Diablo® III

Is life steal really that good?

Right now I'm using Tempest Rush which only procs LoH 25% of the time and it's getting rather difficult to stay alive even on MP 3. My question is if I had say 5% life steal and dealing around 100k sheet DPS (155k with Tempest Rush), would I be able to progress onto higher MP levels and stay alive? I have about 35k life and 300 resist all.
Reply Quote
Your DPS is at the point where LS should be better than LOH.

However, your HP and AR could use a boost.
Reply Quote
Yeah lifesteal really starts to shine above 100k dps, give it a go.
Reply Quote
Of course LoH is that good. Just remove it and I guarantee you will see the difference :)

edit. sorry I only have a low plvl monk, not sure how LoH works with monk specific builds :(

edit2. I meant LS not LoH
Edited by ZaPLaS#1243 on 3/15/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LoH scales with AS, the 2 handed tempest rush build has a very slow attack speed. LoH is a pretty horrible stat for slow AS builds. So yes, LS IS that good when you are doing a TR spec. It will vastly increase your survivability.

You have only 220k Effective HP's (Damage reduction/HP's) and a relatively low 83.9% Damage reduction (Armor/RA):

http://d3up.com/b/420886

You can increase your damage reduction and your EHP (I.E., your survivability in higher MP's) by using passive skills like "seize the initiative" and "One with everything (assuming you have or intend to stack a single resistance in addition to RA)" as well as using a different mantra like "Mantra of Evasion/Hard Target"

Those 3 things would put you at 87.3% damage reduction and 279k EHP. The mantra alone would put you at 243K EHP and 85.7% damage reduction respectively. (I know the passives you use add to your TR build). Try the LS and the mantra and see how that feels. That's my advice,

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to get some spirit regen on items before I can toss my passives/mantra aside. So will taking 5% less damage than before really help me out that much? Also, what kinds of defensive stats should I be shooting for? I won't be using One with Everything which is why I've been trying to stack All Resist...would it be better to try to get more AR or get stuff with higher armor?

After I get life steal I can start to phase out my ring and amulet that have LoH and go for higher DPS, which should give me more life steal in return.
Reply Quote
Awesome, that really helps! Thanks!
Reply Quote
Yes you need lifesteal unless you want to tempest rush mp0 and 1 all day. Especially if you use wave of light, healing 5% back from a 1million wave crit is pretty noticeable.
Reply Quote
wow.. you guys actually play tr monk and giving op advise?

tr monk use life per sprit spent... which could be on helm and that all you need..
before you buy anything.. take off all leech and put passive on and try..
Reply Quote
03/15/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Mythrandia
Right now I'm using Tempest Rush which only procs LoH 25% of the time and it's getting rather difficult to stay alive even on MP 3. My question is if I had say 5% life steal and dealing around 100k sheet DPS (155k with Tempest Rush), would I be able to progress onto higher MP levels and stay alive? I have about 35k life and 300 resist all.

ls and loh work much better with high attack speed. Look at my monk, it;s worse than your but i have 2.9% ls and 1.2k loh with 2.3 attack speed. Fists of thunder + serenity spam -> mp4-5 no problem
Reply Quote
More IAS is absolutely crucial for high MP levels for both dps and life steal ticks per second. Eventually, you will find yourself ramming into a brick wall without it.

Tempest rush doesn't scale very well with high IAS. IAS causes TR to tick quicker both damage and cost. As a result the spirit regen required to sustain TR becomes very unrealistic even with fairly low amounts of IAS.
Reply Quote
just example...

let say your helm give you 40life per one sprit spend (there higher number ones)...and have passive that give you 60life per sprit , it total out 100life per sprit
you spend 11 sprit per sec TR ing, that's 1100 life per sec..
when i pop bell when my life goes 2/3, it gets fill instantly.

i use tr build on mp 1 to 3
i use bell build on mp 4 to 7
i use barb for mp 8 to 10
Edited by heliar#1456 on 3/19/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It IS really that good.

I could really tell for my monks survival.
Players used to bash how little the sources of this LL, those were the times getting past 100k dps is so hard.
So yeah, the more DPS you have, the more potent LL is.
The must have for melee chars/Archon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]