Diablo® III

[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

Ok, I gotta keep Power Hungry. I just can't live without it anymore.

Also, I changed some of my gear back around which gives me 80% crit with Sleet Storm when Deep Freeze buff is active. I can actually achieve a rather nice stutter lock for the duration of the buff. It's starting to feel too much like SNS, though, so I probably won't stick with this in the end. I mean, if I want to use Frost Nova I might as well dust off my 2.74 set and just go all out SNS, which I don't want to do. Still... it's yet another great option for the build, which just goes to show how versatile the Sleet Storm engine is.

Yes, I agree with this one on Frost Nova. It makes this build too similar to the SNS with it. If I really want to use Frost nova, I might just as well go SNS route where Frost nova thrives the most with all the twisters & EB spamming.

I haven't really played in the PTR, but how are you doing without diamond skin ? I don't use diamond skin for this build normally so I guess with the Bug fixed to Safe Passage, we should do great ?

Recently, I have been running Archon with Sleet Storm. I must say that it is AMAZING with both !!

The idea is to use Sleet Storm/Explosive Blast combo for all the trash MOBS and when the Elites comes, Arcane destruction them in their face for the face tanking easy knock out.

I use Archon destruction because 1600% of weapon damage with our Skorn is around 2 millions damage on critcal hit which is absolutely huge. On top of that, it's an instant 100% healing with that amount of life steal.

As for Passive, I dropped Astral Presence for Glass Cannon for more DPS. Even with Glass Cannon, I was able to face tank MOBS at MP8 (before the Safe Passage bug fixed). In archon mode I have around 7000 Armor, 9000 All resist & 6% life leach which is more than enough to face tank all the elites on MP10.

So the strategy is: Use Sleet Storm/Explosive Blast until your close to running out of AP, By then, you should be close to encountering an elite pack. Elite packs comes in, Arcane destruction and game over lol. I swaped Witching Hour for Tal Rasha Brace because I wanted to be able to sustain my AP as long as I could before turning into Archon. All resistance, 1% cc and bonus% to elites make up for the lost of EHP (with Glass Cannon). You lose a bit of sheet DPS compared to WH, but it is better IMO because you don't really need attack speed. Right now, my attack speed is 1 aps and it feels exactly the same as 1.09 or 1.25 aps.

The main point is that I don't have to rely on Archon for all the normal killings. I only use it when I encounter problems (Tough elite pack). Overall, the build doesn't have the problem of not being able to sustain Archon, because it is only used for a clear purpose. MP9 - MP10 is piece of cake with this build I'm running right now.

With the increase density of White Mobs, even running Archon before or after the Elite packs will be viable. When not in Archon, you are still a tough cookie with Sleet Storm/Explosive Blast combo, making this build almost flawless :D

Give it a try if you have the time. I trully believes that it will be my main build for the future.

SOJ + Stormcrow + Tal Brace = 38% bonus to elite potential. I might even swap my Zunima Marrow for Tyrael's Might to obtain 42% to elite. You trully feels godlike in Archon with such stats lol.
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 4/9/2013 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's a really good idea. Amazing actually.

Ok, so... let me see if I have this right. You just use SS + EB on normal mobs, and when you get to an elite pack you keep using SS + EB until you're about out of AP and then hit Archon and finish them off that way. If they're still not dead by the time Archon wears off, you should have full AP due to natural AP regen (10 AP per second, Archon lasts for 15 seconds, so you should be full by then) so you can go back to SS + EB until they're dead.

Brilliant.

This will work really well for the new patch because elite packs won't be the main focus, so Archon cooldown should be available almost every elite pack due to CM and the huge number of trash mobs. This could be quite amazing. Definitely going to try it out once PTR is back up.

If this works out, it should be the go-to variant of Sleet Storm for trash farming. I think for VoA where there are elite packs every time you turn around, though, it might not be so good due to Archon's cooldown not being available right away. I'll test it out, too, though.

04/09/2013 01:15 PMPosted by Heroscaper
I haven't really played in the PTR, but how are you doing without diamond skin ? I don't use diamond skin for this build normally so I guess with the Bug fixed to Safe Passage, we should do great ?

Yea, the bug fix to Safe Passage is just soooo good. I don't even move out of anything anymore except for frozen patches. Oh, and those demons who wind up their hammers and hit you VERY hard in Halls of Agony. Even with Safe Passage it hurts like hell.
Reply Quote
That's a really good idea. Amazing actually.

