Diablo® III

[GUIDE]Sleet Storm Blizzard Blast build(SSBB)

Sleet Storm : Create a swirling storm around you, dealing 364% weapon damage as Cold to all enemies caught within it.

really really great patch for us
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 04:11 AMPosted by yems
Sleet Storm : Create a swirling storm around you, dealing 364% weapon damage as Cold to all enemies caught within it.

really really great patch for us

indeed !!

It's a bit more than what I expected, but hey no complains here :D
Reply Quote
Here's how it's gone so far using your spec on PTR:

I'm spending about half my time in Archon instead of just using it on elite packs. This is obviously due to the massive trash mob density, allowing me to keep Archon up quite often. So what happens is this. I kill stuff with Sleet Storm and EB, I get to an elite pack, I use up all my AP, I go into Archon, I finish off the elite pack, and then go on killing more trash and adding time to Archon. I get to the next elite pack and Archon winds up wearing off some time during the fight, so I finish them off with SS + EB. Then I continue on killing more trash with SS until the next elite pack and the process repeats. So it has this nice rhythm to everything.

This is both good and bad.

It's good because it's awesome never having to let up on dps on elite packs. You're pretty much outputting near full dps the entire time (and critting elites for 8 million + with Arcane Destruction can be pretty damn nice if you opt to use it). It's also cool because it doesn't get boring. It's like playing two specs at once. I really, really enjoy that aspect of it.

But it's bad because of my gear. As you know, some of my stuff is specifically tailored toward a more Sleet Storm centric build. My ammy, helm, and SoJ all have bonus RoF crit which adds up to +20% SS crit... and all of that is wasted when I'm in Archon form. As a result, my dps while in Archon is quite a bit lower than when I'm not. This isn't a problem when elite farming in VoA because you're only in Archon for 15 seconds or so at a time. But the dps drop is exasperated when trash farming because you're in Archon a lot longer. Also, because it's more about trash mobs now, the bonus elite damage from SoJ is going to waste a VAST majority of the time (this can be remedied by just swapping rings when I get to an elite pack, but I really hate doing that). It's also bad because you're killing so much trash most of the time that you feel like if you had something else in place of Archon, you could be killing stuff faster when you're in SS mode. And when you're in Archon you feel like you could be killing faster if EB or SS were something else (Sparkflint).

So basically it's the opposite of what I thought. This spec really, really dominates when doing elite farming (and man does it kick butt in that regard, holy crap), but might not be as good for trash farming. But the fact that it's hard to get bored of it really gives it that edge in my book.

So I have 2 options. I can either stick with my usual spec and just ring swap when I get to elites (I'd like to have a really good RoF Skull Grasp with CC). Or I can re-gear some stuff so that my dps is top notch when I'm in SS mode and Archon mode. This means replacing my ammy (probably with a really good Tal's Ammy), my SoJ (I have a really good CC, CHD, int, AR, armor one in my stash), and my helm (might be able to score one without the RoF crit and instead have higher Int, or maybe a socket or some vit so that I could replace the vit on my gloves and Zuni pox with more Int or something, or just use a CC Storm Crow).

Another thing I was thinking of doing is to just cancel Archon if I finish off an elite pack while in that form. That way I'm always killing trash in SS mode, thus my specialized gear doesn't feel wasted. But then the problem of feeling like the slot that Archon occupies is wasted still lingers. If only I could give up Teleport this wouldn't be so bad. haha..

Hi Malakai, it's been 2 weeks now that I've been running with this spec so here's my comments:

Well the good thing with running a Hybrid Archon/Sleet storm+Explosive blast is that you never really feel ''naked''. In another word, you are very strong in both forms. The best gearing options for this spec is to go with 24% movement speed and drop teleport. Meaning that Lacuni would be BIS because it also helps when you are in Archon form for mobility issue. I replaced Teleport with Familiar/Sparkfling for added DPS, which benefits hugely both forms.

Typical Archons build are using either Living lightning + Frost Nova or Wicked Wind + Frost Nova.

So basically, the Sleet Storm + Explosive blast combo are replacing them, which means that there are no wasted slot because you would have used either combinations (LL+FN or WW+FN) in a full archon build, so there's no ''Gimping'' feeling here because SS+EB is vastly stronger than both.

