Diablo® III

MP10 Solo Farming Build. Tried and True.

MP 7-10 Solo Farming Build. btw If you don't like reading, scroll to the bottom for TLDNR version...

My favorite MP to farm is MP7. It's fast kills, decent key and demonic essence drop % and I don't really have to pay much attention while the place is getting face rolled. With the build I've been using things simply die FAST.

I've been working on perfecting the build to be viable for MP10 as well. When I would switch to MP10, I found myself having to kite FAR too much, and I was dying a few times (partially due to my low amount of HP). Dying (ever) is inefficient and unacceptable, so I set out to find a solution. And I found one.

After much trial and error, I've come up with a few options that make this build MP10 ready. I was determined to make my build work, adding survivability, without losing too much damage. I wanted to be certain this build is MP10 worthy, so I made sure to test this on all Acts, multiple keys runs, Ubers, even candy land (with zero deaths). And I did it with my red gem in helm, therefore only having 40k HP. I didn't want to waste your time with something that is not tried and true. If you have more HP than I do (and you should) then it's even better.

Here we go...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UPhkgV!eXg!YcZcYb

Cluster Arrows Loaded for bear. Big booms, huge crits. This makes everything in front of you die fast. This is where the bulk of your DPS is going to come from. One awesome thing about Cluster arrows (besides the damage) is it doesn't get slowed by the slow bubble (Act 2 KW, or Zoltun Kulle). You click, and bam... Hits the target. I found this also better (than spike traps) against enemies that would jump around or teleport past your spike traps. With this, there is no escape. They just get jacked in the face.

Stun Grenades (This was the key component I was missing between MP7 and MP10). For MP7 or below, I use tinkerer for hatred regen (more Cluster Arrows). Stun grenades provides less hatred regen, which in turn would provide slightly less DPS, but the survivability increases dramatically Much needed for higher MP levels. You are taking FAR less damage with stun grenades. If you have a jack ton of HP and a lot of resist, you might not need stun grenades. Try back and forth between tinkerer and stun, to see which you like better. For Ubers do NOT use stun grenades. Make sure you switch to tinkerer.

Companion: Bat. Here you have an option. If you want more survivability, go with the boar. But I found my boar kept dying, fairly easily (especially on higher MP levels). So I decided to go with the invulnerable bat, for hatred regen and not worry about it.

Guardian Turret. You take less damage, and the small amount of DPS from the turrets help a little bit. When you do Ubers, you won't need this. Replace it with Marked for death (Mortal Enemy).

Gloom Do I really need to discuss this one? And as long as you are specced for nightstalker and have around 2+ APS with 40+ crit chance, you should be at perma gloom status. (even at 30 disc)

Prep-battle scars 99.999% of the time I never even need this. Gloom is always up, thanks to nightstalker procs. If I ever get REALLY low on health, one cluster shot with gloom on and I'm back to full health. But when I actually do need this... I NEED IT. It's just all around a good insurance policy to have, in case you screw up your rotation or overshoot your gloom (which can happen in cases like the Seige fight, if you aren't careful). It's also a great extra heal when things get rough.

Passives:

Archery Bigger crits (or more crit chance, if you are using a 1 hander). More damage. Self explanatory. If you need more survivability, drop this for numbing traps. In fact, doing this will cause your DPS to go down a little bit, but your survivability will skyrocket. I prefer more damage, but when I use numbing traps, MP10 becomes borderline faceroll.

Nightstalker For permagloom. Disc regen is off the chain with this. It's the backbone of this DH tank build.

Grenadier This passive covers the two main attacks of this build (grenades and cluster arrows)... So it's just too juicy to pass up. +2 additional hatred per grenade -10 hatred cost for Cluster Arrow.