Ok, so... let me see if I have this right. You just use SS + EB on normal mobs, and when you get to an elite pack you keep using SS + EB until you're about out of AP and then hit Archon and finish them off that way. If they're still not dead by the time Archon wears off, you should have full AP due to natural AP regen (10 AP per second, Archon lasts for 15 seconds, so you should be full by then) so you can go back to SS + EB until they're dead.

Brilliant.

This will work really well for the new patch because elite packs won't be the main focus, so Archon cooldown should be available almost every elite pack due to CM and the huge number of trash mobs. This could be quite amazing. Definitely going to try it out once PTR is back up.

Exactly !!

This is the most fun build I had in a long time. I was almost desperate not being able to run MP10 that well with a Sleet Storm build, but after trying this it feels almost like night and day with the other variants.

Let's face it:
    Blizzard is useless at MP10
    Time warp is alright but has many flaws
    Sparkfling doesn't help you in any particular area except DPS
    Diamond Skin is good but is mainly for defense purposes and not really needed againts trash Mobs, but why use it when you can just transform into god itself when needed ?

Archon makes all the options listed obsolete IMO. It almost feels like you're in Dragon ball when you transform into Super Saiyan lol.
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 4/9/2013 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok, I just tried this out on live in VoA MP10.

You, sir, are a genius.

This works so well it's not even funny. It fixes everything that was holding the spec back. I bet we can even start adding IAS for more DPS. With the bug fix to Safe Passage, we shouldn't need as much defense from gear, so if we have to we can drop some Armor or AR for IAS. This is so good, thank you so much for recommending it. :D

One thing I like about Arcane Destruction is that it's a nice "oh crap" button, too. Since it hits so hard it'll heal you to full instantly when you transform.

Man... I'm gonna have to work out a gearing strategy for this. Between this and PTR I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. haha.
Reply Quote
Ok, I just tried this out on live in VoA MP10.

You, sir, are a genius.

This works so well it's not even funny. It fixes everything that was holding the spec back. I bet we can even start adding IAS for more DPS. With the bug fix to Safe Passage, we shouldn't need as much defense from gear, so if we have to we can drop some Armor or AR for IAS. This is so good, thank you so much for recommending it. :D

One thing I like about Arcane Destruction is that it's a nice "oh crap" button, too. Since it hits so hard it'll heal you to full instantly when you transform.

Man... I'm gonna have to work out a gearing strategy for this. Between this and PTR I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. haha.

hehehe Thanks :D

but 2 genious together working on a problem is better than one ;)

Our problems are solved :D wooooo hooooo !! It feels so good!!

Not sure about the increase in APS though, because you might run out of AP too quickly. Definitely need to test that out though.
Reply Quote
I greatly second this Archon idea. Problem right now is that I've tried, but cannot survive without Diamond Skin (low life steal, low DPS) and can't spare another slot for Archon. If and when I can survive without DS, though, one big advantage of my ill-advised 2.0 APS build is that I use WW to fuel Sleet Storm, so cooling down my Archon is a snap.

So, now you guys might start experimenting with higher APS Sleet Storm? That's great news, I'm eager to help out. Lately I've been paralyzed due to precisely this problem, and I don't want to give up on the idea just yet.
Reply Quote
I started to test with IAS gear, but all the trifecta stuff I have for my FL/Blizzard and SNS builds have little to no vit on them. With my HP so low it was too iffy, my health spiking all over the place and whatnot. I will say that adding IAS and using Astral Presence seemed like it was working well. I really want to try this out on PTR with the fix to Safe Passage so I can gauge just how often I'll be under its effects and then how much defense I might be able to drop in favor of more IAS. I don't want to invest the gold into regearing just yet on live only to find that I missed the mark.

I'm thinking I'll be able to drop the Strength roll on my shoulders for Vitality, maybe drop the Armor and Strength from my belt for a double int roll + vit. Then use a crafted trifecta ammy I have in my stash, maybe my Tal's chest with AR, my trifecta gloves (no defense or vit on them at all), and then replace the Zuni pox and SoJ with my trifecta rings. That should put me at about 1.5 APS. That should keep my HP about the same, but I'll be down quite a bit of AR and armor, which hopefully enough uptime on Safe Passage will be able to take care of. Gonna sleep on it for a few days, see what happens.
Reply Quote
I started to test with IAS gear, but all the trifecta stuff I have for my FL/Blizzard and SNS builds have little to no vit on them. With my HP so low it was too iffy, my health spiking all over the place and whatnot. I will say that adding IAS and using Astral Presence seemed like it was working well. I really want to try this out on PTR with the fix to Safe Passage so I can gauge just how often I'll be under its effects and then how much defense I might be able to drop in favor of more IAS. I don't want to invest the gold into regearing just yet on live only to find that I missed the mark.

