Diablo® III

Sugested DH buffs skill by skill

Demon Hunters could use some love. While wealthy, well geared DHs seem to be doing fine, your average Joe DH simply can't gear up like other classes can. Sure we can survive, but we lack the ability to completely melt monsters like we should, that is unless you're a top 1%er. The same can not be said of the other classes now. We were nerfed into the ground in every patch and numerous hotfixes from 1.00 to 1.04 for class balance. The problem was not that we were ever overpowered, the other classes were gimp. That's changed over the past 3 patch cycles- all the other classes have recieved buffs (nerfs too to be fair), many of them doubled damage multipliers (while nerfing proc rates).

Many players are leaving the Demon Hunter class and gearing up other classes. I can't say as I blame them, watching other classes with lower sheet DPS killing much more quickly than we can. Seeing melee classes doing larger AoE damage and moving faster. Other classes regenerating the resources to spam their heavy hitting big spenders. We're balanced around patch 1.04, and there have been a lot of changes since then. Most notably Monster Power.

So here I have compiled a complete list of our skills and how I'd change them. Most damage buffs are fairly modest in my opinion. I'd like to think that the real problem is casting cost and the size of our AoE, and that's where the biggest changes can be seen. I also added in tweaks for some of the passives, I hope you get some luls out of Grenideer.

#1 Proc on Jagged Spikes

#2 Un-nerf Nether Tenticles

I've also listed those two below. It is such a big deal that it needs to be said twice. I put them up top too because these EVERY DH can agree on.

Primary skills

Hungering Arrow: Deals 125% damage, no rune changes

Entangling shot: Deals 100% damage, no rune changes

Bola Shot: No change to base damage. Increase base radius to 15 yards
Thunderball: 35% chance to stun primary target and 15% chance to knockback enemies in the explosion area
Bitter Pill: 25% chance to generate 2 Discipline -OR- 15% chance to generate 1 dicipline per hit
Imminent Doom: 225% damage to target, 160% damage to AoE

Grenades: Deals 115% damage
Cluster Grenades: Deals 130% damage, radius of 10 yards
Fire Bomb: Single grenade deals 160% damage
Gas Grenades: increase proc rate 15%

Secondary Skills

Impale: Reduce Hatred cost to 15

Rapid Fire: Deals 350% damage
Bombardment: 425% damage over 6 yard radius

Chakram: Reduce Hatred cost to 5
Suriken Cloud: Increase radius by 2 yards

Elemental Arrow: Deals 165% damage
Frost Arrow: Deals 180% damage
Nether Tentacles: Return to 1.00 mechanics, cut proc in half

Defensive Skills

Caltrops: No base changes
Jagged Spikes: Proc rate 0.125

Smoke Screen:
Lingering Fog: increase Discipline cost to 20, increase duration to 2 seconds
Choking Gas: Increase AoE and proc rate 15%

Shadow Power:
Well of Darkness: Decreases cost to 8 Discipline

Hunting

Vault:
Rattling Roll: Increase AoE to 10 yards
Trail of Cinders: Deals 666% damage over 5 seconds

Preparation: No changes

Companion: Pets now inherit movement speed
Ferrets: No longer attack enemies and only pick up gold

Marked for Death: No changes

Devices

Evasive Fire: Deals 150% damage, no rune changes

Fan of Knives: Reduce casting cost to 10 Hatred
Retaliate: Deals 575% damage

Spike Trap: Reduce casting cost to 25 Hatred and increase AoE to 10 yards

Sentry: Reduce cooldown to 5 seconds. All sentry runes proc CC effects but not LoH or LS. Chain of Torment remains unchanged and does proc LoH and LS
Vigilant Watcher: Removes Cooldown
Aid Station: Heals for 2% life

Archery

Strafe: Deals 150% damage per hit

Multishot: Reduce casting cost to 20, increase range by 5 yards, dispursion remains unchanged
Fire at Will: Reduces Hatred cost to 10
Full Broadside: Deals 225% damage

Cluster Arrow: Reduce casting cost to 30, 10% damage buff across the board for all runes

