Diablo® III

Worth Dropping OWE now?

03/20/2013 03:35 PMPosted by speedforce
Yep, and also consider the way that items roll (prefix > suffix > prefix > suffix) so getting an optimal roll, especially on legendary items, may not be possible.

Afaik there is no such thing as prefix or suffix in D3. I know that was how it was in D2 though. If you look at this site it lists nothing but AFFIXES:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/41045-spoiler-diablo-iii-item-affixes/

If I'm wrong, I'd love to see something that explains what you're talking about though.
Reply Quote
You have no time in game, no leet kills, nothing, yet your at 200+k dps. Your dad must have a good job.
Reply Quote
Here's the thing with dropping OWE: the longer you wait to do it, the more expensive and harder it becomes. At your level of dps/eHP, of course it is going to be expensive as hell to regear and get the same stats. But as others have said, you seem to have already made up your mind that without an almost limitless budget it will never be worth it.

Stop farming COTA and learn to play the AH.

Flipping top items

This right here is exactly your problem. If you value paper stats and the most cost effective way to get there OWE is the clear choice. If you value gameplay, dropping OWE wins. Even with lower end gear levels by today's standards I don't regret my decision of dropping OWE at all. I hardly play these days, but I enjoy that time more now.
Reply Quote

That means OWE AT MOST is worth 180 AR.

This is only true if you get AR on your other slots. If you do not, however, then you are saving money! Perhaps the best example of this is the WH.

WH like mine with any single resist is: 95 for light res and 8/36 or 400 for cold and 9/41.

WH like mine with AR is: ... well, there aren't any.

So let's drop the reqs to 70/70.

Phys res at 20 mill and 8/39. Setting AR as a filter, of any amount, the cheapest is 175. To get over 30 AR though, you're sitting at 300 mill, minimum.

You can do this exercise with just about any piece. Trifecta gloves with 8+ cc/as, 150+ dex and any res? 20 mil. With AR? 125 mil. Trifecta ammy with 8+ cc, 35+ avg dmg, 100+ dex and any res? 4 mil. With AR? There's just 3 - the cheapest is 45 mil, but has 16 AR and the next two are 400 buyout and 333 bid.

Again, the value in OwE is not the ability to double stack - the value is in being able to buy non-AR pieces.
Reply Quote
I'm confused what your argument is Piffle, since OP clearly stated he/she buys gold and that money really isn't a problem with achieving as close to perfection as possible.
Reply Quote
Man, I'm so glad that I had started gearing away from OwE a long time ago.
Two things I noticed:
1 - It was 'cheaper' to do so back then. (I got my gloves for ~50m, but that could be moot with crafting)
2 - the value of my gear has risen

But I love that freedom it brings! Want guiding light? no problem! Want TGP? easy!
Reply Quote
hmm, this conversation inspired me to check my own WH and surprised to see its worth anywhere from 100-150 million just due to the fact that it has secondary resist on there. I haven't sold a OWE piece in a long time so here I was thinking it wasn't worth anything (so I decided to use it instead)
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Weegee
But I love that freedom it brings! Want guiding light? no problem! Want TGP? easy!

*like*

want GL+TGP+combostrike? Oh wai~
Reply Quote
Simply put it, non OWE monks will run any builds to it's most efficiency, whether it's a cookie cutter builds, TR or new bells builds... Anyone argue this have NFI what they're talking about...
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 08:25 PMPosted by Immortal
Simply put it, non OWE monks will run any builds to it's most efficiency, whether it's a cookie cutter builds, TR or new bells builds... Anyone argue this have NFI what they're talking about...

Bingo. Gear creatively (so to save $) and craft, craft, craft - it can take a little time both for AH sniping and obviously hitting a decent craft. If you are resistant to builds, sure it will cost more. Dare to be different and you can still find success... personally, I just tried a no Sweeping Wind build and it's rocking even MP 10 - those Bells HIT HARD.

Spending $250 right now seems absolutely nuts to me with all the incoming gear buffs/changes. To each their own but there's always opportunity costs like charities. I haven't spent more than 100 million on any piece of my gear other than the Skorn (~250 million) and have well over 200k unbuffed and can get close to 400k buffed and DO NOT use OWE. My resists are 450-530. *did just find the Inna's Radiance ;) ...it might be worth more than 100 million, *shrug
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 3/20/2013 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ITT: Guy asks for advice, and then gets mad at every single response.
Reply Quote
popular topics good going guys makes barb forum look good
Reply Quote

See, it all comes down to cost.

