Diablo® III

[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

sorry, I tried this build with less attack speed and lots of crit hit and crit chance, and it just feels inferior. ESPECIALLY AGAINST RANGED TARGETS, OMFG. and another huge problem is recasting blizzard/slowtime by the time I even get second blizzard cast off, I'm dead in mp10.

here are my stats with your build
damage=176316 (unbuffed)
attack speed=1.09
skorn=6% ls
AR=989
crit chance=41.5
crit damage= 585%
Apoc=10

tested your build out against azmodan and confirmed it is inferior, went full out spam until i ran out of arcane power and then stopped the test, 1.1m single target dps. went through about 3 rotation of blizzard and slow time miasma for maximum damage.

while with this spec http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bRTjZS!XWT!ccZaYZ

I was manageing 1.5-1.6m, I'm never arcane power starved, it handles mp10 way better and to top it off, I could use all the attack speed I wanted and this build has little to no trouble with elites because you just switch from sleet storm to disintegrate. granted disintegrate does like 60% less weapon damage, but that damage is easily recuperated by not having to chase the ranged elites down all day.
Reply Quote
@grimchip

You have good dps, hp, and all resist, but your armor is pretty low. I checked you out on d3up.com, and you only have 3612 armor, and 376,735 ehp. A bit on the low side for MP10 using this build.

You have 41.5% crit, but no extra crit to Ray of Frost. You're not using a SoJ, which not only gives up to 7% RoF crit (more crit, more APoC returns), but helps you kill elites so much faster, thus saving AP. I firmly stand by SoJ being best-in-slot for this build for high MP stuff.

Also, we've stated here and in other threads that Blizzard isn't really viable for MP10 when fighting elites, and especially on bosses who have huge amounts of HP. You want to use Diamond Shards, Familiar, or Time Warp instead on MP10. You might be able to get Blizzard to work if you can speed up your kills times, maybe dropping Teleport for it and keeping SS, DS, EB, MW, and SA. Personally, Teleport is just one of those abilities I don't like living without. It's way too versatile.

That said, I like the hybrid Sleet Storm/Disintegrate build you linked. Looks very versatile, and if it's working for you, that's great. I might also try it out sometime. I don't really like the idea of having to stop channeling SS to cast LL when I'm low on AP and surrounded by stuff that can easily kill me in that short period of time, but I'm sure I can adjust my tactics to make it work if I have to. Even though I don't have problems with ranged mobs (teleport + snare from Sleet Storm + stutter stepping = win), I do like the idea of using AD boosted Disintegrate to deal with them. Good stuff.
Reply Quote
View profile
Of course it's inferior to OP/IMBA FN CM builds thats why i started OP/IMBA thread couple weeks ago. By definition you confirm. But it's a damn good build.
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:08 PMPosted by Aimless
Of course it's inferior to OP/IMBA FN CM builds thats why i started OP/IMBA thread couple weeks ago. By definition you confirm. But it's a damn good build.

For sure it is a damn good build !! :D

Glad to see that sleet storm is starting to get some recognitions.

@grimchip, of course it will never surpass SNS, (I don't think many builds are superior to SNS among the whole cast of Diablo 3). Also, like Malakai stated, you don't have the proper gear to run this build affectively yet. You need more armor and more crit chance to ROF.
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 3/23/2013 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Hero and Malakai. I was enjoy my new build so much. However, My maximum MP is 5. When I run MP6, I kept dying. I have 60M left, what should I do ?

Thanks in advanced
Reply Quote
Looking at your stats, it seems you need more defenses. The best place to do that for you right now would be your leg armor. Replace those Inna's pants with a good pair of rare pants with high Intelligence, high Vitality, Armor, All Resist, and 2 sockets. You'll lose the runspeed, but you'll gain so much more in the process.

From there, you'll probably want to get Vile Wards with Int, Vit, and Strength. The Strength with add to your armor. Vile Wards are super cheap right now, too.

A Zuni Pox ring with an armor roll on it shouldn't cost that much if you don't also get crit on it. You could try there.

For something further down the line, look for a really good Zuni chest with good Vit and an Armor roll. Those can get expensive for high end ones, but you can find really good deals on ones with Int on the lower end of the spectrum and less than 200 vit.

