Diablo® III

[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

09/07/2013 11:56 PMPosted by turfsmurf
I have 500k-ish DPS buffed Archon gear. I compared my Archon setup (improved Archon) with my sleet stormer during a few act I MP9 farm runs, measuring kills/second. Sleet storm won by slight margin. I have had much more practice with sleet storm vs. Archon, so with more practice I might be able to become more effective with Archon than with SS, but the difference for me is so small that I'll stick with sleet storm.

Wow, that's interesting intel. I don't have Archon experience, but I thought that'd be faster against trash by a decent margin, if nothing else because of range. Actually I can see how SS is competitive and even slightly faster than Archon since good SS offenses have a much higher multiplier than Archon, so once mobs do get into SS range, the kill goes faster, especially when elites are involved. Maybe your SS vs Archon kills/second even out after factoring in elite fights.

I have never played a permafreezer, but I do know that as soon as you hit that sleet storm button, creeps go splat. The other great thing about the Sleet Storm build, is that it's effectively a one-skill build with lots of options. Currently I'm playing a build that takes advantage of CM, but once that one gets nerf-battered I can always switch to Illusionist, drop EB, and try arcane mines.

For sure, SS is definitely an option offense, and packs serious punch when built right. By the way, Arcane Mines is about the only spell alternative to pair with SS that's competitive with CM/EB. Here's a 1H SS/AM Illusionist build I ran for a long time, and ran pretty well (except against Reflect archer elites). If Blizzard badly nerfs CM, I'll be ready to optimize this build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#gZQeTk!YdW!ZYabab

A side note: I don't think Blizzard will nerf CM that badly. Freeze wizards in this space fear that because they think CM is the root of the problem when, actually, it's Frost Nova. I think it's funny how the names "CM/WW" and "SNS" do not recognize FN at all, when in fact FN is more existentially significant to those builds than any other skill involved. Maybe it's a clever way to deflect the nerf bat away from FN.

I'd like to see how far you can get without throwing lots of {dollars/euros/firstborns} at it.

I think optimizing any build is going to cost some dough, but experimenting with builds isn't nearly as expensive. Speaking of which, let's friend up and play sometime.
Reply Quote
I found that frost nova with deep freeze is a considerable upgrade to my dps and survival. I don't spam lock down enemies because obviously I can't channel while doing it.. however the bonus to critical strike is remarkably increasing the consistency of the build.

The 15% increased crit chance keeps up my arcane power even on the tougher elite packs and the occasional frost nova for a breather from nasty affixes definitely helps.

More crits from my storm armor and sleet form, (which also proc the storm armor's rune which can also crit...)bringing out more explosive blasts.

Its not hard to keep up because the 15% bonus lasts 12 seconds and I can always teleport into an area for another freeze to keep it up. Even when its not giving me that buff its very nice to have a disable in a sticky situation.

I agree that FN (particularly DF) is amazing with SS. I use it myself in the 1H SS setup that you can see in my profile right now. You have to remember, though, that back when Heroscaper and I were fine-tuning this 2H SS thing, we wanted something that would be somewhat competitive with SNS for farming without relying on FN. CM+FN was the source of a lot of frustration for a lot of us back in the day because it always felt like you had to have both in order to succeed at the high end (meaning MP9-10), and we wanted to get away from that. Well, at least the FN part of it. And I think the non-FN 2H SS build we eventually settled on that uses Reactive Armor and Skorn is honestly the next best thing to SNS survivability while still maintaining good dps output. I can do VotA runs in about 5 minutes with 2H SS these days, which I think is very much on par with SNS, and I don't need FN or Wormhole to do it.

So yea... FN is a great fit for SS builds. But for those that want to get away from FN reliance, know that it's far from mandatory in a SS build at the high end if you have the proper gear to support the build.
Reply Quote
Your attack speed is causing Sleet Storm to cost 2.x its AP cost per second, so I doubt any amount of APoC alone will support a long channel. You could try tuning your skills to reduce its cost, but the real solution is to favor weapon damage over attack speed on your gear. Optimal 1H SS speed is probably closer to high 1.x. To date I don't think anyone's developed a well-rounded solution for 2.x APS SS.

I'm at 1.89 APS with my 1H SS setup in my profile and AP is a non-issue except for act bosses. I might be able to support 1 more source of IAS on gear (like a tripox) and be ok, and that should push me slightly over 2 APS.

If you want to go higher APS than that, I think the only 2 decent options would be for me to swap Astral Presence for Power Hungry, or to fit Living Lightning in somehow, neither of which I'm particularly fond of for a 1H (I LOVE Power Hungry for 2H, though).

