Diablo® III

Drop rate

03/19/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

So everything is going to roll 75+ intelligence. I know many barbs that will be disappointed!!! Good thing for Wiz and WD, but other classes lose big time if this becomes real!!! Can't you find another way to buff wiz and wd?
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Herppderpp
Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

You must

1.) Post under your D3 tag
2.) Find new friends
3.) Play more characters.

I have a not too big friends list, but the majority of the time i'm on, someone is on playing. I look at the gear I find because it's not all gonna be for my monk. Lots of stuff I find is good for my other characters.
Reply Quote
There also needs to be more diversity in what drops. What made Diablo II such a fun game was that a good drop could be anything from a good charm to a rune to good weapons / armor, to even just getting plain armor that had the four sockets you needed.

I hate to think how many hours i've played, but apart from an ammy, i think everything else was bought on the gold AH.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 10:28 AMPosted by andersx
So everything is going to roll 75+ intelligence. I know many barbs that will be disappointed!!! Good thing for Wiz and WD, but other classes lose big time if this becomes real!!! Can't you find another way to buff wiz and wd?

If you read and understood the whole thing:

As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

Then you would have seen "As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence." It's an EXAMPLE of 1 stat range that COULD be rolled on an item. Learn to READ.
Reply Quote
Its true. You farm for 4 hours, and some one who just started the game joins...and within 5 minutes they are linking a nice set drop in the chat. Its why when I solo, I usually don't allow quick joins. And its why I never pub.

Everybody that turns on diablo 3 to farm, knows that they will get NOTHING.

Unless they have 10,000 damage buffed.
or
Unless they play 24 hours non stop and die in the process.

Why did this make me laugh out loud, literally? Why must it be so funny but true?
Reply Quote
The problem (imo) is not the rarity of a high primary stat. Lowering the droprate of items does NOT solve the issue of bad yellows JUST because you change the primary stat.

The stats that change damage in a meaningful way are Prime stats, IAS, Crit chance, and crit damage.

Saying your going to reduce rare drops to 25% of current makes me cry because that just means that instead of 4 crappy yellows I'm going to get 1 crappy yellow. Having 50 extra prime stat doesn't matter because what makes an item "bad" is the secondary stats... + health from Health globes, Thorns, Wizard affixes when Im on my barb.

If your goal is to make drops interesting, fun, and good. Then you need to add new affixes that change damage in a meaningful way AND raise the minimum of affixes currently. (example, level 63 gloves can have 10% crit, they roll with 4.5% or 6%. This is unexciting and disappointing because the niche of people that will use gloves with 6% is so few with the accessibility to 10% gloves.)

If level 63 gloves minimum affixes where raised to be 85%-100% (9.0 crit chance minimum)of their current potential rolls then every time a level 63 item dropped we would know that even if it rolled bad affixes they would be high ones.

The other thing that kind of concerns me is the possible item level. I don't even get a full inventory of items on a full act 3 run. I only pick up ilvl63 and pertinent (class wise) ilvl 62 rares... and all legendaries of course. As of current I get about 75% of my inventory a run. You want to reduce that to 25% of my 75%? If you just made it so that only ilvl62 and up could drop in MP 5+, or made ilvl increase as a Paragon stat (300% increased change to drop a higher item level when an item drops) then I personally would have no problem with less rares. Because then I would be gaining possible upgrades instead of just getting 75% less crappy items....

Finally one of the larger issues to me is that other prime stats can roll on an item. Making it so just INT/STR/DEX can roll on a single item would cut away a TON of clutter. I always hate getting items with Dex, Int, STR on it because it means that I just lost 2 possible good affixes. If what those other prime stats did was more meaningful I would complain, but when 200 int is 20 Resist all.... thats nearly worthless. If 200 Int was 200 RA then it would be a stat I would like to have on gear, or if Dex gave crit damage... Itemization is such a huge thing to me as a gamer who plays this game. I don't know how big it is to others, but its important enough for me to spend the time and type out my opinion about the problem and try to throw potential solutions out there.... even if they are not as good as the devs (I don't do this for a living you know).

I understand the reason you want to scale back the number of rares, I'm just saying that when you do PLEASE make the rares that drop more WORTH it. If the rares that drop are still uninteresting, "clutter" as it was put, this game will have even less appeal for me to play. Please don't F*ck it up.
Edited by Mortae#1162 on 3/20/2013 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
if you want itemization play POE by ggg, D3 is an open sewer drain of disappointment, and these "changes" really won't amount to much in the end. Ive put 400 hours into the game and trust me i wish i could have them all back.
Reply Quote
The problem (imo) is not the rarity of a high primary stat. Lowering the droprate of items does NOT solve the issue of bad yellows JUST because you change the primary stat.