I'm thinking I'll be able to drop the Strength roll on my shoulders for Vitality, maybe drop the Armor and Strength from my belt for a double int roll + vit. Then use a crafted trifecta ammy I have in my stash, maybe my Tal's chest with AR, my trifecta gloves (no defense or vit on them at all), and then replace the Zuni pox and SoJ with my trifecta rings. That should put me at about 1.5 APS. That should keep my HP about the same, but I'll be down quite a bit of AR and armor, which hopefully enough uptime on Safe Passage will be able to take care of. Gonna sleep on it for a few days, see what happens.

Hmmm, sounds like a big change in gearing. The thing that I don't really like about going for more APS, but less EHP is that you have to sacrifice to much survivability. Not sure if you would still be able to tank descrenator, plagues, arcane beams and so on at MP9-MP10. I also don't like the idea of abandonning the SOJ, the damage against Elites is just too great to ignore.

But this should be interesting to test as I'm curious to hear how you will do on the PTR.
Reply Quote
Here's how it's gone so far using your spec on PTR:

I'm spending about half my time in Archon instead of just using it on elite packs. This is obviously due to the massive trash mob density, allowing me to keep Archon up quite often. So what happens is this. I kill stuff with Sleet Storm and EB, I get to an elite pack, I use up all my AP, I go into Archon, I finish off the elite pack, and then go on killing more trash and adding time to Archon. I get to the next elite pack and Archon winds up wearing off some time during the fight, so I finish them off with SS + EB. Then I continue on killing more trash with SS until the next elite pack and the process repeats. So it has this nice rhythm to everything.

This is both good and bad.

It's good because it's awesome never having to let up on dps on elite packs. You're pretty much outputting near full dps the entire time (and critting elites for 8 million + with Arcane Destruction can be pretty damn nice if you opt to use it). It's also cool because it doesn't get boring. It's like playing two specs at once. I really, really enjoy that aspect of it.

But it's bad because of my gear. As you know, some of my stuff is specifically tailored toward a more Sleet Storm centric build. My ammy, helm, and SoJ all have bonus RoF crit which adds up to +20% SS crit... and all of that is wasted when I'm in Archon form. As a result, my dps while in Archon is quite a bit lower than when I'm not. This isn't a problem when elite farming in VoA because you're only in Archon for 15 seconds or so at a time. But the dps drop is exasperated when trash farming because you're in Archon a lot longer. Also, because it's more about trash mobs now, the bonus elite damage from SoJ is going to waste a VAST majority of the time (this can be remedied by just swapping rings when I get to an elite pack, but I really hate doing that). It's also bad because you're killing so much trash most of the time that you feel like if you had something else in place of Archon, you could be killing stuff faster when you're in SS mode. And when you're in Archon you feel like you could be killing faster if EB or SS were something else (Sparkflint).

So basically it's the opposite of what I thought. This spec really, really dominates when doing elite farming (and man does it kick butt in that regard, holy crap), but might not be as good for trash farming. But the fact that it's hard to get bored of it really gives it that edge in my book.

So I have 2 options. I can either stick with my usual spec and just ring swap when I get to elites (I'd like to have a really good RoF Skull Grasp with CC). Or I can re-gear some stuff so that my dps is top notch when I'm in SS mode and Archon mode. This means replacing my ammy (probably with a really good Tal's Ammy), my SoJ (I have a really good CC, CHD, int, AR, armor one in my stash), and my helm (might be able to score one without the RoF crit and instead have higher Int, or maybe a socket or some vit so that I could replace the vit on my gloves and Zuni pox with more Int or something, or just use a CC Storm Crow).

Another thing I was thinking of doing is to just cancel Archon if I finish off an elite pack while in that form. That way I'm always killing trash in SS mode, thus my specialized gear doesn't feel wasted. But then the problem of feeling like the slot that Archon occupies is wasted still lingers. If only I could give up Teleport this wouldn't be so bad. haha.