There's one other thing that might work, but it would involve a lot of juggling around. 3 sources of APoC (helm, weapon, source), 4p tals (meaning using the belt, which you lose IAS so you'd add it back with amulet and tripox), Astral Presence, Power of the Storm. That should let you go to about 2.10 APS or so and be ok. It was something I was mulling around before I decided to stop playing until the Loot 2.0 patch comes out.
Reply Quote
09/09/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Malakai
3 sources of APoC (helm, weapon, source), 4p tals (meaning using the belt, which you lose IAS so you'd add it back with amulet and tripox), Astral Presence, Power of the Storm.

It's this, or else getting 400k+ DPS to kill most things before AP gets to be a problem. In general, I think 2.x SS is restricted to the domain of the most powerful wizards, like yourself. Most folks can only dream.

By the way, I watched your older high speed 1H SS video again yesterday, Malakai. This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLG08nzlIg

Just sick, man.

09/09/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Malakai
It was something I was mulling around before I decided to stop playing until the Loot 2.0 patch comes out.

We'll try keeping the seat warm for you, Malakai. Enjoy your break! Hope your recent jobs went well this past month.
Reply Quote
I lose AP too quickly with my current setup. I'm using the Archon hybrid as a result of that.

Is my aps too high with only 2 slots of apoc?

(I haven't spent much on my weapon because I havent decided if I want to use a 1h + source or a skorn). My first HC SS Wiz (skorn) died because I got stuck without teleport up while fighting an elite. That's why I initially wanted to use an Oculus this time for the teleport reduction.

Not sure what direction to take from here aside from crafting for upgrades on my two crafted slots haha.

The prismatic and blur choices are purely for survival since im on HC.

Input appreciated!
Edited by Sahbatage#1201 on 9/11/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
By the way, I watched your older high speed 1H SS video again yesterday, Malakai. This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLG08nzlIg

Just sick, man.

I remember being so excited to achieve that really high CC with RoF, only to have it not pan out the way I wanted it to. 97% CC + 3 sources of APoC and still ran dry on a lot of fights. Meh. DPS was decent, though.

I should make a new video soon of my current setup to show how great the sustain is on elite fights. Might do that here in a little bit actually while I wait for my Tera dungeon reset timer.

We'll try keeping the seat warm for you, Malakai. Enjoy your break! Hope your recent jobs went well this past month.

Thanks. A few more contracts and I should have more than enough to not have to work at all this winter.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Sahbatage
Input appreciated!

I have absolutely zero experience on Hardcore in this game, so I'm very leery of giving out advice for it lest it lead to someone losing their toon.

The only thing I'd guess at would be to add a 3rd piece of APoC (weapon) or go with a slower 1H weapon (mace or spear). That, or just try to get more dps so that you can kill stuff before you run out of AP. More CC in general should help, too, since you'll get more APoC procs.

Honestly, if I were to do Hardcore with Sleet Storm, I'd go with a max Lifesteal Skorn (6%, or as close to it as possible) and Blood Magic at the same time. Survivability > everything in HC I imagine, and you can't get much better than LS Skorn for Sleet Storm. Skorn + 10 APoC (helm) and keeping your APS low teamed up with Power Hungry should be sufficient provided you don't try to do an MP level that you don't have the dps for yet.
Reply Quote
I remember being so excited to achieve that really high CC with RoF, only to have it not pan out the way I wanted it to. 97% CC + 3 sources of APoC and still ran dry on a lot of fights. Meh. DPS was decent, though.

It was a cool experiment, to say the least. I wonder, could it have been all those extra CM procs for EB casts that stressed AP overmuch, or is Sleet Storm's proc rate simply too low for APoC to achieve replacement level? I think maybe sacrificing 5% CC from Pinpoint to take PotS in that setup might work out. Anyway, water under the bridge.

09/11/2013 09:48 PMPosted by Malakai
I should make a new video soon of my current setup to show how great the sustain is on elite fights

Good idea. I think your current wizard is really exquisite and well worth documenting before you fall too much out of peak playing form and/or the expansion mutates the game. Plus, your classic video thread deserves a bump; these days there are a lot of new and returning players hanging around and grinding hard, and I think it'd do them (and veterans alike) well to again showcase the many fun and effective wizard builds that are actually available to us.

Speaking of which, I'm working on a cool Arcane Mines build that I think you'll like, the one in my profile. You'll surely recognize a lot of the build elements I've chosen. I like its performance so much that I'm about ready to cash in to try and optimize this thing. Just my luck you're on break now and can't advise me in game.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I played around a bit with different armors and 2 sources of apoc + storm armor (power of the storm) makes it fine even on single targets. I was worried about being squishy from dropping prismatic but archon (arcane destruction) seconds as an "oh sh*t" button. That initial boom leaches back life and the increased ar + armor help in a bad spot.

Ill probably get a LL skorn and see how that plays in comparison.
Reply Quote
It was a cool experiment, to say the least. I wonder, could it have been all those extra CM procs for EB casts that stressed AP overmuch, or is Sleet Storm's proc rate simply too low for APoC to achieve replacement level? I think maybe sacrificing 5% CC from Pinpoint to take PotS in that setup might work out. Anyway, water under the bridge.

