Diablo® III

Is MP10 "old" inferno?

Yes, everyone misses this now.
Where you literally had to find ways to survive.
I remember running around and going "OH f**k yes blinding light CD over. Time to go beat their a$$ for 3 seconds."

http://i.imgur.com/Qs0XdEH.jpg

Let's just hope they do not nerf anything else now. Yes... Potions were actually useful back then.
Edited by snowybell#6357 on 5/15/2013 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh old Inferno.
The thing that made me leave this game until about a week ago.
Reply Quote
Oh old Inferno.
The thing that made me leave this game until about a week ago.

lmao, Ya it was pretty bad.

There is no comparable mp level to what inferno was at first. It was almost a completely different game, now you can achieve a state of gear where you can survive and kill everything in any mp and any act where as back then you had to achieve a state of mind where you could stand to play for more than 15 minutes without just going into a rage and smashing your keyboard.
Reply Quote
I don't miss it. Even slightly.
Reply Quote
Considering that I cleared 'old inferno' with a DH in mostly Blue items and later my Monk when I found decent rares (i.e near max LoH/LS in all slots), I miss having to 'try'.

Having to try actually kept me engaged with the game and on my toys.

Old Inferno wouldn't mean much in my current progression gear. I'm in farming gear and I don't use any skills that give God Mode (Serenity) anymore.

Note: My progression gear is in my stash. I only put it on when I feel like farming mp8. I never feel like farming mp8 unless I'm on my barb.
Reply Quote
Inferno at release made me quit the game for two months - spent a long time with real life friends trying to get into Act II before all of us rage-quit.

I came back to find the game doable and began gearing double-stacked resists, armour and HP. Then came the great IAS nerf and then the legendaries buff. Somewhere in between, there was the nerfbat to Inferno mob damage, the nerfs to our defensive abilities and the introduction of Monster Power.

Many things have been changed - in addition to the stuff that posters already mentioned - e.g. no more enrage, etc, old Inferno had champion/elite spawning with ridiculous affixes which meant you died the moment you lost control of your character.

If they want to make current MP system tougher and show how pathetic all other classes and builds are to the CM wizard, they just need to bring back the ability of champion elite having more than the current number affixes. Maybe say 8 or 10.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I played some MP10 today, and couldn't help thinking of the old Inferno, because the mobs took so long to kill, like in the old Inferno.

Except of course, as you guys say, the old Inferno was much worse. Back when the game came out, everybody rushed through Normal-Hell, it was a breeze. Inferno Act 1 was a bit tough, but apart from monsters with absurd affixes, it was doable. Once you geared semi-decently, Act 1 was easy mode.
Act 2, though, was a brick wall. I remember hitting it with a party of a Barb, a DH, and my Monk. My Monk was dead meat. The first honey bee blew the poor Monk away - again and again. Ditto the Barb; the DH simply shot the bee and moved on.
So then the Barb and I stacked armor, vit and AR and could sort of barely survive some fights. The Monk was useless, and, in retrospect, a burden to carry for the other two guys, became back then the multiplayer mob bonuses were absurdly massive. (People realized that and soon after release most serious players farmed alone.) Our way of dealing with elites was the Barbarian's triple nuke - berserker/ ancients/ volcano. That killed some elites. Others were impossible to kill. High base-HP monsters with extra-health were absurdly durable.
We finally beat Act2 by corpse-hopping. We then cleared some of Act3 and farmed here and there. I remember at one point people farmed Rakkis Crossing with Tyrael. Tyrael had insane damage and kept fighting after you died. So you find an elite mob, it kills you, and then you watch Tyrael do the job for you.
The lashers were completely retarded. I remember realizing with horror that my Monk couldn't kill a single lasher in the Tower of the Damned. I could barely survive with a total survivability build... Back then good items were seriously expensive. Right now for about a million you can build a character tougher than the best characters people had in early Inferno.

Yeah... I can't believe I wasted my time playing back then...

MP10 is child's play compared to the old Inferno. Now we have builds which confer near invulnerability to characters. If you are patient enough, you can do MP10 - or you can load up MP3-4 and actually feel like a hero. In the old Inferno it took as long and longer to kill the mobs; the difference was that instead of invulnerable heroes we had monsters (even non-elite; and never mind the fast spider arcane enchanted molten extra health freaks lol) one-shotting the heroes.

The other thing that crossed my mind today is that THIS is what D3 should have been one year ago at vanilla. Not great, but at least playable. Ah well, better later than never. Here's hoping the expo proves decent.
Reply Quote
Everything that r907 said above me.

The old inferno was terrible. I was a DH, and we were considered the best class to go through inferno back then because we could kill some stuff from range or off-screen. But once you ran into a phase beast or soul lasher, it's instant game over to you dear sir, no matter what kind of equipment you packed back then.

