Diablo® III

Drop rate

90 Orc Death Knight
03/19/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Fireblade
Everybody that turns on diablo 3 to farm, knows that they will get NOTHING.

According to your theory all items on AH are actually "fabricated" to be sold on the AH by Blizzard?

C'mon man grow some brains before you type.

I am not going to explain exactly what I meant by that. I don't mean what I said 100% literally. Apparently you are not smart enough to realize what I mean, then you tell me to grow some brains. Another ironic poster.
Reply Quote

Reading all the numbers at your comment, why do i suspect that a good trifecta in your opinion is something with

90% IAS, 100% CC, 3500% CD ?

Throwing big numbers didn't make your argument more convincing, unless if you''re running election for the village council..

You must be a botter, because there are 1000000000 threads complaining about the lack of reward for time spent in d3. Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

Are you seriously arguing with what I said? You must be a botter, you don't want people like me to get gear, you want us to buy it from you.

Naah, Not on WHAT you said. More on HOW you said it. What's your obsession with big number ?

There you go throwing the number 1.000.000.000 threads. *shrug* I admit though, it make it sound more dramatic *clap hand*

What an idiot.
Yeh whoever 'has reward' is a botter. Satisfied?

Reported. Whoever is arguing with the fact that x time spent = no rewards in d3; whoever is arguing with that fact, MIGHT be a potential botter. The evidence to support that x time = hilarious rewards, is present EVERYWHERE. Present on the forums, in game chat, certain gaming sites, personal experience, experience of friends etc.

Learn to read, and you call me an idiot? Ironic. Reported for harassment. I would insult you back, but I don't want to break the rules and get banned.

So people really need to read your so called "argument" in herpderpish language like when you said "you must be a botter", you actually mean "you MIGHT be POTENTIAL botter".
Reply Quote
Increasing the drop rates, and squeezing the spread simply ruins current economy. People spent lots of money for items they have.

Like my DML.

Which is far from a perfect example. But, 20 ias and 14% bola shot is pretty nice.

What your saying is ... lets increase the chance of a roll like mine 3 to 4 fold, but lower drop rates only 25%.

So my DMLs value goes from a hypothetical 100 mill to 100k.

Instead of changing what we have become accustom to, because people cry and whine on the forums, why not add new items and fix some of the broken ones? Like the set bow to natalyas. Perfect example of a potential 3rd option to the DH as a bow...and yet no one uses it.

It could roll much better, no one would complain. No one by calamity and manticore. Ok, some out there still use wf for some reason. Would be nice to rock a legacy set with calamity and a nats ref with a nice set bow...get the extra cc... oh wait, is that why the bow remains useless?

My rare ring. A trifecta with decent dexterity, how common will that be? Should I sell it now, and just buy another one when the new patch comes out?

What about something other then 4 gems to add to sockets? What about buffing other skills with charms, or new socketable items. Caltrops for example...it is what it is and no way to enhance it.

I think instead of reducing drop rates and squeezing spread you should think about adding other stuff to the game, and fix some broken items.

A good item game...is a game that has lots of items generated, with a large spread. So what if like 1% of gamers cry and moan. And its all about 1% of players too. With a large spread in rolls it makes good items valuable and rare...

With your new take on items, it makes all mempos roll 6 cc. And ya, if you got one now, liquify it, hold gold, and just buy a new one.

Another good question. How will we differentiate pre patch items and the new ones? You already made legacy items.

More on the DH here. Say what you want. The natalyas set was totally nerfed, when pretty much all other sets were buffed. How, no more discipline regen. I know, you need a near perfect set to get decent damage on the legacy, but the disc regen is just so valuable.

You guys are not thinking about how to improve broken items, your just taking the simple way out, which is just to make all items pretty much the same.

Before the patch is release, I think you should wait 6 months and rework the item ideas. Decreasing drops and sqeezing the spread is more of a quick bandaid then anything. In a month, when everyone has perfect items, everyone will be going "okay, what next".

Because all builds and gear setups will be the same.

03/19/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this.

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604395#3"]Griffin mentioned[/url], that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url]. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

You must be a botter, because there are 1000000000 threads complaining about the lack of reward for time spent in d3. Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

Are you seriously arguing with what I said? You must be a botter, you don't want people like me to get gear, you want us to buy it from you.

Naah, Not on WHAT you said. More on HOW you said it. What's your obsession with big number ?

There you go throwing the number 1.000.000.000 threads. *shrug* I admit though, it make it sound more dramatic *clap hand*

Reported. Whoever is arguing with the fact that x time spent = no rewards in d3; whoever is arguing with that fact, MIGHT be a potential botter. The evidence to support that x time = hilarious rewards, is present EVERYWHERE. Present on the forums, in game chat, certain gaming sites, personal experience, experience of friends etc.

Learn to read, and you call me an idiot? Ironic. Reported for harassment. I would insult you back, but I don't want to break the rules and get banned.

So people really need to read your so called "argument" in herpderpish language like when you said "you must be a botter", you actually mean "you MIGHT be POTENTIAL botter".