You are also right about never getting bored with it because it's like playing 2 spec in one :D
IMO, it's a pretty strong build if you choose to go Archon with a 2-hander route. With Arcane destruction and Skorn, the critcal hits are ridiculous and is instant full health regen. The elites becomes piece of cake with 90% + mitigations while in Archon, which is why abandonning Teleport is not really a problem. However like I said, you have to compensate the mobility lost by having 24% movement speed. If you want to Farm White MOBS, I would choose improved Archon rune instead of Archon destruction.

Overall, with the nice damage buff to both Sleet Storm & Archon in the next patch, this build will be even stronger. For now, it will be the build that I will run. I'm still looking for a nice Tal Rasha's amulet to complete my gearing setup.
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 4/19/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dear Master of Sleet Storm,

I am interested in playing this build after seeing the new buff in PTR. How is eDPS multiplier compare between now vs 1.08 PTR ?

Hmm, I don't really any eDPS numbers multiplier, but with the Buffs to ROF, it should be even better now, as MP8-MP9 was pretty quick already before 1.08 :D
Edited by Heroscaper#1533 on 4/20/2013 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Overall, with the nice damage buff to both Sleet Storm & Archon in the next patch, this build will be even stronger. For now, it will be the build that I will run.

Funny thing is that I think you're using Archon the way the developers intended, if that little blurb that Travis Day posted the other day is anything to go on. He said they didn't want people doing perma-Archon and were gonna change that in the future. They want people to use it as an emergency cooldown, much in the way that you use it with your build. Which is good for you because you won't have to make any major adjustments to your playstyle. Bad for others who have invested heavily into the perma or hybrid Archon playstyle. Time will tell.

With the big buff to Sleet Storm, I think I'm going to just stick with Sparkflint for my open ability slot. I'm not really having AP issues anymore since stuff dies a bit faster with the damage buff. And with all my +Ray of Frost crit stuff, I do more damage in normal form than in Archon anyhow. Plus I get to keep my beloved Teleport. :D

EDIT: Did you check out my new Sleet Storm video yet?

http://youtu.be/JQTuIrBxQLk
Edited by Malakai#1265 on 4/20/2013 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Overall, with the nice damage buff to both Sleet Storm & Archon in the next patch, this build will be even stronger. For now, it will be the build that I will run.

Funny thing is that I think you're using Archon the way the developers intended, if that little blurb that Travis Day posted the other day is anything to go on. He said they didn't want people doing perma-Archon and were gonna change that in the future. They want people to use it as an emergency cooldown, much in the way that you use it with your build. Which is good for you because you won't have to make any major adjustments to your playstyle. Bad for others who have invested heavily into the perma or hybrid Archon playstyle. Time will tell.

With the big buff to Sleet Storm, I think I'm going to just stick with Sparkflint for my open ability slot. I'm not really having AP issues anymore since stuff dies a bit faster with the damage buff. And with all my +Ray of Frost crit stuff, I do more damage in normal form than in Archon anyhow. Plus I get to keep my beloved Teleport. :D

EDIT: Did you check out my new Sleet Storm video yet?

http://youtu.be/JQTuIrBxQLk

Yes, that nerf to Archon wouldn't affect me at all.

Yes I watched your new video, very nice !! Your killing MOBs like it was MP2-3 holy sh?%?%"%$(*
That Grotesque Elite pack at the beginning was annoying as hell though haha.
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
Fun build. Would really benefit from the new teleport buff besides the Sleet Strom buff. But one gripe is that you do not get "reduced cost of Ray of Frost" items. I run out of AP fast. I guess its good to have Tals set bonus with this build. Infinite Sleet Storm would be awesome. You can have offensive passives rather than power hungry
Reply Quote
Bump !!

Since Sleet storms builds are getting more recognition recently, this guide might be useful for some of you, as lots of informations has been shared. It was written at the beginning of the 1.0.7 patch though.
Reply Quote
I'm gonna make the switch to this build and as you can imagine I have a ton of questions. Mostly because I'v put so much time into the game that I don't wanna screw up the build gearing wrong.

First off...would my ammy fit the build? It's important because I crafted it so if it'll work I'm gonna save a whole hell of a lot of gold.

I know you might not want to or have the time but what pieces do I really need to get rid of? After reading your guide I think I have some that I can keep.