Anyhow, sorry for the "Dear Diary" type post. Writing always helps me to see things more clearly. I'll probably opt for the re-gear since I'm enjoying this variation of the spec so much.
Reply Quote
Doesn't Nova break SS channeling? I tried SS+Cold Snap, died even faster. HAHAHA
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 06:42 AMPosted by BlackStones
Doesn't Nova break SS channeling? I tried SS+Cold Snap, died even faster. HAHAHA

Yea, it breaks channeling. And with Skorn and little to no IAS, it takes forever to cast and can get you killed in that split second at times.

Soooooo... Anyone have a 6% CC + 6% Ray of Frost CC + Int Skull Grasp they want to sell me?
Reply Quote
Heroscaper, ¿ Can you inspect my gear and give me some advice ?

I tested your build and I loved it

Thx¡¡¡

P.D. Fenix#2917 in EU
Edited by Fenix#2917 on 4/13/2013 2:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sup Malakai,

I think I bidded for the new ring you have...? How much did you pay for it in the end? (:
Reply Quote
Sup Malakai,

I think I bidded for the new ring you have...? How much did you pay for it in the end? (:

I won it for only 59m. I bid on it after a deal fell through that I was able to solicit on the trade forum. Some guy said he had a 7 IAS, 6 CC, 5 RoF CC Skull Grasp to sell. He basically told me in game that he paid 450m for it on the AH and was looking to make a profit. As much as I wanted it since it was near perfect, I wasn't going to shell out that much for it. Glad I didn't, because this one with only 2 less CC overall was so much cheaper.

I'm still working out my gearing strategy in preparation for the upcoming patch. It's kind of difficult because I can add a lot of extra DPS, but most of it is through IAS which just kills my AP consumption. Like, I can easily get over 300k sheet dps without losing much mitigation, but then I'm always out of AP (sometimes even on trash, which is freaking annoying) even with Power Hungry. I thought that the mob density changes on PTR would help since I'd be hitting more things and more Health Globes would be available, but it's not working out. They really need to do something to fix the AP consumption issues when adding IAS, especially for 2-handed AP spender builds like this.
Reply Quote
Thanks for writing this guide. I'm really beginning to love Sleet Storm (got bored of Archon), but I have tweaked it a little.

First of all, I have 1.82 APS, but I don't run out of AP. I already have a very decent 1H weapon, and I don't want to replace it with Skorn. I run with 19 APOC and I use Sparkflint and Prism instead of EB and Blizzard. Finally, I use Illusionist passive instead of Astral Balance.

My EU wizard - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dragonwing-2971/hero/24052138

Play style is pretty straight forward. Teleport into monsters, spam Prism and Sleet Storm. After 4 seconds, Teleport again either to same location or different one (to refresh Safe Passage). Illusionist resets Teleport cooldown very quickly.

Pretty much melts mp8. What do you think of my tweaked build? Do you think DPS suffers for not using EB?
Edited by Dragonwing#2971 on 4/14/2013 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sleet Storm : Create a swirling storm around you, dealing 364% weapon damage as Cold to all enemies caught within it.

=O
Reply Quote
Hey Malakai...I really like all you've done with this and AT. Will you be around this evening on the PTR? I have a few gear ideas/options I would love to discuss with you.
Reply Quote
04/18/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Gendehar
Hey Malakai...I really like all you've done with this and AT. Will you be around this evening on the PTR? I have a few gear ideas/options I would love to discuss with you.

I'm on PTR right now (just noticed your friend request there) testing some stuff using Sleet Storm + Arcane Mines + Explosive Blast. It's really, really, really good. It basically takes advantage of minimum channel duration and the speed coefficient of Arcane Mines (1.5) to allow you to lay down Mines while channeling Sleet Storm while only losing like maybe .25 seconds of channel time or something like that. Anyone reading this should try it out. Hold down the Sleet Storm button and then just tap your Arcane Mines button while still holding down Sleet Storm and you'll see what I mean. You can burst some pretty ridiculous damage with it and maintain AP just fine due to the incredible proc coefficient of Arcane Mines (.500). With the high proc coefficient of Mines coupled with CM all while channeling Sleet Storm, you're able to reset the cooldown on Explosive Blast really fast. If these new numbers stay the same, this will probably be my new spec.

If you want to discuss some AT stuff, maybe post it in that other thread and we can talk there. I do much better discussing stuff on forums rather than in-game.
Reply Quote
Just logged into the PTR
Reply Quote
Dear Master of Sleet Storm,

I am interested in playing this build after seeing the new buff in PTR. How is eDPS multiplier compare between now vs 1.08 PTR ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]