So if you feel froggy, give this one a shot. Works well for me, and it has for quite a while now (been using it [or a variation] since about paragon 35 - even when I had half the damage I have now). A few things that can make this build even juicier, is a Stone of Jordan with fire damage (again covers both grenades AND cluster), 30% elite damage, and grenade damage or -5 cluster cost. Also, a dead man's legacy with a -5 cluster cost (That's going to be one of my next upgrades)

Anyway, if you try it out, let me know what you think.

Good luck and have fun!

TLDNR: Cluster (loaded for bear), Stun (or tinkerer) Grenades, bat, guardian turret, gloom, battlescars, archery (or numbing traps), nightstalker, and grenadier. Worked great for MP7-10, it might work great for you.

Edit: One thing I forgot to add that helps tremendously with survivability while solo grinding... Give your Scoundrel a Windforce. Between your stuns and his knockback, you are taking very little damage.
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 6:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Interesting spec. Did you tend to face tank or kite while running this?
Reply Quote
This is a variation of an old 1.03 DH build, mortal enemy cluster arrow spamming and guardian turrets for safety. Except back then we used gas grenades since they had a killer proc rate before they got nerfed along with tinkerer with grenadier passive. Miss those old gas grenades, stun grenades work though, not so well for ubers stun bola is better for them.

A lot of the old builds from 1.0 - 1.03 still work for higher MP's since they were made when the enemies hit harder than MP10 does now and had tons of HP also. But then again some of what made some of those builds so good was they were pre nerfs.

One of the most underrated and powerful skills we have had for keeping things at bay during the "o crap" moments was rain of vengeance stampede. It was a mandatory skill back in pre 1.04 when inferno was a lot harder. I would swap out the bat for that and hit stampede if things got too close and hot. But it's basically the same old pre inferno nerf build many DH used that still works today somewhat.

Hopefully blizzard has some buffs around the corner for us but who knows, I'm shelving my DH for now, hit 100 swapped on over to my barb and demonic essence farming has never been easier lol. Feels good to play easy mode haha
Edited by METATRON#1945 on 3/9/2013 5:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 05:07 AMPosted by Tropicalypso

It's pure face tank. The closer, the better. The more mobs in front of you the better. In fact, the only "kiting" that is needed, is every once in a while you need to casually step away from "the green stuff" or the arcane beams <- you can even ignore those, if you keep gloom up. Besides that, it's basically pop gloom, guardian turret and smash all things in front of you. Always keeping gloom up, and popping another turret when it comes available. Very simple, very High DPS and high survivability.
Reply Quote

Hopefully blizzard has some buffs around the corner for us but who knows, I'm shelving my DH for now, hit 100 swapped on over to my barb and demonic essence farming has never been easier lol. Feels good to play easy mode haha

I'm hoping for a few buffs myself. I think a few things need to be rethought of. For one, the companions that can die... For instance, the boar is great for lower MP levels, but he simply does not survive in any semi-hot situation in higher MPs, rendering him nearly worthless. Companions should probably scale a little better than they currently do. (maybe give them a % based on your character's HP/armor).

Even though I love cluster arrow, I still think it could use a buff as well.. either in damage or hatred cost. Spike Trap for instance, is still much more efficient in terms of hatred cost per damage. My only problem with spike trap was with certain fights like Zoltun and other unpredictable mobs that would teleport, or move too much. I wanted a build that worked for every single fight. That's why I love this build so much. I don't really need to change much when switching from key farming to Ubers.

There are a lot of other powers that I think could use some buffs to make them more appealing (like chakram).