That's the "gold" way to do it. If you want to do it for free, just drop Storm Armor for Energy Armor: Prismatic Armor. You'll lose dps and healing, but gain a ton of mitigation. You could also try swapping Magic Weapon: Force Weapon for Blood Magic for some extra healing. And swapping out Blizzard for Diamond Skin could help quite a bit, too.

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
Thank you Malaika, I really appreciate your help.

I tried to switch rare pants and I lost 10+ K DPS because I lost 9 attack speed.

Vile Ward. Why do we need Strength ? I got High int and arm right there. (Sorry, I do not understand)

Zuni Pox. I will try tomorrow. I tried to fit the one with armor and crit , I could gain 6k DPS but I lost some health.

Zuni Chest. I will change it when I have more gold. How much I should pay for this one ?

Skills. I will test them later.

In general, I should concentrate on All Res , Armor , Strength. So, it means I will lost tons of DPS. Do you have any solutions to gain DPS as well ?

Thank you again.
Reply Quote
03/23/2013 11:42 PMPosted by Brianhoang
Thank you Malaika, I really appreciate your help.

You're welcome.

I tried to switch rare pants and I lost 10+ K DPS because I lost 9 attack speed.

You don't really want attack speed with this build anyways because it just makes it more difficult to sustain your AP, so ignore the dps loss from that stat.

Vile Ward. Why do we need Strength ? I got High int and arm right there. (Sorry, I do not understand)

Every 1 point of Strength equals 1 point of Armor for every class. So think of it as another way to stack armor on a piece when you need it. You shouldn't stack Strength at the expense of other more important stats, but some pieces (like shoulders for example) you have an extra affix to work with so you can get it there.

Zuni Chest. I will change it when I have more gold. How much I should pay for this one ?

That really depends on how much Vitality, Armor, and Intelligence you want to get on it. You might be able to find a pretty decent one for under 50m or so where you don't lose too much Intelligence or Vitality (if at all).

In general, I should concentrate on All Res , Armor , Strength. So, it means I will lost tons of DPS.

Well, the general idea is to ADD to your existing stats, not replace them with others (if you can help it) unless it's going to be a gain for you. For example, replacing 100 armor with 50 all resist is generally a good thing. But dropping 5% crit for, say, 200 armor probably isn't a good idea. Get the picture?

Do you have any solutions to gain DPS as well ?

Zuni boots instead of Ice Climbers will give you a dps boost from the bonus elemental damage on them. Plus it will get you the 3 piece bonus of 55 all resist which will make up some of the loss from Ice Climbers. You'd probably have to get a pair with a high Vitality roll and high Armor or All Resist roll in order to come close to the loss of EHP, though. This can be a tough one, so I'd hold off on it for now since EHP is something you really need.

A Zuni Pox ring with 4%+ crit chance on it would be a big dps gain. This would be the #1 thing I'd go for to boost your dps right now.

A Storm Crow with either higher +Ray of Frost crit, or just crit in general.

Bracers. Craft some of the new Archon Bracers of Intelligence. Keep crafting until you get one with at least Int, All Resist, Armor, and good crit chance. The ones you have right now are pretty good, but the crafted ones can have up to 330 Int on them, so that's a lot of dps.

You can also try your luck at crafting gloves. If you get lucky enough, you could potentially get some that have huge int, vit, all resist, armor, chd, and crit chance.
Reply Quote
Hello Malakai.

Thank you so much for your help. I am going to change my gear :) Hope I can farm at high MP.

Thank you again
Reply Quote
Hello Malakai.

Thank you so much for your help. I am going to change my gear :) Hope I can farm at high MP.

Thank you again

Hey Brian !!

Sorry I was busy over the week-end with a couple of personal stuffs, so couldn't really answer your questions. But thanks to Malakai for taking the relief.

So for your gear, yes pretty much what Malakai suggested. The key is trying to maintain your DPS while getting higher EHP.

I took a look at your profile and noticed that you are using the Stark Winter rune (Blizzard) which I do not suggest because it takes too much of your AP. The only rune that is usable for this build is Snowbound because you want to save as much AP as possible for Sleet Storm.

