Diablo® III

Reasonable feedback 1400hours played. Please read.

First, let me thank the D3 team for this game, I wouldn’t have put in these hours if I didn’t absolutely love it, and I plan to put in another 1400, so long as the team continues working on it, as they have.

The TLDR version of this, I suppose, my main hope for the game, and what I see as its main ‘issue’ is: players’ time and effort is not rewarded. Let me clarify; we are rewarded by more ‘chance’ and the general enjoyment of playing. But I really feel more players would stick around if they knew that putting in more time made us closer to our goals, closer than say, someone who puts in almost no time at all.

Ok, lets get to it, details:

I am fairly happy with my D3 career, all my chars are good. But, here’s the thing, no one is playing this game to be good, we want to be godly. And I am sure as I, most players will tell you they don’t mind working for it. I keep telling myself “today is the day, the day I find that item that makes me godly”, sure, its great the RNG, it keeps us coming back, but when you are a serious player like myself, it gets to a point where now, its just a frustration, its obviously not going to happen… I mean, it Can happen, but comeon, its likely not going to, after all these hours its safe for me to say. And let me say, I took my time, and waited a Good Long time before posting about this, I gave it a serious ‘good shot’ before posting I think, I’m not a complainer, I’m not big into forums. So please give my post a read.

I want Diablo3 to be my main game, I really do, I love ettt, but it gives you this feeling of “this thing!!! Its sooo close to being the best game ever, why? Why? Why an RPG that does not reward time spent?” – and no, I don’t plan on quitting, I may takes breaks, as I am thinking of doing now. And this is why I am writing; because I want D3 to be all it can be, and I want it to have a solid community. But this frustration of the only reward being a slightly better ‘chance’, its totally understandable why so many stop playing.

More:

I love this latest patch… no… I did love this patch 200ammy crafts ago. And I know to a point, its working as intended; it has prevented me from making any more gold (note: I craft an ammy every brimstone and 3gems I find, so it may be well over 200, average 5 a day or so.) but… I am ready to give up now… again, I gave it a good shot, but I’m obviously not going to get the ammy/gloves I want. So this great thing has become a frustration, an ‘Almost again blizz!’ feature, that makes me want to give it up (crafting). (note2: I have made some very good crafts! Thanks!, but again, I’m not in it to be good, I’m in it to be godly!

So, heres my 2cents:

why for the love of pixels, isn’t there something like, say, an xp bar for artisans? You know, say ever 200 crafts your artisan actually learns from his mistakes and crafts something godly? – you know the stats we want. So ya, heck, make it 500, every 500 crafts, you get one trifecta. I’m not greedy, I don’t need it perfect, but, please give us something!

And why not something similar for killing mosters? Loot xp! Every X monsters killed (adjusted more xp for higher mp)you get an ilvl63 legendary when you ‘level up’. And make the guaranteed leg BOA! I don’t care. I’m NOT here because I am greedy, I have no plans to use the rmah, so I am not posting with that motive. I just want some, ANY reward for being a dedicated player.

More:

There are many things, so many things we all can think of to make this game better. Things I hope blizz has in the works… like,

Say, you don’t go with some kind of of guaranteed reward system. Its only RNG, OK. But why not have some control. I mean, why not let us reroll ONE stat on that item that’s so close to being what we wanted. And again, I’m happy to work for it! Make it cost 500 demonic essences.
Why not if we have an imperfect item we like, we can bumb up its stats for a large cost, so say, I got a gloves I like, but its only 8cc… 500 demonic essence for zeropoint5cc upgrade. Heck, 0.1 upgrade. Anything!?!?
-
So here is where I am at. I got my main char good, I am happy with him, I’m not rich, but I got some gold, ok. But there’s this gap where the only way to get items is to spend all my gold, this is a problem, here’s what I mean:

I’m a monk. I dual wield, and I am used to doing 150k dps. But I would love to try a different setup, say, I wanna try ‘life per spirit spent’ vs live leech, or I want to try dual wielding 2+ spirit regen fists. I have no way to do this… unless I drop my dps by 100k, buying weapons I can afford… is this fun? No, its not even worth trying unless you can keep yer power were you want it.

So you tell me? Am I crazy for thinking that someone who spends as much time as can be spent playing shouldn’t have Some control of his/her career? Why haven’t I found myself the items to try this? Its pure insanity that someone can play this much and never find one BIS item. I mean, I’ve had some ‘good’ finds, and saved up to make some ‘good’ chars, but I have never seen a Memo, NEVER, far less to find one with crit. Only one witching hour, and it was kinda bad… but anyway.