Yea, I'm glad I pursued it. Otherwise it would have always been nagging at the back of my mind. I'm just that type of person, that I have to try stuff out myself, see it or experience it in action to determine how I feel about it. I can be somewhat analytical about things at times, but I always see that as the starting point, somewhere to "launch" from. From there it's all about what feels best to the individual. Numbers only show one side of things. On paper one thing can seem the best, but in practice it's not always so. Take AD+AM for example. On paper it's by far our highest dps spec, no questions. In practice, it's somewhat clunky and not very efficient compared to some of our other specs.

Anyhow. Yea, what I determined was that even though with all that extra CC you're getting more APoC procs, you're also getting more CM procs, thus you're casting EB more often which puts more of a strain on your AP since all that extra CC only applies to SS and not EB. And because of the low coefficient on SS you can't really use it as an AP generator like you can with WW (which has more to do with WWs interaction with APS than anything).

I used PPB in that setup because I was also using GC and needed the extra armor. If you drop GC you can drop Energy Armor as well since you likely won't need the extra mitigation. It's why I'm able to use PotS in my current setup because I use Astral Presence instead of GC. One thing I always wanted to do with this setup, though, was to work toward slightly higher mit so that I could use GC and PotS. Was all contingent upon crafting sick trifecta gloves with AR, though, and that continued to elude me. But yea... once you make the move to PotS, you find that you don't need all that extra RoF CC. Starting to think, though, that maybe with PotS, 3 APoC sources, and all that extra RoF CC you won't need 4p Tals and Astral Presence anymore. I should try it out one day soon. I'll lose a ton of EHP which will make it hard to keep using this wand, but it'll be more to see what the sustain is like rather than functionality. That comes later.

Speaking of which, I'm working on a cool Arcane Mines build that I think you'll like, the one in my profile. You'll surely recognize a lot of the build elements I've chosen. I like its performance so much that I'm about ready to cash in to try and optimize this thing. Just my luck you're on break now and can't advise me in game.

It's very similar to a build that Gendehar liked to use quite a bit when he and I would farm together. He even used a Spear, too. Differences being that he used Time Warp for the extra damage for both of us instead of Mirror Images. I think he also used a different EB rune since most things died before TBs would have much of an impact. For solo stuff, though, I can easily see how your choice of setup would work very well. Especially with the "new" Electrify mechanics.

You should try making some videos some day. Would be very cool to see the game through your eyes. All you need is some free recording software and a YouTube account.
Reply Quote
Awesome build!
I was using CM/WW but needed a break, Archon never appealed to me so I saw this and I love it! seeing monsters health drop is a good sight... I couldn't see the health of monsters really drop when i was CM/WW because so much was going on all the time.

Very nice build!

Just need to work on getting better gear for it now!

While i try to get better gear i have to go back to WW/CM.. I die alot less for now
Edited by Justin#11327 on 9/20/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Has the Butcher's Sickle been tested to see if the pull effect is worth using?
Reply Quote
I've used the sickle a few times. The proc happens more not than oft, meaning that it isn't a good weapon to use IF YOU'RE LOOKING JUST FOR THE PROCS.

But as a weapon in general, the sickle is a nice weapon for the build. Low attack speed, critical damage, life steal, black damage and possibly a socket.

And sometimes you get a nice bonus of dragging a running enemy, like Act I keywarden.

EDIT: Complementing: But you won't achieve maximum possible DPS with it, since it's iLevel is 60. It won't roll bigger damage numbers, nor critical damage above 55%, but can roll up to 200 int and a socket.
Edited by Machado#1633 on 9/26/2013 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried using diamond skin with the reduced AP cost rune? If you can find enough crit chance to reduce the cooldown, then you could permanently reduce the channel cost significantly.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried using diamond skin with the reduced AP cost rune? If you can find enough crit chance to reduce the cooldown, then you could permanently reduce the channel cost significantly.

Here's the problem with that. To start, you're never going to able to get enough CC to allow SS to reset the cooldown on Diamond Skin often enough on single targets. You can keep it up pretty well on multiple targets, but you don't have AP issues at all on multiples, only single targets really. And not only will you not be able to refresh the cooldown fast enough, but the shield only absorbs about 11k damage, meaning it's going to break almost instantly, so you only get the -7 AP savings for like a second or two. All this makes Prism not really worth it in an SS build. You're actually better off with Arcanot if you want to use that ability slot for AP management. That is if you don't want to use Archon there, which I strongly feel is the best AP management tool for SS against single targets since you don't lose much dps and you're able to regen all of your AP well before the duration runs out during an elite fight.
Reply Quote
^ +1. I've tested with the same results. But Malakai word is more than enough. :)
Reply Quote
huh. I guess I did not realize the AP savings when away if the skin broke. Bummer! but thanks for the info.
Edited by SolGrumpy#1835 on 9/26/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Implications of the datamined caps on SS

I would like to brainstorm what the following hard caps for the new RoS gear might imply for my fellow sleet stormers:

*You may have a maximum of +40.00% Critical Hit Chance from items.
*You may have a maximum of +250.00% Critical Hit Damage from items.
*You may have a maximum of +40.00% Attack Speed from items.

