Diablo® III

Won Khim Lau and Top Tier Monks

Why do most top tier monks not use WKL?
Is it because the "Lightning attacks %" is not figured into overall stats, thus keeping WKL users not ranked as highly?
I think it's one of the most amazing weapons in game, and according to my calculations, all LS rare weapons would be a DPS loss.

Your thoughts?
Reply Quote
It confines your skill choices to lightning types. The current WoL buff moves away from lightning focus. Gearing for generic play style adds more choices, and changing builds bring in the fun element to this grinding game.

There is so much more to the Monk's class than FoT and SW:Cyclone. Just my 2cents.
Reply Quote
Says the guy that uses FoT and SW:Cyclone!!!! LULZ x a million

Seriously, since we ALL use FoT/Cyclones, WKL should be the go to weapon choice

and Paul, Combo Strike w/ 3 spenders, spamming MoC/Overawe = much more damage than bells. I tried bells, a lot
Edited by Azakiah#1996 on 3/11/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wkl stumps your paper dps, top tiers probably have a wkl in their inventory to switch into when they actually play lol
Reply Quote
I think the main reason is because it isn't represented accurately on diabloprogress and sites like that. I rank around top 200 U.S. Monk DPS with my previous weapon (which was an EF) but with my WKL that dps is obliterated, but doesn't show properly.

Meto5000s spreadsheet had me around 2.3 million to 2.4 million edps, where as with WKL im at 3.1 million edps.
Reply Quote
How can you measure edps with the EF? Surely its crap with that fear... Why do all top tiers monks have them? For e-peen purposes?
Reply Quote
I would think that the ability to have CD/Socket/LS on a weapon with higher DPS would potentially outperform WKL with LS/Socket for many people. Particularly if using black weapons with 4-piece Inna's or SOJ which do not confer as large a bonus to WKL.
Reply Quote

and Paul, Combo Strike w/ 3 spenders, spamming MoC/Overawe = much more damage than bells. I tried bells, a lot

No we don't ALL use FoT/Cyclones. I have 2H builds, 1H+shield, items in stash, and for me bells increase my eDPS by a lot more than FoT/Cyclones. I can choose to include or exclude FoT and/or SW. It all depends on the mood, the objectives and the play style. I didn't ask for your comments, I'm just answering your question. If we do not use lightning skills, WKL is worth much less (maybe same as zuni boots or inna's belt).

If you love WKL, I can respect that. But you're asking for views, and you come here and say we ALL use "..." and WKL should be ... I mean, come on, are you so set in your ways that these forums become pointless to you, your responders and readers?
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 01:11 PMPosted by Immortal
How can you measure edps with the EF

Meto's spreadsheet...
Reply Quote

If you are doing Bells wrong, sure.

But a 2hander + Guardian's Path + preferably mace but Skorns are good too + CS/DR-FS (~350k+ dps) will give you 3million+ bells - many times more than once a second. You WILL bring down elites faster than waiting on Cyclones. Not to mention, you SHOULD also be using Cyclones with WoL... so in reality you are only losing the Won Khim buff and a few extras from using a spirit-on-crit rune.

Now if you are talking about clearing trash, it's a tossup. But if you get good at positioning, in my testing even WoL can match Cyclones.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 3/11/2013 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like weapons with good base stats, and I still can get more dps with my current offhand than any WKL that isn't crazy overprice. A really good WKL is expensive and I like to bargain shop.

If I see a WKL with 80% CD , OS, and dps over 860, I would be interested .... at the right price.
Reply Quote
Honestly I use FoT:TC Cyclones WITH WoL:Empowered regardless. If you take your time with it and not constantly spam the key you'll be fine, PLUS WoL is pretty much an instant full heal.

Side note, fully buffed my WoL CAN do 3.9 mill, so you don't have to use a 2 hander to see those numbers...
Reply Quote
i'm gonna pipe in here a moment and say:

Because DPS isn't everything.

WKL undoubtedly can bring a lot to the table, however, with only 2 random rolls, i need to make a decision between EHP and DPS. I rather have both. Also, the current meta-game using high burst spirit spenders on both PvE and PvP severly hinders WKL's effectiveness.
Reply Quote

It depends what you are doing.

I can guarantee you I clear mobs on mp10 faster using my spec which doesn't use SW OR FoT.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
How can I equip a WKL when I have a Skorn in my mainhand?!

;)

Some of us sincerely prefer the 2h playstyle to the d/w playstyle.

My guess is that there is absolutely no chance you could keep up with me in MP5 VotA, we would be nearly even in MP10 CotA and you would SMOKE me for MP10 ubers.

That seems fair and fine to me!

To each his/her own.

-Druin, the happy monk

Note: I was able to hit 2.8m eDPS with my 2h setup using this spec:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#eYaSXk!Xdc!acYYba
I was in my "dps" gear which has 187k dps and does not have a WH, Mempo, Nat's or Trifecta Gloves so I assume I could get it WAY higher if I had, say, Narco's 300k unbuffed Skorn gear! :D

However, this is an unsustainable DPS in real Uber fights because FoT:Q doesn't stick you to bosses and my eHP was laughable at best. Furthermore, your sustain comes in bursts when you cast WoL and that is a terrible way to live through fights.

I would assume that Azakiah's 3.1m eDPS would be pretty much 100% up-time on real uber fights and, thus, he would obliterate my uber clear time! :D

Edit:
03/11/2013 01:34 PMPosted by blhotz
Not to mention, you SHOULD also be using Cyclones with WoL... so in reality you are only losing the Won Khim buff and a few extras from using a spirit-on-crit rune.

Actually BL, I tested this and my eDPS goes down when I use Cyclone over Inner Storm. :P

I thought FOR SURE that it would be worth using Cyclone but over many trials, eDPS went down every time.
Note: I have lower CHC than I could, it is possible that with >50% CHC this would no longer be the case as Cyclone scaled REALLY well with CHC ... but I am still >40% so it's not that crazy.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 3/11/2013 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like wkl :)

If no one likes their wkl and is an upgrade over mine, please sell me :D
Reply Quote
Azakiah, I don't think I've ever seen a build like yours.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUbgSk!XUg!aZcYca

What order do you throw the primary attacks?
Reply Quote
I enter combat and engage SW->Blazing Fists->FoT & Mantra->3 full hits of Deadly Reach

Then I quickly hit BF(just tap it) to refresh 3 stacks(15% ias) everytime i spam mantra

I also engage another round of Deadly Reach whenever i want to either refresh 30 seconds, or gain another 8%.

It allows me to run around w/ 480+ paper dps the entire time I am in combat(then I gain 23% from WKL and 48% MoC)

This combination is very easy to run, smooth and martial arts like. I have played A LOT of monk w/ many different styles. 2H and monk is just silly, the slow aps doesn't make sense w/ how we regen spirit imo. But, to each their own.
Reply Quote
I personally love my WKL. I got it for only 90m and love my build. I do understand I am limited to one build but I love the build. It's fast paced and fun. The best thing about it is it improves your dps with every upgrade. So if I get a piece that upgrades me by 1000 dps then the actual upgrade would be that. Plus the % of the WKL.
Reply Quote
View profile
I've done quite a few tests and even now unless you're one shotting stuff with a Skorn, nothing compares to a good WKL and tc+cyclone even after the WoL buff.

Druin pretty much hit the nail on the head though, DW, SnB, and 2H all have their own areas of expertise.

For dual wielding, nothing (in my eyes) compares to a CD+LS+OS rare sword for a MH with a CD+OS WKL OH though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]