Imho… boa saves the day for this game. Make good items drop more often, have boa versions drop for people who play a lot. And also have the rng for people who don’t play much and ‘get lucky’. Because the way it is now, where just one lucky find gets you 2billion, and that’s the ONLY way to make a godly char (besides rmah) is mental taxation.( I mention boa because people seem to care about the economy and rarity and the ah and making gold… and that’s cool, I don’t care really, I want to make not gold: Gods, Nehalem!

Just a little more:

I was very happy to read the itemization blog, my faith in blizz seems well placed. I’d just like to point out/ ask/ vent… why is the current itemization so… weird? I don’t really think its bad. Just a lot of weird decisions. Like, the game DOES HAVE very cool items! Like Azurewrath and Wizspike, and that one that summons the angel. But again, they just make us beg to ask ‘why blizz why!?---ALMOST!’ why are all the coolest items unable to be good?---- I know, I know, there needs to be balance, but why so faaarrrr off?- I tried playing with an azurewrath for fun (for 15 mins :/ ) using it drops my dps by 50k, i understand u don’t want things overpowered, but comeon!—(note: and it’s a gemplay issue too when endgame u need to do a lot of damage to leech…. I suppose you can go with loh…. If yer rich! Or I was finding the items to try it<-- but we covered that!)

Classes quickly:

Monk is my main. Please make non-Thunderclap spirit generators worth using in the endgame. I usually farm on mp6 with thunderclap, for fun I was testing the others in mp3, and I was doing better in mp6, just because of thunderclap! --- note: don’t nerf thunderclap, I love it!, but it would be a delight to change things up some without gimping myself……. Perhaps I need better gear to do that? <- but we covered that!!!

Wizard is my 2nd fav: they need an item, skill or passive that reduces ranged damage so we can actually play mele and wonky builds. Again, so close, almost there blizz!!

Haven’t put in enough time with others classes to know what they need. (still more than most mind you)

So ya, I really want to drive the point home: I am not posting due to greed or ignorance or lack of time spent. I just want all these “Almost there Blizz” feelings to turn into “nailed it Blizz!” feelings.

My suggestions are just generalizations, but you know what I am getting at. I would also like to add that I care nothing about being better than other players. I want us all to grow godly. And the ‘time spent’ is something that everyone will benefit from. I may get 5hours a day, and you may get 5 a week, but in the end, we both see a result. And that’s what we all need.

I play a lot, but don’t think of myself as an elitist, I think if myself as casual in many ways. I don’t need to be perfect (gearwise), I want, what I am sure most want; to get to do those thing we can think of but just can’t because of bad luck, RNG, or just the game’s shortcommings. I want to make that Sleetstorm Mele hybrid wiz that can tank mp10, I don’t gottta do 400k dps doing it, but I don’t wanna be 20kdps doing it, yaknow?, I want to see what 7 spirit regen feels like without dropping 60k and going broke, yaknow?

Game is beautiful, combat is amazingly fluid, all it needs is some Nehalem god men playing it.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 04:38 PMPosted by epogow
its obviously not going to happen… I mean, it Can happen, but comeon, its likely not going to, after all these hours its safe for me to say

I haven't put in 1,400 hours yet but I know how that feels. I'm quite confident I will never find a really valuable item drop.

Your thread has a lot of honesty and heart, and I appreciate that. I really agree with the concept of putting more things in the game that reward time of actually playing the game.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 3/18/2013 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
im about 1100 hours in and i am yet to find anything worth over 50 mil. and ive noticed drops go REALLY downhill since paragon 90. and im killing enough to get 100m xp/hr so its not like im not trying.....
Reply Quote
with a game saturated with bots and dupes, I wouldnt expecto to find anything that sells for over 100m.
Reply Quote
its funny cause i ran across a profile yesterday where an account had FOUR p100 monks, all named notabot. total time played was 2966 hrs which is roughly 10 hrs a day every single day since launch.
Edited by Zekey#1299 on 3/18/2013 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thanks Chillaxin.