Rain of Vengance: Reduce cooldown to 20 seconds, increase base damage to 900%

Passives

Tactical Advantage: No changes

Thrill of the Hunt: No changes

Vengance: No changes

Steady Aim: No changes

Cull of the Weak: No changes

Night Stalker: No changes

Brooding: No changes

Hot Pursuit: Raises movement speed cap from equipped gear to 35% Grants additional 10% movement speed at full hatred and can break 35% cap

Archery: Dual weilding grants 20%CC, can break 75% CC cap

Numbing traps: No changes

Perfectionist: No changes

Custom Engineering: No changes

Grenadier: Grenade dropped on death deals 4000% damage over 25 yard radius. You have a 0.000001% chance to drop equipped items and a 0.001% chance to drop items from your inventory. BoA items may be picked up by other players and become bound to their account.

Sharpshooter: Increases CC by 2% per second, resets after 3 consecutive critical hits

Ballistics: No changes
Reply Quote
Great post mang!

I do have some input and ideas but will wait til im on a comp to type em!

And dear lord i hope that greneder goes thru.... Ill never use it but i want others too use it lulz
Reply Quote
Fully agree on all the buffs you suggested tho some passive need to be looked at.
Reply Quote
I don't think those changes would make much of a difference. They're too minor in my opinion (in terms of damage).

But that's just me.
Reply Quote
Hmm. No. I don't like your ideas.
Edited by phoen1x#2713 on 3/15/2013 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Grenadier: Grenade dropped on death deals 4000% damage over 25 yard radius. You have a 0.000001% chance to drop equipped items and a 0.001% chance to drop items from your inventory. BoA items may be picked up by other players and become bound to their account.

This is a joke right? Why should the DH have a chance to lose all their gear on an already dumb passive? Why not just rework it to provide something useful when you get low instead of dying like the other classes have?
Reply Quote
@ Flail, looking forward to it. I saw someone post in another thread for Brooding to do 3%LS, thought that was a good one.

@Devinewind, agreed some passives need looked at, I just couldn't come up with some good ones without them being totally OP.

@Thanos, I know it looks small, but some of the casting costs reduced by half means 2x the ability to spam already fairly potent spells. There's alwas room for adjustment

03/15/2013 06:45 AMPosted by phoen1x
Says the guy with a single level one character and one lifetime kill.
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 06:52 AMPosted by R4V3N0U5

This is a joke right? Why should the DH have a chance to lose all their gear on an already dumb passive? Why not just rework it to provide something useful when you get low instead of dying like the other classes have?
Yes and no. It actually has some thought behind it. #1 it makes you think twice about using that big grenade to zerg with. Maybe even buff the damage more, since you're supposedly carrying a cache of explosives with you right? #2 it actually gives HC players a chance to recover a piece of loot, provided they have nice friends.

But your suggestion about triggering something at low HP, or Hatred even is a good one.

Edit: by "chance to drop equipped items" I don't mean all of them!
Edited by Rav1n#1381 on 3/15/2013 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote

@Thanos, I know it looks small, but some of the casting costs reduced by half means 2x the ability to spam already fairly potent spells. There's alwas room for adjustment

I appreciate all the thought you've put into it. My issue isn't resources or survivability. I'm able to tank mp8 without dying or ever running out of hatred or discipline, even while standing in poison and molten and letting arcanes sweep by me or letting mortars fall on me (except for the act 2 warden mortars, those I need to get out of the way), it's just too slow for my liking (approx. 2 min per elite pack).

My issue is that I'm just not causing enough damage. I only have 180k DPS which is paltry I guess in DH terms but still, I would prefer to get higher damage multipliers over everything else.

But as I mentioned in my original reply, that's just me. I'm sure others have different view points.
Reply Quote
Thunderball: 35% chance to stun primary target and 15% chance to knockback enemies in the explosion area

To be honest i wouldn't like having a knockback effect on Bola Thunderball. Since alot of players (including myself) face tank on higher mp's we want the monsters to bunch up so our AOE abilities like SpikeTrap hit as many monsters as possible.

It might be better if it gave a 5% chance to stun all enemies in area of effect (12 yards)
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 07:23 AMPosted by bob778

To be honest i wouldn't like having a knockback effect on Bola Thunderball. Since alot of players (including myself) face tank on higher mp's we want the monsters to bunch up so our AOE abilities like SpikeTrap hit as many monsters as possible.