I too am looking forward to trying new characters.. My goal first is to join the 100 club with this guy first (and hopefully one day get in the top 10 in the world on damage... I'm a LONG way off though lol)
Reply Quote
I forgot to add, One thing that helps tremendously with survivability with this build, while solo grinding... Give your Scoundrel a Windforce. Between your stuns and his knockback, you are taking very little damage.
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 6:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Buriza +multishot scoundrel + Star of Azubyduubbywhateveritscalled amulet >>> Windforce
Reply Quote
Yes, this seems the same idea as the 'Bollocks' build I've been using for the last few. Even with my low DPS , I can facetank up to around MP7.
My mods are: use Bola Stun on left mouse, keep your finger down all the time and use Cluster Grenades on right mouse, spam it as fast as possible at the same time.
With Gloom up, Stalker up both attack skills are virtually free and you can just spam until everything dies.
I use Bait the trap to up my DPS and Guard Sentry for the shield and DPS. Vault when you get overwhelmed by lasers or poison but it's rare. Also nearly 5000 armour probably helps. Scoundrel with Windforce does really help too.
All the spamming does give you repetitive strain injuries though..
Reply Quote
Yes, this seems the same idea as the 'Bollocks' build I've been using for the last few. Even with my low DPS , I can facetank up to around MP7.
My mods are: use Bola Stun on left mouse, keep your finger down all the time and use Cluster Grenades on right mouse, spam it as fast as possible at the same time.
With Gloom up, Stalker up both attack skills are virtually free and you can just spam until everything dies.
I use Bait the trap to up my DPS and Guard Sentry for the shield and DPS. Vault when you get overwhelmed by lasers or poison but it's rare. Also nearly 5000 armour probably helps. Scoundrel with Windforce does really help too.
All the spamming does give you repetitive strain injuries though..

The build you are describing is completely different.

The build I'm discussing is using cluster arrows (not to be confused with cluster grenades, which is what you are using). And I have to admit, I don't think I've ever seen someone use two hatred generators as their main attacks. But if that works for you, then great! I think you would be able to increase your MP level tremendously by switching one of those hatred generators with a hatred user, to make things die quicker.. Especially for elites.. For instance, Spike trap works amazing with bola shot (for distance/kite builds). Or if you want to stick with grenades, Cluster arrows works well with them, and the passive (Grenadier) helps both (works great for DH tank builds).

Or bola stun, with cluster arrow stun for a good stunlocking build.. Or a stun grenade with stun cluster arrow.. the options are nearly endless. But a good balance would be to have 1 hatred generator and 1 hatred user for main attacks.

I think you will increase your game tremendously by adding a hatred spender. Just my opinion.
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey I like the idea, was just working one out myself, just uses the elemental stun instead. Sorry I posted one right above you and I didn't even see this. Nice build though, good thinking.
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 08:57 AMPosted by tBAG88
Hey I like the idea, was just working one out myself, just uses the elemental stun instead. Sorry I posted one right above you and I didn't even see this. Nice build though, good thinking.

That's what it's all about.. passing back and forth ideas and helping each other try to improve our game.
Reply Quote
I too have made home at MP7 Act3 solo... it's the best and most enjoyable MP for me atm.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/09/2013 06:00 AMPosted by DonnyCage

It's pure face tank. The closer, the better. The more mobs in front of you the better. In fact, the only "kiting" that is needed, is every once in a while you need to casually step away from "the green stuff" or the arcane beams <- you can even ignore those, if you keep gloom up. Besides that, it's basically pop gloom, guardian turret and smash all things in front of you. Always keeping gloom up, and popping another turret when it comes available. Very simple, very High DPS and high survivability.

How well do the stun grenades proc your Nightstalker? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a big fan of Cluster Grenades)
Reply Quote
Stun nades don't proc enough to make me feel comfortable. Bola is minimal for me to feel comfortable, Cluster Nades and I can do no wrong
Reply Quote

How well do the stun grenades proc your Nightstalker? (Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a big fan of Cluster Grenades)

Stun grenades work great for nighstalker proc.. I'm never ever starved for disc. Gloom is up 100% of the time, and I only have 30 disc.. It's all about having enough crit chance, and of course attack speed. As long as your crit chance is above 40% and attacks per second 2+, then you should be good for perma gloom (regardless of your nades of choice)
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
But if you want to use cluster grenades, and still want the survivability, then you can use cluster grenades instead of stun grenades, and then use numbing traps instead of archery. You drop a little bit of damage, but in turn add a LOT of survivability.

