Diablo® III

Drop rate

I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this. So you can't find any items and legendarys are hard to come by unless you play all day long which some people cannot do. Stuff in the AH will become more expensive. Just because some people can play all day doesn't mean we all can. I am getting real sick of this.
Edited by Araxom on 3/20/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Quality will be much better meaning we wouldn't be vendoring without yawning on loot.
Reply Quote
Sounds like you only heard/read half the story. They're lowering the drop rates for rare items (and probably legendaries, too), but they're buffing the stats on items so when something does drop, it has a better chance of being worthwhile.

They're trying to bring it back to when you see a rare item, it may actually mean something, instead of "oh, vendor/scrap it".

If you can't play all day... well, that's life.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/19/2013 04:53 PMPosted by koolguy
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this.

As Griffin mentioned, that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our Developer Journal: Itemization Update. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Basically, item level 63 loot will actually be item level 63 instead of item level 40 - 63.

Currently, item level means nothing except for maximum roll potential. With this change when you pick up an item level 63 piece of loot, the values will actually reflect what power the item contains.

You should see a vast increase in usable loot with a decrease at the rate of which you acquire them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/19/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this.

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604395#3"]Griffin mentioned[/url], that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url]. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

" and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. "

I am glad that this is what you guys are GOING to finally do, in the distant future. But as of right now, on a scale of 1-10, diablo 3 is no where near what I quoted. Diablo 3 is a negative 100000000, on that scale of 1-10.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Everybody that turns on diablo 3 to farm, knows that they will get NOTHING.

Unless they have 10,000 damage buffed.
or
Unless they play 24 hours non stop and die in the process.
Reply Quote

Diablo 3 is a negative 100000000, on that scale of 1-10.

or

Reading all the numbers at your comment, why do i suspect that a good trifecta in your opinion is something with

90% IAS, 100% CC, 3500% CD ?

Throwing big numbers didn't make your argument more convincing, unless if you''re running election for the village council..
Reply Quote

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604395#3"]Griffin mentioned[/url], that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url]. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

Let's be real here for a minute. You've been preaching this same message for almost a year. As of right now no and i do mean no one i play with trusts that you will takes the chains off the money factory auction house and design a game for the people. This game will always live with a stigma because the auction house regulates everything. I really wish you didn't care about revenue from this part of your multi-facet company. Players can't farm for themselves right now with the drop rates. Your excuse for this was the auction is so right there, so easy to access. Have you played for 1k hours yet? have you really tried to build a character on these drop rates?

Diablo 3 is choked out by an auction house with real money involved. The fact that you haven't dropped the floor on gold and third party sites are like what 5 cents per million speaks volumes. The Dupes bring your company more income so those problems are never addressed. I want to believe you, and I want this game to be like the end all be all for me but you guys have to prove that. Adjusting your drop rates with every other patch and regulating how the affix rolls are isn't fun. Enough's enough man. Travis actually plays Diablo 3, and i can tell that by how the man addresses issues. You need more people at Blizzard putting in hours on the games you develop and the problems are obvious. So again, when you unchain this game and let it be a gamers game not some Auction house simulator with a great combat system outside of a few glitches like spamming serenity but the game only understands Fists of Thunder until my 7th or 15th time i press it. It might become something people irl speak highly of. Not the game blizzard flopped on.

Edit - I have hope because you guys have the tools in your arsenal to make any game amazing. Just do it.
Edited by Caremeter#1444 on 3/19/2013 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cant wait for itemization changes. Been back playing alot of hardcore lately, and over all, the games gotten considerable better in terms of the direction Blizzard is taking.

However, that said, the most concerning thing to me in a diablo game, is the items. These changes will hopefully bring back that good ole diablo feeling when finding loot.

As is now, im really enjoying hardcore, however, i definitely feel im doing a little more grinding than i should need to, in order to gear properly. That said, it is HC, and a little extra farming is definitely not a bad thing,

GL Blizz.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Diablo 3 is a negative 100000000, on that scale of 1-10.

or

Reading all the numbers at your comment, why do i suspect that a good trifecta in your opinion is something with

90% IAS, 100% CC, 3500% CD ?

Throwing big numbers didn't make your argument more convincing, unless if you''re running election for the village council..

You must be a botter, because there are 1000000000 threads complaining about the lack of reward for time spent in d3. Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

Are you seriously arguing with what I said? You must be a botter, you don't want people like me to get gear, you want us to buy it from you.
Reply Quote
It's a lot easier to find good legendary items than rare items of similar stats.

And some ppl still don't admit why this game has fatal flaw.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Here's a snippet:

I will go read the entire post, but I hope this time you guys consider everything you do carefully. For me personally I have pretty much completely lost the initiative to upgrade my barb due to the cost of items, however the opposite can also be true if you get all BIS gear and "max out" your character then that also kills the will to farm. The trick is the balance. Right now the chances to get a good item are extreme with the ranges items can roll. Lets take a "for instance".

