Diablo® III

Wizard PvP Build

Also posted in Wiz forums:

I came up with this build for PvP and have been doing pretty well with it. It revolves around burst damage combos and precise timing.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZdQhTk!Wdh!ZacYbZ

Skills:

Ray of Frost - Snow Blast: Good damage, easy to aim, snares, applies Cold Blooded passive.

Wave of Force - Impactful Wave: Good damage, knockback, two second stun, good in combos.

Teleport - Calamity: Good damage, mini knockback. Turns Teleport into a nice offensive weapon when used in conjunction with the other moves in the build. Use Teleport defensively when needed also, but this is a nice trick to have.

Explosive Blast - Obliterate: Good damage, combos well. Obliterate rune is needed in order to combo it with Calamity, or the knockback will take the target out of radius.

Storm Armor - Thunder Storm: Random but frequent damage to anybody within a screen distance. Nice spikes, adds nicely to combos. PvP staple, don't leave home without it.
Edit: Thanks DeadLegacy for the suggestion of Ice Armor + Jagged Ice for Barbs/Monks. Will start using this when necessary :)

Mirror Images - Duplicates: This one is a life saver. Good distraction, good for absorbing blows, clears DoTs (extra useful vs WD and Barb). Without this ability, prepare to die often to one Rend/Haunt/Impale. Use any rune, the DoT clear is the big reason to slot this.

Passives:

Cold Blooded: Since Ray of Frost is my main attack, this is a nice passive. If I tag my target with Ray, I have 4 seconds to strike with one of the available combos for 20% more damage.

Illusionist: Resets cooldown on Teleport and Mirror Images almost every time you get touched. Don't think this one really needs much explaining. PvP essential passive.

Unstable Anomaly: A second chance at life coupled with a big knockback. It resets on death, so every time you respawn you have this in your pocket. Many fights are unwinnable without it. This is also a must have, no question about it.

The combo(s): The idea with this build is to hit people with as many attacks as you can without allowing them a response. To pull this off requires great timing and positioning. An example would be hitting Explosive Blast (1.5 seconds to detonate), wait one second, Teleport/Calamity onto your desired target. Explosive Blast and Calamity will go off just as you land and give you a couple potential big hits. Follow up with Wave of Force which hits fairly hard, knocks back and stuns, back into Ray of Frost with the space created by Wave. All of the abilities can kinda chain together and should be mixed and matched for the situation.

I had a long post written up before detailing my strategies for each class, but it didn't save and I really don't feel like re-writing the wall of text. If there are any PvP Wizards left, give the build a try and see what you think. I have surprised a lot of people with it so far.

Oh.. I do want to give a couple quick tips for fighting DH because these are the most useful. When they vanish, Storm Armor will still attempt to attack them. It won't damage, but you can use this to sort of track them and guess where they are going to appear. When a DH vanishes, I count to 2, start up Explosive Blast, wait one second, Teleport right where I think they are going to appear. I can't count the number of DH's I have vaporized right when they appear without allowing them the chance to re-vanish.

All criticisms/questions welcomed. Thanks for reading, happy killing
Edited by Spoonster#1685 on 3/12/2013 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Should try the go full EHP tank, get 5 flashes of insight (Arcane Dynamo), swap to full DPS with skorn, Teleport, activate Archon - Arcane Destruction. Then go 1:0, leave game, sell wizard, buy baba.
Reply Quote
SELLLLL MAGIC MAN!

U BUY BABA!

YOU WIN PVP!

Reply Quote
SELLLLL MAGIC MAN!

U BUY BABA!

YOU WIN PVP!

LOLLLL
Reply Quote
I like the idea of the combo TP/EB. Pretty inventive !
Reply Quote
I appreciate the "buy baba" suggestions, as I know it would make PvP MUCH easier on me... but this thread is for the stubborn masochist Wizards that actually enjoy PvP on an inherently inferior class (if there are any left).

Wizard may be bottom of the PvP food chain, but it just makes it that much sweeter when you do well and wrack up kills on people that are expecting to mop you up :)

Mannercookie, that Barbarian scares the living hell out of me. That is a good example of a character I would never be able to kill with my Wiz, lol.
Edited by Spoonster#1685 on 3/12/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 07:41 PMPosted by alpahc
I like the idea of the combo TP/EB. Pretty inventive !

Thanks! Takes a lot of practice to start landing it consistently, but it is a wicked little burst (when it doesn't get dodged). It takes some baiting/setup to get people with it once they figure out what I'm doing, but I do pretty well in the "cat and mouse" game and can usually find an eventual opening.