If you have plenty of HP and all resist, and don't need as much survivability, then you may not need numbing traps or stun grenades. Archery and cluster grenades.

I personally would prefer my MP7 build (same thing except tinkerer instead of stun)... But I simply had to add survivability in some way. I wanted to do so, without losing too much DPS. Stun nades gives me just enough. Stun nades + Numbing traps is faceroll. Just slightly slower though.
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Donny,

I just tried it out for my usual run (strafe MP0 in a3). I did it in MP7 and I find this build is pretty good vs. elites. However, the biggest issue I have is the fact that it takes so long to kill the white mobs that it renders my run SUPER slow. I'm guessing this is more for farming keys and organs because I'm sure my exp rate is real low.

I'm wondering if it is because I don't know how to use the stun grenades properly... I just spam it whenever I see monsters, then right click for the cluster arrow. Or maybe it is because my atk speed isn't high enough (or dps for that matter). Not to mention I sometimes miss with my cluster arrow since the monsters jump around and I have to aim.

Any ideas would be helpful because I find my usual HA/spike trap build is actually faster. I use vault, tact adv, sentry, bat, night stalker, and archery. I don't really die either using that build and I can kite if needed.
Edited by Luooo#1181 on 3/9/2013 9:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Donny,

I just tried it out for my usual run (strafe MP0 in a3). I did it in MP7 and I find this build is pretty good vs. elites. However, the biggest issue I have is the fact that it takes so long to kill the white mobs that it renders my run SUPER slow. I'm guessing this is more for farming keys and organs because I'm sure my exp rate is real low.

I'm wondering if it is because I don't know how to use the stun grenades properly... I just spam it whenever I see monsters, then right click for the cluster arrow. Or maybe it is because my atk speed isn't high enough (or dps for that matter). Not to mention I sometimes miss with my cluster arrow since the monsters jump around and I have to aim.

Any ideas would be helpful because I find my usual HA/spike trap build is actually faster. I use vault, tact adv, sentry, bat, night stalker, and archery. I don't really die either using that build and I can kite if needed.

You have plenty of DPS. To speed up the run, I would switch it to tinkerer so you can have faster regen for cluster arrows. (Really the whole build is surrounded around popping out as many custer arrows as fast as possible.) The only reason to use stun grenades is if you are requiring more survivability. With your gear, I doubt you are having trouble surviving on MP7, so the run will speed up tremendously with tinkerer. I don't switch to stun grenades unless I'm doing MP10.

I like spike traps too. One of my favorite builds is jagged spikes, Spike Traps Echo, and Bola Shot... The reason I made the switch to the build I'm using now, is because cluster arrow doesn't get slowed by Slow Bubble (ie: KW2, Zoltun), it's also easier to manage perma gloom. And several types of mobs (including Zoltun Kulle) moved too much around my spike traps. I basically wanted a build that covered every base. The only thing I really have to change from farming keys to Ubers is the Guardian turret (Marked for Death instead).
Edited by DonnyCage#1757 on 3/9/2013 9:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Tried the spec, not as geared as you though but its pretty good. kudos.
Reply Quote
View profile
I gave this a shot yesterday, and I loved the build.

However, due to my slower attack speed, the Stun Grenades weren't proc'ing enough Disc for me to keep alive. So I swapped them out for Cluster Grenades, and I was far more comfortable (I went with Numbing Traps for the survivability)

Basically, it felt like a more mobile tank/trap build. Sure, CA isn't as efficient as the Spike Traps, but it was nice to have immediate impact when I fired them.

I did 3 MP10 CotA runs, and was pretty comfortable. Following this, I literally cruised through a MP7 Act 3 run. It's fun to get surrounded by trash mobs, pop M4D, and just have everything around you disintegrate with a round or two of CA.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]