The stats that change damage in a meaningful way are Prime stats, IAS, Crit chance, and crit damage.

Saying your going to reduce rare drops to 25% of current makes me cry because that just means that instead of 4 crappy yellows I'm going to get 1 crappy yellow. Having 50 extra prime stat doesn't matter because what makes an item "bad" is the secondary stats... + health from Health globes, Thorns, Wizard affixes when Im on my barb.

This. I feel like items have been a problem for so long they are going to royally mess it up by reducing drop rates. Narrow the range so there's a greater chance to make the item better AND keep the drop rates the same. That's the only way there is a chance I will be able to get a better item.

The itemization problem cuts to the quick of the problem with this game - the auction house. It ruined itemization. Think about this game with no ah - everything you wear, you found. There would be tons of upgrades and you would get them all the time. As it stands, you can buy the best items you want and the drops just can't compete.
Edited by Rimripper#1555 on 3/20/2013 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Mortae
If 200 Int was 200 RA then it would be a stat I would like to have on gear, or if Dex gave crit damage...

These are the things this game needs to run with. I mean, when it boils down to it, when it comes to stats, you want Primary + VIT in most/all cases... when you see an item with 300+ INT, Its not about "How much Resist all.." its "Well sh*t im on (Non-Wizard/WD job), useless to me".

If each stat had a bonus thats more significant than it is now (And thus, far less worthless), it would open up more ueefulness for them.

Now, With that in mind, they could do something like this... not, this is on top of their (now mostly worthless) bonuses. (Not, even when not mentioned, most numbers are spitballed and are not meant as absolute values)

STR - based on STR, adds a +MInimum/+maximum damage or a flat % Increase in damage. to spitball some numbers... Feel free to adjust them how you see fit... I really don't remember whats a high Main stat value (Something like 2k?)
*Every 50 STR adds +10 Base/+10 Max damage.
or
*Every 75 STR increases Damage by 1%.

DEX - Adds a set amount of Critical hit Rate. Alternatively, A set amount of Critical Hit Damage.
*Every 100DEX adds 1% Critical hit Rate.
or
*Every 75DEX Adds 2.5% Critical hit Damage.

VIT - Fine as is...

INT - No Clue? Maybe enhance the potency of Additional damage, like Fire/ice/etc Element types from Attacks? Or reduce effects of impairing status ailments (Fear/stun/etc)? Maybe just increase its Resist all Bonuses.

In the end, each can add a meaningful stat to items. VIT itself is already a wanted stat across all jobs for obvious reasons...

Now, this won't fix itemization in D3, that would take a lot more planning and thought(Which has been discussed quite well and to death in a multitude of threads), But i think it would make rolling 200-300 DEX on a Barb weapon a lot less painful, when you know it would be adding Critical hit rate or Damage... or 300STR on a DH Weapon, knowing it would be an added bonus to your base damage... so on, so forth...

Just spitballed ideas... Itemization does need some help, and I know theres plenty of more fleshed out ideas around here...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/20/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Pookie258
Everybody I know quit this game because of lack of rewards for time spent.

You must

1.) Post under your D3 tag
2.) Find new friends
3.) Play more characters.

I have a not too big friends list, but the majority of the time i'm on, someone is on playing. I look at the gear I find because it's not all gonna be for my monk. Lots of stuff I find is good for my other characters.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Banksownus-1123/hero/70245

No desire to play other characters on lower mps, especially when you get garbage farming mp10 very fast @ maximum magic find.
Reply Quote

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

SO, in other words, "we want it to feel more like D2."

could be a cow run -
could be a baal run -
could be on the Bloodyfoot hills -
could be a mephisto run -
could be a trash mob -

Go for it. And while you're at it please add in the different socketable types you mentioned (that were also in D2)... I apoligize for the blunt D2 fanboy comments but, it was just really much more fun in most ways and i'm searching to get that feeling back. That search wont stop until

a) i die
b) a better arpg comes along
c) D3 gets the same amount of fun AND diversity in every way D2 had from the variety of trinkets to the open act travel
Reply Quote
I hear the rare drop rate is going to change to become more rarer. I sit there and play the game for a couple of hours a day and no good rare drops so there solution is to make the rare drops less. Sounds like BS and people support this.

As [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196604395#3"]Griffin mentioned[/url], that's only a piece of the story, and you'll fine out more about our upcoming itemization plans in our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696/"]Developer Journal: Itemization Update[/url]. I highly recommend reading through the whole article, because it goes into a lot about our philosophies behind these changes and more.

