Diablo® III

[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

It seems to be one of the few D3V builds that remains viable into RoS, alongside various Arcane Torrent runes.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 06:35 AMPosted by mzy
It seems to be one of the few D3V builds that remains viable into RoS, alongside various Arcane Torrent runes.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure if there's a way to play this build today without critical mass. Life steal I can deal with later after the changes have been finalized.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 06:42 AMPosted by Mep
01/28/2014 06:35 AMPosted by mzy

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure if there's a way to play this build today without critical mass. Life steal I can deal with later after the changes have been finalized.

Without CM this build loses a lot of burst DPS. Having EB going off more than once every 6 seconds is a big deal. Not surd paragon cool down reduction have a big enough impact.

So yes, mzy is you could provide details that would be great.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 06:42 AMPosted by Mep
I'm not sure if there's a way to play this build today without critical mass.

You're not trying hard enough.

The basic SS build remains mostly intact with only a couple of changes. Here's what I use right now on PTR most times:

Sleet Storm
Calamity
Force Weapon
Reactive Armor
Cannoneer
Chain Reaction

Cold Blooded
Illusionist
Glass Cannon

Chain Reaction is a free slot really. You can use any EB rune, or Arcane Orbit, or Hydra, or Molten Impact, or a Signature spell coupled with Arcane Dynamo as your 3rd passive.

Another swap you can make is to change Force Weapon to Ignite and Glass Cannon to Conflagrate if you don't have the mitigation for Glass Cannon.

Illusionist + Calamity is simply godly right now and overlooked by just about everyone so far. With high LPS and LoH coupled with the healing from the Templar and good mitigation, you can just about recoup all the lost HP in the duration of the AoE stun or two if you're careful about positioning and whatnot (IE - don't suck). The stun from Calamity doesn't appear to be on DR either, so... yea, you can kinda abuse it to great effect. I like it MUCH better than CM + FN in an SS build from Live right now if you work it just right because you don't lose as much DPS performing the teleport stun.

Put all your Paragon Points into Intelligence, Critical Hit Chance, Life Per Second, and Life on Hit, and try to get some new gear with good LPS on it. Use the Templar follower and have him take the 2 healing abilities (both are on a 30 second cooldown and can save your a$$ in a pinch when needed), the LPS one (it's about 1k per second at level 60), and the stun that's on a 10 second cooldown.

I'm sure things will change a lot once we get to 70, but if I'm able to farm Torment 4 with no LS right now at 60 I'm sure I'll be ok farming Torment 1 at 70 with some new gear and much higher life returns through Paragon points and whatnot until I get better gear to farm higher Torment levels. Being able to slot in Absolute Zero and a 4th Passive are going to be pretty huge for the build, too. Plus there are a TON of new Legendary affixes that lend themselves amazingly well to a build centered around SS, and I'm not just talking about Frostburn Gauntlets. If you're creative and perceptive enough, you'll know which ones I'm talking about.

So yea... SS is going to be juuuuust fine as long as they don't make any major changes to things between now and release. A lot of folks are going to have a hard time adjusting to some of the changes to combat dynamics, but once you get the hang of it it's a lot of fun and a rather rewarding gameplay experience.
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 07:16 AMPosted by hjerk
Without CM this build loses a lot of burst DPS. Having EB going off more than once every 6 seconds is a big deal. Not surd paragon cool down reduction have a big enough impact.

So yes, mzy is you could provide details that would be great.

I use CM in my current SS build, but CM is not what makes the build, just like CM doesn't make the Archon build, it just helps. When RoS shows up, the gear and primary damage dealer for an SS build stay exactly the same. You'll just have to swap around some secondary skills (EB to MW or Familiar is the main one, probably) and passives (CM to Dominance) and you'll be good to go.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 1/29/2014 12:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey there! Here are some thoughts and feedback on the D3V SS build.

I have been running SS for a couple weeks now, trying almost every setup, 4 players mp 10 in mind. My efficienty can compete with most Archons around 500k DPS.

The build and gear currently displayed on my profile is the one i use for crypt runs, playing with a Barbarian (Warcry for extra eHP) and Cyclone Strike Monk.