Keeping OwE locks up a passive, but it allows you to be flexible with gear. Dropping OwE frees up a passive, but it removes options when it comes to gearing.

The difference in gearing for OwE and not gearing for OwE is cost, and that's it.

100% agree w Piffle on this [edit: somehow messed up the quote]. As my monk started at 1100 resists from 1.02, I considered dropping OWE as I regeared for DPS as my AR was high. I couldn't come close to affording it. I then tried to do it gradually by getting AR on new items "just in case" like the ammy and WD, but again, found it too expensive.
Edited by crushkyle#1915 on 3/20/2013 10:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 08:06 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
I'm confused what your argument is Piffle, since OP clearly stated he/she buys gold and that money really isn't a problem with achieving as close to perfection as possible.

Because I'm not specifically talking about the OP, I'm talking about everyone.

The general argument against using OwE in terms of limiting the gear you can buy is just complete baloney.

Using OwE increases your gear options.

It limits your passive options and that is it.
Reply Quote
Lost bids for both the glove AND the ring. So i guess I wont be dropping OWE for awhile....

Gained 2 paragon levels and 12 brims farming COTA!
Reply Quote
Because I'm not specifically talking about the OP, I'm talking about everyone.

The general argument against using OwE in terms of limiting the gear you can buy is just complete baloney.

Using OwE increases your gear options.

It limits your passive options and that is it.

Actually if you think about it, OWE does in fact limit your choices in a negative way.

Because the cap of secondary resists is 20 less than AR, that means you need it from more sources to achieve the same result. That means for people with ANYTHING less than an unlimited budget, giving up dps rolls potentially.

If you try to get to 600 AR from single stacking both with AND without OWE, you'll find yourself needing it on EVERY non weapon slot for OWE almost. Unless you get perfect 60 rolls, then you have ONE slot free! maybe two if your INT is high enough. With AR rolls, you're looking at 7 max rolls + INT. Usually though, it's a saving of 2-3 affixes.

Not only does using OWE require more total affixes to accomplish the same result, it also requires a passive to do so.

It's called a crutch because it lets you accomplish something sub-optimally. Just because it saves you money doesn't change the fact that it's inefficient from a min/maxing standpoint compared to the alternative.

Many people choose to rid themselves of OWE earlier rather than later, which is a smart choice. As Shade has shown us, the longer you wait to gear out of it, the more you'll end up paying the closer to the top you get.

The real question that each person needs to answer for themselves, is at what point does efficiency outweigh saving money. It's the same reason why people buy Hybrid cars despite them costing more than their non hybrid counterparts.
Reply Quote
cost wise (from cheapest to expensive):
single resist < AR with non-essential stats (non-dex/vit/life% in Monk's case) < double stack resist < essential+AR stats.
Reply Quote
Worth Dropping OWE now?

03/19/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Shade
a). There are too many cons to dropping OWE now.
Edited by Fathme#1690 on 3/21/2013 6:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Fathme
Worth Dropping OWE now?

03/19/2013 09:17 PMPosted by Shade
a). There are too many cons to dropping OWE now.

I would like to disagree with that. The biggest con is whether you can afford to pay for it.

To me, OwE is efficiency in saving money to get good EHP.

With OwE:

Pros:
    More gear selection
    Can get higher overall resist than normal due to double stacking
    Items are cheaper, relative to AR items
Cons:
    Lose a useful stat (less dps or sustain)
    locked into one resist type

Without OwE:

Pros:
    Gain more flexibility in skill choices
    Gain more dps/vit based affixes on items
Cons:
    Expensive to get decent AR (competes with DH)
    Preference is to stack high AR values on each item, therefore limiting selection

..im sure there are other things.
Edited by Weegee#6520 on 3/21/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just a question here, why ES and not the 7 min mantra passive? if you are looking for spirit regain I'd think the 2 spirit/sec would be a bit better than the 1... or is it due to the 100 extra spirit?

Not trying to be an smartbutt, just wondering is all
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]