
prob stay at 2.5 after that since you lose one slot of attack speed.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys great feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I've already tried out various combinations on d3rawr and in the end the tdps is pretty close (slight edge to the 2.5APS/Higher CD route). In the end though, it really depends on how lucky I get with rolls, what I can afford to buy, etc. so it's hard to predict these things with any accuracy.

What I really wanted was to get a sense for how it feels to be at the 2.85 breakpoint (whether its a noticeable difference) from other barbs who've gone for it, and MasterPUA - that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Riff - great suggestion on the frenzy shrine, I hadn't thought of that. The IK chest will come eventually... just need to figure out what my next move is first.

I'm just so close to the 2.85 breakpoint that I feel like I owe it to myself to try it out, but at the same time, it's going to be a costly experiment unless I'm willing to make big dps sacrifices to get IAS.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.
Edited by Blayze#1534 on 3/7/2013 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
With respect to the cold SOJ, I already tried it. It was nice for the elite dps, but generally speaking it wasn't nice enough to lure me away from all the benefits (both dps and ehp) that I get from a regular ring.

I think the SOJ is really only hugely beneficial for MP10 ubers, which I don't do much to be honest... regular elite packs that I farm in MP7 go down pretty fast that any additional killing speed is pretty negligible for me. The EF fear is no issue for me whatsoever, so the cold doesn't give me much benefit.
Reply Quote
if you want good gear, put in the time and effort to craft because you will save so much gold vs. using the AH. i dont know how much exactly i spent crafting, but i know for sure it wasnt anywhere near 100 million. i woudn't have the dps i have now if i didnt spend the time crafting. dont think about how much time you're wasting, think about how much you'll be saving. crafted items are godly.

to answer your question: yes it is worth it.
how else are you going to increase dps?
fury was never an issue for me. for me, hitting this bp was all about hitting mobs harder and faster.
one thing i did run into was i went from a 3%LS EF to a 2.7% LS EF. i do notice it, but will soon get used to it. either that or increase my defense so it doesnt bother me. i like to face tank mobs.
Edited by MiSo#1464 on 3/7/2013 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
if you want good gear, put in the time and effort to craft because you will save so much gold vs. using the AH. i dont know how much exactly i spent crafting, but i know for sure it wasnt anywhere near 100 million. i woudn't have the dps i have now if i didnt spend the time crafting. dont think about how much time you're wasting, think about how much you'll be saving. crafted items are godly.

to answer your question: yes it is worth it.
how else are you going to increase dps?
i didn't have any fury issue, i have plenty LS. for me, hitting this bp was all about hitting mobs harder and faster.

Jesus christ, you have some of the godliest crafts I've ever seen on all 3 slots!

How many total crafts did it take for the amy/gloves/shoulders?

With respect to your answer to my question, the alternative to hitting the higher BP is to stack CD instead at the lower BP. Did you consider that route before going for the 2.85 APS? What made you decide to go for the upper BP instead?
Edited by Blayze#1534 on 3/7/2013 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
That's a crazy ammy craft, Miso! O_O
Reply Quote
wow ! can I borrow your Blacksmith. I have crafted more than 2000 pieces since patch and I am nowhere close.
Edited by Pieton#1365 on 3/7/2013 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
i've been very lucky. i think i'm around 700-800 total crafts now.
ammy in about 160 tries, shoulders around 175, gloves around 275.
currently trying to roll a chest... i doubt it'll be easy to replace the one i have, but if i quit trying i will never know.

i know 1 person who've crafted just as much as me, maybe even more, and still doesn't have even 1 usable item. (super unlucky)

I didn't consider CD over APS because the order of importance to me was CC, IAS, and CD. i liked the perma wrath but could only sustain it with the ww build. maybe if i was a hota barb, i would feel different. there's some great hota guys out there that puts my dmg to shame. the big crits are nice, but i couldn't do key runs as quickly because i'd lose wotb. so i put a lot of effort into getting as much ias as i could. this made it possible to do key runs on 1 wob. sometimes 2 if i wasn't as lucky. being able to get to a mob and extend the wotb timer was my #1 focus. if i was able to do the big crits and keep wotb up, i'd be all over it. but my hota skills suck.

i said fury wasn't an issue in my first post. i want to clarify that. even when i had zero ias on gear, i never ran out of fury when fighting mobs. but getting more ias let me gain fury faster, so i can dump fury faster, and extend the wotb time better.
Edited by MiSo#1464 on 3/7/2013 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks guys great feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I've already tried out various combinations on d3rawr and in the end the tdps is pretty close (slight edge to the 2.5APS/Higher CD route). In the end though, it really depends on how lucky I get with rolls, what I can afford to buy, etc. so it's hard to predict these things with any accuracy.

What I really wanted was to get a sense for how it feels to be at the 2.85 breakpoint (whether its a noticeable difference) from other barbs who've gone for it, and MasterPUA - that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Riff - great suggestion on the frenzy shrine, I hadn't thought of that. The IK chest will come eventually... just need to figure out what my next move is first.

I'm just so close to the 2.85 breakpoint that I feel like I owe it to myself to try it out, but at the same time, it's going to be a costly experiment unless I'm willing to make big dps sacrifices to get IAS.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Borrow gear that would allow you to hit the breakpoint and uhhh... give it a whirl. If it feels better, go for it. I still have some of the items I used with IAS to hit the next breakpoint so if you want, you can add me in-game and try it out. This way you'll know if it's worth the investment.
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 10:44 PMPosted by MasterPUA
Borrow gear that would allow you to hit the breakpoint and uhhh... give it a whirl. If it feels better, go for it. I still have some of the items I used with IAS to hit the next breakpoint so if you want, you can add me in-game and try it out. This way you'll know if it's worth the investment.

That would be amazing if you wouldn't mind. I'll add you tomorrow. Great suggestion, thanks.
Reply Quote
Hey guys one other question, this applies more to the HOTA users.

If I got sick of WW and wanted to try out a HOTA build down the line, which of these 2 setups would be better suited? the 2.83 high APS one, or the 2.5 APS high Crit Damage one?
Reply Quote
I just wanted to chime in I love 2.857 Breakpoint =)
Reply Quote
I am both HOTA (for ubers and mp10) and WW (for farming and low mps) barb. 2.85 is pretty much the requirement for me to keep wotb up, and I normally even go to 3.0 for farming.
One fun fact though, I found that HOTA requires pretty much all the attack speed you can muster, breakpoints don't even apply as much as ww does.
Reply Quote
Thanks Tomdal,

It sounds like going for the 2.85 breakpoint has the added benefit of being more synergistic with the HOTA build if i decide try something else other than WW later on.
Reply Quote
Hey , i think its 2.87, dont mess up!!
Reply Quote
I mean, the game rounds the numbers, u can have 2.86 and still be below BP, if u aim for 2.87, u should be fine, else u got to do calculations manually.
Reply Quote
I am both HOTA (for ubers and mp10) and WW (for farming and low mps) barb. 2.85 is pretty much the requirement for me to keep wotb up, and I normally even go to 3.0 for farming.
One fun fact though, I found that HOTA requires pretty much all the attack speed you can muster, breakpoints don't even apply as much as ww does.

3.0 isnt a breakpoint for WW. Its 2.857 then 3.333333
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]