Biggest weakness of this build are EHP stacked Barbs with Sprint. Can't burst em down, can't keep 'em away. Very hard (impossible?) fight unless I outgear them. I don't think there is a Wiz build out there that could deal with the Uber-geared EHP Sprinters. If there is one, I'd love to know it :)
Edited by Spoonster#1685 on 3/12/2013 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the issue with Wizards at the moment is the top geared players of other classes. Sure any class can win when the player out-gears the other player, but at the top level of gear, the classes really start to segregate a bit. As you mentioned, top Barbarians are nearly impossible to kill but the same is true about the other classes as well. Wizard needs a boost for PVP, something along the lines of temporary invincibility or crowd control immunity as well as some better movement options.
Reply Quote
03/12/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Iria
I think the issue with Wizards at the moment is the top geared players of other classes. Sure any class can win when the player out-gears the other player, but at the top level of gear, the classes really start to segregate a bit. As you mentioned, top Barbarians are nearly impossible to kill but the same is true about the other classes as well. Wizard needs a boost for PVP, something along the lines of temporary invincibility or crowd control immunity as well as some better movement options.

Agreed on all points. I know Wizards are the worst and never stated otherwise. Just wanted to share a fun/different build that I thought might help some people enjoy PvP a bit more until something is done, that's all. I have hung in there kill for kill with plenty of people that outgear me using this build, which was not true when I was running other builds (there are a few levels of gear between mine and uber). It's a fun build and actually requires a bit of skill to play.

I did not intend for this post to come across as me saying that Wiz are just as good as every other class in PvP if you use this build. If that is how it came across, my apologies. Wizards need to work with what we have currently, and this is the best I have been able to come up with.
Edited by Spoonster#1685 on 3/12/2013 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's great of you to try and see what is doable with what is currently available. Just don't press your luck against top players of other classes until Blizzard does some modifications. Also, wizard may be viable in 2v2 team play (without storm armor of course), so it might still be ok until then!
Reply Quote
I don't think there is a Wiz build out there that could deal with the Uber-geared EHP Sprinters. If there is one, I'd love to know it :)

Ive fought your wiz before with my barb, and I recently rolled a wiz to theory craft some tactics, heres a few I think are effective:

Vs a barb;
-mirror/duplicates is worthless as a rune choice, rend will hit them all, I would use mocking demise for stun or mimic with frost nova set, its a good way to get in free cc if illusionist is continually being triggered.

-arcane dynamo + Arcane destruction, this is a great tactic to burst down an ehp barb, Ive seen it crit for 3-5mil, teleport to them, frost nova/time warp, explode. even if it misses the archon close range attack can deal 1mil +, --- it seems cheap on such a long cooldown but it can swing a few wins your way and force the barb to be less aggressive else they get exploded.

-ditch storm armor, great against other ranged but at best this tickles a barb, your better off with ice armor/jagged/chilling or energy armor/force/prismatic for the extra mit. Also Ice armor jagged pwns monks when stacked with blur.

-spectral blades, if you have a cold soj/tal amulet these will proc cold blooded, and any other +element damage you have on gear will make these proc any element specific passive (+fire on gear will make them proc conflagration etc), These blades strike 5 or so times per cast, I had them crit for nearly 300k per strike, very very damaging and with impact (80% speed reduction on hit), hard to get away from, also impact will work on your
mirror mimics. Its worth noting these can get +14% from soj and oculus, so this tactic is very gear dependent.

Ive tested these a lot though my wizards gear is not yet competitive in pvp, these are some of the best ways I could find to cut down a barb in tests. Hope this gave you some ideas on how to break barbs. :)
Reply Quote
Great post DeadLegacy, thanks. Awesome stuff =) Good Barbs are by far my hardest fight.

I don't often find myself alone in games with geared Barbs, but when I do, I switch in Frost Nova/Bone Chill for Explosive Blast and switch my MI rune to Mocking Demise. It only seems to delay the inevitable though and lately I haven't even been bothering. For some reason I never thought about switching to Ice Armor, but will definitely be doing that from now on when the 1v1 vs Barbs come up (editing that into OP too). Definitely gonna try Mimics as well for extra Novas.

I tend to stick to my normal build when other classes are present, but I am gonna try this stuff out next time I am getting mauled by a Barb in a FFA. I may even re-think my rune on Mirror Images entirely. Duplicates seems effective for eating Spirit Barrages, Fan of Knives, 7 Sided Strike and such, but maybe it's time I try the others more extensively. I liked what Duplicates was doing for me against most classes and just kinda left it alone.