Whatever, didn't read. I would rather play games/do other things, than read everything you posted, & engage in an egotistical internet argument you. You are a nobody. Just an annoying little blimp of energy on the internet.
Reply Quote
Increasing the drop rates, and squeezing the spread simply ruins current economy. People spent lots of money for items they have.

Like my DML.

Which is far from a perfect example. But, 20 ias and 14% bola shot is pretty nice.

What your saying is ... lets increase the chance of a roll like mine 3 to 4 fold, but lower drop rates only 25%.

So my DMLs value goes from a hypothetical 100 mill to 100k.

Instead of changing what we have become accustom to, because people cry and whine on the forums, why not add new items and fix some of the broken ones? Like the set bow to natalyas. Perfect example of a potential 3rd option to the DH as a bow...and yet no one uses it.

It could roll much better, no one would complain. No one by calamity and manticore. Ok, some out there still use wf for some reason. Would be nice to rock a legacy set with calamity and a nats ref with a nice set bow...get the extra cc... oh wait, is that why the bow remains useless?

My rare ring. A trifecta with decent dexterity, how common will that be? Should I sell it now, and just buy another one when the new patch comes out?

What about something other then 4 gems to add to sockets? What about buffing other skills with charms, or new socketable items. Caltrops for example...it is what it is and no way to enhance it.

I think instead of reducing drop rates and squeezing spread you should think about adding other stuff to the game, and fix some broken items.

A good item game...is a game that has lots of items generated, with a large spread. So what if like 1% of gamers cry and moan. And its all about 1% of players too. With a large spread in rolls it makes good items valuable and rare...

With your new take on items, it makes all mempos roll 6 cc. And ya, if you got one now, liquify it, hold gold, and just buy a new one.

Another good question. How will we differentiate pre patch items and the new ones? You already made legacy items.

More on the DH here. Say what you want. The natalyas set was totally nerfed, when pretty much all other sets were buffed. How, no more discipline regen. I know, you need a near perfect set to get decent damage on the legacy, but the disc regen is just so valuable.

You guys are not thinking about how to improve broken items, your just taking the simple way out, which is just to make all items pretty much the same.

Before the patch is release, I think you should wait 6 months and rework the item ideas. Decreasing drops and squeezing the spread is more of a quick bandaid then anything. In a month, when everyone has perfect items, everyone will be going "okay, what next".

Because all builds and gear setups will be the same.

It's not that bad of an idea. the reduced drop rate actually meant so the price wont drop too much. The main objective is not to increase drop rate, it's actually to reduce clutter.

The more you play, the more exploding loot pinata become annoying. It's like shifting through garbage. The idea is so people wont have to wade through so many useless item to find a worthy one.

*shrug* hope they remove white and gray (and blue) along with reducing rare on inferno.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this.

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604395#3"]Griffin mentioned[/url], that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url]. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

That's not going to help though. The problem with itemization is that only certain stats are valuable for particular slots. If you are going to make those rolls better we are just looking at crappy items that are slightly less crappy but still worthless. It won't change anything.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Herppderpp
Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

Lack of reward for the time spent. Lack of reward for the time spent.
Reply Quote
Darkangel you saved me the trouble of pointing out the math ^^;

I was reading the post... noticed the example and just started laughing, and thought, here is someone not understanding probabilities ^^

Yeah sure, the odds for 1 roll that is perfect is the same... but not for multiple rolls or "good enough" rolls. Those odds just shoot through the roof ^^

Thanks Vaeflare! I know you might have dumbed down the example or you know... just use it as an example, but it was hilarious ^^

Edit: Ops forgot to say why this is good btw:

LESS JUNK TO PICK UP!!!

If you have to pick up 10 times less stuff = 10 times less times spend identifying/muling/trading/ah-ing

If those said items give 10 times the mats when DEed = Same amount of mats as before, but with less time spend DE-ing

Just for the love of whatever you find holy, don't let Vaeflare adjust the probabilities ^^;

Another solution would just be to give us a configurable auto-pickup :P
Edited by Elvis#1501 on 3/19/2013 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Caremeter

Here's a snippet:

Let's be real here for a minute. You've been preaching this same message for almost a year. As of right now no and i do mean no one i play with trusts that you will takes the chains off the money factory auction house and design a game for the people. This game will always live with a stigma because the auction house regulates everything. I really wish you didn't care about revenue from this part of your multi-facet company. Players can't farm for themselves right now with the drop rates. Your excuse for this was the auction is so right there, so easy to access. Have you played for 1k hours yet? have you really tried to build a character on these drop rates?

Diablo 3 is choked out by an auction house with real money involved. The fact that you haven't dropped the floor on gold and third party sites are like what 5 cents per million speaks volumes. The Dupes bring your company more income so those problems are never addressed. I want to believe you, and I want this game to be like the end all be all for me but you guys have to prove that. Adjusting your drop rates with every other patch and regulating how the affix rolls are isn't fun. Enough's enough man. Travis actually plays Diablo 3, and i can tell that by how the man addresses issues. You need more people at Blizzard putting in hours on the games you develop and the problems are obvious. So again, when you unchain this game and let it be a gamers game not some Auction house simulator with a great combat system outside of a few glitches like spamming serenity but the game only understands Fists of Thunder until my 7th or 15th time i press it. It might become something people irl speak highly of. Not the game blizzard flopped on.

