Diablo® III

Trade chat - Economy is screwed

Talking in trade chats today, the general consensus is that the economy is royally screwed now. No one is buying and many complaining about not being able to sell.

of course there will be people coming into this thread stating the opposite but I highly suspect they are the minority and/or not being truthful. I went into like 10 different trade chats today to get a pulse of how things are selling, asking people questions.

Things are not selling, people are not buying. That is the complaint I have heard the most. Not saying it is good or bad either, just pointing out that the economy is very very stale now.

Is that a good or bad thing though? Do people want a healthy economy or do they just want it to die?
Reply Quote
View profile
Stuffs selling, just not ammys, shoulders or gloves. Decent weapons certain legendaries, most set pieces and alot of rings are.

Price you items competitively and they will move.
Reply Quote
View profile
Prices have been falling pretty sharply since the patch. One problem is that without an item sink, the bar for how good gear has to be for it to be in demand is constantly getting higher. Without an influx of new players there's less and less people buying low to mid tier gear, which means those items lose value while high tier items only continue to get more expensive.

This game desperately needed a viable item sink, but I have no idea how they can add one now without pissing off everyone who dual wields credit cards.
Reply Quote
03/10/2013 01:32 PMPosted by RagingKoala
Reply Quote
The problem is that people have not adjusted to the reality that prices have dropped. Things which used to sell easily at 50M will now take months to sell. However, price that down to 50K you'll sell immediately.

What this tells you is: lower your prices. Prices have fallen drastically, the problem is that people have latched on to a specific price, and are now saying that if they can't sell at that price that the economy is broken. Bad news, it's not broken, it's working perfectly, it's just that we're in the midst of a massive deflationary period.
Reply Quote
The problem is item's value is going down, while gold price is going down as well. Tooooo many Bot in the game, and BLZ just leave them alone.
Reply Quote
Prices have been falling pretty sharply since the patch. One problem is that without an item sink, the bar for how good gear has to be for it to be in demand is constantly getting higher. Without an influx of new players there's less and less people buying low to mid tier gear, which means those items lose value while high tier items only continue to get more expensive.

This game desperately needed a viable item sink, but I have no idea how they can add one now without pissing off everyone who dual wields credit cards.

This right here. The problem has nothing to do with the implementation of itemization, though I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement on that front. The core of the issue, which was actually present to an extent in D2 (for non runeword gear) but largely mitigated by the fact that the most valuable items (high runes and SOJs) had effective sinks in the form of runewords and Uber Diablo, is the fact that there is no way for good gear to be removed from the game other than a player consciously choosing to destroy it by salvaging it or vendoring it. As long as this is the case, supply will always dwarf demand for all but the highest level items, and prices will continue to fall.

I'm actually working on a post for an idea for an item sink that centers around charms and the talisman that was in the game early in development, which I should be publishing in a few days.
Reply Quote
This is not completely true

Things dont sell as they used to but that's because most people already have their decent items, this means that most people are looking for the more expensive (and rare) upgrades. The steady drop in people playing d3 plays into this factor, making lower quality items simply stale.

Whats worse is that people refuse to lower their prices to adjust for the fact that their stuff is no longer as valuable, which should be what should happen, instead they try to sell at prices near what a mid range item was worth 6 months ago. Of course you don't sell anything if you are unwilling to lower your price to what the market is willing to purchase it at.

All of this is amplified by the severely bad itemization issues the game has which means that what is worth selling is so rare we all we will have left are either extremely cheap items or extremely expensive ones (for those lucky few). Even if you create a new character its likely the items you already got can be used across multiple classes and builds (lacunis, vile ward, witching hour, taskers) making buying multiple items unnecessary and a waste.
Reply Quote
03/10/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Ginko
A healthy economy would come as a result of a healthy player base and a solid game design. Unfortunately Diablo III is lacking some in those departments.

This is 100% true to the bone.

You can buy ik chest for 1m gold and very nice gear in every other slot for 1m because there are hundreds of thousands if not millions less players than even 6 weeks ago.

That 3 month itemization update was a nail in the coffin. Thats a 3 week announcement at most, not 3 months.

Prices have fallen to nothing since then. It's sad really .... I see no point in playing until changes are made. That post rendered everything you can do between now and then worthless aside from leveling paragon.

P.S. You can buy 1b (1,000,000,000 gold) for $50.00USD which is 4-5 hours of any job in the US or you can spend 200-400 hours farming it. This just further proves the point.
Edited by Chop#1729 on 3/10/2013 1:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Stuffs selling, just not ammys, shoulders or gloves. Decent weapons certain legendaries, most set pieces and alot of rings are.