I remember having to use screaming skull as a primary attack in order to survive (after the NT nerf)... anything to prevent them from hitting (one-shotting) you! Nobody gives a crap about screaming skull nowadays because it's totally useless when you can just face-roll everything.
Reply Quote
Cant ever compare the old Inferno with things now. all the frustration with Belial, Ghom and Wasp but it was fun
- Belial: you need to actually find and run to the spot where his poison just faded or not there yet when he pops his ultimate skill
- Ghom: kite around the whole freaking room for like 2-3 rounds and use deadly reach
- Wasp: for every wasp you need a serenity pop :)
Reply Quote
Beat inferno on release week...

As a DH... ^_^

Current MP2-3 is about the same as 1.0.4 inferno. Basically original inferno after 2 (or 3) nerfs.

wizards and DHs have been the best class to beat Inferno with though. That was before they got nerfed to the ground though.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 5/23/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2013 12:45 PMPosted by CrniVuk
wizards and DHs have been the best class to beat Inferno with though. That was before they got nerfed to the ground though.
Yah, back at 1.0 the mobs were so tough they just one-shotted you all the time.
The Wizards and the DHs could at least kill from off-screen and kite. They also had nice invul abilities - the Wizard had some buggy armor skill, and the DH's shadow ability lasted quite a while.
Barbs and Monks just died. Some Barbs went ranged. Monks stacked AR, popped Serenity, Blind and Heal 24/7, and took forever to kill even white mobs...
Reply Quote
If you want a feeling for the old inferno.
Brawl vs top demon hunter using only blues.
That's what it was like dodging those bloody lickers in A3.

HP wise, the mobs weren't that tough (relative to today), at about mp2ish, however the spike damage was out of this world. I would have liked to see the current mp system take that into account. I don't want to spend ages beating down 100mills of hp, but give me something dangerous and allow me the option of gearing to tank it, or gearing for a fast kill.
Reply Quote
I didn't start playing until August and ended up beating Inferno under the 1.0.4 patch. It was still pretty tough then but I think I would have no issues with my current gear. I do remember Act IV being brutal as a Monk back then. To the point that I didn't play it again for quite some time. I also remember having to use the portal to get past a final Champion in the last spire level before Diablo as I would just get slaughtered if I tried to stay and face tank it. It was one of those flying mortal dudes with minions. I'd blow all my cooldowns and attack, portal, recharge, rinse and repeat for about 20-30 minutes. Sucked.

I also recall Belial being a rather tough fight until I respec'd and tried a different approach. I think it took me like 10-15 times. Diablo seemed too easy in comparison to some other fights, though it was such a long fight at my low dps at the time that it sucked to die on the 3rd phase and have to fight again for another 15 minutes to get to the same point.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 5/24/2013 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/24/2013 08:52 AMPosted by BigE
I do remember Act IV being brutal as a Monk back then. To the point that I didn't play it again for quite some time.
As far as I know no one plays A4 except to kill Diablo for the achievement, or (back in the day) to break to monotony of A3 runs.

A4 is poorly designed. First, because of the NV system, A4 is unplayable due to its short length and low density of elites.
Second, the overall art design in A4 looks stupid IMO. Doesn't compare to A4 in D2. The first three Acts are all right, though.
And third, the monster design in A4 is lame. For example there are these large behemoth melee creatures who stun you, and there are the large hammer creatures who can insta kill you. Then there are the artillerymen who lob meteors at you from off-screen, and run away when you approach them. Man, are they annoying. So A4 can be annoying to a melee character. And right now all classes are melee classes, but that's beside the point.

I don't think I would play A4 even if they fix it up a bit. I count it as a dead loss. I want to see more than 1 new act in the expo. And I want the expo to come out soon, LoD came out a year after D2, what's with the development cycles? I guess it's fairly clear Bliz have developed a long term model in which they try to keep their flagship games (which is all their games come to think) alive by releasing new content every 2-3 years.

But anyway....
Reply Quote
you know this set is a cold hard DOLLAR right?
you're TOO generous, bro.
Reply Quote
I didn't start playing until August and ended up beating Inferno under the 1.0.4 patch. It was still pretty tough then but I think I would have no issues with my current gear. I do remember Act IV being brutal as a Monk back then. To the point that I didn't play it again for quite some time. I also remember having to use the portal to get past a final Champion in the last spire level before Diablo as I would just get slaughtered if I tried to stay and face tank it. It was one of those flying mortal dudes with minions. I'd blow all my cooldowns and attack, portal, recharge, rinse and repeat for about 20-30 minutes. Sucked.

I also recall Belial being a rather tough fight until I respec'd and tried a different approach. I think it took me like 10-15 times. Diablo seemed too easy in comparison to some other fights, though it was such a long fight at my low dps at the time that it sucked to die on the 3rd phase and have to fight again for another 15 minutes to get to the same point.

1.03 is the patch that nerfed inferno to be a joke, not 1.0.4
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]