Here's a snippet:

"We want to make it fun and rewarding to hunt down new items through play, and really instill the feeling that your next awesome item could come from anywhere, and is just around the corner. We need to get rid of some of the clutter first, so we plan to reduce the frequency at which Rare items drop down the road.

Before anyone panics and posts an angry comment in the forums, this doesn't mean we want players to earn even fewer good items. It just means we don't feel it's necessary to present the player with hundreds of bad Rares for every one that they might want. As an example, suppose items currently roll between 1-100 Intelligence. Now, imagine that we dropped 25% as many items, but the Intelligence range was instead somewhere around 75-100. In the end, you'd find fewer items, but more of the items you find would be worth equipping. That's our goal."

Please keep in mind that if it rolled strength or some useless affix I also wouldn't use the item. It's hard enough to even find something usable with intelligence on it.
Reply Quote
I just wish I had stopped buying your games when the original people who started blizzard left and you mouth-breathers took over. I needed an industry insider newsletter when I was a kid. And don't think we didn't notice that when Activision took over you went from 'when it's done' to 'Jesus get it out there who cares if it's the worst thing we've EVER done, MONEY TIME!'. Also Jay Wilson couldn't manage a McDonalds.
Reply Quote
Itemization is just one part of the problem and the devs won't find a winning formula if they just look at this narrow field. The main problem, that every player has just one single primary stat that determines the amount of damage and the value of drops, is not being taken into consideration. In certain others Diablo games the skills - and more specifically the skill levels - were equally important for damage output, allowing for a lot more viable builds and less dependence on gear.
The point being that it's wrong to try and fix itemization without fixing the entire game design first.
None of the blue posts so far has indicated that devs "get it". Even Mr. Travis Day of the Smooth Talks has failed to display a new grasp of the big picture. He wrote in another thread that the devs should be mindful about sending ripples into the player community when making changes. I humbly suggest that those damn ripples better be a full force tsunami.

This is wisdom.

Unfortunately is points out the house of cards that the whole edifice is built upon: hollow to the core.

Vale, Diablo, vale.
Reply Quote
Who thinks this? Have you played WoW? How can you even compare an MMORPG to a Hack-n-Slash game...

On topic:

I think Blizzard is going the right direction with itemization and drop rate. Still, at the moment I'm checking the forums more often than I'm actually playing the game. Hopefully this will change, but I'm afraid the game won't make the necesarry steps to make this game a winner... :(

Played for 6 years my man... had more 70 and 80+ characters than a man should have... yeah, I played it some!
Reply Quote
Heh Guys,

Here my take on this drop rate.. if they can make me save a blue drop in my stash then the D3 dev team have done their job... example i have a blue balrog armor in d2 lod that has still usefullness for me and even for my merc... and this is a blue drop...if they say they want fewer drop but with a better stats on it it better be equal or even better than d2 lod drop. they have better done their homework on how stats should roll. If they can make feel like ohman i almost got that items that can be godly ..since i didnt get it now i will keep going for it that ever elusive godly items...to make it a statement let's just make it like d2 lod..how the drop rate lured you into playing for years.

^

Edit ADD:

a bad one.

6 days ago

basically what you'll have to look forward to is not getting:
+100 int
+5 vit

and instead you'll get something like:
+100 int
+90 vit.

So basically you'll stop getting those items that are soooooo close to being good if it wasn't for this one stat... your trifecta items will actually be worth keeping instead of getting 2 good stats and a bad one.

Just doing the above will be a major problem. I think Blizzard said that the above will only be one of the step, but not all the changes to the item. And I hope it's true. If by the itemization patch, they aren't able to move most players from simple trifecta + (cost reduction/skill damage increment) build, I say Blizzard Staffs are most likely retarded, and instead Blizzard should hire me.
Edited by NuEloS#1547 on 3/26/2013 10:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does anything change? just affix inflation. I m not surprise max stat will be 500 in every slot and average player have 400 something. Once everyone geared to a level and what next? raise the max to 800 - 1000 ?

garbage affix still garbage. We still search for trifecta just the number is increased.

When will we get Mp11 - Mp20 ?

Drop less just hurt the casual player > no gold for an upgrade and no chance to get good from the game. Oh yes most casual player leave and only 24/7 gamers here.
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 3/26/2013 10:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would halve the current Rare drop rate and double the current Legend drop rate.

That would need looking at if they buff affixes, in which case make Rares like a Legend drop e.g. 1 for every Alk run.

Then we can go back to picking up blues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]