Diablo® III

IAS Break Points

Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

I have been watching a few streams of high-end players and I have heard them refer to Break Points for Barbs and Wizards.

So I came here to ask if there is an IAS Break Points that DHs need to know about?

Thanks for your time.
Reply Quote
only one I know of is the one that allows stutter step kiting, where if your IAS isn't high enough you will end up rubber banding. Its also relative to how much APM you have.
Reply Quote
over 2 aps when using Sharpshooter is about the only one for the DH so you can launch 3 lfbs in the 1 second 100% crit window

you could argue you'd like 2.5-3 aps to help maintain near perma stun, but DH doesn't have perma stun due to proc % with thunder ball or grenades

the WZ you hear are probably talking about hitting enough APS for perma freeze spam imo (freeze + apoc + critical mass feedback)
Edited by zoid#1554 on 3/16/2013 8:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2013 07:57 PMPosted by Firestorm
only one I know of is the one that allows stutter step kiting, where if your IAS isn't high enough you will end up rubber banding. Its also relative to how much APM you have.

Would you happen to know the exact amount? I have been having that happen a LOT lately and I figured it was due to my connection or the bnet servers.
Reply Quote
Never had stutter step problems at any dps.

There are attack speed break points. They are quite small, not like in D2, so not something you have to care about if you're not a minmaxer.

You can check it at www.d3rawr.com/d , load a dh, click skill damage.
Reply Quote
There are Ias break points.

As Josef mentions, they are available on www.d3rawr.com

They aren't important at the low-mid tier...however for end-game gearing they are definitely something to take note of, as paying for an extra bit of ias on an item may add 100's of millions to the price and not give you any damage at all (by the same token, you could often afford to drop up to 8 ias before it effect your true damage)
Reply Quote
are those breakpoints on d3rawr really true or just theoretical? not sure if they are tested
Edited by Shdwflare#1288 on 3/17/2013 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 07:47 AMPosted by Shdwflare
are those breakpoints on d3rawr really true or just theoretical? not sure if they are tested

for wicked wind
ticks have been found to clump for the sake of kicking back a proc
http://i.imgur.com/t2vsp.png

the most appropriate are: 2.51, 2.74, 3.01

Inside these breakpoints increasing your attacks per second will only get your more twisters, they will not hit more times per second until you reach the next breakpoint.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641?page=9#168
IIRC they have been tested through LoH recovery (which I found odd)

as for hunger arrow having a "break point" don't know wth they are talking about
Edited by zoid#1554 on 3/17/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
quite sure RLTW and wicked wind ticks it works
not sure abt HA elemental arrow cluster etc
Reply Quote
a lot of that was basing on LoH returns mind you

as Apo notes
01/28/2013 04:23 PMPosted by apo
we just assumed the same numbers apply for CM. But there have been several testcases now, where this doesn't quite add up.

these interactions have their own metrics, where Critical mass can proc x2 as often

it is also perfectly plausible mob types have a factor - while an elite can yield factor of 3, the scorpions around it are only 1

I demonstrated the internal coef of NS was approx x1, suggesting it uses the skill coef exactly
that doesn't mean it is, it just acted very close to it vs a stationary elite

03/17/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Menlyn
you could often afford to drop up to 8 ias before it effect your true damage)
nothing to do with damage, IAS creates APS
Edited by zoid#1554 on 3/17/2013 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 10:23 AMPosted by zoid
as for hunger arrow having a "break point" don't know wth they are talking about

It was brought up before and no one objected, so I thought it was legit. Considering how it worked in D2.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Josef
I thought it was legit.

it's possible there are break points, I just find confirmation quite spurious

I have taken Fraps (SoT)
102 shots @3.168 aps (80% ias with a 1.76 calamity)
101 shots @3.15 aps (79% ias with a 1.76 calamity)

we predict the 3.168 takes over 32 seconds, and yet from the time the first arrow leaves frame to the time the last arrow leaves I approx 30.5 seconds suggesting an increase to approx 3.34 APS

nothing to do with damage obviously, but to DPS

the 3.15 we predict is going to take 32 seconds, and it took 32 seconds

there are always going to be these lingering errors
1) latency more importantly synchronization
2) my recordings are approximated to .25 sec
3) ias calc can change with a patch and be broken/fixed (this is not disclosed)
4) ias on an item could be broken

I added the 1.76 calamity into the rawr calc - my empirical results are very close;
however I reach the approx 3.34 at 80%,

not 81% listed as 3.1579
with the next tier 90% listed as 3.3334

how did they get these results?
how did they confirm them?

03/17/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Josef
Considering how it worked in D2

3D animation is vector; Animations can be dynamically stretched and condensed considering a graph editor

sprite sheets in D2 is like a film strip; i.e. 25 images for a single attack motion. In order to speed it up from 25 into 24 you delete frames; no blending concept. you'd hit the 4% to drop 1/25th of the animation; But also ias suffered a DR to make it IAS = EIAS. so it was also increasing dramatically

D3 doesn't have that- there is nothing about the legacy technology that warrants breaks

D3 could have some as my vdata suggests, but that brings up way more questions. well mainly WHY?
Edited by zoid#1554 on 3/17/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Rounding?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]