If you have 4 desirable stats that can roll on an item and the range on them all is 20-100, the chances of getting all 4 to roll and having all 4 in the upper ranges is really, abysmally, low. This is what we have now. If you take those and decrease the drop rates by 75% but tighten up the values 75% you havent given the same amount of good loot, you have increased it considerably since chances are multiplied. The only time your example would work is if you only wanted one roll, but for every roll you increase, that chance is multiplied. Say in this example 90+ is good. If you have 80 rolls and you want the upper 10, thats 1/8 considered to be "good". Now if you need 4 of those, your chances would be something like .125^4, which would be a .000244140625 chance, or 2/100 of a %. Not good. If you increase the minimum of those rolls but 1/4 the drops, say make the range start at 80 (75% more in the range it could roll before), and you want good rolls, then you are looking at an item that has a 50% chance on each roll of being "good". Now, your chances are .5^4, or .0625, aka 6.25%.

We just increased the roll chance by 75%, decreased the loot chance by 75%, but ended up with a "better loot multiplier" of 256, or we are now 256 times more likely for those rolls to all roll good on this item. Previously,, even one low roll could ruin this item, making it very unlikely to happen.

For the record, I dont sell on RMAH, and would be glad to get some good items, and if drops were increased the AH (any) can DIAF for all I care. I just wanted to express how easy a change like this is able to gear everyone for BIS gear in a very short time, leaving everyone to complain about how they are uber and dont want to farm anymore because they are 100% geared.

I just dont want the "double it" approach to do too much damage without it being completely thought through. Good items flooding the AH means it costs 5m to gear everyone in full BIS gear and I dont think that is the fix anyone wants.
Reply Quote
Heh Guys,

Here my take on this drop rate.. if they can make me save a blue drop in my stash then the D3 dev team have done their job... example i have a blue balrog armor in d2 lod that has still usefullness for me and even for my merc... and this is a blue drop...if they say they want fewer drop but with a better stats on it it better be equal or even better than d2 lod drop. they have better done their homework on how stats should roll. If they can make feel like ohman i almost got that items that can be godly ..since i didnt get it now i will keep going for it that ever elusive godly items...to make it a statement let's just make it like d2 lod..how the drop rate lured you into playing for years.
Reply Quote
Part of the problem with itemization is NOT "balance" between "BiS" gear and "trash" gear.

Niether BiS nor Trash should exist! Character progression(including Gear) is the trick!

Godly gear should be extremely Rare, but usefull gear should be uncommon and yet findable at ALL levels.

Progression and leveling up should be fun.

The hunt for that Godly and very elusive Gear would then be in the "endgame".
This "godly" gear would not be flooding the AH and will still be very expensive.

The GOOD and usefull gear(which is exactly what these new RARE items will become), WILL eventually become common, but that is unavoidable. It is NOT BiS!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

You must be a botter, because there are 1000000000 threads complaining about the lack of reward for time spent in d3. Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

Are you seriously arguing with what I said? You must be a botter, you don't want people like me to get gear, you want us to buy it from you.

What an idiot.
Yeh whoever 'has reward' is a botter. Satisfied?

Reported. Whoever is arguing with the fact that x time spent = no rewards in d3; whoever is arguing with that fact, MIGHT be a potential botter. The evidence to support that x time = hilarious rewards, is present EVERYWHERE. Present on the forums, in game chat, certain gaming sites, personal experience, experience of friends etc.

Learn to read, and you call me an idiot? Ironic. Reported for harassment. I would insult you back, but I don't want to break the rules and get banned.
Reply Quote
View profile
03/19/2013 04:53 PMPosted by koolguy
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this. So you can't find any items and legendarys are hard to come by unless you play all day long which some people cannot do. Stuff in the AH will become more expensive. Just because some people can play all day doesn't mean we all can. I am getting real sick of this.

People like this just make me want to punch a kitten... learn to read... consider the facts etc. I've been advocating doing this for 6 months now (less = more drops)... will anyone give me a nod.. nope... nor will I ever see a blue comment on my posts... but after seeing squirt in the Hidden Camp in Act 2... I know you read my stuff Blizzard... ANYWAY... I think you are all on the right track! Keep up the good work!
Reply Quote
View profile
Reported. Whoever is arguing with the fact that x time spent = no rewards in d3; whoever is arguing with that fact, MIGHT be a potential botter. The evidence to support that x time = hilarious rewards, is present EVERYWHERE. Present on the forums, in game chat, certain gaming sites, personal experience, experience of friends etc.

Learn to read, and you call me an idiot? Ironic. Reported for harassment. I would insult you back, but I don't want to break the rules and get banned.

Remember, people still think this is WoW 2.0 and they think that time= better stuff and/or a better players... it's hogwash. The game is luck based and a person that has 2000 elite kills should have the same chance at getting anything in this game from day 1. You entitled little turds that play 12 hours a day and call it "work" just annoy the living crap out of me :(
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 05:46 PMPosted by Herppderpp

According to your theory all items on AH are actually "fabricated" to be sold on the AH by Blizzard?

C'mon man grow some brains before you type.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]