Zekey: i feel the same way, i'm in the 90s now. dunno if its just a trick of my mind. today however i did a mp9 run with a friend, got nothing, and after a quick mp6, nothing.

and its totally the point too, something i forgot to mention: its just so weird higher mp lacks reward.
i can manage mp9 and 10 ok, but its still a challenge and takes time to get those packs down, i feel rewarded when they die personally, just so weird the game rarely/dosent take extra effort into mind and drop loot to match.

devs: its all RNG, its all i see people say "RNG RNG". i understand its diablo, randomness needed to be there, but why not something on top?

when yer at the odd end of RNG its just not fun, as most people know.

hate to bring this commonly seen rant, but i will for good measure: i got many 'serious' gamer friends, and they are all dropping diablo3 because of the oddness of RNG.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Zekey
its funny cause i ran across a profile yesterday where an account had FOUR p100 monks, all named notabot. total time played was 2966 hrs which is roughly 10 hrs a day every single day since launch.

thats how good blizzards anti bot system is working
Reply Quote
I'm at around 1000 hours and also played a lot of monk and wiz. (I played ww barb in 104 for a bit too).

If you look at my post history, I'm often trolling qq threads, not because you shouldn't qq, but coz they dont know what they're qq-ing about. Yours on the other hand made a lot of good points I can identify with.

I'm not sure I support the guaranteed rewards idea, but a one-time modest bump (e.g. 20% increase to one selected affix) making it BoA is something I can live with.

The rest, well, like you said, bliz is working on it. I'm down to about 5 hours a week, playing some dota2 and rtkxi mostly now. Let's hope things get better, and soon.
Reply Quote
But why not have some control. I mean, why not let us reroll ONE stat on that item that’s so close to being what we wanted. And again, I’m happy to work for it! Make it cost 500 demonic essences.
Why not if we have an imperfect item we like, we can bumb up its stats for a large cost, so say, I got a gloves I like, but its only 8cc… 500 demonic essence for zeropoint5cc upgrade. Heck, 0.1 upgrade. Anything!?!?

I Understand everything,also i like this idea alot actually.
Reply Quote
finish the game final fight is several times more fun
Reply Quote
why for the love of pixels, isn’t there something like, say, an xp bar for artisans? You know, say ever 200 crafts your artisan actually learns from his mistakes and crafts something godly?

I love the idea of the blacksmith/jeweler becoming actually better with their craft rather than providing more of the same at a different level.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Zekey
im about 1100 hours in and i am yet to find anything worth over 50 mil. and ive noticed drops go REALLY downhill since paragon 90. and im killing enough to get 100m xp/hr so its not like im not trying.

Same here.

I put off my hellfire ring and ruby to slow down the plvl. because i hope to find an item worth 100m + before i get plvl100......
Reply Quote
I crafted 174 gloves last nite and over 300 amulets. all are trash. cos the randomness of affixes are impossible and I need 9%ias, 10%cc at the barest minimum

realistically speaking, if my next ah upgrade is going to cost 2bil. then I expect I need to craft 1.9bil worth to see an upgrade.
Reply Quote
Yeah! Upgrading equipment by the cost of demoniac essences is a very good idea!

Please take a look at my thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8178457789#1
Reply Quote
View profile
I believe that Blizz will solve the itemization problem. How long it will take is unknown, but it will happen. I believe that the devs jobs are on the line. So they have no choice, they have to more home runs from here on out in order to keep their jobs.

All builds do not have to have the same efficiency and never will. Some are there just for fun and not to be used to farm for gear.
Reply Quote
players’ time and effort is not rewarded

We need upgrading by DE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
A lot of honesty right there, applaud you for taking time by writing this.

Been with your frustrations... but after Travis post with the itemization, there is still hope after all for this game. All we're gonna do now is wait and see. :)

Hope someone from Blizz takes time to look at this post.
Reply Quote
But, here’s the thing, no one is playing this game to be good, we want to be godly.

Don't act like you speak for everyone. You don't.

I couldn't care less about infernal machines and monster power. I just wanted a game I could play with friends, build a character, find loot, and beat diablo on inferno.

None of those 4 things happened for me. All my friends stopped playing, changing skills at will makes all characters the same, all loot comes from the AH mini-game, and I guess I could have killed diablo, but what was the point? To prove how good I am at buying some hardcore player's hand-me-downs?

And what does being "godly" even mean? Is it 50K dps? No that was 6 months ago. Is it 150K? What will it be in 6 months? Its all just relative so who cares? And with the AH, none of it is earned anyway.
Reply Quote
Great post++++
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]