Diablo® III

you shouldn't be doing mp 8-10

that's what blizzard should keep in mind.

right now the higher the mp, the higher the life and the harder the hits mobs make.

i say take it one step further. more skill output.

say mp 1-4 an elite can throw 2 of those revolving arcane. so an elite blue pack will be able to throw 6 at a time. now.. at mp5-7 each can throw 3. mp8-10 4.. x 3 so that's 12.. that's crazy many.

maybe even shorten the downtime. elite can throw 2 seconds after the arcane disappears.

this can be applicable to most skills.. ice.. molten.. poison.. etc.

to run this, it'd be best played with a party. separate the elites. like when D3 was first released..
Reply Quote
So what you are saying is that MP 8-10 should be so scaled up in difficulty that even beast players get smashed by the mobs there? ;)

I don't hate that idea... It might bring back the need for tankier builds...
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile

right now the higher the mp, the higher the life and the harder the hits mobs make.

say mp 1-4 an elite can throw 2 of those revolving arcane. so an elite blue pack will be able to throw 6 at a time. now.. at mp5-7 each can throw 3. mp8-10 4.. x 3 so that's 12.. that's crazy many.

maybe even shorten the downtime. elite can throw 2 seconds after the arcane disappears.

to run this, it'd be best played with a party. separate the elites. like when D3 was first released..

Improving the monster AI for each MP difficulty would actually eliminate the need for some of the absurd HP scaling used at the higher MP levels. Simply taking their abilities and "doubling it", as it were and/or shortening the cooldown when they're already painfully short does nothing to promote better builds or enjoyment. If you remember back in 1.0.4 and the havoc that the elites were causing players because they ignored their ability cooldowns (i.e., screens literally full of Arcane Sentries, etc), you'd not be asking for this to be implemented.

It was hated immensely back then. It'd be hated even more now, especially since mobs are already borderline spamming their attacks (and in the case of the Frozen affix, actually are spamming it).

So what you are saying is that MP 8-10 should be so scaled up in difficulty that even beast players get smashed by the mobs there? ;)

Higher MP levels should be about skill, not about being one-shot. That'd be akin to going back to how Inferno was in the first place, where mobs did so much damage to you that unless you constantly used all your resources for defensive abilities, you'd get one-shot, and even if you did defend, you were usually left with a "second hit kills" scenario.

Again, we've been there, and we don't want to go back to that ever again. That isn't skill based gameplay, it's just plain cheap and aggravating gameplay, and it's one of the things that made Diablo 3 look just god awful after launch.

Refinement of the AI is a good option. Jacking up what the affixes can drop all at once, not so much.

Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
The one and only thing I hate about playing a high MP level is it's not rewarding.

In an effort to not "force" people into MP10 (Which they're already forced into if you think about it) they made the rewards not scale appropriately.

I really don't like just walking over an enemy and having it fall over dead. At that point it feels like I'm playing Normal mode.

I am in full support of anything that makes MP scale with more difficulty instead of artificial difficulty, but unless we get rid of this preconceived notion that MP is ONLY there for "challenge" then it's not worth it to play.

All anyone would be doing by playing a higher MP level is gimping their "efficiency"

03/18/2013 09:33 PMPosted by TheTias
Simply taking their abilities and "doubling it", as it were and/or shortening the cooldown when they're already painfully short does nothing to promote better builds or enjoyment.

It's pseudo difficulty. If it takes a better set of gear to overcome the encounter instead of a new set of skills or a different playstyle, then it's not a real change in difficulty.

Adding one new affix per difficulty? That's a real difficulty curve.

Making abilities do more damage and giving mobs more health? That's nothing but a gear check.
Reply Quote
With my current barb that is not even "geared" compared to those top 1000 ones, MP10 is easy.
So it IS rewarding for those who can really "farm" it easily.

I know how "really" good their gears are, so its not impossible that MP10 is just like MP0 for them.

EDIT: Yup, i liked the REAL difficulty, not just additional HP/Damage. Ice orbs casts more frequently and with larger range, arcane, molten, plaque, etc. Now thats HARD! It's like disco with all the arcane lights beams everwhere.
Edited by Xuu#6972 on 3/18/2013 10:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
With my current barb that is not even "geared" compared to those top 1000 ones, MP10 is easy.
So it IS rewarding for those who can really "farm" it easily.

I know how "really" good their gears are, so its not impossible that MP10 is just like MP0 for them.

That's the point though... It's only lucrative as a farming option if it's a cake walk.

MP10 is moderately challenging for my undergeared Barbarian and I would have a lot of fun with this game if I actually played it.

But I see about 1/3 of the XP per hour and 1/4 of the loot I would see if I just played MP4 and did Alkaizer runs.