The Arcane Dynamo + Arcane Destruction thing I have considered before. I don't doubt the effectiveness, but it just isn't my style. I would not get any satisfaction from killing my opponent that way and I'd rather win or lose playing "properly" :P

I really appreciate the feedback, sir. These are the kinds of responses I was hoping for other than just "Wiz sucks U buy Baba" (although those were pretty funny >.<). I am excited to try out Ice Armor and Mimics vs Barbs :)
Edited by Spoonster#1685 on 3/12/2013 5:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Great to see a wiz want to fight. I had some experience vs all kinds of build and I'm happy to share with you in game.
Reply Quote
BTW, I saw your spec and found a lot of life reg. Just wonder if this life reg is gonna work against any class expect for rend and run barb. With you mit and hp pool, most of the class can kill you in 5 sec.
Reply Quote
Well I would go for a sneaky witch doc but ok
Reply Quote
Stack the !@#$ out of dps and let storm armor do the work. lol
Reply Quote
Love PvP builds. I'm looking at a wiz soon with the arcane mine buff. Good stuff man, keep the PvP builds coming. Currently rocking a DH and WD in PvP and i %!@!!!#* those of similar gear spec.
Reply Quote
I'm just starting back up again, but I notice that you deal much less damage in PvP compared to elsewhere. Can anyone point me to the a page that lists all the mechanical change compared to PVE?

I've slowly leveling a "rogue Wiz" right now. I'm far from 60, so I have no idea how this would work out in a real PvP. I'm aiming for my final setup to be Frost Nova/Explosive Blast/Tornado/Teleport, and I plan on using Spectral Blade as my main damage source (since ya know, rogue). The idea is to run around, then when anyone gets close, Frost Nova them, spam EVERYTHING, teleport away.
Like I said, not sure how this would work out, but it seems to offer some really nice burst..theoretically.
The question would be, is it even possible to burst someone down while they're disabled?
Reply Quote
Although it seems impossible, nothing is impossible! hehe, nor do i think Blizzard would make it THAT unbalanced. Through many trials and errors and of course still much to improve, i have found a few tricks to give you a chance against these gigantic Barbs. However, a pretty high dps and some attack speed is required.

Freezing/Kiting combo.

Active Skills: Frozen Storm Blizzard / Frost Nova Bone Chill / Mirror Images Mimic / Storm Armor Scramble / Wave of Force Impact / Magic Missile

Passives: Critical Mass / Cold Blood / (Player's Choice: Arcane Dynamo \ Unstable Anomaly \ Astral Presence) (Glass Cannon if you think you can handle it, the extra dps will Definitely help, if you can afford it)

* Very helpful if you have items with the following: Chance to Freeze on Hit, Chance to Stun on hit, Chance to Immobilize on hit. (Witching Hours is a very good place to get Chance to Freeze)

- Just Keep Kiting, laying down blizzards, if they get too close use Frost Nova or Wave of Force to create some distance. Making sure you have established that distance, and you have a good freeze lock on, just bomb on them with Magic Missile. This is where that DPS will shine. If you have SOJ, thats a possible 20-30% + 15% from Nova + 20% from Cold Blood + your DPS that they will be taking! If they get Free, repeat Process. Great places are the Island and around the Fountain. Mirror Images with Mimic rune on, your decoys will Freeze and force push on their own hence either giving you more kiting ability or giving you more freezing chances. Speed is Key here when you have them in freeze lock. CM is favored here mainly because, Barbs and Monks rarely actually "melee" hit you. A barb will just sprint and run away and monks usually will open up with Blind and Wave, which usually one shots you. So rarely will they trigger your Illusionist. ALSO! if you find yourself successful and have the Barb down to its last few HP, don't be fooled!! Those last few HP are the Hardest to drop! be on your Guard!

Please let me know what you think. If you find this interesting, I will share my other strategies that i have found to be pretty effective. ( Stun / Freeze Lock CM Strategy, Hydra / Storm Paralyze Strategy ) Again.. this isn't 100% and only works if you have some pretty good Dps / Ehp Gear going on. All criticisms are welcomed, as i am constantly trying to improve our Poor Wizard PvP ways!

* I myself use a few different sets of weapons/off hands, but I find for this, a good Sloraks Madness with socket / high CD / and good Magic Missile Bonus Damage + Cold SOJ 25-30% with 10-12% Magic Missile Bonus is very effective to cut down those Thick armored EHP of some Barbs.
Edited by FR0G#1123 on 4/27/2013 6:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]