If you have difficulties surviving on higher MPs, you can swap Blizzard for Diamond Skin, Slow time or Familiar.
Reply Quote
I need assistance I feel like I've more than met the MP5 breakpoints for gear yet every time I sit down to do MP4 I get ricked over just trying to start out with having 4 deaths right off the bat because of bunghole packs like these.

http://youtu.be/7N1tlpA-aQY

It's like I think I have a monster power level on farm and then this happens and I'm just like wtf am I doing wrong, why can't sleet storm do what's it's supposed to when I just zone in?

I prefer Wizard and I'm completely sick of farming on WD (even though it seems more safe/reliable) and want to just play wiz but it never fails I try all kinds of builds and all that ever happens to me is I either get shafted with close range builds against freaking vomit on the ground packs or vortex with ranged builds. or in this case my CLOSE range build got shafted by a vortex pack and what gives I'm overgeared for MP4 even.
Reply Quote
Those particular guys you were fighting hit pretty dang hard. They even kill me sometimes on MP10 if I'm not careful.

For starters, Mirror Skin is probably the worst rune for Diamond Skin for PvE stuff. Swap that out for something much more useful at your gear level, like Crystal Shell. Diamond Shards can sometimes be better than Crystal Shell at low mitigation levels with this build because the damage from the shards exploding tend to heal you to full instantly if it hits enough mobs. Try one of those two instead to see which one works better for you.

You should also try using Safe Passage instead of Fracture for the huge mitigation buff it gives you. Don't use it to teleport away from mobs (unless you need to get away from something ASAP), but rather straight into the fray to take full advantage of the 30% damage reduction it gives you. Using this on cooldown (if your AP allows) really helps with letting you stay topped off HP-wise (less incoming damage, so your healing is more effective in keeping you out of 1 or 2 shot territory).

Also try swapping out Ice Armor for Energy Armor: Prismatic Armor. This will give you more survivability against a larger number of potential threats at your gear level. Ice Armor and Jagged Ice only work for melee threats.

Lastly, try using Blood Magic instead of Force Weapon rune for Magic Weapon. This will give you more healing, enabling you to not be so timid when fighting stuff.

Once you work those things out, my last piece of advice would be this. If that video is any indication of how you fight using this build, then this build isn't for you. This is a straight up in-your-face monster tank brute force build. You need to "grow some balls" so to speak when playing a build like this. The goal is to overpower by overgearing the opposition. There's no real finesse involved with it. You get all up in their face and just blast away with Sleet Storm and heal through damn near everything. The only time you really should be moving around during an elite fight is if you're dodging arcane beams or moving out of too many fire or plague patches on the ground. If you're unable to tank through the damage on a given MP level, then start dropping your MP level until you can, and wait until you're geared enough to brute force it on a higher level.

That said, there are going to be times even when you outgear most things when a bad elite affix combo is just going to crap all over you. Elite Blazing Guardians with Desecrator + Plagued + Arcane makes me want to kill myself sometimes. Just be patient, always be objective, look at your mistakes and don't be afraid to admit that you were outskilled by the computer, and just always look for ways to improve. Determination gets you a lot farther than a false sense of confidence.

Good luck, and I hope some of this helps.
Reply Quote
I'll try changing my spec based on your suggestions. I will say that I was running because I was getting owned when trying to brute force them down. I guess I need to drop MP? I really would rather not cuz most other packs are fine other than the obnoxious golgors/phasebeasts and desecrator/plague/arcanes.
Reply Quote
03/25/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Nak
I'll try changing my spec based on your suggestions. I will say that I was running because I was getting owned when trying to brute force them down. I guess I need to drop MP? I really would rather not cuz most other packs are fine other than the obnoxious golgors/phasebeasts and desecrator/plague/arcanes.

You will see a great improvement by swaping Fracture for Safe passage.

Also, If you use diamond skin, definitely go for Crystal Shell or Diamond Shards.

Also, if you have difficulties againts thoses Elites, Swap Blizzard for Explosive blasts or Time Warp

With this build, there will always be some nasty elites affixes combos that will make your life miserable. It's just the nature of this spec.
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 3/25/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Nak, it could be just me, but those fat guys hit especially hard in Arreat Core, much more so than if they were found in another area. Just the other day I was one-shot at 75% life by a white fat guy in Arreat Core (which never happens elsewhere), and some of my worse memories are chain dying against elite fat guy packs in, once again, Arreat Core. I seriously think it's a bug.