No they will not. That is not the feedback I have gotten from many players. Stuff is not selling. Compound that with market saturation and farming for drops that are dropping every few weeks. I am not really complaining here, just how it is.

Hell, maybe I am complaining, I got my money's worth from this game but it is probably time to move on. Very stale atm. Yes i know it this game is all about the farming, my farm just isnt producing and the crops are dying.

Thanks to Blizz for making a game that kept me interested this long, like I said..i got my moneys worth. Lot of games out there that are competing for my attention.
Reply Quote
I enter the trade chats and I'm the only one in it.... And there'll be a constant <20 people in every general chat i enter. I wonder if it's a location thing?
Reply Quote

That 3 month itemization update was a nail in the coffin. Thats a 3 week announcement at most, not 3 months.

Prices have fallen to nothing since then. It's sad really .... I see no point in playing until changes are made. That post rendered everything you can do between now and then worthless aside from leveling paragon.

This.

Frankly leveling your character is the only sane thing to do if anything, the economy will continue going down and at this rate gold will be worth nothing and the majority of all items except a select few will be worth less than nothing.
Reply Quote
i think i was in your chat channel earlier.

it all started off with:

playerx: wts [insert mediocre gloves here] 20m
... crickets chirp.
15 minutes later
playery: wts [insert mediocre ammy here] 20m
playerz; lol wts [crafting essence x5] 20m

6 months or so ago, either the gloves or ammy would probably have fetched that much (but not instantly, maybe after 2 weeks of floating the AH)
but now, nobody wants to accept that the item they bought for millions is now only worth vendor value.

and @ chop, idc how much 1b gold costs, i have never and will never buy gold for ANY game. nor will i ever support the rmah.
Reply Quote

No they will not. That is not the feedback I have gotten from many players. Stuff is not selling. Compound that with market saturation and farming for drops that are dropping every few weeks. I am not really complaining here, just how it is.

Hell, maybe I am complaining, I got my money's worth from this game but it is probably time to move on. Very stale atm. Yes i know it this game is all about the farming, my farm just isnt producing and the crops are dying.

Thanks to Blizz for making a game that kept me interested this long, like I said..i got my moneys worth. Lot of games out there that are competing for my attention.

You misread the parent. Stuff is not selling at old prices. Price it competitively, and you will sell. Competitively means at 10% of the price that others are asking. Seriously, try it, you will sell.

Consider how many people are setting prices like 100M start 100M buyout. Those people are all complaining that items are not selling, because those are the old prices. Instead, try 1M start, 100M buyout, and you'll find out what the new price on that item is.
Edited by Surt#1179 on 3/10/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
That's because more and more gear keeps accumulating in the game. For every person who wants to buy, say, a Dead Man's Legacy, there are 20 trying to be sold.

You can't nerf the drop rates because that will make the game boring as hell (the drops rates are already pretty shakey, let's be honest).

The game needs an item sink. I think a ladder system like Diablo 2 could go a long ways. People who are interested in the economy, and people who like this type of ladder, would play that. People who don't, well, this would not affect them.
Reply Quote
Any economic system is based on availability and demand. The issue is that there are certain pieces of gear that are BiS for every class and those pieces are what everyone wants. Drop rates with MP and NV affect availability to the point where the rare BiS is increasingly common, but demand isn't increasing due to both the player base shrink and players leaving the market because they no longer need an item upgrade.

The only way for the economy to evolve in a state where availability has increased and demand has decreased is to either 1) adjust pricing to align with demand 2) hold inventory until demand surpasses availability or 3) introduce a new "product" - ie. new BiS gear - into the system that is in greater demand that what is available.

We can't accomplish the last option; only Blizz can, which they need to do. Immediately. The only solution for the player is to realize that those Vile Wards that would have flown out the door for 45M two months ago are only going to fetch a few million today. Or hold on to them and hope the market realigns to a more favorable market for sellers. And the option to let the AH work in your favor with a low starting bid and no buyout can be viable. Yes, you may not hit your target on some but you may be surprised what other pieces end up netting you in a fierce bidding war.
Reply Quote
As time goes on the players will adapt, and the prices they sell and can buy stuff at will drop significantly; only maxed out items will stay expensive and those will turn themselves into luxury items or jackpot for the people who got a nice drop.

Meanwhile other methods of adquiring gear will shine as this happens, particularly if we get other crafting venues to gold sink and get end game gear easier than buying that 500m gold legendary you have out there. Even those could come down in price drastically as new items are introduced if Blizz is successful with the item changes.

In the end, and as others have pointed out, is completely normal and is just a period of deflation the market is experiencing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]