It might be better if it gave a 5% chance to stun all enemies in area of effect (12 yards)

Agreed. I use WF because I can't afford a Calamity and the knockback is a pain sometimes when I want them all bunched up over my traps.
Reply Quote
So let me guess. You like grenades and bolla shot, why u think those deserve buffs and others don't? Smoke screen 20 disc? You gotta be kidding me, they nerfed it badly long time ago, you want it to be nerfed even more? And the most stupid idea is grenadier, who on earth would use it?
Reply Quote

Says the guy with a single level one character and one lifetime kill.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/phoen1x-2713/hero/2592089

That guy plays on the EU server.

I don't like the changes to Grenadier and Sharp Shooter.

I think that Sharp Shooter should raise our base critical hit chance by X% so it doesn't reset after 1 succesful critical hit.
Reply Quote
I hope clustered bombs gets more buff in dammage at present if we compare to barbs hota dammage we are loosing.
Reply Quote
Hmm, some of the changes I like, others I do not. I think there could be a simple change.. give us an ability or passive that gives us a chance to gain 15 hatred on crit.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think the damage modifiers on some skills need to be increased even further. Monks got the damage from WoL doubled or was it tripled. Raising the damage on Elemetal arrow by 10% doesn't suddenly make it more viable at the high end. Should be about 190-200% imo. What about useless runes like Sticky trap for Spike traps? it should be redesigned to scale off monster health. Cluster arrow was actually a nice suggestion but I'd put the damage increase at another 50-60%, makes it spammable if you gear for it, but you have to sacrifice a passive and another damage modifier. Nice ideas overall.
Reply Quote
give us the 30% damage reduction in mp8 and beyond.. (sim to monks and barbs) so we dont have to rely on gloom to achieve similar results... and we can go back to vaulting and smoke screen in high MP's.
Reply Quote
@Bob778 & Thanos- I did consider %chance to stun, but thought "Hey big explosion, should make bodies fly! That'd be cool." I also know what you mean about KB and tanking, hopefully allowing us to do more damage means less of us tanking.

@Shndany- I've heard your idea for Sharp Shooter before, and it is a good one. I think we can at least agree that the skill needs adjusted somehow.

@KillFrenzy- I like it!

@Xtasis & BurningJC007- Cluster Arrow is a HUGE buff. 0 casting cost would be possible.
03/15/2013 07:30 AMPosted by phoen1x
So let me guess. You like grenades and bolla shot, why u think those deserve buffs and others don't? Smoke screen 20 disc? You gotta be kidding me, they nerfed it badly long time ago, you want it to be nerfed even more? And the most stupid idea is grenadier, who on earth would use it?

I do happen to like Grenades and Bola, however would drop them both for Nether Tenticles in a heartbeat if it worked like it used to. And notice that I buffed all the primary skills.

On Smoke Screen/Lingering Fog: I figured I'd get flamed by at least one person for that so here's my logic.

I think 20 disc is appriate for making the duration last as long as the cooldown. If you stack +10 max disc with base regen of 1 disc/sec you get 4 seconds of CC and damage immunity and it will take 20 seconds to regenerate enough disc for another 2 second shot. Sounds a bit like Serinity no? Not to mention that we've got Preparation, Nightstalker, Vengance, Bitter Pill, and Suppression Fire- surely you can generate an extra 9 disc a second and perma smoke, or at least enough to take down a nasty pack before taking a breath. Sound a bit like Wrath of the Berzerker/Thrive on Chaos? Also this forces Legacy Nat's users to put skills in thier build and stats on their gear that they normally wouldn't in order to achieve this.

Who would use Grenideer? Quite a few Hardcore players, that's for sure.

If you have some ideas, some constructive criticism that adds to the discussion please share. No need to troll for a flame war in here.
Reply Quote
Why would hardcore players use a passive ability that does absolutely nothing to help them?
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Trivan
Why would hardcore players use a passive ability that does absolutely nothing to help them?
3 reasons that I have already stated. #1) 0 casting cost Cluster Arrow. #2) When you die, a chance to nuke the screen and save your party from a bad situation. #3) A very small chance to recover a piece of your gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]