In other words, unless I just walk up to it and it falls over dead, it's not efficient. It would be nice to kill something half as fast and reap at least the same reward.
Reply Quote

Improving the monster AI for each MP difficulty would actually eliminate the need for some of the absurd HP scaling used at the higher MP levels. Simply taking their abilities and "doubling it", as it were and/or shortening the cooldown when they're already painfully short does nothing to promote better builds or enjoyment. If you remember back in 1.0.4 and the havoc that the elites were causing players because they ignored their ability cooldowns (i.e., screens literally full of Arcane Sentries, etc), you'd not be asking for this to be implemented.

It was hated immensely back then. It'd be hated even more now, especially since mobs are already borderline spamming their attacks (and in the case of the Frozen affix, actually are spamming it).

Higher MP levels should be about skill, not about being one-shot. That'd be akin to going back to how Inferno was in the first place, where mobs did so much damage to you that unless you constantly used all your resources for defensive abilities, you'd get one-shot, and even if you did defend, you were usually left with a "second hit kills" scenario.

Again, we've been there, and we don't want to go back to that ever again. That isn't skill based gameplay, it's just plain cheap and aggravating gameplay, and it's one of the things that made Diablo 3 look just god awful after launch.

Refinement of the AI is a good option. Jacking up what the affixes can drop all at once, not so much.

Their is absolutely no comparison between the gear that is readily available now and the gear that was available @ 1.04... I'm nowhere near godly geared, I use a shield and have over 1million EHP.. over 2million when you add dodge and block... and over 800k tDPS...

I can swap out brawler for Tough as nails and sprint for Warcry (post nerf) and have AR800+ 10,500armor, 60k hps, and 225k sheet dps... how many players were even close to that @ 1.04 or prior?

The gear is available to be successful with Inferno damage pre nerfs...
Edited by Shango#1124 on 3/18/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yah I should, I want essences:

1 MP8 run in 28.5 minutes yielded me 12 essences
2 MP2 runs in 29.2 minutes yielded me 7 essences

kthxbai
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 3/18/2013 11:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
only way i woudl farm below mp8 is if i want to farm gems/tome of secrets for crafting or try out a underpowered spec

and for xp its also by far the best for most classes to do high mp arreat crater spam people are getting 150m-200m xp/hr so basically paragon 100 in 2 days
Edited by Abacus#1452 on 3/18/2013 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
03/18/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Shango
The gear is available to be successful with Inferno damage pre nerfs...

It is now. It wasn't then, except on the AH or if you used exploits to get past where you were normally brick walled.

03/18/2013 11:33 PMPosted by Shango
Their is absolutely no comparison between the gear that is readily available now and the gear that was available @ 1.04... I'm nowhere near godly geared, I use a shield and have over 1million EHP.. over 2million when you add dodge and block... and over 800k tDPS...

Whcih has nothing to do with the fact that players do not want to return to a system where the gear couldn't get players where they wanted to progress to. The system being asked for in the post I quoted would return us effectively to the state we were in at launch. No amount of gear is going to make that enjoyable for the vast majority of players.

Reply Quote
Running high mp has already improved.

i'm getting more rare, legendary, and gold drops. Now more XP with the latest patch.

Anyway, yes, it'd be better to increase difficulty rather than scaling HP and Damage.

I basically want to bring the need for a party back. "Tanks" and "DPS". Separating mobs. Moving to areas with advantage.

It may also minimise undergeared and underskilled players from joining high MPs. Before, there were numerous rage quits when playing Act 2+ - myself included. Most was stuck at Act 1.
Reply Quote
MP10 mobs don't even hit that hard. It's basically massive HP pools that require very high dps to farm effectively. It's just a DPS check, but it's hardly difficult at all. Only a few skills force you to move around and doge stuff, perhaps plagued and arcane beams. The rest is just tank and spank. Heck, even my DH (a class alleged to not be able to take any damage whatsoever for some reason....) can tank those things barely moving out of stuff.

Personally i like the approach PoE took with difficulty, where a single mob wouldn't be able to 1shot you, but many of them stacking several debuffs can be potentially lethal even for those in fantastic gear. It's way more elaborate than the rather lazy raw dps/hp scaling, and makes people think about divide and conquer strategies.
Reply Quote
MP10 is rewarding enough if your class can clear keep depths 2 in a reasonable time. Players are getting like 140-160mil exp an hour just farming keep depths 2.

The problem is, Barbs are the best at it, other classes can do it but never as good as a barb can.
Reply Quote
but they do hit hard. i definitely feel it with my wizard at 4k armor and 1.1k resist. admittedly,i need more armor. missiles hit hard!

anyway, hopefully this is on blizzards radar too!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]