Also agree 100% on the use of Safe Passage. To me it's a requirement of this build, and I even use Illusionist as my defensive passive to ensure full up-time. It's as close as us wizards can get to a perma-Gloom DH.

Also would recommend Slow Time, too. The -25% attack speed is designed for zero freeze wizards like us.
Edited by MILESIAN#1982 on 3/25/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ok so safe passage blood magic diamond shards.

I'd been using blizzard by itself to slowly kill packs with especially annoying pools on the ground. what's the best way to combat them without it when using a replacement like slow time?

also any suggestions on which follower to run with?

and which circuit do you usually do with this build I get the feeling part of my problem is trying to run the exact same circuit as my wd.
Edited by Nak#1305 on 3/25/2013 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Heroscaper
So for your gear, yes pretty much what Malakai suggested. The key is trying to maintain your DPS while getting higher EHP.

:) Could you tell me what is EHP ?
I tried to find a good pairs of pants, Boots. I will lose tone of DPS and Health, but gains defense. How could I finish monsters in a short time ?

I took a look at your profile and noticed that you are using the Stark Winter rune (Blizzard) which I do not suggest because it takes too much of your AP. The only rune that is usable for this build is Snowbound because you want to save as much AP as possible for Sleet Storm.

I will try it later

If you have difficulties surviving on higher MPs, you can swap Blizzard for Diamond Skin, Slow time or Familiar.

I could not live without Blizzard. When E has reflection damage, I really love Blizzard in this situation. It also help me freeze and kill monsters faster.

Sorry I was busy over the week-end with a couple of personal stuffs, so couldn't really answer your questions. But thanks to Malakai for taking the relief.

You do not have to worry about this. Real life is much more important.

So far, with 150K DPS (buffed) I still get hard time when run MP8. Running for MP5 Keys is not a big deal anymore.

I tried many solutions but could not know how to gain DPS and Defense. If I have 300M, could I run MP8 easier ?

Thank you you guys so much.
Reply Quote

:) Could you tell me what is EHP ?
I tried to find a good pairs of pants, Boots. I will lose tone of DPS and Health, but gains defense. How could I finish monsters in a short time ?

I will try it later

I could not live without Blizzard. When E has reflection damage, I really love Blizzard in this situation. It also help me freeze and kill monsters faster.

You do not have to worry about this. Real life is much more important.

So far, with 150K DPS (buffed) I still get hard time when run MP8. Running for MP5 Keys is not a big deal anymore.

I tried many solutions but could not know how to gain DPS and Defense. If I have 300M, could I run MP8 easier ?

Thank you you guys so much.

EHP is your level of survivability... It can be raise with higher armor, all resistance and vitality. You can use this website to calculate your EHP: http://d3up.com/

Well, with the gear I'm wearing at this moment, I can run MP8-9 without much problem so maybe you can take a look at my profile or Malakai's one for references. Your next upgrades should be a Zunima trail with good all resistance and a better pants with armor and all resistance (blackthorne/depth digger/rare pants).
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 3/26/2013 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
EHP is your level of survivability... It can be raise with higher armor, all resistance and vitality. You can use this website to calculate your EHP: http://d3up.com/

Well, with the gear I'm wearing at this moment, I can run MP8-9 without much problem so maybe you can take a look at my profile or Malakai's one for references. Your next upgrades should be a Zunima trail with good all resistance and a better pants with armor and all resistance (blackthorne/depth digger/rare pants).

Replacing my pants and boot is my big concern because I will loose DPS, Moving, and Health.

I tried to run for Key, MP6, much easier.

If I concentrate a little bit, I can run MP8. I tried to run one round and got a legendary :)

Thank you for you guys help
Reply Quote
Threw together a character for ~10 million gold and I've been enjoying it immensely. I initially was having some control issues that was causing a lot of deaths - if there were too many enemies around I'd accidentally click on an enemy while trying to run away and end up channeling sleet storm. I've been using Teleport: Safe Passage to enter combat so I rarely have it ready to escape with when needed.

I found a solution to this problem and I highly recommend you include it in your guide. This is to bind "Move" to the middle mouse button. Mouse 1 is fixed as move/interact/primary attack, but just move is by default unbound. Binding a key to only movement ensures you can maneuver the battlefield when there is no empty location to click on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]