Edit - I have hope because you guys have the tools in your arsenal to make any game amazing. Just do it.

The RMAH isn't the problem. I'm not sure if you played a lot of Diablo 2 or not, but every single legendary item, runeword, and currency, as well as every good-amazing item in that game was purchasable on hundreds and hundreds of sites for a few $ a piece. If Blizz didn't put in the RMAH, all it would do is make legit players suffer terribly at the hands of those who weren't buying legit, or were too scared to for whatever reason. The RMAH levels the playing field for everyone, and I'm saying this as someone who hasn't spent any money on this game also.
You either work a lot, or play a lot. In either case, you can devote enough time/money to this game to make it worth it, or you can do neither and simply play casually.

At the end of the day, what the other guy has on his character shouldn't mean anything to you, unless you are PVPing with them. We don't have PVP yet, so it doesn't matter. Once PVP is added, there will likely be a gear score, or a matching system that goes off wins/losses that puts you w/ people more your gear/skill level. I honestly can't understand why these 2 arguments have been in the game since the start in a non-competitive action RPG. Does it bother you if I hack in Skyrim? Same thing here.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 08:34 PMPosted by Leoricbane
The more you play, the more exploding loot pinata become annoying. It's like shifting through garbage.

That is such a good analogy. Killing an elite/gob is like having a garbage can tipped over your head. :-)
Reply Quote
then they should change things this way without affecting the drop rate.

a) id all (coming anyway)
b) combine 5 items -> some affixes upgrade to i63 range (eg; ias becomes 8%-9%) random choice only. item becomes BOA.

---
oh yeah. make rares then drop > 1 tears/1 essence.. (ie: some probability of bonus salvage items) so that over the course of 10 hrs of pure farm on 1.07 vs reduced rare patch, it adds up to the same amount of salvaged items.

OR reduce the gold cost of crafting.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/19/2013 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road."

I seem to remember reading a very similar thing around beta time. Not too soon after you nerfed drops from chests/breakables into the ground.
Edited by MSTRKRFTDNNR#1324 on 3/19/2013 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Seriously. Why don't they just bring back the Mystic and have her game mechanics so she can swap out useless stats for needed ones.

For example, say you're a Demon Hunter and you've picked up a bow that has something like, +200 int. Why not have the game mechanics for the Mystic so you can take that +200 int bow to her and swap out a large percentage of that intelligence for dexterity... Easiest solution to the problem.. that way junk can keep dropping and when it does, all you'll need to do is take it to a Mystic to fix.

[edit] - chances are though, we probably won't see her till an expansion.

And, is itemization the only thing that is being focused on for 1.0.8... if so, it's pretty disappointing.. I'm still waiting for ACTUAL PvP as brawling gets boring after 5 minutes.... I'm hoping for more from 1.0.8
Edited by Rush#1320 on 3/19/2013 10:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

And, is itemization the only thing that is being focused on for 1.0.8... if so, it's pretty disappointing.. I'm still waiting for ACTUAL PvP as brawling gets boring after 5 minutes.... I'm hoping for more from 1.0.8

Sorry to give more bad news, but Itemization is NOT in 1.0.8.

1.0.8 major point is monster density change.

here we go..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8087879561?page=4#76
Edited by ImmortalDuke#6485 on 3/19/2013 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Sorry to give more bad news, but Itemization is NOT in 1.0.8.

1.0.8 major point is monster density change.

here we go..

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_med6veIenp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Elvis
Darkangel you saved me the trouble of pointing out the math ^^

Ah good someone read it. Sometimes when i get all geeky I wonder if anyone bothers to read the long drawn out posts to explain points like that or if everyone just goes TL;DR, especially when no one comments on them for a number of posts/pages.

I am sure they will test it to find out a good balance, but when I see stuff like that posted my eye twitches uncontrollably. :P
Reply Quote
View profile
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413082331?page=1

One of my threads from last year....
Reply Quote
I like the itemization stuff.. I think it's a great idea

it eats into our gold pool though

We wont have as much to sell and we wont be able to earn as much gold

it is already really hard to compete with the botters... it would be a shame for this to eat into my gold :(
Reply Quote

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner.

The thing is, Diablo 2 got this perfect over 10 years ago: just look at the longevity of the game. Why did you break something that was so much fun. Hubris?
Reply Quote
Itemization is just one part of the problem and the devs won't find a winning formula if they just look at this narrow field. The main problem, that every player has just one single primary stat that determines the amount of damage and the value of drops, is not being taken into consideration. In certain others Diablo games the skills - and more specifically the skill levels - were equally important for damage output, allowing for a lot more viable builds and less dependence on gear.
The point being that it's wrong to try and fix itemization without fixing the entire game design first.
None of the blue posts so far has indicated that devs "get it". Even Mr. Travis Day of the Smooth Talks has failed to display a new grasp of the big picture. He wrote in another thread that the devs should be mindful about sending ripples into the player community when making changes. I humbly suggest that those damn ripples better be a full force tsunami.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]