If these changes go through unchanged that will mean that most players will have to re-gear accordingly. The typical sleet stormer will probably have more CC and CHD, but less IAS than the cap allows.

A few quick fixes that spring to mind are:

- Marquise ruby instead of emerald in weapon sockets

- RoF CC will probably still be able to go over the cap: Mara’s, Skull Grasps, wizards hats and SoJs will be very valuable

- A slow 1.2 APS weapon could allow for more IAS on other items. A high %DMG modifier would benefit the socketed marq. ruby

The question I currently ask myself is whether it is worthwhile to slowly gear towards these goals until RoS hits. It will certainly help to adapt faster to the changes (if they persist) thus enabling me to farm more difficult content faster.
On the other hand we will probably change all of our current gear pretty quickly and the screenshots of the new legendaries indicate that these will have lower damage modifiers (e.g. DML with 7.5CC). I guess this will also be true for CHD, and maybe for IAS. In case we find such an item that we would like to equip, our current high CC/CHD items might fill the gaps until we are adequately outfitted in all-ilvl 70 gear, which will ultimately make all of our current items obsolete.

I guess it is safe to assume that gearing towards avg damage and EHP/Mit stats is a safe bet. Apart from that I’d love to hear your thoughts about the coming (maybe) changes.
Reply Quote
*You may have a maximum of +40.00% Critical Hit Chance from items.
*You may have a maximum of +250.00% Critical Hit Damage from items.
*You may have a maximum of +40.00% Attack Speed from items.

Those are caps from items. It doesn't count the amounts you get from Paragon Points you might spend, or amounts you can get from abilities and passives.

For example, there's a 40% CC cap from items, but you can get 10% more from Paragon Points, you have 5% by default, Scoundrel gives you 3%, Pinpoint can give you 5% more, 15% more from Deep Freeze, and the new Conflagration will give you 5% if you apply fire damage to the mobs (and there are a lot of new fire-related options coming in the xpac).

So with just the 40% CC cap from items + 5% default, 10% from Paragon, and 3% Scoundrel, you'll be fine. Hell, it's only 3% less than I have right now, and 2% more than you have right now. It will actually be a buff for 2H users since they don't get CC from an offhand but will be able to get up to 10% from Paragon Points to make up for it. How about that?

40% IAS from gear, 10% from Paragon Points. I'm at 1.89 APS with 1H SS right now, and I don't even have 40% IAS (I'm at 35% from gear). This won't affect me at all, and I run with more IAS than just about every other SS user I've seen on these forums so far. It could actually be a buff for me because I'd be able to drop some IAS from my gear, make up for it with Paragon Points, and then replace the lost IAS from gear with some new and better affixes that affect more of my damage sources (since IAS only helps SS and does nothing for EB or Storm Armor). And if you're a 2H SS user, the IAS cap won't even register on your radar (unless they wind up making some changes to AP consumption with channeled spells which in turn makes IAS more desirable.)

The CHD cap from gear is the only thing in question really. I'd lose 157% from my gear, but gain some of it back through Paragon Points (not sure what the cap is from Paragon Points, can someone clarify for me please?). But I still think it's going to be just fine. We have to remember that weapon DPS is going to skyrocket, and main stats like Intelligence are going to go way up on higher tiers of gear as well. That means that damage is going to be more smooth. Non-crits will be doing a lot more damage, but in exchange crit damage will go down a little bit, thus it'll balance in the end, and hell... more than likely actually go up when you factor everything in.

Capping these stats through gear also allows us the freedom to supplement our builds with some of the new Legendary affixes coming out that will lead to higher dps. It might not show up on the character sheet, but it'll still be dps. Or we can supplement with some of the new utility affixes like immunity to freeze and root, more ehp, more cooldown reduction, that thing that makes all Teleport runes act like Wormhole, etc.

This is a time to be VERY excited, not a time to worry. The game is going to be sooooooo much more interesting and a TON of new possibilities and options are going to open up for us. SS already operates incredibly well within these caps, so all the new stuff coming out is only going to make us stronger.
Reply Quote
Hi guys,I'm currently deciding between sleet storm and a LL/Meteor build and I'm facing a road block for my equips upgrade.Would appreciate if I can get some assistance here.Thanks.

Profile - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aeze-1189/hero/23490772
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]