For the lazy ones, here are my stats, full buff:

~45.000 HP
~1000 All Resists
~4.300 Armor
33.5% crit (40.5% to RoF with SoJ)
1.09 Attacks per second (no attack speed except on my Witching Hour)
+30% DPS on elites (SoJ+StormCrow)
210k sheet DPS (again, add 7% crit to RoF)

_ The StormCrow with crit and SOJ with RoF crit are swapped for Hellfire and StorwCrow with a socket (for the extra exp bonus) once i enter the crypt.

_ Storm Armor-Shocking Aspect is a must for group play, you almost never get hit so Reactive rune is not that useful.

_ Glass Canon is prefered for higher damage, however i don't recommend it if you are not playing with a Barbarian. AP management is really hard too, but once you are in the crypts, the insane mob density take care of your AP regen anyway.

_ Explosive Blast-Chain Reaction can be used, but if you use Glass Canon you will be AP starved. It works really well for crypt runs though, once again the high mob density take care of your AP regen. Even better results with a Cyclone Strike Monk, of course. Else, i just run with Unleashed.

_ Magic Weapon-Force Weapon is prefered once again for damage, but i would switch for Blood Magic if i don't have my Barbarian+Monk team... survivability is a concern when you play with Glass Canon (mainly on Reflect+Lava+X affixes). Again, i don't have a perfect Life Steal Skorn, but 5.2% is enought for me, i would probably stick with Blood Magic if it was lower.

_ Diamond Skin-Diamond Shards is a must IMO. It gives a ton of eHP and eDPS on high MP. This skill alone keep me alive on Frozen+Desecrator affixes, the Shards give me like 12k life back with the high life steal of Skorn.

_ Teleport-Safe Passage let you tank anything, 30% reduction is just too much. This and Diamond Shards allow me to run a lowish eHP setup in mp10 with ease, you just have to use it smartly (either for placement purpose or just for the 30% reduction).

For solo play, i usually stick with Arcane Presence + Unleashed Blast + Blood Magic + Reactive Armor.

I'm currently working on a Glass Canon + Frost Nova-Deep Freeze setup, the goal here being to use the 15% crit buff to make up for the AP regen, while giving a ton of eDPS. I'm over 480% crit damage, so the Glass Canon + 15% crit is a massive boost. The ultimate goal would be to burst down any elite pack within the 12 seconds Deep Freeze buff and before i run out of AP.
The main problem for this setup is skill slots, i have to either drop Magic Weapon or Teleport for Frost Nova... I would say that freezing elites for a bit gives us some kind of eHP so dropping Teleport is the more logical thing to do. Plus, the goal is to burst down elites, so why drop Magic Weapon... The gear requirement should be very high, but i think it could work.

Thanks for reading and thanks to the OP for this amazing build ;)

*Edit :

I just made some more testing around Deep Freeze, here is the best build so far :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZQXYTh!WgY!YacYcc

Teleport-Safe Passage was just too important to drop it, so i dropped Magic Weapon instead.

The 15% crit chance buff give me slightly more DPS than Magic Weapon, with some cool side effects :

_ More procs from Critical Mass and AP on crit which makes Chain Reaction Blast viable.
_ More crits means smoother Life Steal, AP on crit generation. Less "the game don't want you to get crits for 4 seconds, so you will die".
_ The actual Freezing effect is really great against those elites who can't stay still for more than 1 second.

I am well aware that this build look almost like a SnS with Ray of Frost instead of Tornadoes, but the actual gameplay is not. The Frost Nova is used mainly for the 15% Crit buff, the freezing effect being nice but not vital. I'm still facetanking 80% of the time and no need for windup time to be effective.

Just Teleport in, cast Frost Nova and play like a regular Sleet Stormer.
Edited by Crucru#2554 on 2/6/2014 8:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
I read the guide and ended up in -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlXQSf!aWg!YbcacZ

Power Hungry is a must imo, without APoC (Skorn + Tal/Andy/Mempo) and I have low armor that's why Crystallize.

I believe its decent right now, I'm planning to get 5+ LS Skorn and go for Force Weapon. Do I miss something? I like the 2H way but if any tweaking can be done (like ditching CM or trading Blizzard for EB or anything) feel free to recommend me.
Edited by EXATHERION#2699 on 2/10/2014 4:46 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]