I'm gonna read more and ask you some more questions as they pop up. I'm not aiming to play in mp10 anytime soon but I'd like to be able to play around in 6-8 so I can still play with my friends.
Reply Quote
I'm gonna make the switch to this build and as you can imagine I have a ton of questions. Mostly because I'v put so much time into the game that I don't wanna screw up the build gearing wrong.

First off...would my ammy fit the build? It's important because I crafted it so if it'll work I'm gonna save a whole hell of a lot of gold.

I know you might not want to or have the time but what pieces do I really need to get rid of? After reading your guide I think I have some that I can keep.

I'm gonna read more and ask you some more questions as they pop up. I'm not aiming to play in mp10 anytime soon but I'd like to be able to play around in 6-8 so I can still play with my friends.

Your crafted amulet is perfectly fine for the Sleet Storm build. In fact, a BIS amulet would a Mara's amulet similar to Malakai with ROF crit chance on it and those are too rare to rely on.

So you should focus on different pieces now that that your Amulet is pretty much set.

I would start to look for a new Weapon (Skorn if you choose the 2 handed route) and then the 3 pieces of Zunima's.
Reply Quote
Hi Hero, love what you've done with your gear these past months, especially armor. Just sick. Bookmarked for reference, Glass Cannon done right. Mine brings me down to 4700 armor, and even with my 17% -elite, that's still just equivalent of 6500 armor, well below your setup. Would like to see your godly buffed armor with Crystallize, for giggles.

Also thanks for this guide, I've checked it for info quite a few times.
Reply Quote
I'm going with the Skorn for sure. Is 1300 5.0 LS gonna cut it in mp8? I can probably swing one with more dps if I need to. I'v got 290mil to spend plus whatever I sell off.

What attack speed do I need to stay under?

Thanks for this guide btw
Reply Quote
Alright, just making sure it wasn't a strict number like CM wizards. I'm gonna look around the AH and start forming a plan. I'll message you Rafa if I have questions.

Thanks guys
Reply Quote
Resurrection bump of good info +1
Reply Quote
Malakai/Heroscaper,

I've been following this thread with great interest with the intent of gearing a wiz soon. Just a few questions:

1. How important is 24 MS in this build?
2. If I wanted 24 MS whats the other best slot? Tyraels? Innas? Lacunis?
3. Skull Grasp v SoJ? Why are you guys using Skull Grasp?
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 04:11 PMPosted by MisoHoney
1. How important is 24 MS in this build?

24 MS is up to the individual, really. Like, I'm perfectly ok with 12 if I have to (like in my 2H setup). Some people just can't stand it, though. So that's completely up to you.

2. If I wanted 24 MS whats the other best slot? Tyraels? Innas? Lacunis?

Personally, I think Tyrael's Might is the best for Sleet Storm... IF you can gear around it (which can be expensive to do if you want to use Glass Cannon in the build like I do).

If you go 1H with at least 2 sources of APoC, Inna's or Lacuni are both ok if you're unable to gear around Tyrael's Might. But it also really depends on how good of a crafted bracer you can get. If you have godly ones like I do, Lacuni's not really a good option. If you can't seem to get a good crafted bracer, though, a good Lacuni bracer is probably your best bet if you can afford it.

Really, though... you can use any of those 3 pieces and work around it to get sufficient ehp and dps for MP10 if it's within your budget. All of them have their downsides which can be made up for with other pieces.

3. Skull Grasp v SoJ? Why are you guys using Skull Grasp?

I use a Skull Grasp with bonus Ray of Frost CC for trash and then just swap in my SoJ for elites or when I'm doing VoA runs. If you want a ring that's good for both trash and elites without having to ring swap, then a Unity ring with an Intelligence and CHD roll, or a trifecta Wailing Host ring with Intelligence, or Wailing Host with average damage, intelligence, and CHD would be best.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Malakai
Personally, I think Tyrael's Might is the best for Sleet Storm... IF you can gear around it (which can be expensive to do if you want to use Glass Cannon in the build like I do).

Could you explain this further? Int Tyrael's seem to be going for cheap right now. My main concern is that you are losing ~200 Vit and a slot of AR from not having a Zuni Chest.
I was thinking of running High Vit Innas Pants with a Skorn setup - I don't think I can deal with less than 24 MS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]